How to start as a freelance writer?

by gatorx
27 replies
Hello Warriors.

My exact question is this: what is the best way to start freelance writing online? By freelance I mean writing your own content and getting paid for it, not writing what someone else asks of you. And of course it needs to earn some income, otherwise I wouldn't be able to spend much time on it.

I am a content writer who has been in the field for about 3 years. Mostly I have been writing content to clients who hire me. Now I am eager to write my own content and earn a little income through. I hope you understand why I am asking this: there is a difference between writing what you like and writing what you were asked.

I tried out Hubpages on this venture but it has not been successful. Is there any similar website that permits earning via writing your own content?

Thank You
#freelance #start #writer
  • Profile picture of the author Flyingpig7
    Yes there are, how about Constant content. You write any topic you like and set your own prices and what licences you're willing to sell.
    Signature

    Have a great day

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9738921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by gatorx View Post

    By freelance I mean writing your own content and getting paid for it, not writing what someone else asks of you.
    Well, please excuse the observation that that's a strange starting-position: you're certainly using the word "freelance" with a very different meaning from how everyone else uses it?

    Who's going to pay you, if you're not writing what someone else asks of you?

    Originally Posted by gatorx View Post

    I hope you understand why I am asking this: there is a difference between writing what you like and writing what you were asked.
    There is, indeed. The difference, for a freelance writer, is that one is paid and the other is unpaid, surely?

    Originally Posted by gatorx View Post

    I tried out Hubpages on this venture but it has not been successful. Is there any similar website that permits earning via writing your own content?
    Earning from whom? Who's going to pay you?? (Sorry - I'm having difficulty understanding your question, here ).

    I used to be a freelance writer (in 2007/8, when I first started online).

    I rapidly decided that I'd be much better off "being my own only customer" and writing for myself. I was writing articles for marketers - mostly affiliate marketers - and charging about $60 per article. I knew very little indeed about affiliate marketing and was wondering how they were apparently using the articles to earn more than they were paying for them (inferred by their continually coming back for more). So I started investigating that - not difficult, through Google - and decided to stop being a freelance writer and become an affiliate marketer instead. (A very good decision, as it turned out, but that's another story.) But this seems not to be what you're asking, at all?

    You can also write articles on anything you like and offer them for sale at Constant-Content, where countless articles change hands in the $50 - $100 price-range every day (it might help to choose a niche/subject with viable market, if that's still "anything you like"?) ... but I think this kind of thing also isn't what you're asking about?

    Can you tell us a little more about what sort of business model you have in mind, and where the income's going to come from??

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9738926].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dreamingeyes
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      You can also write articles on anything you like and offer them for sale at Constant-Content, where countless articles change hands in the $50 - $100 price-range every day (it might help to choose a niche/subject with viable market, if that's still "anything you like"?) ... but I think this kind of thing also isn't what you're asking about?

      Can you tell us a little more about what sort of business model you have in mind, and where the income's going to come from??

      .
      Hahaha. Alexa you are amazing. You play with words and gives idea, awesome.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9739364].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gatorx
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Well, please excuse the observation that that's a strange starting-position: you're certainly using the word "freelance" with a very different meaning from how everyone else uses it?

      Who's going to pay you, if you're not writing what someone else asks of you?



      There is, indeed. The difference, for a freelance writer, is that one is paid and the other is unpaid, surely?



      Earning from whom? Who's going to pay you?? (Sorry - I'm having difficulty understanding your question, here ).

      I used to be a freelance writer (in 2007/8, when I first started online).

      I rapidly decided that I'd be much better off "being my own only customer" and writing for myself. I was writing articles for marketers - mostly affiliate marketers - and charging about $60 per article. I knew very little indeed about affiliate marketing and was wondering how they were apparently using the articles to earn more than they were paying for them (inferred by their continually coming back for more). So I started investigating that - not difficult, through Google - and decided to stop being a freelance writer and become an affiliate marketer instead. (A very good decision, as it turned out, but that's another story.) But this seems not to be what you're asking, at all?

      You can also write articles on anything you like and offer them for sale at Constant-Content, where countless articles change hands in the $50 - $100 price-range every day (it might help to choose a niche/subject with viable market, if that's still "anything you like"?) ... but I think this kind of thing also isn't what you're asking about?

      Can you tell us a little more about what sort of business model you have in mind, and where the income's going to come from??

      .
      Maybe freelance isn't the right term I guess. I don't know the exact term for what I am talking about. But you get the hang of it don't you. Yes, I am looking for something like Constant-content; thanks for mentioning it in the end (though it took quite some time for you to state it).
      Signature

      Aspiring Online Content Writer. My Profile

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746576].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author research
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Well, please excuse the observation that that's a strange starting-position: you're certainly using the word "freelance" with a very different meaning from how everyone else uses it?

      Who's going to pay you, if you're not writing what someone else asks of you?



      There is, indeed. The difference, for a freelance writer, is that one is paid and the other is unpaid, surely?



      Earning from whom? Who's going to pay you?? (Sorry - I'm having difficulty understanding your question, here ).

      I used to be a freelance writer (in 2007/8, when I first started online).

      I rapidly decided that I'd be much better off "being my own only customer" and writing for myself. I was writing articles for marketers - mostly affiliate marketers - and charging about $60 per article. I knew very little indeed about affiliate marketing and was wondering how they were apparently using the articles to earn more than they were paying for them (inferred by their continually coming back for more). So I started investigating that - not difficult, through Google - and decided to stop being a freelance writer and become an affiliate marketer instead. (A very good decision, as it turned out, but that's another story.) But this seems not to be what you're asking, at all?

      You can also write articles on anything you like and offer them for sale at Constant-Content, where countless articles change hands in the $50 - $100 price-range every day (it might help to choose a niche/subject with viable market, if that's still "anything you like"?) ... but I think this kind of thing also isn't what you're asking about?

      Can you tell us a little more about what sort of business model you have in mind, and where the income's going to come from??

      .
      You have an interesting and valid point here.

      Misuse of words is so popular.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9756378].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cali16
    Originally Posted by gatorx View Post

    there is a difference between writing what you like and writing what you were asked.
    Yes, there is. You're not going to make any money if there's no demand for writing "what you like". If you want to go that route, I'd recommend creating products (e.g. eBooks, etc.) and selling them, but only on topics for which there is a market. Otherwise, you'll just be wasting your time. My point is that there may not be a market for the type of content you enjoy writing. If there is, great. But if there's not, then plan on doing it as a hobby only.

    I'm curious as to why, if you've been writing content for clients for 3 years, that you're asking how to "start" as a freelance writer. Sounds like you already are one...

    Edited to add: Alexa must have posted while I was typing my response.
    Signature
    If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9738933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author avalon2013
    Few days ago I accidentally stumble on this article, have a look it might be helpfur for you
    20 Sites To Get Paid For Writing And Blogging – Best Of
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9738985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ElGuapo
    Originally Posted by gatorx View Post

    My exact question is this: what is the best way to start freelance writing online? By freelance I mean writing your own content and getting paid for it, not writing what someone else asks of you. And of course it needs to earn some income, otherwise I wouldn't be able to spend much time on it.
    A couple suggestions spring to mind:

    1. Kindle books. If you can write, you can make a passive income.
    2. PLR packages. Put together some knockout content in a range of popular niches. Then sell 'em, either as individual packages or as part of a membership site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9739321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Out of the box method for you to consider...

    Local businesses need regular content for their local sites. Whether they know it (yet) or not. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to do the following:

    - Let these businesses know they need regular content;
    - Provide that regular content.

    Steps.

    1. Make a FB Page.
    2. Make a website.
    3. Contact local businesses via the following:

    - FB
    - Adsense Boxes
    - Websites
    - Twitter
    - G+
    - LinkedIn
    - Wherever else the local flower shops, etc, hang out online.

    Explain to them the benefits of regular content updates. Explain what you do and the effects it is likely to have on their business. You're local. They're local. Most local businesses would prefer to deal with a local, rather than someone halfway around the planet.

    Short-Term

    1. Supply content. You can even decide on the content (they often need advice, steering).
    2. If you're able to, provide other services: web design, marketing, management.

    Long-Term

    One word: outsource.

    Outcome

    What you want are regular clients paying subscriptions for content. What you really want is a situation where you are the middleman. Work hard at this for 3 to 6 months and you'll be making some decent money.

    Simple one, but effective.

    Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic
    Learn one way I earn money: I give away free stuff.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9739415].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
    Originally Posted by gatorx View Post


    I hope you understand why I am asking this: there is a difference between
    writing what you like
    and writing what you were asked.
    Clue us in on what you like to write, OK?

    gjabiz
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9739492].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    I have been writing for 5 years. I write for lots of different people. I also write for myself and post on my sites and other places but not for money.
    I like the satisfaction of knowing I will be paid for what I write and so far I have been very happy with what I am doing.

    If that is not what you want to do, then you should Google ways to make money writing for yourself and, as others have suggested, there are ways to do it but don't use the word freelance if writing for yourself because that's not the right word.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Website / Blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9739999].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    Fortunately you have several choices, however you do want to match what you "want" to write with what people are looking for. When I started out I did quite well writing to questions people had in given niches and then putting my own spin on that article...sometimes it was done as a story, other times as a case study and sometimes with humor.

    Some options for you are:

    1. Start a blog or two around a topic you are interested in and that others are interested in - then research topics and put your personality into your blog posts. Over time, you pull traffic into a list, sell related affiliate offers and even put together your own ebooks or info products related to that market

    2. PLR content - you take a series of articles around a topic and package them with private label rights for others to modify and use as they wish (except disallowing them selling it as PLR themselves)

    3. Depending on your topic, you can sign contracts with businesses and/or marketers who want to have you write in their general topic area (Ex 10 articles a month) and give you some leeway on what the exact topics will be

    4. Move right to developing your own products (reports, slides for videos or webinars, ebooks, guides, etc...) - here you have to pay extra attention to write for the highest demand topics and demand

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9740023].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author owenlee
    Hi,

    To write something that you like, you can always start a blog. You may not directly earn from your writing (get paid from writing), you may earn through affiliate products, Adsense or related CPA offer.

    Another way is to write a few article and resell them as a package for a limited copies. At least is from a topic that you like.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Carlos Stratton
    Building relationships and bringing quality work can guarantee your success.

    Good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745725].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spearce000
    Write your own e-book and sell it. That's the best way to make money online as a writer.
    Signature
    WordPress Security Clampdown – was just for the War Room, now available to all Warriors. Protect your WordPress site from hackers. No opt-in required.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eac113
    Publishing an e-book would be an obvious example, using a service like iwriter would allow you sharpen your skills and get paid while working on your own projects.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Terrance01
    You can always try QualityGal they accept writers from all over the world and pays at least $12 per article (average of $12 and a maximum of $50) depending upon the quality of content. Payment for completed and accepted articles is made via PayPal or Check every week.

    If you want to make some money quickly.

    Cheers,
    -Terrance
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746372].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      The older (before IM) definition of "freelance writer" was someone who writes in depth articles about various topics and submits them to magazines and newspapers in the hope the article will be purchased and published.

      When an article was sold, it usually was published under the writer's byline and freelance writers specialized in certain areas. Someone who traveled might write and submit frequent articles on cities or regions - or restaurants in a certain place - etc. Another writer might focus only on sports related articles.

      It's not the same as online marketers today think of as "freelance writer" but it's a valid way to earn through writing and the article writers who can sell their work make a decent amount of money.

      Since the OP has not returned to further specify what he's asking about...we've about covered every eventuality in this thread.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746399].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gatorx
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        The older (before IM) definition of "freelance writer" was someone who writes in depth articles about various topics and submits them to magazines and newspapers in the hope the article will be purchased and published.
        Yes, that is exactly what I meant by freelance writer. The only difference is I am referring to online writing. So it isn't off the mark after all.
        Signature

        Aspiring Online Content Writer. My Profile

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746588].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Originally Posted by gatorx View Post

    Hello Warriors.

    My exact question is this: what is the best way to start freelance writing online? By freelance I mean writing your own content and getting paid for it, not writing what someone else asks of you. And of course it needs to earn some income, otherwise I wouldn't be able to spend much time on it.

    I am a content writer who has been in the field for about 3 years. Mostly I have been writing content to clients who hire me. Now I am eager to write my own content and earn a little income through. I hope you understand why I am asking this: there is a difference between writing what you like and writing what you were asked.

    I tried out Hubpages on this venture but it has not been successful. Is there any similar website that permits earning via writing your own content?

    Thank You
    What you describe isn't freelance writing at all. You've been a freelancer for three years.

    I've been where you are. About five years ago I wrote a couple of landing pages for two affiliate marketers. They made the mistake in telling me how well they were converting. One was getting better than 55% clickthroughs leading to a high priced product. The other was just under 50%. They wanted to hire me exclusively.

    That's when the lights went on and I stopped calling myself a freelance writer and began writing for me. Kindle fiction and nonfiction, independent ebooks, and my own Web content. I'm still not anywhere close to full capacity but I do have one book that has sold more than 4000 copies and a couple more that are shaping up to be hot sellers. I've got one I've been piddling around with for almost a year that will sell thousands by accident if I just get off my hiney and finish it.

    Write for a client and get paid once. Write for yourself and get paid multiple times.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746422].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      What you describe isn't freelance writing at all. You've been a freelancer for three years.

      I've been where you are. About five years ago I wrote a couple of landing pages for two affiliate marketers. They made the mistake in telling me how well they were converting. One was getting better than 55% clickthroughs leading to a high priced product. The other was just under 50%. They wanted to hire me exclusively.

      That's when the lights went on and I stopped calling myself a freelance writer and began writing for me. Kindle fiction and nonfiction, independent ebooks, and my own Web content. I'm still not anywhere close to full capacity but I do have one book that has sold more than 4000 copies and a couple more that are shaping up to be hot sellers. I've got one I've been piddling around with for almost a year that will sell thousands by accident if I just get off my hiney and finish it.

      Write for a client and get paid once. Write for yourself and get paid multiple times.
      I like this one! Good on you.
      Signature

      Express Article Rewriting & Proofreading Services via Freelancer, from the author of How to Turn a Dull Article Into a Blockbuster. Download FREE eBook! Here's the link: https://www.freelancer.com/u/tojona.html

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9756163].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usemyteam
    How about creating a blog and then work from there. A how to or what to do blog maybe helpful. After which you can share it through social media and then later on you can earn by writing an ebook. Or you can write through websites who sell content. There are many ways but this should be a good start.
    Signature

    Not Just “Another” Team
    UseMyTeam

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746438].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gatorx
    Thanks for the replies. I am considering trying Ghostbloggers but I have seen some negative reviews and comments on it so far. Are they hoax of competitors or is the site working well? I mean is the marketplace healthy there?
    Signature

    Aspiring Online Content Writer. My Profile

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derrickmiller
    You want to know what is the best way of writing freelancing. But you don't want to be hired!!!

    You are a good writer. So you can earn money by blogging. For this you need a website and write good articles there, bring traffic to your website, be member of adsense/Affiliate program then you can earn money.
    Signature

    If you want best free tutorials for Affiliate Marketing
    Check bellow links:
    To learn about best niches
    To learn about traffic and sell products
    To learn YouTube marketing

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746705].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
    Blog your work and make sure that whatever you do, the last paragraph in your articles leads on to a product you're selling. Weave it in very cleverly and they won't even notice they're being pitched. You'll find relevant products to any topic under the sun at ClickBank.
    Signature

    Express Article Rewriting & Proofreading Services via Freelancer, from the author of How to Turn a Dull Article Into a Blockbuster. Download FREE eBook! Here's the link: https://www.freelancer.com/u/tojona.html

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9756155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bhavesh
    You can find freelance writing projects here :

    Good Luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9756177].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anynewsbd
    Try to write good content in your own blog if you had if not no problem try to write another website/blog also you can try to find job in freelancer website like odesk, elance, getacoder.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9756196].message }}

Trending Topics