What do you think about CloudFlare?

26 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
Hi Warriors,

Do you have any experiences about it?

Some people say CloudFlare made their loading time better and some say it made it worse (specially on free plan)!

Furthermore what kind of websites should be using than CloudFlare?

Thanks in advance
#cloudflare #loading time #website speed
  • Profile picture of the author Robby54
    Yea, the only way to know if it will works fast or slow is to try it on your site and test the loading times.. I haven't use them since last year, the reason I stopped was because some users would be marked as a false positives which in turn made them have to fill out a capcaha and some could not get past it and which made me loose money. I know this because CloudFlare has a control panel where you can see if users left you any messages and allot of the messages I was getting was dealing with them and the captcha.. Anyway if you have high bandwidth usage or just need something to protect your site from spammers and attackers then I would go ahead and give it a shot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5407587].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
      Originally Posted by Robby54 View Post

      Yea, the only way to know if it will works fast or slow is to try it on your site and test the loading times.. I haven't use them since last year, the reason I stopped was because some users would be marked as a false positives which in turn made them have to fill out a capcaha and some could not get past it and which made me loose money. I know this because CloudFlare has a control panel where you can see if users left you any messages and allot of the messages I was getting was dealing with them and the captcha.. Anyway if you have high bandwidth usage or just need something to protect your site from spammers and attackers then I would go ahead and give it a shot.
      " the reason I stopped was because some users would be marked as a false positives which in turn made them have to fill out a capcaha and some could not get past it and which made me loose money."

      You can actually do two things to override this behavior:
      1. Change your security level settings to a lower level in your CloudFlare settings.
      2. Whitelist IPs/IP ranges/countries in Threat Control to override our behavior.

      Perhaps even more important: Why CloudFlare challenges certain IPs.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5479903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kokopelli
    I have my own server, and tried Cloudflare for a while, but ran into too many issues and any benefits outweighed the (small) advantages, so I dropped them. Now just sticking with mod_security, CSF, etc.
    Signature
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5407959].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
      Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post

      I have my own server, and tried Cloudflare for a while, but ran into too many issues and any benefits outweighed the (small) advantages, so I dropped them. Now just sticking with mod_security, CSF, etc.
      What kind of issues specifically?
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5480003].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Glenn
    I am currently using MT and on the CloudFlare free plan. I saw no changes at all in site speed. I am actually moving all my sites over to WP Engine. super fast and they really know WordPress.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5411271].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author T O M M Y
      Robby54
      kokopelli
      Matt Glenn
      blogfreakz

      Thank you all for your answers

      It seems it's not a good service based on your opinions!

      I think if there are any improvements it's only on the Premium plan.

      Originally Posted by Matt Glenn View Post

      I am currently using MT and on the CloudFlare free plan. I saw no changes at all in site speed. I am actually moving all my sites over to WP Engine. super fast and they really know WordPress.
      Can you explain a little more about WP Engine? Why they are super fast?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420526].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jankph
        I think CloudFlare is a good service, and basically, any site can use CloudFlare, but it really depends on the type of site and where your audience is located.

        As to improving performance there is also Yottaa Optimizer and Google Page Speed.

        The nice thing about CloudFlare is that it not only improves performance, it also adds security.

        Speaking of security, I personally prefer Incapsula, which offers more security in their free plan than CloudFlare does, but CloudFlare has more settings for performance that you can play with. Incapsula's stats and reports and richer than CloudFlare's, I think. Both allow you to ban or whitelist individual IPs. CloudFlare also has a cache feature in case your site goes down.

        I wouldn't discard CloudFlare based on the replies you got here, and CloudFlare is probably doing what it is supposed to do and what it can co, which may not be what you expect it to be able to do.

        For performance I'm inclined to go with CloudFlare, although upon testing both I found both CloudFlare and Incapsula to be equal, so in the end it came down to what I really needed most, performance or security. In my case it was security, hence Incapsula.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5455014].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
      Originally Posted by Matt Glenn View Post

      I am currently using MT and on the CloudFlare free plan. I saw no changes at all in site speed. I am actually moving all my sites over to WP Engine. super fast and they really know WordPress.
      This is honestly pretty unusual (average site sees about a 50-60% performance increase).

      Note: One thing, if you were activating through a hosting partner cPanel like MT, is that we can only proxy traffic going to www. If you have root as well (domain.com), then you need to forward to www for us to proxy and accelerate the traffic.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5480070].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jonson
        CloudFlare protects and accelerates any website online. Once your website is a part of the CloudFlare community, its web traffic is routed through CloudFlare's intelligent global network. CloudFlare will automatically optimize the delivery of your web pages so your visitors get the fastest page load times and best performance.CloudFlare will also block threats and limit abusive bots and crawlers from wasting your bandwidth and server resources. The result: CloudFlare-powered websites see a significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5486023].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blogfreakz
    I used CloudFlare, my static content load fast... but the free account is no SSL, you have to upgrade to PRO..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419607].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
      Originally Posted by blogfreakz View Post

      I used CloudFlare, my static content load fast... but the free account is no SSL, you have to upgrade to PRO..
      We will offer a cheaper SSL option in the future (on the product road map). If you don't want to upgrade to Pro, however, you could move your SSL to a subdomain we don't proxy in your DNS settings (something like secure.yourdomain.com). If you can't do this, then you need to upgrade to Pro.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5479885].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stevetucker30
    Hi, I have also used CloudFlare. It is not at all helpful for site's speed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5455483].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
    Originally Posted by T O M M Y View Post

    Hi Warriors,

    Do you have any experiences about it?

    Some people say CloudFlare made their loading time better and some say it made it worse (specially on free plan)!

    Furthermore what kind of websites should be using than CloudFlare?

    Thanks in advance
    Just a quick note that the free vs. paid really doesn't factor into the equation at all. While the Pro accounts do have more advanced caching options with the website preloader, we don't do anything to slow a site down just because the site is fee.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5479880].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wasabi20
    Seriously? Get away from this. It's bull****.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5487006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andreaskam
    Good to see CloudFlare responding to user comments. I'm having a fairly positive experience with them. Not had any users report issues and I'm seeing a slight jump in website speed (81 to 85 in Google Website Speed Test)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5497230].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
      Originally Posted by andreaskam View Post

      Good to see CloudFlare responding to user comments. I'm having a fairly positive experience with them. Not had any users report issues and I'm seeing a slight jump in website speed (81 to 85 in Google Website Speed Test)
      Thanks. Seeing an improvement is generally the norm for most users, so I always get curious when people say something negative. There's also a number of things to keep in mind when using CloudFlare, so I generally try to hop in with solutions to common problems.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5500587].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Linkie
    yeah, i think CF great...
    but i have some bad experience using the sharing option..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5504148].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
      Originally Posted by Linkie View Post

      yeah, i think CF great...
      but i have some bad experience using the sharing option..
      What do you mean? Like sharing buttons on your site breaking? If so, this would probably happen because of Rocket Loader or Auto Minify. Do you have these turned on? Turning them off should fix the issue, if so.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5522542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author keepkalm
    DamonCloudFlare,

    Note: One thing, if you were activating through a hosting partner cPanel like MT, is that we can only proxy traffic going to www. If you have root as well (domain.com), then you need to forward to www for us to proxy and accelerate the traffic.
    I noticed this when I was going to install through DreamHost, went and set it up through your website instead because I don't use www. on any domain that I set up. CloudFlare works fine for non-www domains when you set it up that way?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7396131].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
      "CloudFlare works fine for non-www domains when you set it up that way?"
      Yes, if you signup directly.

      DNS RFC compliance only allows us to provision CNAMEs via the hosting partner integration, so that's why the www requirement is there.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7400583].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
        Originally Posted by damoncloudflare View Post

        "CloudFlare works fine for non-www domains when you set it up that way?"
        Yes, if you signup directly.

        DNS RFC compliance only allows us to provision CNAMEs via the hosting partner integration, so that's why the www requirement is there.
        Actually, I signed up (but never used it) before seeing the CF logo inside my hosting panel. Just out of curiousity, I added one domain from there and I also got this www-related message.

        Now, if I disconnect that domain from CF via the hosting but add it directly through my CF account - can it be without www? (I just don't ever use www find it redundant and obsolete)
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7400706].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
          Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

          Actually, I signed up (but never used it) before seeing the CF logo inside my hosting panel. Just out of curiousity, I added one domain from there and I also got this www-related message.

          Now, if I disconnect that domain from CF via the hosting but add it directly through my CF account - can it be without www? (I just don't ever use www find it redundant and obsolete)
          Absolutely. The www is not a requirement signing up directly for CloudFlare.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7429860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Annapowe
    I've been thinking about using CDN on my many websites and this article is a step forward to doing so.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7397919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rozertin
    I have been using CF on free plan and for me its working fine. we generally complain without really looking at other view. so use and but yes in free plan it is not that you will get all the facilities.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7436150].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kumarvijay
    I think free account not worthy and i didn't try its Premium account .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7436301].message }}

Trending Topics