301 redirects and passing juice

7 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello warriors.

Let's say I have a niche site with no page rank and no backlinks. A very new website on a new domain. Site has good, 100 % unique content. Nothing spun. But in a very competitive niche.

Would it be beneficial to said site if I purchased aged domains at auction with higher page rank and good backlink profiles, and then did 301 redirects from those domains to the new site? The purchased sites would be closely related to the site being pointed to.

Or would it be better to build new sites on the purchased domains?

Would this be considered black hat? White hat? I don't want everything to be penalized by search engines if this is considered "going against the rules".

Any inputs, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
#301 #juice #passing #redirects
  • Profile picture of the author mkensington
    I would also like an opinion on this.

    Thanks
    Signature

    skype latenitedrink
    mature dating

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9007468].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by huffdoggie View Post

    Hello warriors.

    Let's say I have a niche site with no page rank and no backlinks. A very new website on a new domain. Site has good, 100 % unique content. Nothing spun. But in a very competitive niche.

    Would it be beneficial to said site if I purchased aged domains at auction with higher page rank and good backlink profiles, and then did 301 redirects from those domains to the new site? The purchased sites would be closely related to the site being pointed to.

    Or would it be better to build new sites on the purchased domains?

    Would this be considered black hat? White hat? I don't want everything to be penalized by search engines if this is considered "going against the rules".

    Any inputs, suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks!
    If you go that route (301) I would first rank the old domain for the same keyword. If that old domain/page doesn't rank then something is wrong somewhere, could be an old domain that's been abused. At least have that one link source indexed & ranked in the top few pages of the SERPs, depending how competitive the keyword is, you might need additional link sources. If the old domain/page ranks fine then do the redirect or add a backlink pointing at the money page/site.

    That way you don't screw up your money site by redirecting an unknown problem (domain/page).
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9007477].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author huffdoggie
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      If you go that route (301) I would first rank the old domain for the same keyword. If that old domain/page doesn't rank then something is wrong somewhere, could be an old domain that's been abused. At least have that one link source indexed & ranked in the top few pages of the SERPs, depending how competitive the keyword is, you might need additional link sources. If the old domain/page ranks fine then do the redirect or add a backlink pointing at the money page/site.

      That way you don't screw up your money site by redirecting an unknown problem (domain/page).
      Thanks, Yukon, for your helpful comment. Ranking the site first makes a lot of sense.

      Assuming all works well, do you feel that a redirect or a backlink would be more effective in my case, trying to get my money site ranked higher? Why or why not?

      I guess there would be potential for more traffic by leaving the the old site separately and then backlinking.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9007728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DPM70
    Good advice as always from Yukes. There's always some risk going for the high PR/domain age buyout at auctions. Do your due diligence on the domain before purchase and then take the plunge if you get the right price. Yukon is right about the next step. See if you can rank anywhere near where you want to with the domain. It'll help you flush out whether there's been any problems or penalties with the new property in the past. It'll go on to be a solid foundation when it comes to helping you rank your main target (and if you go the Yukon route - you'll also own more serps and traffic than simply 301ing it in the first place - while reducing the risk of polluting your target money page)
    Signature
    I don't build in order to have clients. I have clients in order to build. - Ayn Rand
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9007502].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author huffdoggie
      Originally Posted by DPM70 View Post

      Good advice as always from Yukes. There's always some risk going for the high PR/domain age buyout at auctions. Do your due diligence on the domain before purchase and then take the plunge if you get the right price. Yukon is right about the next step. See if you can rank anywhere near where you want to with the domain. It'll help you flush out whether there's been any problems or penalties with the new property in the past. It'll go on to be a solid foundation when it comes to helping you rank your main target (and if you go the Yukon route - you'll also own more serps and traffic than simply 301ing it in the first place - while reducing the risk of polluting your target money page)
      Thanks DPM, for your advice.

      What tools would YOU recommend for due diligence? I've done some searching and reading on the topic, but I'm seeing lots of different information.

      I use the SEO quake toolbar and a basic backlink checker. Also, i use the Way Back Machine if nothing is indexed. Nothing fancy. Just free tools.

      Any guide or tutorial that you would recommend? Something current and pertinent for today's environment?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9007748].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zecke
        huffdoggie - I got the same question in that matter that I wanted to ask for a long time.

        If there is any diffrence between redirecting 301 expired domain with good backlink profile to money page or just create one external anchor text link on that expired domain to my money page ?

        In both cases all 404 of the expired domain are redirected to its home page.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9008376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jxam69
    Google's John Mueller has said that if they think a 301 redirect of a domain is unnatural then they won't pass any benefits through the redirect - he was silent on whether or not they might pass any negative signals though.

    In my opinion, buying an expired domain and immediately redirecting it would look as unnatural as it gets if detected by Google.

    However, legitimate redirects like this happen all the time when one business buys a competitor's website or merges two of their own sites together - the difference in this case is that you are redirecting a domain that was operating as a real website.

    Maybe if you follow yukon's advice, and operate the site for some time before redirecting it, it might work out for you.
    Signature

    This space will be awarded to the first WSO owner who can prove they make Million$ from their methods.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9007605].message }}

Trending Topics