Your Feedback Is My Pride

by goleza
34 replies
  • WEB DESIGN
  • |
I am a self-taught web designer and my first website is Goleza Designers | Self-inking Stamps . I would like to seek advice on what else I need to do to improve it. Your feedback is my pride. Please give it!
#feedback #pride
  • Profile picture of the author xtrapunch
    One webpage can have only one set of HTML (opening and closing), title, heading and body tags. You seem to have missed the most basic aspect of HTML--the structure. Stop designing and start learning HTML. Now!

    PS: Check the result of your HTML markup validation: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=go...Inline&group=0
    Signature
    >> Web Design, Wordpress & SEO - XtraPunch.com <<
    Web Design & SEO Agency | Serving World Wide from New Delhi, India

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6406633].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dconjar
    I would go back to Photoshop and start from scratch, to be honest with you. Check out some web design inspiration and read up on basic design and usability principles.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6408874].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goleza
      Hello Dconjar,

      Are you saying that my images lack in quality? What are you exactly saying? Please let me get it clearly.

      Originally Posted by dconjar View Post

      I would go back to Photoshop and start from scratch, to be honest with you. Check out some web design inspiration and read up on basic design and usability principles.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6411710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dconjar
    Originally Posted by goleza View Post

    Are you saying that my images lack in quality? What are you exactly saying? Please let me get it clearly.
    I feel like your site was designed for the sole purpose of being creative and original. And that's not a bad thing, assuming that you adhere to basic design and usability principles.

    This website ignores basic design and usability principles in an irrevocable way. If you want web design prospects to take your business seriously, you need to start from a blank slate. This website cannot be fixed.

    My advice: Spend a few weeks or months studying design and usability, browsing through web design inspiration, and improving your Photoshop skills. Create a brand new mockup in Photoshop and post a screenshot of it here. Get constructive feedback on the design before going into production and worrying about your markup.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6421891].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mattds
      You site looks very old fashioned. Try learning about HTML and CSS. Even with a basic knowledge of these you will be able to see where you went wrong.

      Dont be disheartened though, its all about learning.

      Good luck
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6422306].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author goleza
        "My site look old-fashioned", what specifically is old-fashioned and how can I make it modern? Kindly specify by highlighting for me those elements that make it look archaic and how to rectify them.

        Originally Posted by Mattds View Post

        You site looks very old fashioned. Try learning about HTML and CSS. Even with a basic knowledge of these you will be able to see where you went wrong.

        Dont be disheartened though, its all about learning.

        Good luck
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6425989].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mattds
          When i say your website looks old fasioned i mean it reminds me of the mid 90s, when websites were more basic, only used websafe colours and had very little styling.

          From a web designers point of view it is a prime example of how not to build a website.

          Although with a little bit of tweaking, you could sort it out in no time.

          To start with i would completely get rid of all your flashing banners and Javascript icons. And as Jordi has already said learn some basic graphic design techniques. Learn about colour matching (Try Adobe Kuler ) and study a bit about design.

          Hope this helps
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6433521].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author goleza
            I now understand and thank you for our clarification. Of course the colors need working on. If you leave alone colors what else do you see?

            Originally Posted by Mattds View Post

            When i say your website looks old fasioned i mean it reminds me of the mid 90s, when websites were more basic, only used websafe colours and had very little styling.

            From a web designers point of view it is a prime example of how not to build a website.

            Although with a little bit of tweaking, you could sort it out in no time.

            To start with i would completely get rid of all your flashing banners and Javascript icons. And as Jordi has already said learn some basic graphic design techniques. Learn about colour matching (Try Adobe Kuler ) and study a bit about design.

            Hope this helps
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6437181].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alivestock
    You should learn photoshop and make some good design for ur site .and alos learn html and css it will help u in making ur site attractive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6422818].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goleza
      I currently use CorelDraw to make my desgns. Of course I am not still learning and it would serve best for me to hear from you what needs improvement on the designs. What do you see wrong with the designs? Do they have a very bad appearance, unclear, heavy? What?

      Originally Posted by alivestock View Post

      You should learn photoshop and make some good design for ur site .and alos learn html and css it will help u in making ur site attractive.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6426017].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KurBear
    The doctype is there, just not at the top of the page -
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

    I have to agree though Goleza, your html does need cleaning up, but more importantly you need to start styling with CSS rules to keep up with web standards.

    However, from a design point of view (which I think is what you're after) I would try not to have so much going on - maybe take your logo in the right hand corner as a starting point and run with those colours/themes. I would scrap the heavy blues and blacks and stick to maybe just three colours. The same goes with the font and pictures - keep them simple otherwise it just looks too busy.

    Good luck - I hope this helps!
    Signature
    Exchange hosting is an email service in the Cloud.
    Connect, collaboration and share with hosted Exchange.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6426775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jordi
    All I have to say is this is very bad. The site is unorganized as well as the color matching is no where to be found. The squeeze pop for the sign up, you really don't need that to be there. Overall this site will sink. My honest feedback.

    Maybe for starters you can learn the basics of creating banners and stuff first before you go into web designing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6429227].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goleza
      I appreciate your observation Jordi. But just some clarification. How disorganized do you see it?

      What can I do to the colors so that they match looking at the current colors used?

      What do you see that will make it sink?

      If you can please clarify on the above issues, I will be grateful and you will have constructively helped me to improve because that was the purpose of starting this thread.


      Originally Posted by Jordi View Post

      All I have to say is this is very bad. The site is unorganized as well as the color matching is no where to be found. The squeeze pop for the sign up, you really don't need that to be there. Overall this site will sink. My honest feedback.

      Maybe for starters you can learn the basics of creating banners and stuff first before you go into web designing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6432656].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author benjigbird
    mate i appreciate that you are new to this so i would kindly suggest that you learn a bit more and practice. Get someone to help with your site from warriors to hire and go from there. good luck though mate!
    Signature

    CLICK HERE --> WSO: GUARANTEED GOOGLE 1ST PAGE RANKINGS!!! <-- CLICK HERE

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6432534].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author freewebz01
    looks ok. A bit dated but not that bad.
    Signature
    CLICK HERE --> 10 KEYWORDS ON PAGE #1 FOR ONLY $47 <---CLICK HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6433325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jeracoo
    Oh god burn it with fire, back to the 90's where it belongs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6433427].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goleza
      Why do you think it should be burnt with fire? And why do you think it belongs to the 90's when it's designed by someone of the modern times? Please clarify!
      Originally Posted by jeracoo View Post

      Oh god burn it with fire, back to the 90's where it belongs.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6437204].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IsaacWendt
        The design is horrible, but i can see you are understanding html and css and you just need to learn more about them plus how to create images. At the moment you have a website but you need to learn the other 50% that makes your website have style and actual design.

        You are getting there but you need to join some major blogs and sites that show off sites and learn how to make them.
        Signature

        We Provide SEO and Web Design for Small and Local Business.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6449361].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author goleza
          Isaac, you are the first person to comment on this thread that I understand something on html and css. That's quite motivating and I do appreciate your observation. I have really valued it and will take it seriouly. Thanks.

          Originally Posted by IsaacWendt View Post

          The design is horrible, but i can see you are understanding html and css and you just need to learn more about them plus how to create images. At the moment you have a website but you need to learn the other 50% that makes your website have style and actual design.

          You are getting there but you need to join some major blogs and sites that show off sites and learn how to make them.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6451936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author liindsay
    Wow, that's really disgusting!

    There is no point in me trying to clarify everything I don't like in my post. It's completely out of fashion, and looks like a school kid made the site.

    I can't see anyone buying anything through that website to be honest.

    Here, I just did a search for "web design" as an example and these are the first 2 sites. Please have a look at them, then look at yours and compare. This is the best way I can explain to you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6450042].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EthicalDesigner
      Everyone starts somewhere. I'm sure everyone could design an award winning website when they were 3 right? Right?

      Work on it. You will definitely improve with effort.

      These are pretty awful as well.

      Portfolio | Web Design

      http://www.businesswebdesigns.com.au/portfolio.html
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6450487].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goleza
      Yes Liindsay, I take your point that it's out of fashion and cannot make a sale as you put it. But even Rome wasn't built in one day, so goes the saying. Besides, when people go to school, it takes years of schooling before they can settle to earn from their effort. With time I can always learn to design good sites like yours.

      What matters now is to know where to improve and I wish you were kind enough to point out specifically where I should focus to make my site better and to improve my designing skills. It's one reason why I came to this forum. We come here to learn and to share with others what we know.

      Remember I am self-taught, I never went to any one else to teach me. All what you see is what the little knowledge I have can afford to produce and within a period of not more than a year. It can change over time.

      Whether I can make money out of it or not, that's not the issue now. The issue is what can I do to make it better and eventually make money. I believe I will make money one day with it and I will tell you. You never know, probably some money comes in even now, irrespective of how horrible it looks now.


      Originally Posted by liindsay View Post

      Wow, that's really disgusting!

      There is no point in me trying to clarify everything I don't like in my post. It's completely out of fashion, and looks like a school kid made the site.

      I can't see anyone buying anything through that website to be honest.

      Here, I just did a search for "web design" as an example and these are the first 2 sites. Please have a look at them, then look at yours and compare. This is the best way I can explain to you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6452032].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author liindsay
    Yes, but we move on and adapt. You explained it well about Rome, and your website is basically the Colosseum.

    I've already given you my feedback, the design is old fashion and amateurish.
    What do I think you should work on? The Design.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6455933].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goleza
      I now understand your point Liindsay and I will obviously work on the design to make it look better. Apart from the design any other major area of development you have identified?

      Originally Posted by liindsay View Post

      Yes, but we move on and adapt. You explained it well about Rome, and your website is basically the Colosseum.

      I've already given you my feedback, the design is old fashion and amateurish.
      What do I think you should work on? The Design.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6457373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seokid
    You should learn flash and photoshop and make some good design for ur site .and alos learn html and css it will help u in making ur site attractive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6461181].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abacies
    Hello Mate ,
    please go through the Premium WordPress Themes, Web Templates, Mobile Themes | ThemeForest. You can find the present trend of the webdesigns.
    Signature
    http://wordpressmonk.com/-Get your PSD sliced to HTML/Wordpress
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6511608].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goleza
      I appreciate all your feedback. But apart from the design itself, what else do you see worth mentioning? Well I have seen great designs with great websites though I am many miles away to reach that standard especially if I am not using the templates referred to all the time.

      I would also like to hear about other aspects like loading speed, navigational links, content and many others. I would like to have a wider picture analysis in addition to the design.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6512850].message }}

Trending Topics