Website has to many spammy backlinks!

17 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello
I've made a a lot of websites over the years and normally I would buy as many backlinks as I can to boost my websites up in Google and it has worked but since all these updates Google have made, my strategy no longer works . I opened my own company last year and built a great website with really good unique content that I spent a lot of time writing but again I made the bad mistake of buying loads of low PR/spammy backlinks off eBay and my website has got to page 2 for most of the keywords but just won't move up onto page 1 apart from 1 keyword that I'm not even bothered about. So I'm now thinking about starting fresh by buying a new domain with (-) signs in the middle of each word and then blocking my old domain from Google but still keeping the website there for customers who have flyers/business cards and to save changing the sign-writing on my van. The reason I am thinking about blocked the old domain from Google is because I want to copy the whole website so they are exactly the same on both domains and I don't want Google to penalize me for have duplicate content. Once I have set up my new domain and blocked my old domain from Google I can then start building my own quality backlinks from high PR domains.
This is the only strategy I can think of to get my website to the top of Google apart from deleting the spammy backlinks but there is around 100,000 so I can't see it being possible to delete them all. What I would like to know is am I on the right track because I don't really have much experience in SEO? and if I am on the right track how would I go about blocking my old domain from Google and other search engines without deleting the website?
Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
#backlinks #spammy #website
  • Profile picture of the author sweezeter
    Originally Posted by doomdoom88 View Post

    Hello
    I've made a a lot of websites over the years and normally I would buy as many backlinks as I can to boost my websites up in Google and it has worked but since all these updates Google have made, my strategy no longer works . I opened my own company last year and built a great website with really good unique content that I spent a lot of time writing but again I made the bad mistake of buying loads of low PR/spammy backlinks off eBay and my website has got to page 2 for most of the keywords but just won't move up onto page 1 apart from 1 keyword that I'm not even bothered about. So I'm now thinking about starting fresh by buying a new domain with (-) signs in the middle of each word and then blocking my old domain from Google but still keeping the website there for customers who have flyers/business cards and to save changing the sign-writing on my van. The reason I am thinking about blocked the old domain from Google is because I want to copy the whole website so they are exactly the same on both domains and I don't want Google to penalize me for have duplicate content. Once I have set up my new domain and blocked my old domain from Google I can then start building my own quality backlinks from high PR domains.
    This is the only strategy I can think of to get my website to the top of Google apart from deleting the spammy backlinks but there is around 100,000 so I can't see it being possible to delete them all. What I would like to know is am I on the right track because I don't really have much experience in SEO? and if I am on the right track how would I go about blocking my old domain from Google and other search engines without deleting the website?
    Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    I think that's a horrible strategy, you've built a business on that domain and now you are gonna throw it away because the times got tough? Dude, just fix the problem and work on removing the links.

    You don't need to remove all of the spammy links, that's just not possible. But you can do a lot to get your link profile back to a normal state. That just requires a bit of a budget or hard work. You spent the money building the crappy links, why not spend the money to clean it up?

    Your strategy can still cause problems, there are many site owners that have tried your method of ditching the domain and keeping the content. Google catches on and penalizes that site as well. Many people make brutal mistakes that leave a trail to the new site, thus passing along all of the previous work. How hard is it for Google to connect the name and phone number to the new site?

    Clean up the links and don't take shortcuts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9466600].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author doomdoom88
      Originally Posted by sweezeter View Post

      I think that's a horrible strategy, you've built a business on that domain and now you are gonna throw it away because the times got tough? Dude, just fix the problem and work on removing the links.

      You don't need to remove all of the spammy links, that's just not possible. But you can do a lot to get your link profile back to a normal state. That just requires a bit of a budget or hard work. You spent the money building the crappy links, why not spend the money to clean it up?

      Your strategy can still cause problems, there are many site owners that have tried your method of ditching the domain and keeping the content. Google catches on and penalizes that site as well. Many people make brutal mistakes that leave a trail to the new site, thus passing along all of the previous work. How hard is it for Google to connect the name and phone number to the new site?

      Clean up the links and don't take shortcuts.
      The problem is I have most of the bad links but not all of them so I don't know how I can get rid of them when I don't know them all, also I have had a look at another website that is at the top of Google for all the same keywords I am using and they only have 60 backlinks!!
      Maybe I could make a new domain, 301 redirect the old domain to the new domain and then block old old website from Google?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9467195].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Athithya
      Dear, You are again following wrong strategy. Better to cleanup your backlinks using Google disavow tool. Please let me know did you get any manual action mail from google webmaster team.

      If you are interested i can help you in revoking backlinks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9471907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LuckyIMer
    Since you have reached the stage in which you need to abandon your current website, then maybe it is better to abandon all of it including content and hire writers form the new domain/website.

    You can block the domain/website by adding a robots.txt file to the root of the domain you are going to block and add this code to the file:
    User-agent: * Disallow: /
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9466748].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      I can't believe you people.

      Your site is on page 2, but you scream some penalty?!?!?!?!

      I pity the websites on page 3. Man are they getting some sort of a double secret
      probation penalty! And page 4? You don't even want to know the horrors they
      are subjected to!

      Get a grip people.

      You just want to scrap a site, start over. Why?

      No wonder you people fail. You have no business sense.

      Let's see. My cafe has not made a profit in 2 months. I guess I should
      burn it to the ground, rebuild it.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9466775].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author doomdoom88
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        I can't believe you people.

        Your site is on page 2, but you scream some penalty?!?!?!?!

        I pity the websites on page 3. Man are they getting some sort of a double secret
        probation penalty! And page 4? You don't even want to know the horrors they
        are subjected to!

        Get a grip people.

        You just want to scrap a site, start over. Why?

        No wonder you people fail. You have no business sense.

        Let's see. My cafe has not made a profit in 2 months. I guess I should
        burn it to the ground, rebuild it.

        Paul
        What would you suggest to kick my website from page 2 to page 1?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9467200].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author accessted
          Originally Posted by doomdoom88 View Post

          What would you suggest to kick my website from page 2 to page 1?
          Not sure if this is the right answer, but I would start building High PR backlinks.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9467632].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author michalbrns
            Originally Posted by accessted View Post

            Not sure if this is the right answer, but I would start building High PR backlinks.
            High PR back links with good content else you will end up soon.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9475186].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SEO Power
          Originally Posted by doomdoom88 View Post

          What would you suggest to kick my website from page 2 to page 1?
          Patience and more links built gradually. It's no longer easy to reach page 1 for profitable keywords. It takes months now.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9467932].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author doomdoom88
            Thanks for all your replies, its seems everyone thinks I should carry on with the website and build high PR backlinks. My new plan now is to leave the website how it is and build hight PR links over the next couple of months and if I don't get anywhere by Christmas I will then go back to my original plan. Again thanks for all your help I think I am finally on the right track
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9468082].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author doomdoom88
      Originally Posted by LuckyIMer View Post

      Since you have reached the stage in which you need to abandon your current website, then maybe it is better to abandon all of it including content and hire writers form the new domain/website.

      You can block the domain/website by adding a robots.txt file to the root of the domain you are going to block and add this code to the file:
      User-agent: * Disallow: /
      If I block the domain using robots.txt do you think Google will be ok with me using the same content on the new domain?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9467197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEO Power
    Just start creating high quality links. As long as the site hasn't been penalized, there is no reason to start over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9467925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zeeshiii
    Use Reverse Engineering, it is the best method according to me to beat any competitor.
    Signature
    This GIG is great if you want to SPY on your competitors, Rank your website,blog Fast
    >>>>>>Check Here<<<<<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9468439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ketul
    If you feel that your site have too many spammy back links then remove it by disavow tool or contact that particular author or blogger to remove your back link that live.
    Focus to generate more quality and high PR back links that boost your site ranking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9471875].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweezeter
    I'd recommend having someone that knows what they are doing look at the situation to help you if you don't know how to check your own backlinks.

    That's the basis of any SEO, is checking backlinks. Before wasting more time or money on links that are likely hurting you have someone take a look at the situation first.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9474586].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hirithk
    Hi
    May be you have build no follow links, and links from adult sites, for these reason the website contains more spammy links. remove the links using disvaw tool
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9474595].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kayhefeb
    Thank for your writing
    Just start creating high quality links. As long as the site hasn't been penalized!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9474809].message }}

Trending Topics