Keyword research .... Just checking

12 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I think I have found a targeted niche, I have a few .com domain names available with keyword in the title and now I want to research the keywords a little more as Google Trends are all looking good.

I will use Google keyword planner but should I be looking for low competition words and what numbers do you guys look for in terms of monthly searches and value?

Is Google keyword tool enough or do you use another tool as well?

Thanks
#checking #keyword #research
  • Profile picture of the author RizeAcademy
    I typically look for keywords with 1,000+ searches and a cpc of $1+
    I use Keyword Planner for all the data and Long Tail Pro to analyze the competition.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674577].message }}
    • Originally Posted by RizeAcademy View Post

      I typically look for keywords with 1,000+ searches and a cpc of $1+
      I use Keyword Planner for all the data and Long Tail Pro to analyze the competition.
      Thanks, what about high, medium and low
      Signature

      I Make Peanut Butter :-)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seomaster5
    Well if you want to take my opinion i will not recommend any other tool before you. Keyword planner would be enough yo find what you want
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8675056].message }}
    • Originally Posted by seomaster5 View Post

      Well if you want to take my opinion i will not recommend any other tool before you. Keyword planner would be enough yo find what you want
      Thanks, I use Keyword planner only really, at least for now
      Signature

      I Make Peanut Butter :-)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8675067].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Marketaire
        Originally Posted by wholesale blogger View Post

        Thanks, I use Keyword planner only really, at least for now
        That's all you really need to begin with, everything else can be sorted in Excel. Depending on the niche, I'd select keywords with no less than 500-700 exact queries/month.

        Also, since you're using trends, also be sure to forecast and estimate potential on-site activity and set goals surrounding it. If you have a goal in mind, reverse the process to ensure these keywords have the potential to drive achievement.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8676007].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Marketaire View Post

          That's all you really need to begin with, everything else can be sorted in Excel. Depending on the niche, I'd select keywords with no less than 500-700 exact queries/month.

          Also, since you're using trends, also be sure to forecast and estimate potential on-site activity and set goals surrounding it. If you have a goal in mind, reverse the process to ensure these keywords have the potential to drive achievement.
          With so much going around in my head I have not even thought about goals as yet

          Thanks
          Signature

          I Make Peanut Butter :-)

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8676641].message }}
  • Thanks Mark
    Signature

    I Make Peanut Butter :-)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8676961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CharlesL
    Yes you should be looking for low competition, but I wouldn't assess the competition using Keyword Planner. I'd recommend Long Tail Pro. As for search volume, I'd look for a minimum of 1500+ searches a month.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8677009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Like most keyword research threads, this one has a lot of bad advice in it.

    First of all, nobody can tell you what search volume to target. That's foolish if they do. It depends entirely on what you are selling and what kind of conversions you expect. If I'm selling something that nets me a profit of $5000 per sale, I'll target a keyword that only gets 12 searches a month. However, if I only make $0.03 cents a sale, I'm obviously going to need much higher volume.

    Second, if you are doing research for SEO purposes, ignore the competition metric in the Google Keyword Planner. It has NOTHING to do with SEO. It has to do with the level of competition among AdWords advertisers. If anything, you probably would want to target keywords with "high" competition though. That tells you there is money to be made in the keyword or there wouldn't be so many people bidding on it.
    Signature
    SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
    Get a FREE Quote.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8677095].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    Originally Posted by wholesale blogger View Post

    I will use Google keyword planner but should I be looking for low competition words and what numbers do you guys look for in terms of monthly searches and value?

    Is Google keyword tool enough or do you use another tool as well?

    Thanks
    Google Keyword Tool coupled with SEOSpyGlass and also your sixth sense.

    As far as search term is concern, the higher the better.

    I have been doing IM for quite sometime and can tell you that targeted traffic of 10 visitors to 100+ daily can set you rolling, it all depends on your product, price and landing page (conversion).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680481].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author greenharbor
      I would recommend using a proper keyword research tool my friend other than keyword planner.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680964].message }}

Trending Topics