Big Changes to YouTube SEO

by rimam1
54 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hey guys,

There are lots of people noticing YouTube videos dropping from the SERP's. I wonder if it's because they were spamming them with crappy links and exact match anchor text, or if something bigger is going on.

Thoughts?

Raza
#big #seo #youtube
  • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
    I think Google might be researching and changing the way the videos are shown in SERPs. They're testing different sizes and placements for sure, but I don't know about anything else. I've got the feeling that something is going on.

    Do you know if the "lost" videos are in the video tab of the search view?
    Signature
    Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
    Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

    What's your excuse?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8980930].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rimam1
      I saw two videos that were on page 1 of Google for monster keywords just drop down to page 6. Looks like a -50 penalty.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8980999].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author chris_87
        Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post

        I saw two videos that were on page 1 of Google for monster keywords just drop down to page 6. Looks like a -50 penalty.
        Did you check the backlinks? Are they being spammed by low quality sites with over optimized anchor text?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981002].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post

        I saw two videos that were on page 1 of Google for monster keywords just drop down to page 6. Looks like a -50 penalty.
        Click the Video tab at the top of Google Search.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981006].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rimam1
          The videos ranked in Google SERP's without having to click the "Videos" link up top.

          It's there when you click "Videos", but I doubt many people do that.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981094].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Banned
            Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post

            It's there when you click "Videos"
            Which means there's no penalty.

            Build some decent links instead of crappy links.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981122].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author paulgl
          Originally Posted by yukon View Post

          Click the Video tab at the top of Google Search.
          yeah...add to that that the majority of video searches are done on..*gasp* youtube,
          and what did one EVER expect? I can't even remember when I clicked on some video
          in a google web search...

          You people need to start thinking like the rest of the world, and not as somebody
          doing SEO.

          Paul
          Signature

          If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981727].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Banned
            Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

            yeah...add to that that the majority of video searches are done on..*gasp* youtube,
            and what did one EVER expect? I can't even remember when I clicked on some video
            in a google web search...

            You people need to start thinking like the rest of the world, and not as somebody
            doing SEO.

            Paul
            The point was that video tab in Google SERPs shows the video is still indexed. Yes traffic does click video thumbnail images in Google search, it's the easiest way to boost SERP CTR with little extra work. Ranking a self hosted video in Google SERPs has zero competition once traffic clicks the video in Google SERPs since I own the web page.

            The difference here is these guys are trying to rank YT videos while I'm ranking money pages.

            I never understood ranking a YT video on Google SERPs then trying to funnel traffic off YT back to a money site/page (Google > Yt > money page). The more clicks traffic has to do to get to a money page the more traffic drops off, plus nobody goes on YT to watch a single video, that right sidebar on YT is loaded with competition.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8982102].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
              So called "ranking on google" using youtube pages reminds me of the old days when people claimed they ranked number one of Google using ezinearticle.

              It need not be a penalty but a change based on various metrics in order to combat Imers. Its bound to happen either way. Imers using Google properties are destined to be slapped - its Google after all.
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8982162].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Dentist
              Originally Posted by yukon View Post

              The point was that video tab in Google SERPs shows the video is still indexed. Yes traffic does click video thumbnail images in Google search, it's the easiest way to boost SERP CTR with little extra work. Ranking a self hosted video in Google SERPs has zero competition once traffic clicks the video in Google SERPs since I own the web page.

              The difference here is these guys are trying to rank YT videos while I'm ranking money pages.

              I never understood ranking a YT video on Google SERPs then trying to funnel traffic off YT back to a money site/page (Google > Yt > money page). The more clicks traffic has to do to get to a money page the more traffic drops off, plus nobody goes on YT to watch a single video, that right sidebar on YT is loaded with competition.
              I have been trying to do the same thing for a while, but couldn't so far. I added the video as a media file to an existing WordPress blog post to boost its ranking. Nothing happened because Google doesn't recognize the video although the video is there and working properly. I know a video sitemap works, but don't know how to do it. Any other suggestions?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8983583].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author rimam1
              Yukon,

              I agree that ranking a page with an embedded YouTube video increases CTR. I see someone doing it in the fitness/muscle building niche and it's actually the only YouTube video in the SERP's that I actually clicked.

              It almost seems that the YouTube videos and images on the middle of page 1 are a buffer to prevent people from clicking the results below them. Almost a way to cock block SEO's who can make it to page 1, but can't quite get to the top 3 results.

              By the way, how do you setup a page to rank an embedded YouTube video?

              Raza
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8986717].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author John Robbins
                I have noticed that some of my YouTube videos have dropped in rankings too, most of mine are slow feed bookmarks web 2.0's and syndication, some have dropped some have not, however you may notice I mentioned syndication, here's the kicker, their Metacafe Vimeo and Daily Motion equivilents (same video) have not dropped in serps, and those only ever have natural links from sites scraping the videos, not sure if Google once noticing this will be happy with themselves as they are now giving their opposition more video traffic. Any one else notice this? I also posted some wiki links to two of my videos last week, those two are the most heavily penalised, so it looks as if wiki links are possibly a no no for YT Vids now, link diversity I think also has a lot to do with this, like websites if you over contextualize the main KW then again my theory is that this is now going to get noticed. videos from 2012 and before are however totally uneffected Comments?
                Signature

                John Robbins Local Biz Seo Video Marketing and Seo
                John Robbins Online Business Coach

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8993717].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
              Originally Posted by yukon View Post

              The point was that video tab in Google SERPs shows the video is still indexed. Yes traffic does click video thumbnail images in Google search, it's the easiest way to boost SERP CTR with little extra work. Ranking a self hosted video in Google SERPs has zero competition once traffic clicks the video in Google SERPs since I own the web page.
              I've got a number of keywords where I'm ranking both a YouTube video & site on page 1. The amount of traffic the video generates compared to the site is pretty amazing in some cases. I agree, it's definitely a big boost to CTR.

              I'm slowly but surely moving off of YT and bringing videos to my own site. Interested to see how well they rank as opposed to YT itself.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9003870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PhotogJohn
    I surprised this isn't a bigger discussion yet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HypnoHugh
    It is high time Google cracked down on spammy video ranking techniques.

    There have been so many WSOs, 'gurus', SEO forums etc going on about how it is so easy to rank videos with spammy links from Fiverr, that Google was always going to tak action sooner rather than later.

    Abbs has a video about it here:
    Some videos boasted about in a video ranking WSO just last week have now plummeted in rankings!

    Google has already started cracking down on fake views which a lot of people use to help their rankings: Google Vows to Reduce Fake YouTube Views - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)

    I would be very careful about using spammy tactics on important or client videos.

    A sea change is coming.

    In fact I would be highly suspicious of any video ranking courses published before April 2014 - they are outdated at best, likely soon obsolete and at worst will get your account flagged.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981209].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Lol at all the drama.

    You already know there's no penalty, you said they ranked with crappy links & still show under the video tab. So what, what's the big deal?

    I'm looking at a very popular keyword in Google SERPs, first page is still loaded with YT videos.

    No big deal.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981228].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rimam1
      Yukon,

      The one thing I like about you is your sense of objectivity and rationality.

      So it's confirmed, crappy links don't work on YT like they used to.

      Raza
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981239].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
        Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post

        Yukon,

        The one thing I like about you is your sense of objectivity and rationality.

        So it's confirmed, crappy links don't work on YT like they used to.

        Raza
        The problem is, I'm not sure how Yukon can be "objective" about ranking videos with spam when he is a whitehat marketer (afaik).

        And I hate when rumors like this get spread because they are completely false. Spam is >>still working<< to rank videos. If you ask me, its working better than ever right now. Because people don't really seem to understand whats going on.

        Over the last few months youtube HAS cracked down. But you need to know the back story. They made a promise to their investors back in December, that they would get rid of "fake click" providers. That was the promise that was broadcast on tv and radio in the media.

        What actually happened is youtube started patching retention view scripts like never before. Like they use to do a patch every few months, then they started doing them every month, then every week, then literally every 2-3 days. And it took out nearly ALL retention view suppliers on blackhatworld. You'd see them patch what YT did then YT would patch what they did a few days later.... over and over and over. Then hysteria built up so much and a bunch of random newbies made a thread about it.

        Then that hysteria has slowly been migrating to warrior forum and other places on the web.

        Keep in mind, the real blackhat video marketers do no hang out on this forum.

        I know a lot of them, and I talk privately with them by skype and email. They are ALL killing it right now with spam. And it has actually become EASIER to rank videos with spam.

        Let me explain why:

        1) YTs aggressive actions only took out the shittiest of RV suppliers. This includes RV suppliers that were using cheap, crappy scripts to deliver their RV's.

        2) That is ALL we have real evidence of. And we can back up that evidence just by looking at all the sellers who went out of business.

        3) Let me reiterate, YTs actions have been boldy against retention views. NOT people using spam backlinks to rank videos, but retention views. And many people are assuming the problem is backlinks because they haven't found a new retention view supplier. They keep using the same ones, getting their videos banned then blame it on backlinks. I had one newbie tell me that his video was "deranked" because of the spam he used. Then I went to his account and looked at his video, and realized that Google didn't "derank" anything. It was youtube who DELETED his original video, then REUPLOADED it to his account. And he never even looked at the date on his video to realize what youtube had done. He just saw the video in his account, saw it wasn't ranking anymore, and didn't even bother to figure out that YT is deleting videos and reuploading them if they suspect you're using retention views.

        Thats whats leading to all these false red flags and rumors.

        So let me explain the "new way" to rank on youtube (what spammers are doing).

        The new way requires that you spend A LOT of money testing retention view suppliers. I put down quite a bit of money to do NOTHING but test every retention view supplier I could. And 90% of them lead to my videos getting banned (youtube would delete them then reupload them to my account). And at one point I even suspected myself that it was my backlinks.

        That was right up until I found an underground RV supplier. And then NONE of my videos were getting banned. They ALL started ranking 100xs easier, faster and my GSA spam started working again like normally.

        So what you see right now is a silent war between patchable RV suppliers and nonpatchable RV suppliers.

        Patchable RV suppliers are saying stuff like "order my service, my views can't be patched" but then you order their service, and 3-4 weeks later your video is GONE. Then the supplier says "it must have been your video content or backlinks". And unexperienced marketers don't know how to isolate what the real problem is, so they buy into what these suppliers are telling them, which is >>>> FALSE.

        Nonpatchable RV suppliers are much harder to find. The only way you can really find them is by investing money and running tons of split tests.

        And I was able to find several new, nonpatchable RV suppliers just by doing weeks of research, and using as many different suppliers as possible. The ones that were successful, I kept using them to make sure I didn't get lucky. And its now that I'm realizing that their technique is truley "nonpatchable". Which means the way they're getting views, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for youtube to patch the method. Because they're NOT using scripts. They're doing something much smarter that I would prefer not to talk about (its basically a smart way of exploiting view exchange sites).

        And right now, my videos are ranking BETTER than they EVER HAVE.

        The reason is that a STRIKING MAJORITY of video marketers have thrown the towel in and said "screw this". Youtube HAS successfully ruined the lives of many video marketers.

        But I have found at least a dozen marketers who were smart enough to do what I did, and they are now ranking videos easier than ever.

        Because there is virtually NO COMPETITION right now on youtube. Its amazing. All the idiot marketers using patchable methods, they're getting their videos taken down like clockwork in 2-4 weeks.

        Meanwhile, I have videos moving up the SERPs to page 1 of G every other week. And I have a few videos ranking for some highly competitive keywords. I have been BLASTING these videos with GSA some for 9 months now and they've been #1 the entire time. My entire link profile isn't GSA though. When I started those videos I used a mix of high pr links with GSA. Then after they ranked I just continued using GSA to keep them ranked.

        These days I prefer low competition keywords. Cause I can rank a lot more. They typically rank in 4-6 weeks and once they're up they don't drop. They rank faster, convert faster, and its much easier to get traffic by going for the low hanging fruit. Some of these keywords get like 10,000-30,000 searches a month. And I've actually seen competitors videos ranking right above mine (as I'm ranking) then their videos get taken down and mine stick. And its a great feeling to actually KNOW what I'm doing.

        When it comes to ranking sites is another story. But ranking videos is one thing I know how to do. And I can personally vouch for the fact that there are many marketers still banking off spam.

        -RS
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9031987].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author akamrmel
    Wow. Interesting. Did Google only do this with big competitive keywords?
    I'd be interested if it still worked for smaller keywords
    Signature

    Do you generate Payday or Mortgage leads? Shoot me a pm and we can talk more!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HypnoHugh
    If there is a new penalty we will have to wait and see as it has only been reported in the last couple of days.

    But even if this is a false alarm you can bet Matt Cutts & the web spam team are not going to put up with internet marketers exploiting the video ranking loophole for long.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981500].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bodyrock
    I haven't noticed changes in my rankings. If there really is a major drop of YouTube videos from the SERP it may be due to the new design YouTube has introduced recently. I don't know if you have noticed but there is a change in the design and few new features, like the option to hide the left sidebar, and the floating header.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8981858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chris_87
    Honestly, is anyone surprised this wasn't going to happen sooner later? Build junk links, and guess what happens in the long run?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8982027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
    I was actually thinking of the regular videos and changing SERP visibility. OP was talking about IM spam all along, so I'm off topic.

    Not surprised if the IM video spam got slapped. The market for this SEO trick has been booming. Apparently the makers of certain spam tool (added: the same one mentioned in the video above) got a hefty payday because their product was pushed by several big name marketers. That may have led to a torrent of fresh link spam from inexperienced users.
    Signature
    Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
    Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

    What's your excuse?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8982549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dentist
    Apparently, all of those free plugins are for blog posts with YouTube video embeds and none of them is for uploading a video directly to WordPress blog post as a media file. Also, there are none with good reviews.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8985454].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
      Originally Posted by Dentist View Post

      Apparently, all of those free plugins are for blog posts with YouTube video embeds and none of them is for uploading a video directly to WordPress blog post as a media file. Also, there are none with good reviews.
      You need to add microdata definitions of the video file to the page. Yoast has premium plugin for that, but I don't know about others.

      If you want more better answers, try to not hijack unrelated threads.
      Signature
      Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
      Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

      What's your excuse?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8986285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fivercraze
    Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post

    Hey guys,

    There are lots of people noticing YouTube videos dropping from the SERP's. I wonder if it's because they were spamming them with crappy links and exact match anchor text, or if something bigger is going on.

    Thoughts?

    Raza
    For sure the reason is that people are buying links to get there videos higher in ranking yes you willl be ranked high with that but soon google will track it and will push you back or will penalise that video to be on google ..
    SO its better to get backlinks that are related to your video and just not buy nay crap links..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8986290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dataguru1
    Crappy links will effect your youtube SERPs !!!!
    try to use title and description exactly defining the Video with correct landing weblinks !!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8986302].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gsinfovision
    Banned
    Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post

    Hey guys,

    There are lots of people noticing YouTube videos dropping from the SERP's. I wonder if it's because they were spamming them with crappy links and exact match anchor text, or if something bigger is going on.

    Thoughts?

    Raza
    Youtube has long been the neglected (yet talented) child of Google. I think they've finally decided to give it some nutrition too. One thing's for sure - they are now very strict about spam on Youtube too. I think this one started happening right after "video response" was removed from youtube.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8986654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    This is going to be a big blow on crappy link users...

    Google and web spam is here to stay and only the authority sites gets the love.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9004038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chad Kimball
    none of my videos were affected and I've been using *ahem* backlinks that were um controversial.

    the difference is, all my videos have high PR links from my own network of sites as well.

    and the videos are quality, not crappy copyright infringement targets
    Signature
    Make Money Using Google Maps
    Click Below to Learn How-Free Videos


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9026283].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author humbledmarket
    Banned
    To be honest I don't think there are many big changes to be concern about though I'm not surprise that Youtube would be working with their algorithm as there's a lot of less favorable activity with Youtube & SEO because of it's simplicity.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032283].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    @ RedShifted

    I'm not quoting that wall of text...

    It doesn't matter how anyone ranks a page, what matters is ranking YT video pages on Google SERPs & driving traffic back to a self hosted sales page is silly. The more hoops you force traffic through before they get to a checkout page the more you'll lose that same traffic.

    That bl@ckhat/whitehat talk has nothing to do with lost traffic (Youtube right sidebar). Again, nobody gets on Youtube to watch a single video.

    Rank your own video page & you have zero competition to deal with once traffic lands on your sales page.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032329].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      @ RedShifted

      I'm not quoting that wall of text...
      Thanks for telling me.

      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      @ RedShiftedIt doesn't matter how anyone ranks a page, what matters is ranking YT video pages on Google SERPs & driving traffic back to a self hosted sales page is silly.
      First, you are completely wrong. It DOES matter how someone ranks a page. Because ranking a YT video is NOT the same thing as ranking a webpage. If thats what you believe, I don't believe you've done a lot of YT marketing.

      You can use software, you don't have to build links like the nazis are after you, its quicker, easier, and you have the authority of YT backing you up. The fact is I have spammed hundreds of videos to page 1 of G and 95% of stuck. Even all my old ones back from a couple years ago.

      So please explain HOW I can do that using a webpage? Ranking YT videos is EASY, CHEAP AND EFFECTIVE.

      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      The more hoops you force traffic through before they get to a checkout page the more you'll lose that same traffic.
      Yes, but you are missing many points. First, a lot of the times its only 2 clicks. 1 to youtube, then 1 to the affiliate salespage where they can buy. Or a local sites so they can call. Thats not what I'd call a lot of hoops.

      Second, I'm not "forcing traffic". Traffic is leading itself, under the influence of my great copy. And its very easy to make people click 2Xs in a row if you know how to presell.

      Weigh that in with the fact that its easier to rank videos and that makes YT marketing a more than viable option.

      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      That bl@ckhat/whitehat talk has nothing to do with lost traffic (Youtube right sidebar). Again, nobody gets on Youtube to watch a single video.
      To your first sentence. I don't care about the sidebar because sidebars are FULL of spam. And I have confidence in my ability to deliver better copy than most my competitors. So EVEN IF they view their videos they're more than likely to come back to mine. I am not an idiot. I can sell.

      Second, MANY people go on youtube to watch a single video. I know I do it multiple times a day. A LOT of people need *answers quick* and don't want to waste a lot of time. They might go through 2-3 videos, go back to yours, and you win.

      Finally, since its easy to rank YT videos and they stick it makes sense to not care about a bit of lost traffic. Its all about ROI and what you can add to your funnel.

      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Rank your own video page & you have zero competition to deal with once traffic lands on your sales page.
      Not true. MANY PEOPLE leave a website. But on youtube comments can be a very STRONG source of social proof. I'd think most internet illiterates would be more likely to trust youtube than some random site. So it adds a good backing.

      Finally, the point you are missing most is that its smarter to do BOTH a web page AND youtube. Which will get you more traffic than just a site. Youtube allows you to extend your funnel, get more traffic, and its just a piece of puzzle. If you like small funnels thats cool. But criticize YouTube? For what?

      Its a GREAT PIECE of an intelligent, economical, effective, marketing funnel.

      Do you even use social media in your own marketing?

      -RS
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032831].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
        Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post


        Second, MANY people go on youtube to watch a single video. I know I do it multiple times a day. A LOT of people need *answers quick* and don't want to waste a lot of time. They might go through 2-3 videos, go back to yours, and you win.
        I love your stuff bro, seriously. Maybe it's because I'm from the NY/Jersey area originally. You tell it like it is and you do so only after obviously DOING it first. Anyway, I don't know how anyone could actually think people don't go to YT to watch a SINGLE video? Millions a day do so ... LOL
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9033982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shockwave
    Gotta go with RedShifted on this one. YT is all I use to make $$$. Cheap, Quick, and very effective.

    I use it for PPCall...so there aren't clicks through to a website. Hell, you don't even have to watch my videos, the number to call is right in the title or in the static image.

    And you sure as hell can rank a video using spam far quicker than ranking a webpage with an embedded video. Competition in YouTube? lol....not when you've slammed enough videos in there to hog up the sidebar results too!

    The biggest problem you have with Video Marketing is that Big G can slap your channel at any time and you're toast - IF you haven't planned for that. However, if you are prepared, this really isn't that big of a deal...although if may take a while for you to re-rank your vids in Big G.

    Example: If any of my channels get whacked (which has happened several times) I can easily have another channel up along with 500 videos (all optimized) the same day (really only limited to internet upload speed). This is not to brag, it's to emphasize the importance of planning for the worst and the fact that you can simply not do this with a web-page with an embedded video.

    Anyway, everybody has their approach, so right or wrong, all that really matters is results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9034270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    You guys are dreaming If you think Youtube video pages out convert custom self hosted video sales pages.

    This is from a guy that has worked with +3 million YT views on a single channel.

    Live & learn...
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9034300].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seonutshell
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      You guys are dreaming If you think Youtube video pages out convert custom self hosted video sales pages.

      This is from a guy that has worked with +3 million YT views on a single channel.

      Live & learn...
      Nobody said it was. Its just a lot easier to rank a video hosted on Youtube in Google than it is to rank a video hosted on a website in google with a thumbnail.

      I use Youtube video to clickbank sales page and make money that way, and like redshifted said, they stick like araldite.
      Signature
      No Opt In -This FREE Video Reveals The Secret To Building Your First Email List In Less Than 3 Hours!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9034578].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author abs007
        Ranking a custom self hosted video sales page has many more benefits to ranking a youtube video. You have full control and it is more than likely to convert much better.

        But it is also very true that ranking Youtube videos is far easier.

        If you had a choice to rank your own self hosted videos or Youtube ones then I'm certain the majority would like their own videos ranked however we cant ignore the fact that much more work is required to rank your own self hosted videos.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9035428].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          Originally Posted by abs007 View Post

          Ranking a custom self hosted video sales page has many more benefits to ranking a youtube video. You have full control and it is more than likely to convert much better.

          But it is also very true that ranking Youtube videos is far easier.

          If you had a choice to rank your own self hosted videos or Youtube ones then I'm certain the majority would like their own videos ranked however we cant ignore the fact that much more work is required to rank your own self hosted videos.
          Trust me, ranking a self hosted page that includes video is basic SEO.
          Signature
          Hi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9036184].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author shockwave
            Originally Posted by yukon View Post

            Trust me, ranking a self hosted page that includes video is basic SEO.
            First off, I'm no SEO expert and will never claim to be. So, if this is more about which would I prefer?? (all things being equal) then hell yes, I would go the self-hosted route. But alas, I do not have access to quality links.

            Secondly, the PPCall niches I work in, the payout just wouldn't justify the time or the expense of "quality" links (unless they are dirt cheap).

            Probably doesn't matter much, but for your self-hosted method, are you using Wordpress or just plain old HTML page?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9036250].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author yukon
              Banned
              Originally Posted by shockwave View Post

              Probably doesn't matter much, but for your self-hosted method, are you using Wordpress or just plain old HTML page?
              It's on self hosted WP sites but that doesn't matter because I'm doing all the SEO by hand, the sites could just as easily be regular HTML sites. Like I said, it's basic SEO, decent external links, good on-page SEO (focused internal links, etc...).

              I just now setup a new video page (WP site), it will be ranked within 2 days (like clockwork). What I do now is rank one existing authority page for my target keyword, create a new internal page (video page), then use that 1 authority page to boost my new video page to page #1 in the SERPs. My authority page is already ranked (right now), I'm just waiting the usual 2 days it takes for the boost to rank the video/page I worked on today.

              One niche authority page will rank a lot of self hosted video pages.

              I'm sure others will chime in with things like authority pages are too much work, etc..., seriously I'm not doing a whole lot of link building. The difference is I have good quality same niche links that stick for years.
              Signature
              Hi
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9036787].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author shockwave
                Originally Posted by yukon View Post

                It's on self hosted WP sites but that doesn't matter because I'm doing all the SEO by hand, the sites could just as easily be regular HTML sites. Like I said, it's basic SEO, decent external links, good on-page SEO (focused internal links, etc...).

                I just now setup a new video page (WP site), it will be ranked within 2 days (like clockwork). What I do now is rank one existing authority page for my target keyword, create a new internal page (video page), then use that 1 authority page to boost my new video page to page #1 in the SERPs. My authority page is already ranked (right now), I'm just waiting the usual 2 days it takes for the boost to rank the video/page I worked on today.

                One niche authority page will rank a lot of self hosted video pages.

                I'm sure others will chime in with things like authority pages are too much work, etc..., seriously I'm not doing a whole lot of link building. The difference is I have good quality same niche links that stick for years.
                Ahhhhhhhhhh....I see. Well, I might have to try this out. Good stuff.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9037133].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author chagler
                Yukon, by "video page" do you mean one video, like a sales video, and then substantial text copy too. And, just to clarify, your hosting your video on your site instead of a youtube video embedded on the page. When you say you rank one authority page, you mean on the same domain? As in a quality home page and then a video page like home.com and home.com/videopage, or different sites like authority.com and videopage.com? Sorry if my questions aren't clear.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9038895].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author yukon
                  Banned
                  Originally Posted by chagler View Post

                  Yukon, by "video page" do you mean one video, like a sales video, and then substantial text copy too.
                  One video per page (on my own site) with a short plain text description of the product I'm selling. The video can be whatever you want it to be, sales video, etc... whatever your promoting.





                  Originally Posted by chagler View Post

                  And, just to clarify, your hosting your video on your site instead of a youtube video embedded on the page.
                  The video player doesn't have to be hosted on your own site in order to rank a video thumbnail image in Google SERPs that includes your own domain URL (SERP traffic lands on my domain/page). You can use any external video player If you can get it to work. Youtube changes too often to mess with, they're like Facebook, always changing things enough to screw up long term plans, I avoid the Youtube player.

                  According to Google help files the video thumbnail image that's displayed in Google SERPs needs to be hosted on your own domain, the same domain that's showing on the ranked page/URL. I haven't tested that to see If the image actually needs to be on the same domain, I went ahead & hosted my own images since it's not a big deal. I might test the external images later.






                  Originally Posted by chagler View Post

                  When you say you rank one authority page, you mean on the same domain? As in a quality home page and then a video page like home.com and home.com/videopage, or different sites like authority.com and videopage.com?
                  I use whatever strong pages I have, it's not always a Home page for piggybacking off authority. It's always the same domain that I use to rank my internal video pages. The last video page I made is piggybacking off an authority page that's ranking 10 internal video pages, all same niche, all similar keywords to the original authority page.

                  This is why I said earlier I'm not building a whole lot of links, I'm building up handfuls of pages to have niche authority, then I piggyback off that authority to rank broader same niche keywords & have video thumbnail images for all those keywords. Repeat...

                  This all goes right back to siloing pages, 1 authority page & a few supporting pages, only in this case I'm throwing external links at the 1st authority page to get the ball rolling ASAP, so my authority page ends up like this:
                  • A few strong external links --> Authority page <-- Relevant video supporting pages

                  When I'm finished with a batch of keywords that gives me strong relevant external links & a bunch of relevant internal pages for long term ranking.
                  Signature
                  Hi
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9041760].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by seonutshell View Post

        Nobody said it was. Its just a lot easier to rank a video hosted on Youtube in Google than it is to rank a video hosted on a website in google with a thumbnail.

        I use Youtube video to clickbank sales page and make money that way, and like redshifted said, they stick like araldite.
        Good grief, that Youtube mentality in Google SERPs is the exact same thing the Slideshare guys preach.

        Your giving away traffic to your competition.

        This thread is full of link spammers is all it is, that's why few aren't ranking money pages, they can't get decent links.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9036175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garrypalomo
    Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

    And I was able to find several new, nonpatchable RV suppliers just by doing weeks of research, and using as many different suppliers as possible. The ones that were successful, I kept using them to make sure I didn't get lucky. And its now that I'm realizing that their technique is truley "nonpatchable". Which means the way they're getting views, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for youtube to patch the method. Because they're NOT using scripts. They're doing something much smarter that I would prefer not to talk about (its basically a smart way of exploiting view exchange sites).
    Which RV suppliers are you using? Even if you don't want to post it publicly, could you PM it to me?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9041616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jsmith2482
    Everything that is said here is actually true. I used a well known Warrior for the past 2 years and 2 years ago he crushed it with his links overall then penguin hit. His links still crushed it on Youtube but since then it has been a sharp decline.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9424182].message }}

Trending Topics