Established members only section

by John Romaine 30 replies
I don't know if this will fly, but this forum would benefit greatly by having a dedicated forum that allows ESTABLISHED only members to interact without all the garbage.

This is where something meaningful and useful might get discussed, rather than the typical "I have $3, how can I make $50,000 by 6 o'clock tomorrow night?"

Ideally this would be by INVITE only, where members could invite other members.
#suggestion forum #established #members #section
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author visimedia
    wow, that's a very cool idea... it'll make the QnA to the higher level . Nice suggestion!
    Signature
    Toko online ps4 untuk beli game ps4 murah di indonesia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7326448].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Elion Makkink
    Good idea, but giving members the opportunity to invite each other will eventually lead to the 'garbage' you are referring to.

    Instead, let moderators review each applicant and have some criteria for joining the section.
    Signature

    Cheers,
    Elion Makkink

    SEO & Content Marketing Consultant

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7326680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
      Originally Posted by Elion Makkink View Post

      Good idea, but giving members the opportunity to invite each other will eventually lead to the 'garbage' you are referring to.

      Instead, let moderators review each applicant and have some criteria for joining the section.
      Whatever man. Just so long as filters are set somewhere.
      Signature

      BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7326890].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author munneetree
      If the forum was composed of only the "Elite," it would be case of the elite inner circle helping each other get richer and richer, while those who need advice and help get poorer and poorer.
      I agree that such a forum would need moderation to weed out the garbage. As it has been pointed out that there are forums on Facebook that do this (also on Linked in - I run a group there that gives advice to offline business people). There are heaps of Warrior forums now and one or more would probably serve most members with their needs or problems.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7329771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AdwordsMogul
    Yeah, this is something that would definitely make a difference.

    There are many members who are not really looking for "methods" to make money online. They have existing businesses and want unique ways to market them.

    So something like this would really help.

    Here is an important hint: it's already happening off the forum. There are more and more groups forming on Facebook and elsewhere.
    Signature
    "Those who can - DO IT. Those who can't, say it's impossible."
    Jean Paul a.k.a AdwordsMogul
    PHPDevelopers.net - Top of the range PHP developers

    Easy Link Saver - Are you tired of the pain of constantly searching for your affiliate links? ( Chrome extension - FREE )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7327103].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
      Originally Posted by AdwordsMogul View Post

      Here is an important hint: it's already happening off the forum. There are more and more groups forming on Facebook and elsewhere.
      Yep. IMSF is one of the biggest ones.
      Signature

      BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7327305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
    Isn't that what mastermind groups are for? I think it would create an elitist attitude and will split the forum down the guts - ruining the experience for new members. If all the smart and experienced discussion is happening behind closed doors then who do the people want to grow learn from?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7329192].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
      Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

      I think it would create an elitist attitude and will split the forum down the guts - ruining the experience for new members.
      Oh trust me... there's already an elitist attitude that has existed here. Not every successful person is like that but it exists.

      And I agree that this will make things worse here.

      Part of the spirit of this forum is for experienced people to help the less experienced. At least that's the way it was years ago before I took a hiatus from this place. And part of the reason I took it was because of all the elitist BS that goes on around here, or was at that time.

      People have their screwed up mindsets and ways of thinking. It's obviously human nature and most cannot evolve past it, it seems.

      I hope Allen does not approve this idea...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7330531].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
        Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post

        Part of the spirit of this forum is for experienced people to help the less experienced.
        The experienced people are LEAVING.

        Haven't you ever wondered why none of the big name internet marketers don't hang out here? It's because of the low level garbage that gets posted.
        Signature

        BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7331002].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ShaneGorry
          Possibly, but I just thought it was because they are busy and their business model doesn't depend on having a large or even any presents on WF.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7331430].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Karen Keyes
          Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

          The experienced people are LEAVING.

          Haven't you ever wondered why none of the big name internet marketers don't hang out here? It's because of the low level garbage that gets posted.
          I agree with you there John, but I don't agree with your original post suggesting an 'established-only area'.

          The only ones who benefit to having an established-only area IS the established members. But is that the core of the WF - only members who have X number of posts or have been here X number of months or years? Maybe I'm wrong but I think the core - the heart - of the Warrior forum is to create an atmosphere where the experienced HELP the inexperienced, and we ALL gather around to foster ideas and network together.

          This forum does not need a selfish mindset - it needs a collaborative one, a sharing one. We need both experienced and new members, together. I strongly believe that we should not alienate anyone new entering this forum and feel that we would be doing exactly that if we took on your suggestion.

          Yes I agree with you that we need to find a solution to minimize the trolling, the gimme gimme answers posts.. the ones who clutter the forum with sometimes useless posts. But I don't agree that the answer is to just IGNORE the inexperienced by taking our experienced users and placing them on "higher ground". And no matter how you spin it, if an area was created exclusively for established members, I guarantee it would result in leaving our new and less experienced peers as dust in the wind. Is that what Allen wants?

          I'd like to think not.

          I'd like to think that this forum still fosters sharing and teaching. I'd like to see improvements that uphold those values versus the opposite.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7331761].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
          Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

          The experienced people are LEAVING.

          Haven't you ever wondered why none of the big name internet marketers don't hang out here? It's because of the low level garbage that gets posted.
          Then let them LEAVE, John.

          I've only been back probably several weeks and have noticed that a lot of experienced people or names I remember are not here. But that's it.

          I am not sure I'll necessarily agree they all have left because of your so-called, low level garbage. I find that hard to believe, actually. I see the things you're talking about, but OK, so what?

          I disagree with your proposed solution.

          Thanks...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7332323].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author admin
          Administrator
          Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

          The experienced people are LEAVING.

          Haven't you ever wondered why none of the big name internet marketers don't hang out here? It's because of the low level garbage that gets posted.

          That's not quite right. I know most of the 'big name' marketers and the real reason they don't hang out in forums is because they can't without constantly being attacked.

          Many of them still have their ways of doing things here and getting traffic from here but they don't participate unless it's under an anonymous name and there are a few of those.

          You have so many people who feel that because they haven't succeeded that anyone who has, has taken something from them. The hatred against anyone who succeeds is the real reason.

          And many of them simply don't have the balls to withstand public scrutiny...

          Allen

          EDIT: On another note, do you have any idea how many 'experienced marketers' got their start at the Warrior Forum and THEN left?

          Warriors who have been here from the beginning know the ones I'm talking about. There are a LOT of them. So, who exactly is teaching who?

          The marketers you are talking about do not come here and tell you stuff they intend to sell you so it makes no difference if they leave or not. People on the way up are still going to be here getting ideas from the millions of posts, like always.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7332985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kezz
    How about a minimum post count for something like this?

    Very generally speaking, 500 posts or more tends to show you're serious and not a "fly by nighter".

    1000 posts or more tends to show you've been around long enough to have picked up a thing or two you can share.

    Note, I'm not saying that fewer posts is the opposite of the above or anything like that. Of course lots of people have a lot to share that are new to the forum.

    However if you've put in the time and tried your best to interact and contribute I think it would be fair and highly valuable to get access to a space with other longer term Warriors.

    I know I always take people's advice and posts more seriously if I see a decent post count.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7330499].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jesse L
      Originally Posted by Kezz View Post

      How about a minimum post count for something like this?

      Very generally speaking, 500 posts or more tends to show you're serious and not a "fly by nighter".

      1000 posts or more tends to show you've been around long enough to have picked up a thing or two you can share.

      Note, I'm not saying that fewer posts is the opposite of the above or anything like that. Of course lots of people have a lot to share that are new to the forum.

      However if you've put in the time and tried your best to interact and contribute I think it would be fair and highly valuable to get access to a space with other longer term Warriors.

      I know I always take people's advice and posts more seriously if I see a decent post count.
      I've seen many people with over 1000 posts, 0 thanks given to others posts, and very few posts thanked. Some I believe just like to see themselves talk

      So a post count would do nothing but make more people post junk, I think.

      I would like to see more indepth discussions though. The psychology of a sale, the psychology of color usage, developing writing skills, case studies, etc...
      Signature

      The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. – Vince Lambardi

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7335046].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    Not a goof idea for me. This will create unfairness and imbalance as it is hard to set the bar to who is an establish member and who is not...
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7331851].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
    Would you have wanted that when you first got started?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7334786].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wackiin
    I could see both sides of the coin Benefits for both but at the same time who would be the judge to say what gets you into the private club?
    Post count ? wouldn't work to many post whores that care about there count.
    Join Date? wouldn't work alot of us joined along time ago doesn't mean where any smarter then someone that joined yesterday
    Maybe a fee like the war room but a upgraded version? 3 times the cost or something who knows.

    I come and go here while there is alot of bs posted there is some good stuff posted as well you just have to look thru and use the searches.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7335331].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordpressmania
    I don't think that, it will be a good idea. Now a days WF become a marketplace due to having good people share their ideas. If the big guys keep themselves within a case then it will loose the traffic and certainly Allen will not make it happen!

    Also forum is a place where people share their ideas and people can learn. So I like the forum as it is
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7338225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Happybidr
    This is a horrible idea. I've seen this on one other forum (telecommunications). What happened is the "senior" folks ended up just posting to each other and only occasionally venturing into the general forum. This forum already requires one to pay for membership. isn't that enough? If you find some posts distasteful or a waste of time, don't read 'em! Exercise some editorial judgement on your own without censoring and limiting everyone else. The value of this forum will only drop in value if this happens.

    It's ridiculous to think that people don't post here because they're too superior. They aren't here that much for the same reason that the rest of us aren't here 24 hours a day -- they have lives and they're running a business! I'm hardly an expert in most of the topics here (except for writing, as I was a newspaper reporter and radio producer in an earlier life), but I don't post much because I don't feel the need to jump in to every conversation. I was a political science major in undergraduate school and I sat through many hours of colleagues (99% guys) voicing their mostly useless, uninformed opinions. And I, who didn't feel the need to do so, was more interested in hearing what the professor had to say rather than my fellow students. (I made up for my relative silence in grad school, cause then I had plenty of knowledge and experience and could add a lot, even compared to the professors sometimes!) It's the same with this board. I'd rather watch, read and learn, rather than visually join in every conversation. So I don't have many posts, but that doesn't mean I'm not a fully interested and participating WF member.

    I understand wanting to occasionally have high levels of discussion, but listen: that's what email is for! And the phone, and Skype, and as someone else suggested, mastermind groups. Those choices are personal and limited to whomever is on the list. And none of those choices overtly discriminate against others. So unless you're planning something illegal, why not keep all the forums open to all WF members? Whatever you're sharing is sure to be of value to even us newbies. After all, without us, who would fawn all over you, my more experienced colleagues?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7340763].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nauman K
    I think if there is monthly membership of say $5 per month for member only area,just to ensure that user is serious to learn somthing here.
    Signature

    Designer/Developer
    www.nausal.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7340902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Oh oh oh, I already have this.

    It's called.... SKYPE! :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7341528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulFL
    I feel the idea has merit but I don't believe I'd be a regular visitor because
    of the Facebook and Skype groups I've joined are providing very good value,
    are moderated and are more targeted to what I'm trying to learn/market/mastermind.

    As far as the big names leaving? I don't begrudge them at all. Their focus
    has shifted and they find their time is better spent elsewhere. Time's a precious commodity.
    Signature
    Tired of Chasing Shiny Objects?
    Get Instant Access to the Easy Cash Webinar
    >>The Ultimate Unfair Advantage <<
    Easy - Quick - Proven
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7342146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
    If you wanted something like that, I'd just raise the price of the war room. I wouldn't keep it "Limited" because it would be way too clicky.

    I've been an off/on lurker at WF since 2005 and while the gurus used to be more active here, it's not like they were THAT active. John reese, jeff walker, frank kern, andy jenkins, etc.

    I think a big reason why people leave is they don't find their ego getting stroked as much as they feel like it should.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7342632].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    It's called the War Room... No?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7342885].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    There's some very valid input here regarding this suggestion, and I think they deserve some merit.

    Thanks for the feedback.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7344774].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
    Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

    I don't know if this will fly, but this forum would benefit greatly by having a dedicated forum that allows ESTABLISHED only members to interact without all the garbage.

    This is where something meaningful and useful might get discussed, rather than the typical "I have $3, how can I make $50,000 by 6 o'clock tomorrow night?"

    Ideally this would be by INVITE only, where members could invite other members.
    Who is "established" is open to significant debate. Sometimes "new" people have tremendous insight and something to contribute, and those with years under their belt leave you just shaking your head.

    Everyone wants to be the king deciding who the "established" group is. Those who are rejected may feel dejected and leave the forum. The discussion becomes who is in or out, and why, instead of about something useful.

    Sometimes, the test is not whether someone is "established" but whether they're an idiot. Or, sometimes you are dealing with a youngster and you need to let "garbage" go through so they develop the maturity and expertise allowing more "valuable" posts to come later.

    I think the only way this idea works is if you have a personal forum / mastermind group where you control who is admitted.

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7345143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xInd
    I think it would need to have moderator approval too, and perhaps certain requirements like x number of posts, y length of membership, war room member status, maybe has posted at least one WSO before..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7345208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheNewGuy2010
    Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

    I don't know if this will fly, but this forum would benefit greatly by having a dedicated forum that allows ESTABLISHED only members to interact without all the garbage.

    This is where something meaningful and useful might get discussed, rather than the typical "I have $3, how can I make $50,000 by 6 o'clock tomorrow night?"

    Ideally this would be by INVITE only, where members could invite other members.

    That's what the WAR Room should have been. The WR should have been exclusive.
    Signature
    Retired Internet Marketer.
    Gone Fishing....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7534795].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics