optimise website for SEO

19 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
Hi there.

I'm new to website SEO optimisation. I'm about to finish creating a new website for a small company. I'd like to ask you about some good practices to follow in order to increase the website position once it goes live. I'm talking about the design of the website.
The website is devoted to training (training provider). It's done in xhtml/css, slideshow in jquery and a few includes in php (eg. footer)
I'm aware of the importance of:
-descriptive h1,2,3,etc. tags, etc.,
- image alt tags

1. Should the keywords in <head> be the same for the main page and all its subpages or they should be tailored to the contents of a particular subpage?
2. The same question goes for the description tag? Should it be the same for the whole site?
3. ... and the same question goes for the title tag.
4. Is there anything I need to bear in mind when creating a site map?
What are other things in terms of design that I should pay attention to?

Once the site is completed, I'll need to learn what to do next in terms of promoting the site. For the time being, I'm focusing on the things I need to do before it goes live.
What are other things I need to do to create a seo friendly website?

Thank you in advance.

regards
Martin
#optimise #seo #website
  • Profile picture of the author bigorange
    I'd recommend different meta, description, and title tags if you have the time. You in general are trying to send seo traffic to your home page- might as well make the other pages a little different to catch other potential traffic (not much extra benefit but some).
    Site map- there are plenty of useful generators out there- just plug and play
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3807389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JulieJ
    You're going in the right direction with h1, h2 etc and alt tags.
    Each page within a website is viewed separately with search engines so it's good practice to have your main keyword in the title, desc and keywords on each page plus different long tail keywords for each individual page so each page can be assessed accordingly.
    Re sitemaps - if your site is built with Wordpress, the Google XML Sitemap takes care of everything. If your site is built with Dreamweaver, I use sitemapspal.com to build my sitemap.
    To build an seo friendly website, do plenty of keyword research and have a number of different keywords for each page. Link pages together using keywords. Use keywords for page title where appropriate and use keywords throughout the content.
    Offpage optimization can include directory submissions, article submissions such as Ezine, commenting on relavant forums and social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin etc.
    Hope this helps?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3808111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Trader
    Originally Posted by portia79 View Post

    1. Should the keywords in <head> be the same for the main page and all its subpages or they should be tailored to the contents of a particular subpage?
    2. The same question goes for the description tag? Should it be the same for the whole site?
    3. ... and the same question goes for the title tag.
    4. Is there anything I need to bear in mind when creating a site map?
    What are other things in terms of design that I should pay attention to?

    Once the site is completed, I'll need to learn what to do next in terms of promoting the site. For the time being, I'm focusing on the things I need to do before it goes live.
    What are other things I need to do to create a seo friendly website?
    The title tag must contain the main keyword of the page. The keywords tag (if you use it) should have the keywords on the page and little else.

    I recommend ALT tagging your images, internal linking (to other pages on the site) and creating a video sitemap if the site has video.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809173].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author momentumrider
    Originally Posted by portia79 View Post

    Hi there.

    I'm new to website SEO optimisation. I'm about to finish creating a new website for a small company. I'd like to ask you about some good practices to follow in order to increase the website position once it goes live. I'm talking about the design of the website.
    The website is devoted to training (training provider). It's done in xhtml/css, slideshow in jquery and a few includes in php (eg. footer)
    I'm aware of the importance of:
    -descriptive h1,2,3,etc. tags, etc.,
    - image alt tags

    1. Should the keywords in <head> be the same for the main page and all its subpages or they should be tailored to the contents of a particular subpage?
    2. The same question goes for the description tag? Should it be the same for the whole site?
    3. ... and the same question goes for the title tag.
    4. Is there anything I need to bear in mind when creating a site map?
    What are other things in terms of design that I should pay attention to?

    Once the site is completed, I'll need to learn what to do next in terms of promoting the site. For the time being, I'm focusing on the things I need to do before it goes live.
    What are other things I need to do to create a seo friendly website?

    Thank you in advance.

    regards
    Martin

    Hey Martin,

    It looks like you need to learn some on-page optimization.

    Here are my On-page Optimization Must Haves:
    1. Keyword must be within the Title Tag
    2. Title Tag must be only 65 characters (or less) including spaces
    3. Keyword must be within the Description
      *Having an exact match keyword domain is best for SEO purposes
    4. Description must be only 155 characters (or less) including spaces
    5. Have a H1 tag
    6. Keyword must be within the H1 tag
    7. Have 1 keyword on your Home page to link to the "Home" page
    8. Have internal linking (your sub-pages are linking to your other related pages)
    9. Have at least 1 link to an authority site
    10. Articles must have 1-2% keyword density
    11. For web content/articles - best to have the keyword in the article title, within the 1st 50 words of the body and within every 100 words thereafter. The last keyword instance/placement must be within the last 50-100 words of the article.
    1. Should the keywords in <head> be the same for the main page and all its subpages or they should be tailored to the contents of a particular subpage?
    They must be tailored to the content of the specific page.

    2. The same question goes for the description tag? Should it be the same for the whole site?
    No they shouldn't. Internal pages must have their own meta description tailored to the content of the page itself. The meta description of the Home page must of course be about the whole site - what the niche market is. In your case it is "training", so the meta description of the home page will probably be about different types of training etc.

    3. ... and the same question goes for the title tag.
    Same as #1. They must be tailored to the content of the specific page.

    4. Is there anything I need to bear in mind when creating a site map? What are other things in terms of design that I should pay attention to?


    Here are some last reminders:

    1. Dont forget to create a robots.txt file
    2. Add the site to Google webmaster tools account and verify the account
    3. Canonicalize your domain name
      Code:
      http://yourdomain.com
      vs.
      Code:
      http://www.yourdomain.com
      within the Google webmaster tools. The SEs see both domains as 2 different sites. Doing a canonicalization tells the SEs which version you prefer. Dont waste your precious time when you start your linkbuilding campaign by using both URL versions in your anchor texts/backlinks.
    4. Add Google Analytics code

    Hope this helps.


    All the best,
    Jon
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cryst
    Well after reading what momentum rider said... i guess there's no confusion in your mind...on how to do onpage

    But still i would like to inform you few things ... on how to stay away from sand box n such stuffs.. which blocks your site.. to rank high.

    Always go for white hat seo... stay away from Black hat seo.. especially when your site is new.

    Don't use keyword stuffing.. Write original contents and don't just copy paste.

    And As google says everytime.... "Create Website for visitors.... Not for Robots"..

    Just try out all these steps.. and let us know after few months how's your website ranking,,,

    If there's any issue.. v'll be always there to help you out.!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809341].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author momentumrider
      Originally Posted by cryst View Post

      Well after reading what momentum rider said... i guess there's no confusion in your mind...on how to do onpage

      But still i would like to inform you few things ... on how to stay away from sand box n such stuffs.. which blocks your site.. to rank high.

      Always go for white hat seo... stay away from Black hat seo.. especially when your site is new.

      Don't use keyword stuffing.. Write original contents and don't just copy paste.

      And As google says everytime.... "Create Website for visitors.... Not for Robots"..

      Just try out all these steps.. and let us know after few months how's your website ranking,,,

      If there's any issue.. v'll be always there to help you out.!!

      I agree with you Cryst. Content for the website must be original. Content for the purpose of linkbuilding you can get away with duplicate content.

      And "Create website for visitors, not for Robots" - easy for big G to say this huh? But it is indeed true. If you rank your site but you have crap for content then visitors will leave your site faster than your pop-over opt in page appears! LOL!


      All the best,
      Jon
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bequittathomas
    use forum posting, make good hubs and blogs with perfect content, write good articles.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809655].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kupang
      Originally Posted by bequittathomas View Post

      use forum posting, make good hubs and blogs with perfect content, write good articles.
      Create squidoo lens about your company products
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3824009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shirlyn
    Yes on site optimization is really important and thank you so much for such good information.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3810694].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sritech
      Nice discussion how to optimize a website for SEO
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3811642].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author portia79
    Wow,

    Thank you very much. It's been most helpful. I need to get down to work now and implement your suggestions.

    regards
    Martin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819820].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sunnychakes
      It's advisable not to use same meta description for all the pages. There should be different descriptions based upon the content of each page. Remember they should be eye catchy and there should be your main targeted keywords. Also for title tag use the same concept. Each page of your site should have different specific keywords so that they can be used in a systematic way and also search engines can easily identify them and rank them for your site accordingly.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3820197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trecia Nena
    SEOs need to select keywords and phrase for which to optimise your site. For example, say you own a specialist smelly cheese shop in Aberdeen, your SEO will most likely try to optimise your website for: 'cheese', 'smelly cheese', 'cheese shop Aberdeen', 'smelly cheese shop Aberdeen', 'smelly cheese Scotland' and maybe 'Aberdeen cheese'. As you can see these words and phrases all relate to your business and try to meet a search term which a potential customer might type into a search engine.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3834591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daave
    Really nice piece of information, thanks for sharing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3834963].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author filthy
    Try to optimize the website for both onpage and offpage optimization methods.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3836532].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vermadenish
    HI Martin !

    - Meta tags - Title, keywords and description is the most important part of seo website. so they must be there on html code before the body tag.
    - If you really like to make seo friendly website then always follow these rules as below-

    1) Good Keywords, Title, description must be there on html code before body tag
    2) Keywords must be website product and information relevant
    3) Keywords density in content not more than 3-5%
    4) Alt tags must be used for image naming and names must be used in alt as keywords eg. keyword 1 then image name must be keyword 1 and the alt tag must be keyword1
    5) Always use rich and unique content on your website with good English , no spelling mistake etc.
    6) Content must be relevant and copyscape verified
    7) use heading tags h1-h2-h3 etc for all headings in html code for content and all

    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3840494].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jeffersonfaudan
    SEO has many strategic approach... it's just not the technical manner of it but how you can strategize visibility among the search engines and as well as the interlinking of your social media, bookmarking and submission sites enabling traffic to come in many different aspects
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3840742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bilzz
    With a Search Engine Optimisation Company you can rest assured that your SEO strategy is going to be 100% complete and effective in obtaining the desired results and improving both your website rankings and traffic.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3840835].message }}

Trending Topics