You can read the relevant BHW threads here:
Google "waiting period" after May 14 payday update?
Anyone Noticing Rankings Taking Much Longer Than Usual?
To summarise, it looks like trying to a rank a new site after the last update will hit a filter that stops it from ranking on Page 1 for a month - regardless of the quality, quantity or type of links thrown at that new site.
One BHWer reported the same with aged domains.
If that filter is running now (my ongoing testing suggests that it is active), it raises a bunch of interesting questions:
1. Are Parasite Pages affected by the filter, given that they are new pages but on long established sites? Early reports say that Parasite Pages have the same problem.
2. Is Google willing to ignore genuinely viral new pages (less likely) and sites (more likely) for at least a month in its search results?
3. What happens after the 4 week filter period expires - is it business as usual then or not?
4. Is this filter more about psychological mind games against SEOs to drive them out (like the painful process of link disavowal and recon requests)?
5. Is it a permanent change or just a temporary experiment?
It may just be that more patience will need to be factored into our future SEO work - report your experiences with this possible new filter below.