Currently, I subscribe to all the feeds I can find related to landscape photography, including collections and individual photographers. I "like" photos that are taken in locations I want to consider including on my tours, so this helps me develop my itinerary.
I also take the time to comment on good photos. Doing so definitely has brought me followers.
However, I was thinking there are two problems:
1. Putting competing photographers in my "followed" list promotes/validates them to my potential customers
2. Positively commenting on their photos also serves to promote them.
1. Making relevant and "expert" comments, also publicizes me and makes me look good
2. Participating in the community makes me look like I support the community as a whole, rather than being just out for myself
3. Potentially, I can develop relationships with photographers that could develop into partnerships down the line
I'm trying to decide if I should create a 2nd account to track photos and feeds, but stop commenting and liking, or if I should continue to participate as I am now. I don't want to be short-sighted, but I am not sure, how much I would help/hurt my business with these options.
After all, if I'm getting followers FROM the competition followings in the first place....