Stop Blaming Google For Low Rankings, It's your Fault

by zaccks
36 replies
  • SEO
  • |
What happened tо mу rankings?

Aѕ a TEST I сrеаtеd lоw ԛuаlitу content and got a bunсh оf wоrthlеѕѕ linkѕ роinting to it. Mу ѕitе ranked раgе оnе fоr whilе but nоw it'ѕ on page 86, whаt happened?"

I am nоt ѕауing that thоѕе tасtiс dоn't wоrk, there аrе wоrthlеѕѕ ѕitеѕ rаnking number оnе in Gооglе as wе ѕреаk. Juѕt don't bе ѕurрriѕеd whеn yours dоеѕn't anymore.

Aѕk yourself, did mу site deserve tо rаnk? Did it рrоvidе high ԛuаlitу content that ѕеаrсhеrѕ in Google wоuld find useful? If the аnѕwеr is nо, then all thаt happened iѕ thе аlgоrithm did itѕ jоb.

Have уоu ever ѕееn a роѕt like thiѕ?

"I сrеаtеd uniԛuе аnd high ԛuаlitу соntеnt within a niсhе I аm vеrу fаmiliаr with. I built relationships with others within thе niche аnd rесеivеd mаnу high quality back-links. I focused on mу viѕitоrѕ nееdѕ and mаdе mуѕеlf extremely accessible but nоw mу sites rаnkingѕ hаvе fаllеn completely off the mар."

The answer is no.
I аm аll аbоut trying tо gаmе the ѕуѕtеm, juѕt dоn't be ѕurрriѕеd whеn Google gets it right.
#blaming #fault #google #low #rankings #stop #website ranking
  • Profile picture of the author holder21
    Originally Posted by zaccks View Post

    What happened tо mу rankings?

    Aѕ a TEST I сrеаtеd lоw ԛuаlitу content and got a bunсh оf wоrthlеѕѕ linkѕ роinting to it. Mу ѕitе ranked раgе оnе fоr whilе but nоw it'ѕ on page 86, whаt happened?"

    I am nоt ѕауing that thоѕе tасtiс dоn't wоrk, there аrе wоrthlеѕѕ ѕitеѕ rаnking number оnе in Gооglе as wе ѕреаk. Juѕt don't bе ѕurрriѕеd whеn yours dоеѕn't anymore.

    Aѕk yourself, did mу site deserve tо rаnk? Did it рrоvidе high ԛuаlitу content that ѕеаrсhеrѕ in Google wоuld find useful? If the аnѕwеr is nо, then all thаt happened iѕ thе аlgоrithm did itѕ jоb.

    Have уоu ever ѕееn a роѕt like thiѕ?

    "I сrеаtеd uniԛuе аnd high ԛuаlitу соntеnt within a niсhе I аm vеrу fаmiliаr with. I built relationships with others within thе niche аnd rесеivеd mаnу high quality back-links. I focused on mу viѕitоrѕ nееdѕ and mаdе mуѕеlf extremely accessible but nоw mу sites rаnkingѕ hаvе fаllеn completely off the mар."

    The answer is no.
    I аm аll аbоut trying tо gаmе the ѕуѕtеm, juѕt dоn't be ѕurрriѕеd whеn Google gets it right.
    Google has never defined what quality content it's looking for they just throw their algorithm with their unknown criteria and if your site doesn't have that then bang your ranking lost.
    I have seen many quality website got victim of their update.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8824804].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ghoster
      Originally Posted by holder21 View Post

      Google has never defined what quality content it's looking for they just throw their algorithm with their unknown criteria and if your site doesn't have that then bang your ranking lost.
      I have seen many quality website got victim of their update.
      Pretty sure that by "quality content" they mean grammatically sound content that readers will find useful.

      I don't think they're being coy about that.

      This type of content ensures that their search engine remains #1. SEOs aren't their customers, "regular" people are.

      Nice post, OP.
      Signature

      On the whole, you get what you pay for.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8976875].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kmanbloquet
    Google is very smart. They know when people are trying to gain the system and artificially bump up their rankings. Google places value on quality links and quality content that leads to your site. They can see right through the cheap press releases and links.
    Signature
    Livinsport is a social networking site for athletes,coaches scouts and even fans to interact and connect. Make an account for Free today!!

    CrowdSparked
    is a crowd-funding platform for students looking to raise money to further their education. Sign-up for our Beta Trial Today!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8824884].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      I see tons of people claiming that they have made tons of
      unique and quality content. Problem is, nobody cares about
      unique and quality content. Google has never said they love
      quality or unique content.

      You have a choice. Game the system using techniques that work,
      or, cross your fingers. Sometimes crossing your fingers works or
      appears to work, because you are doing no harm, and some
      things are better left to nature.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8824929].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hipeopo02
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        Problem is, nobody cares about
        unique and quality content.
        Paul
        Sorry but you're wrong about this one. Last month's numbers didnt come backlinks and gaming the system on my main site. I have real world experience on this topic and transcribed it to a site. my backlinks aren't impressive and it is now a PR2 which isn't very high so it probably doesn't mean much with G's logrithmic scale but the rank and traffic is there because the content is real not copy/spun/stolen (unique) and there is a demand for it (quality)
        Signature
        A crappy product or service by people that disappear from the forum for a long period of time to make it look like they were working on something so when they come back you will want to click on their crappy product or service link

        CLICK HERE! LOL
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    LMAO,

    I'm looking at a niche keyword right now in Google SERPs where the #1 ranked page is 100% blank, not a single bit of text on the Google Cache (text version). To top it off, If you search the ranked page title (without quotes) they have 4 Google Mega Sitelinks (not those tiny regular sitelinks). I'm talking internal pages here, not index pages.

    You guys crack me up with your mile long pages of quality content for SEO.

    Don't get me wrong, traffic needs decent content but as far as SEO forget it unless your trying to rank one page for a boat load of different keywords but that's done a whole lot easier going for one main keyword per each page.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8825311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin Maguire
    I think what he means is more about keeping your current visitors coming back. Making relationships within the area to me would keep you in business longer.

    I hate the niche I'm in, I fell into it by accident and have absolutely no interest in it. All my writing is outsourced it bores me that much. Next year I want to start a site about an old passion of mine. It's going to need more branding then SEO though and will cost a lot of money. So I will have to really have a good year working this boring shit first.

    But yeah I can't wait to do something I like.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826148].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Kevin Maguire View Post

      I think what he means is more about keeping your current visitors coming back. Making relationships within the area to me would keep you in business longer.

      I hate the niche I'm in, I fell into it by accident and have absolutely no interest in it. All my writing is outsourced it bores me that much. Next year I want to start a site about an old passion of mine. It's going to need more branding then SEO though and will cost a lot of money. So I will have to really have a good year working this boring shit first.

      But yeah I can't wait to do something I like.
      Domain & hosting don't cost much, why wait?

      I refuse to blog about toaster ovens. :p
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826203].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kevin Maguire
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        Domain & hosting don't cost much, why wait?

        I refuse to blog about toaster ovens. :p
        Yeah maybe. Burning too much of my free time here too. Funny..

        I want to do a Poker site. I would like to get on the road and work live from big events, things like that. Sponsor my own events moving forward.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826228].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ExcelAddin
          Originally Posted by Kevin Maguire View Post

          Yeah maybe. Burning too much of my free time here too. Funny..

          I want to do a Poker site. I would like to get on the road and work live from big events, things like that. Sponsor my own events moving forward.
          to be honest, trying to get a Poker site up and running is one of my aims, but there is so much competition in this market that it is nigh-on impossible, sadly..

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8967846].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
            Theres really about five topics on this forum and they just get reposted in different ways over and over and over again with no real substance even in the replies.

            SEO is really dead......in some places.
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8967927].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author 4D
            Originally Posted by ExcelAddin View Post

            to be honest, trying to get a Poker site up and running is one of my aims, but there is so much competition in this market that it is nigh-on impossible, sadly..

            I rank gaming sites, I don't see the fuss.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8983057].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seonutshell
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        I refuse to blog about toaster ovens. :p
        But dem 4 slice toasters tho
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8833016].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author heavysm
      Originally Posted by Kevin Maguire View Post

      I think what he means is more about keeping your current visitors coming back. Making relationships within the area to me would keep you in business longer.

      I hate the niche I'm in, I fell into it by accident and have absolutely no interest in it. All my writing is outsourced it bores me that much. Next year I want to start a site about an old passion of mine. It's going to need more branding then SEO though and will cost a lot of money. So I will have to really have a good year working this boring shit first.

      But yeah I can't wait to do something I like.
      One of my very first niche sites was about music and promoting a very specific product that paid high commissions but i had zero interest in.

      I even forced myself to write the articles and try to make it work out. I made a few sales because it was so easy to rank in 2010/11 but there was literally no personal connection between me and the site.

      It was only within the past couple years that I've put together a really nice long term project that brings in nice $$ daily, but only from consistent work (its the fitness market so I outsource some of the more in depth articles). But most of the stuff is my own doing, link outreach etc and reaching out to other fitness people to connect for mutual guest blogging.

      Dare I say that i actually enjoy what I do and I'm excited for the future content/ evolution of my site?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8982696].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trade4861
    Personally I think there are a few ways Google may be able to determine quality content. Where Google will often rank a page much higher in SERPs then other web pages, if you meet the content qualifiers. But I like to keep that secret...just incase I’m right.

    Anyway, you don’t need to write quality content to get first in Google. But chances are if your number one with low quality content then you’ve either built links to the page or keyword spammed the page in a manner that makes keywords unique to a search. Or the page could be feeding off a link that has high authority on your website. Heck, I got a few pages that make no sense and get nearly 5000 visitors a month...and no links pointing to them. I guess you call those doorway pages.

    I think Google can identify quality content, but the system is still flawed to content writing tricks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DPM70
    "Anyway, you don’t need to write quality content to get first in Google. But chances are if your number one with low quality content then you’ve either built links to the page or keyword spammed the page in a manner that makes keywords unique to a search."

    You can do all that and still have "quality" content. I know how to write quality content. You'll still get canned. Links or no links. Best bet is to diversify into traffic other than Google.
    Signature
    I don't build in order to have clients. I have clients in order to build. - Ayn Rand
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Anton
    Originally Posted by zaccks View Post

    What happened tо mу rankings?

    Aѕ a TEST I сrеаtеd lоw ԛuаlitу content and got a bunсh оf wоrthlеѕѕ linkѕ роinting to it. Mу ѕitе ranked раgе оnе fоr whilе but nоw it'ѕ on page 86, whаt happened?
    Too many variables. I see what you're saying but you should create a site with low quality content and high quality link building and see if you still remain on page 86.

    The truth is many webmasters don't have "low quality content", it's just that they were hit by an offpage algorithm because tactics that worked in 2009, didn't work in 2010, those in 2011 didn't work in 2012, those in 2012 didn't work in 2013, and of course it will continue to change in 2014 and beyond.

    A better piece of advice is "don't chase the algorithm". Diversify heavily with different social network signals, types of links and their anchor text. Content of course plays a role, but don't think you should judge those that were hit, when some sites have amazing content, but got caught up in algorithm wars.
    Signature
    BacklinksIndexer - automated index/bulk links
    TwitterBacklinks - retweets service
    Web2.0Backlinks - web2.0 creation/link building
    Google+ Matthew Anton
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8826304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrShabir
    As i know google always update and update becuase google never want to give stable ranking to any one because if google fix any think like what he want then everyone will do that and no one will use adwords , The main reason to drop ranking is this ( User come to adwords and google earn more and more) .
    But Google can't stop SEO , Because if google stop SEO then there will be no competition and then why people use adwords,
    Google play with ranking just for adwords,
    Signature
    Classify - Classified Ads WordPress Theme : Start You Ads Business in a min.
    Classiera - Classified Ads WordPress Theme : Start Your Classified website with Classiera.
    BeTube Video WordPress Theme : A Biggest Theme for Video Blog and Magazine
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8827249].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jacob martin
      I am totally agree with you mate google only drop PR because of adwords.



      Originally Posted by MrShabir View Post

      As i know google always update and update becuase google never want to give stable ranking to any one because if google fix any think like what he want then everyone will do that and no one will use adwords , The main reason to drop ranking is this ( User come to adwords and google earn more and more) .
      But Google can't stop SEO , Because if google stop SEO then there will be no competition and then why people use adwords,
      Google play with ranking just for adwords,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8827721].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rahmanpaidar
      Originally Posted by MrShabir View Post

      As i know google always update and update becuase google never want to give stable ranking to any one because if google fix any think like what he want then everyone will do that and no one will use adwords
      There are only ten places in first page. Can you imagine one day you wake up and search a word in Google and see nearly 1400 sites in first page just because all those sites don't want to use adwords?

      Originally Posted by MrShabir View Post

      The main reason to drop ranking is this ( User come to adwords and google earn more and more) .
      There are always ten sites in first page of serp. no matter if people use adwords or not. If google drop a site, it will fill up automatically by another site.

      Originally Posted by MrShabir View Post

      But Google can't stop SEO , Because if google stop SEO then there will be no competition and then why people use adwords,
      Google play with ranking just for adwords,
      Plain nonsense.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8830751].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ghoster
      Originally Posted by MrShabir View Post

      As i know google always update and update becuase google never want to give stable ranking to any one because if google fix any think like what he want then everyone will do that and no one will use adwords , The main reason to drop ranking is this ( User come to adwords and google earn more and more) .
      But Google can't stop SEO , Because if google stop SEO then there will be no competition and then why people use adwords,
      Google play with ranking just for adwords,
      That's probably part of it, but it's not the entire story. Google has a vested interest in remaining the #1 search engine and the only way they can do that is to give searchers what they want.
      Signature

      On the whole, you get what you pay for.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8976919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DizenSounds
    People would rather blame something than take responsibility. Those same people will complain and place blame elsewhere in their lives as well.

    It's easier to blame others than to step up and be a man (or woman)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8828572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMdeaming
    Wow you guys completely missed the point. Stop making crap. Whether that be content or backlinks. Stop focusing on stuff that just get's flushed down the toilet. It's 2014 for christ sake.
    Signature
    Something stinks...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8830806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoed
    Nice post OP but it's very interesting that you have a link to Alex Becker's seo course and Alex always says that you can also rank with shitty content provided you have high quality backlinks pointing to it and he is right with it.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8830824].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by seoed View Post

      Nice post OP but it's very interesting that you have a link to Alex Becker's seo course and Alex always says that you can also rank with shitty content provided you have high quality backlinks pointing to it and he is right with it.
      It's IM double talk (do as I say, not as I do).

      Affiliate links trump everything else.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8830858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crazymatt
    Agree. Churn and burn sites, go with low content and back links.

    For a long run, try to build an authority site that people will like.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8832345].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsage7
    google hates affiliates and penalizes those who only want to make a quick buck. I think the best choice is building an authority site with valuable new information. Also, implementing social seo is a must nowadays
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8832974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrShabir
    Originally Posted by rahmanpaidar View Post

    There are only ten places in first page. Can you imagine one day you wake up and search a word in Google and see nearly 1400 sites in first page just because all those sites don't want to use adwords?
    Hello Mr You got my word wrong, I say google can't give stay-able ranking to any one, You will see 10 website then other come and then other come on top.
    Daily change in ranking, Its google strategy , google never want any website stay on top.
    But if you use Adwords then you can always stay on first page.
    Just Pay to Google and stay on first page.
    Originally Posted by rahmanpaidar View Post

    There are always ten sites in first page of serp. no matter if people use adwords or not. If google drop a site, it will fill up automatically by another site.
    Yes i agree , There will be always 10 website, But i have one point, You have any idea why drop site and why come other website??????
    Because its competition, And why Google create this competition??????
    why Google create this competition??????
    And answer is this people come to adwords, If any one use adwords then website PR wil increase and also ranking will increase and many other things.
    But i think you need to learn about Google and SEO.

    rahmanpaidar You use word. (Plain nonsense.)

    I just want to say one word for this " Lack of knowledge"
    Signature
    Classify - Classified Ads WordPress Theme : Start You Ads Business in a min.
    Classiera - Classified Ads WordPress Theme : Start Your Classified website with Classiera.
    BeTube Video WordPress Theme : A Biggest Theme for Video Blog and Magazine
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8833943].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IMdeaming
      Originally Posted by MrShabir View Post

      And answer is this people come to adwords, If any one use adwords then website PR wil increase and also ranking will increase and many other things.
      But i think you need to learn about Google and SEO.

      rahmanpaidar You use word. (Plain nonsense.)

      I just want to say one word for this " Lack of knowledge"
      The irony here is amazing. Well done sir. :rolleyes:
      Signature
      Something stinks...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8834269].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mogamre
    I question this criteria of Google. Seems that they are only here to ruin your business. Following what they want you to do, means you need millions to invest.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8834284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oscarfishlover
    Writers wouldn't get their books published if what they wrote wasn't what people were looking for. The same goes for websites, if you write a crap article Then don't moan when nobody reads it. An informational website is all about content and how well it is written.

    Saying that nobody cares about unique or quality content is just a load of rubbish.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8967991].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author satrap
    Originally Posted by zaccks View Post

    What happened tо mу rankings?

    Have уоu ever ѕееn a роѕt like thiѕ?

    "I сrеаtеd uniԛuе аnd high ԛuаlitу соntеnt within a niсhе I аm vеrу fаmiliаr with. I built relationships with others within thе niche аnd rесеivеd mаnу high quality back-links. I focused on mу viѕitоrѕ nееdѕ and mаdе mуѕеlf extremely accessible but nоw mу sites rаnkingѕ hаvе fаllеn completely off the mар."
    Yes, many many times!
    Signature
    60 Awesome Ways to Make Money Without a Job
    .................................
    Check out my blog Survey Satrap featuring honest reviews of paid survey sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8976932].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mainak
      Yes google do all the things at right way.

      If ranking fall then it is our duty to know the fault of our's. We can use webmaster tool for this.

      And i personally think that most of the times ranking fall poorly because of spamming activity.
      Google hates spam. Not just google we all www users hate's spam.

      So just stop spamming like; posting same thing too much in social media, using hidden text in page/pages and etc.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8978379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yoangov
    Content have always been important piece of the SEO puzzle, and it will always be. However, it's a fact that Google is acting strange for some niches, and it ranks websites that do not deserve to be ranked at all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8978742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author azhar
    I dont think so, "Google play for ranking for just adword", its totally wrong. Google did the right, Google just focus on quality content and quality backlinks. If we use quality ways of SEO we can surely get high position.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8979889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AntonioSeegars1
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981876].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
      Originally Posted by AntonioSeegars1 View Post

      The only reason Google attacks some people, is because they do things to artificially boost their rankings. With that said, it's kind of lame what Google does, because most people who get started on the internet are not already famous in the offline world, so they have to do something to get noticed.
      Google doesn't attack people, and they very rarely even call companies out on their shitty behaviour. These people are taking shortcuts or even faking the whole thing. That's lame, not the fact that Google is trying to combat spam to keep their results relevant.

      There's a lot of legitimate ways to get yourself noticed. Your site needs to be useful, interesting, cool and/or funny to stand out. Where do you think all the minor internet celebrities came from? Or the companies that revolve around web properties?
      Signature
      Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
      Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

      What's your excuse?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8982688].message }}

Trending Topics