Satanic Sales Pitches....

28 replies
It got me too.
...In the midst of a very busy day, I opened up an email from a very popular Linkedin Group focused on direct response.

I thought the copywriter was going to pull the old bait and switch but he didn't.

My response, I gave him a "thumbs up" and told him...
"that's one HELL of a headline..."

What you guys think of this header?

PS
One reason why I think it works so well?
1. They say politics and religion (among other things) easily evoke the emotions
2. Curiosity
3. Intrigue

etc, etc
#copywriting #direct response #pitches #sales #sales pitch #satanic
  • Profile picture of the author Stephen Lessey
    Haha, yea that got my attention, but it can lead to a negative view of the product
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4131218].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
    It will get attention. Any topic that is galvanizing to your audience will. The trick is finding something galvanizing that isn't automatically offensive. You AT LEAST want them to open it and see WHY you used it. But we live in a time where you can get sent to the "SPAM" folder without being opened.

    Now, that's not to say I don't advocate it anyways. If you've got people who will do that, get them OFF your list. I'd rather continue talking to the people that ALWAYS are made curious and want to know more. I can work with that. I CAN'T work with people for whom communication is like a minefield of possible offense.

    YMMV.
    Signature

    Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
    Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4132241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lemonarian
    ^ Well said Colin, agree 100%

    Yeah, it made me open the thread. But yeah, you will need some strong "reason why" immediately following the headline, explaining why you made that choice of words...
    Signature

    * Do You REALLY Need A Million Bucks?
    (Three-part crash-course in how to build a "minimalist" business online)

    * My "fix-all" solution to ANY marketing problem
    (whether you don't even have a website... or you're running a multi-million biz)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4132331].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shadowflux
      I actually opened this thread because I thought someone was promoting Satanic merchandise, I figured it would be fun to help them out. lol

      I personally can't stand when copywriters use tricky tactics like headlines that don't really relate to the subject although I suppose they do work.

      To help limit my disappointment I'll throw out a satanic headline/tagline anyway:

      Sell Your Soul
      God is great but evil PAYS
      Signature
      Native Advertising Specialist
      Dangerously Effective
      Always Discreet
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4132399].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
        Originally Posted by Shadowflux View Post

        I personally can't stand when copywriters use tricky tactics like headlines that don't really relate to the subject although I suppose they do work.
        Anyone can use a non-sequiter. But it takes SKILL to take something SEEMINGLY unrelated and use it as an analogy or metaphor to drive the click through to the target.
        Signature

        Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
        Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4132452].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Shadowflux
          Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

          Anyone can use a non-sequiter. But it takes SKILL to take something SEEMINGLY unrelated and use it as an analogy or metaphor to drive the click through to the target.
          True, all I'm saying is that it turns me off, personally, when I click on something expecting what was mentioned in the headline only to have someone try to sell me on something else, no matter how much skill they use to link the two unrelated topics.

          If the sign says "All you can eat sushi" and then they try to sell me on pizza, I'll probably leave. It could be damn fine pizza but I wanted sushi.

          Although, I can be a bit of a tough customer lol

          I will admit to having used this tactic myself so I know it works, at least for a click through if not an actual sale.
          Signature
          Native Advertising Specialist
          Dangerously Effective
          Always Discreet
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4132781].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JustSomeWarrior
            But what if you're on my pizza-fanatics list, and I open with a headline about sushi, it could be totally appropriate to sell you pizza in the end.

            Dan Kennedy and Bill Glazer do this crap all the time. I even known it... and I still end up opening the mail... but I can rarely afford their stuff ;-)

            Originally Posted by Shadowflux View Post

            True, all I'm saying is that it turns me off, personally, when I click on something expecting what was mentioned in the headline only to have someone try to sell me on something else, no matter how much skill they use to link the two unrelated topics.

            If the sign says "All you can eat sushi" and then they try to sell me on pizza, I'll probably leave. It could be damn fine pizza but I wanted sushi.

            Although, I can be a bit of a tough customer lol

            I will admit to having used this tactic myself so I know it works, at least for a click through if not an actual sale.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4279634].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iSoftware
      Originally Posted by lemonarian View Post

      ^ Well said Colin, agree 100%

      Yeah, it made me open the thread. But yeah, you will need some strong "reason why" immediately following the headline, explaining why you made that choice of words...

      Tjena Lemonarian
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4263640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amydyslex
    Definitely a catchy one as the name itself provoked me to check out this thread
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4133063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross James
    It's very visceral, it plays off your emotions and beliefs... That's pretty clever copy to me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4142314].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agababryn
    quite good and interesting cause it makes u want to know what a hell of product is being promoted.its worth coping definately
    Signature
    For SEO, Website Hosting and design - http://agwebconsult.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4267019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dominicyordz
    It got me, but I now I feel betrayed. Lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4268307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrbawb
    Originally Posted by iSoftware View Post

    What you guys think of this header?
    Certainly got my attention.

    Maybe next time use,"Beelzebub Sales Pitches". ;0)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4268989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Shelton
    To pull it off effectively you gotta be a copy writing rockstar or a real rockstar like the Rolling Stones "Their Satanic Majesties Request"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4283237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Galt
    Ha, it got my attention. Now I'm off to figure out what testing rotations I can throw a variation of this into... Christian Singles maybe??
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4283268].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iSoftware
      Originally Posted by John Galt View Post

      Ha, it got my attention. Now I'm off to figure out what testing rotations I can throw a variation of this into... Christian Singles maybe??
      Yes, I think that could actually work. Because that demographic would probably have an emotional reaction. Actually guys, just for the hell of it I have been monitoring the views on this thread - this swipe headline is very effective!!

      And this place is filled with copywriters - lol
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4314210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peter Gehr
    It got my attention, only because I was ready with all defenses up.

    I don't think it works as a sales pitch, or perhaps it does for the wrong type of people, or evokes the dark side--which I personally prefer to avoid.

    Although it got me hear commenting, it was only because I was slightly incensed and ready to react, but not to buy--that's for sure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4314237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Goldenboy
    It surely attracts my attention but still, some people might think of a negative thought about this. I am sure there would be some reactions with this, you have to be ready for it, lol. I am quite sure, that this will not be the last time I will be reading headlines the same as this, probably I might be reading something like Diablo Sales pitches, or Baal's, lol. It's like Diablo PC game characters enumerated. Hence, it is getting the attention since people might be curious of what this headline is all about. As a matter of fact, one post states that he feels betrayed by the headlines, just kidding and I know he is too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4314492].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4338796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jdk1970
    Getting someone's attention is only half the battle.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4342722].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Studio13
      Yes, it's evokes an immediate response in this culture.

      I often toy with the idea of creating my persona to reflect the 'dark side' - for the very same reason this headline works to grab attention. The points already mentioned are points of contention however. It's a very fine line to walk, one easily crossed.

      Bottom line is there is a huge power in this type of language, but like all power needs to be controlled. Since we work on the minds cape of others, it can be a difficult task to control/reframe a perception of the "dark side."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4342961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bailbondsguys
    It seems to me like they were using "blue collar" language to try to appeal to the "average joe" for clicks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4343733].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iSoftware
      Guys,
      To me this just speaks to the power of a good swipe file! The whole story behind the thread is how the title got one's attention.

      And with 50,000+ marketing messages bombarding the average consumer (in USA at least) - PER DAY - that's half the battle!

      Think about it. If you are reading this, the thread had a 1 in 50,000 chance of being successful. And it succeeded
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4346587].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author livepsycle
    I've seen someone who used Satan in nearly every headline he produced. Worked well too. But I can see a particular audience getting bored of it real quick. Gotta be a constantly new heard.

    It's a great curiosity kicker. It'll get you opens but have a look above at all the people who opened but now are disappointed by the content. So you want to follow it up with lead copy and content that makes sense somehow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4346791].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iSoftware
      Originally Posted by livepsycle View Post

      I've seen someone who used Satan in nearly every headline he produced. Worked well too. But I can see a particular audience getting bored of it real quick. Gotta be a constantly new heard.

      It's a great curiosity kicker. It'll get you opens but have a look above at all the people who opened but now are disappointed by the content. So you want to follow it up with lead copy and content that makes sense somehow.
      Sure! But keep in mind this wasn't a sales letter. This was about one thing - attention.

      Of course we all know once you have attention, you have to do something with it!
      I'm actually creating some software that will track top headlines along with some statistical information...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4348238].message }}
    • Found the post where this headline was used:

      donnie-bryant.com / blog / satanic-sales-pitches

      So it's a blog post, not a sales letter.

      And it actually does have a little something to do with Satan...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4348324].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iSoftware
        Originally Posted by ReallySmartMarketing View Post

        Found the post where this headline was used:

        donnie-bryant.com / blog / satanic-sales-pitches

        So it's a blog post, not a sales letter.

        And it actually does have a little something to do with Satan...
        Actually that's NOT where I first read it (for the record). It's in a closed group of professional direct response writers on Linkedin

        Bryant is a contact of mine and in the group (just mentioned) we all gave him credit for it....

        He broke down his "strategy" behind it even more in the group decisions....
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4348476].message }}

Trending Topics