How much has SEO changed?

by krull
26 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I've been out of the loop for a while. I hear Google changes their algorithms and the way it ranks pages very often, so I'm wondering if standard SEO techniques from a few years ago still applies.

I think I may need to read up on a newer course for SEO or something.
#changed #seo
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    It's still all about quality links/text.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8443881].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Google never really changes their core algo. But so many gurus
      go gaga over nothing. What google changes, is how they detect
      and deal with the same old same old crap that webmasters keep
      trying to shmooze the results with.

      Example. Spammed links by the thousands. Google says hey, we'll
      crack down. Webmasters say, okay, I'll just vary my anchor text,
      that'll get around it. So gurus come out with some anchor text BS,
      when the real item was spammed links. But all you hear about is
      how google is changing some anchor text algo. Nope. Nothing to
      do with anchor text, really. It's about spammed links. But the more
      webmasters think spammed links, the more google has to think of
      ways to crack down on the creative ways idiotic webmasters try
      and spam links. Now, where are there a ton of spammed links? Oh,
      forum sigs. So again, some guru comes out with some BS about
      google changing about forum links. Nope. It's about SPAMMED
      links. But do they ever just stop spamming links? Nope. So google
      comes up with yet another way to crack down on spammed links.
      All the while the gurus are screaming that google is cracking down
      on forum links. So the spammers think of more ways to spam links.

      Ditto for other such popular talk about some algo change.

      Most every algo change is about cracking down on webmasters
      trying to get around something that google has been saying for
      years.

      I'll say this much. SEO has morphed into "shmoozing google" and
      link building. And that's what has changed. SEO no more actually
      means search engine optimization to lots of people.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444005].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author internetmagnet
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        Google never really changes their core algo. But so many gurus
        go gaga over nothing. What google changes, is how they detect
        and deal with the same old same old crap that webmasters keep
        trying to shmooze the results with.

        Example. Spammed links by the thousands. Google says hey, we'll
        crack down. Webmasters say, okay, I'll just vary my anchor text,
        that'll get around it. So gurus come out with some anchor text BS,
        when the real item was spammed links. But all you hear about is
        how google is changing some anchor text algo. Nope. Nothing to
        do with anchor text, really. It's about spammed links. But the more
        webmasters think spammed links, the more google has to think of
        ways to crack down on the creative ways idiotic webmasters try
        and spam links. Now, where are there a ton of spammed links? Oh,
        forum sigs. So again, some guru comes out with some BS about
        google changing about forum links. Nope. It's about SPAMMED
        links. But do they ever just stop spamming links? Nope. So google
        comes up with yet another way to crack down on spammed links.
        All the while the gurus are screaming that google is cracking down
        on forum links. So the spammers think of more ways to spam links.

        Ditto for other such popular talk about some algo change.

        Most every algo change is about cracking down on webmasters
        trying to get around something that google has been saying for
        years.

        I'll say this much. SEO has morphed into "shmoozing google" and
        link building. And that's what has changed. SEO no more actually
        means search engine optimization to lots of people.

        Paul
        I agree with paulgl.

        But well we need to use caution at every step of building links now.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8446545].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
      I was going to answer a long one, but Paul and Yuk made it perfectly clear:

      Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

      SEO no more actually means search engine optimization to lots of people.
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      It's still all about quality links/text.
      Signature
      People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444508].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author boosters
    SEO has always been the same only the Google scares you about their updates. Quality links, Unique content and no shitty spamming sites will save your site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8443969].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      If you were into using tools to create links and blasting a lot of links then it has changed substantially. If you were about getting qualtiy links on high authority pages individually without autobot tools then it has not changed much at all.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444004].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pryidevsblog
      Originally Posted by boosters View Post

      SEO has always been the same only the Google scares you about their updates. Quality links, Unique content and no shitty spamming sites will save your site.

      Yeah, Boosters,
      You are right SEO is the same as it is in past. No changes are come in the SEO. Only Google scares to all of us by their updates and also surprise with their new services.
      Signature

      Are you looking for Magento Custom Development and Android Apps Developer than your search ends here.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8501315].message }}
  • Google is taking us back to white hat backlinks deluxe. It is all about great content with the right LSI keywords, correct balance of anchor text, not over optimizing your main keyword and doing good onpage SEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SoCal Digital
    I think Paulgl hit it the nail on the head. If you create a website that is quick, has optimized Titles and content for the keywords that you want to rank for and then you share it on social media, quality articles, PRs, blogs etc. then your website will be ok.

    A lot of people do worry about algo updates all the time (including myself) however things always seem to just be shifting around. I would recommend on finding ways to provide real value with your websites and content that it helps others
    Signature

    Search engine optimization and social media marketing services http://www.socaldigitalmarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author A S M
    Did real white hat SEO ever change? quality links and content was always there.

    But you should read up nonetheless: )

    Aris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444333].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KSixJeremy
    When you are providing quality links and content you should usually always have some level of success. I do agree that a lot of black hat methods have changed quite a bit though!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8444489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    Most SEO expert I know have packed up and looking for a day job, that's to tell you how serious the war on spam is taken by Google.

    In 3 sentences I will highlight what works:

    1. Quality high PR links not the profile, directory, wiki type but an actual link from an authority site/page with real PR.

    2. Relevance - Getting links from sites related to your niche has proven to work real well.

    3. Quality content...

    Cheers!
    John
    Signature
    Grow your social media account, Spotify Streams, YT Views & IG Followers & More
    Software & Mobile APP Developer
    Buy Spotify, Facebook Bot & IG M/S Method
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8446690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RandySwanston
    Originally Posted by krull View Post

    I've been out of the loop for a while. I hear Google changes their algorithms and the way it ranks pages very often, so I'm wondering if standard SEO techniques from a few years ago still applies.

    I think I may need to read up on a newer course for SEO or something.
    By now, (via this thread) I hope you would have got some idea on the current trend of SEO. Nothing more nothing less, just quality links and quality content is what going to help you.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8446986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim Wallace
    Some fundamental factors are not changed, new factors right noe
    Signature

    So crazy about Neodymium Magnets.
    So crazy for Meuble salle de bain and Wholesale Chinese Products.
    So cazy about Toy Bus Model

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8447008].message }}
  • Originally Posted by krull View Post

    I've been out of the loop for a while. I hear Google changes their algorithms and the way it ranks pages very often, so I'm wondering if standard SEO techniques from a few years ago still applies.

    I think I may need to read up on a newer course for SEO or something.
    It is not going to be any different as long as your basics are right. If you want shortcuts, google keeps ensuring all shortcuts are patched up
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461103].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Klemen Znidar
    Depends what do you mean by standard techniques from few years ago.

    The "blast your website with scrapebox and senuke" does not work anymore.

    It's all about building quality content and also quality "contextual" backlinks.

    And you don't need as much links anymore. Can rank good with only a handful but quality ones (:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461139].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adystanley
    SEO changed alot. I've seen a lot of sites with strong link profile and unique content which ranks very bad. So it's not all about quality links and content. There are many other new factors which may rank your site to top of Google or not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hrkjds
    SEO works is very simple. But people makes it complicated by their own view, own opinion, own strategies. Google has simply described what they want to see in a website and what we don't need to do. But they are also scaring people by panda, penguin etc update. But real think is that SEO is simple and fun work. Every work's success depends on quality, so SEO needs quality, efforts and patience and thus success will be at your door.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarkKapoor
    yeah the thing got changed very much, now the work is totally all about quality.
    Signature

    Your Online Phote Repair Shop where all the restoration and repairing task is done at cheap rate.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461333].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PBScott
    I feel most people these days do not even know what SEO was all about, that is building websites that Search Engines can read. Most people these days are using a website solution such as wordpress, magento and other such programs and templates which are already optimized.

    Most people seem to be talking about backlinks, anchor text, PR and things that used to be called SEM I think.

    Keyword tags and Descriptions are mostly not used anymore for SEO, and you can no longer get bonus traffic with exact match keywords and misspellings like you used to. SEO is pretty much dead...but SEM...which seems to be called SEO now is still going strong.

    Also most backlinks these days are "no Follow" which does not pass you any pagerank, but might still help optimize your page for keywords.

    I do not want to start any squabbling over definitions by saying this, define SEO however you want, but on page optimization, and exact match longtail keywords are definitely not what they used to be.
    Signature

    If you don't look at this => Really Funny Shirts <= you missed something in life

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author praveenshkgp
    I think check alex becker and Mathew Woodward thats all google them go visit their site. They give all their knowledge mostly for free, you will understand the current state of SEO
    Signature

    Hi guys

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461358].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author patco
    I don't think SEO has changed at all... You still need to build QUALTIY and RELATED to your website links for best results... The only thing that changed is that there are DIFFERENT ways to build such backlinks and people should choose some of them
    Signature

    A blog that will show you How to Lose Weight with a cool Quick Weight Loss guide...
    Also enjoy some of my favorite Funny pictures and photos that will make you smile :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JSammy
    Im rather new here so can I assume the sarcasm is relative to quite a few spammers looking for a quick way here to get on top of goggle?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8499987].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danlew
    Even though there are certain changes about the Google algorithm, just try to build some more high quality links and engage it with social media like Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc. Once your site is gaining some authority, you don't need to worry about the SEO changes, as long quality is always there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8500181].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    What's changed? People throw the word 'quality' around more than ever now
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8501380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author asepkomara
    Quality contents and backlinks still matter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8501530].message }}

Trending Topics