Where can I learn more about content writing?

29 replies
So I'm starting a content/informational site for traveling.
I plan to write the articles/posts myself.
Example of some titles will be like "10 things to do in Dudai", or "Why you should travel young" that kind of stuff.
I want to learn how to write such content, so that it drives high traffic to my page.
I know it involves keyword research, but that's about the limit that I know.

I believe this whole thing about writing content that drives traffic is called content writing (not SEO or SEM)?
Any suggestions on where to learn more about the subject?
#content #learn #writing
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    Besides using the Search button here and typing in " Content Writing" and reading through those posts on the main forum. You should really spend time reading the Copy Writing section of the forum. Both sections will give you ideas how to write good content and write good copy when needed.


    Just found a thread that might help you - Read Ozi's post http://www.warriorforum.com/copywrit...-stickies.html
    Signature

    Find a cure for Covid -19 join.worldcommunitygrid.org

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10549786].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sven300
    You need to study SEO. Start by reading "Search Engine Land's Guide To SEO" and also "Google Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide".

    To learn how to write effectively for the web, I recommend "The Yahoo Style Guide": it's extremely comprehensive.

    Type these words (titles) in Google Search and you will automatically arrive on the site.

    Good luck!

    P.S. Obviously the forum resources are interesting too.
    Signature
    I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10549787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jennifer Hutson
    Good content writing is about writing great articles that genuinely help people, not SEO. Stop writing for search engines and write for people. That is what will get you visitors who keep coming back for more.

    If you write generic, overly-optimized keyword junk that people can find anywhere else on the internet, you'll never build a brand.

    Be unique. Be a problem-solver. Write great content. That's all you need to do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10550087].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheGMa
      Originally Posted by Jennifer Hutson View Post

      Good content writing is about writing great articles that genuinely help people, not SEO. Stop writing for search engines and write for people. That is what will get you visitors who keep coming back for more.

      If you write generic, overly-optimized keyword junk that people can find anywhere else on the internet, you'll never build a brand.

      Be unique. Be a problem-solver. Write great content. That's all you need to do.
      Hmmm. What I do is find out what's trending in my niche, what problems are being asked or addressed that day or week, do my homework, and write content based on search terms about the subject. That way, I'm doing both - writing for SEO and being very helpful.

      Tank 1942, if you haven read through Snack Memory's post above, stop and go through it again.

      No matter how you slice it, putting your readers first is what it's all about. Everyone is on the Internet looking for something and our job is to find it and give it to them without battering or boring them. Just like the answers you are finding in this thread. The forum is actually a microcosm of the Internet.

      - Annie

      PS - danieldesai's list is spot on. Those are the same sites I follow. They are real, down to earth, and easy to understand.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10550951].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BradVert2013
      Originally Posted by Jennifer Hutson View Post

      Good content writing is about writing great articles that genuinely help people, not SEO. Stop writing for search engines and write for people. That is what will get you visitors who keep coming back for more.

      If you write generic, overly-optimized keyword junk that people can find anywhere else on the internet, you'll never build a brand.

      Be unique. Be a problem-solver. Write great content. That's all you need to do.
      Excellent point! Write for people, not search engines.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10551927].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author delicbilj
      Thanks, this is great and useful advice. Mostly writers forgot to write for people and they focus too much on keywords and SEO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10571745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danieldesai
    If you want to learn how to write high quality content, I highly recommend you check out the following sites and make sure to subscribe to their email lists:

    copyblogger.com

    boostblogtraffic.com

    contentmarketinginstitute.com

    quicksprout.com

    ^^^

    When you follow these sites and their writers/owners, you'll come to realize that successful content marketing boils down to producing high quality content and promoting it effectively.

    Regards,
    Daniel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10550189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author extrememan
    Simply google it or type content marketing in YouTube. You can work it out for free..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10550540].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I highly suggest you visit Ryan's blog at bloggingfromparadise.com

      He's a member here and has several interesting short kindle books available about travel blogging. Very readable writing style that has worked well for him.
      Signature
      Just wait a second – so what you're telling me is that my chance of surviving all this is directly linked to the common sense of others? You’re kidding, right?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10550570].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NomadLifestyle
        This is probably going to be opposite of what everyone else is going to tell you...

        ... But...

        ... It totally worked for me.

        The fastest (and best) way to learn anything is to do it. And to do a lot. To make tons and tons of mistakes.

        However, instead of making mistakes for FREE...

        ... Why not get paid for it?

        If I were in your shoes, and I was at one point, I would put up a thread here on the warrior forum and start getting clients.

        Approach client work with an open mind, and find out what their specifications are for their writing projects.

        It isn't always the case, but it is often the case, the people who are outsourcing their work typically know what works better than the theoretical (here's how to write great content) stuff that gets thrown around all the time.

        I've learned my greatest lessons as a writer by working with some of the most successful Internet marketers on the planet.

        What inevitably happened every single time, is I came into that working relationship with certain ideas about how content worked. Ideas that I was taught through these "how to write content" courses.

        Almost without exception, these successful marketers would tell me "no, that's not how we do things. Write it like this." And I would.

        Now, I'm not saying to avoid content creation courses or advice.

        What I am saying is, the best way to learn would be to mix client work with these courses.

        Content creation isn't like computer programming.

        It is in black and white, it's often very gray at best.

        For example, you can measure every single click, you can heat map the content, you can do A/B testing etc.

        And you can walk away from a project knowing exactly which piece of content was the "best" for your business, but...

        ... Trying to replicate that success isn't nearly as simple as reverse engineering a piece of content that was already successful.

        The "science of going viral" isn't a science at all. Not in traditional terms.

        So, just to restate, learn stuff online, sure, but take it with a grain of salt and try your best to get in touch with people who actually make their living online paying for other people to write content. They have much better insights, and can lead you toward successful content creation much better.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10550928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SnackMemory
    Originally Posted by tank1942 View Post

    So I'm starting a content/informational site for traveling.
    I plan to write the articles/posts myself.
    Example of some titles will be like "10 things to do in Dudai", or "Why you should travel young" that kind of stuff.
    I want to learn how to write such content, so that it drives high traffic to my page.
    I know it involves keyword research, but that's about the limit that I know.

    I believe this whole thing about writing content that drives traffic is called content writing (not SEO or SEM)?
    Any suggestions on where to learn more about the subject?


    Writing content to draw traffic is SEO based, partly.


    When you write content search engines see it, many people try to include keywords that they know others will search for.


    Content draws traffic via sharing and SEO, people share it if they like it and search engines pick up on key phrases.


    When you write content for your site, try to keep in mind both aspects of how it draws traffic. If it well made and useful people might share it. As for SEO, if the content is engaging, matches keywords, and well shared and linked, it will likely rank well, depending on competition.


    When I write content for my site, I keep in mind both reader and bot. I make my page good for search engine algorithms by keeping in mind keywords, engagement, content, and links. I pay attention to my readers, and sometimes get e-mail from them with suggestions to make my content better, and often incorporate it.


    I have a webpage on Tootsie Pops Tootsie Pops and when I made it I focused on both how much readers would like it, as well as optimization. Over time after making sure the content was good, search engines picked up on it. Eventually some readers would even E-mail me about my Tootsie Pop page with suggestions for improvement. As time went on it began climb in rank and now I get traffic to that page via the SERPS and also sharing from interested readers.


    So when you make content, it is both for SEO and also for the reader. You could ignore one and go for the other, but both kind of go hand in hand, often automatically.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10550949].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by SnackMemory View Post

      Writing content to draw traffic is SEO based, partly.


      When you write content search engines see it, many people try to include keywords that they know others will search for.


      Content draws traffic via sharing and SEO, people share it if they like it and search engines pick up on key phrases.


      When you write content for your site, try to keep in mind both aspects of how it draws traffic. If it well made and useful people might share it. As for SEO, if the content is engaging, matches keywords, and well shared and linked, it will likely rank well, depending on competition.


      When I write content for my site, I keep in mind both reader and bot. I make my page good for search engine algorithms by keeping in mind keywords, engagement, content, and links. I pay attention to my readers, and sometimes get e-mail from them with suggestions to make my content better, and often incorporate it.


      I have a webpage on Tootsie Pops Tootsie Pops and when I made it I focused on both how much readers would like it, as well as optimization. Over time after making sure the content was good, search engines picked up on it. Eventually some readers would even E-mail me about my Tootsie Pop page with suggestions for improvement. As time went on it began climb in rank and now I get traffic to that page via the SERPS and also sharing from interested readers.


      So when you make content, it is both for SEO and also for the reader. You could ignore one and go for the other, but both kind of go hand in hand, often automatically.
      Good stuff and thanks to your memorable blog i wasted 10 minutes of my valuable time today to find out that it takes 3,481 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.... a burning question that has stumped me for years LOL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10551913].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BradVert2013
    Read a lot of blog posts on popular blogs to see what works. Just do a Google search and you'll find plenty of stuff. It's also a lot of practice. That's probably the best way to learn is t just sit down and start writing. When I began blogging in 2007 I had no idea what I was doing. Just a lot of trial and error.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10551923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pardu
    My fav is copyblogger.com
    Signature

    Moderator's Note: Affiliate link not allowed. Please edit.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10552079].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Verdatti
      I'll second this one

      Copyblogger and authority blogs are great sources of inspiration and education. You should also keep an eye on the biggest blogs on your niche to see what are they writing about and the content that gets more comments and social votes.

      Last but not least use something as Buzzsumo to see the content that got the most social votes on your niche. This will show you exactly the kind of articles you should write in your own blog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10552234].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sven300
        Originally Posted by Jennifer Hutson View Post

        Good content writing is about writing great articles that genuinely help people, not SEO. Stop writing for search engines and write for people.
        Originally Posted by BradVert2013 View Post

        Excellent point! Write for people, not search engines.
        As a former content writer (in French) and as a former SEO, I fully agree that you need to write good content for humans.

        But SEO is to...

        1) find what kind of good content people search on Google, Bing, Yahoo and DuckDuckGo.

        2) find what kind of keywords people use to get that good content

        3) choose the best subjects and the best keywords to perform well against the competition.

        4) ensure that site content is accessible to search engines

        5) promote good content you have created (social media, backlink strategy, etc ...)

        6) check that pages load quickly and look good on any device (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone)

        7) etc...

        The current debate should not be " good content" vs "SEO". Or "write for humans" vs "write for the search engines".

        Old SEO techniques that allowed the wrong content to perform well in the search engines are obsolete since the Penguin and Panda algorithm updates (five years ago).

        Therefore, I maintain that good SEO is indispensable for your good content to be seen by the largest number of people.

        Yes, write good content for humans. But use SEO resources and your good content will have the greatest possible impact.

        Good luck!
        Signature
        I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10552627].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rory Singh
    What ever niche you pick to 'write' about, just make sure that it's one that you are very knowledgeable about or have an 'extreme' interest for.

    When people write about things they clearly know nothing about, people feel that and see right through you (no matter how good you try to sound).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10552613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ra42
    i would find articles which i like and follow their guidelines.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10553175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HelenVendo
    You can find a great base of sources here - https://blog.kissmetrics.com/44-cont...ing-resources/
    Hope it helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10553370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oliver55
    I would recommend you to help you with Google keyword planner, then when you wrote your article you can analyze the text with Yoast SEO.
    Then scoop.it personally really like that you can use as content curation, and it is really very useful.
    But 'it is essential that the content of your blog is unique and really done well.
    do a lot of research about the subject that you want to treat, subscribe to forums, other blog looks similar to yours, you have to treat well this phase, and you have to take care of fine details.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10553476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author saurabhthakur12
    I highly recommended you to read the professionals blog like Copyblogger, Boostblogtraffic, Quicksprout, Marketingland & Contentmarketinginstitute.

    These blogs are written by industry professionals & them helps you know how to write your content an informative way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10570419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Surge Calls
    Aside from having proper grammer and sentence structuring(you can research how to do so via google search) you should find a unique writing style that readers can connect with on a more interpersonal level. Everyone is different and this will reflect in their writing as well. For example, some people have a more "buddy" type of writing where it seems like they talk to the readers, some are more authoritative and tries to teach others about their ideas etc. Make sure you develop your own.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10570779].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jack Bane
      Originally Posted by Surge Calls View Post

      Aside from having proper grammer and sentence structuring(you can research how to do so via google search) you should find a unique writing style that readers can connect with on a more interpersonal level. Everyone is different and this will reflect in their writing as well. For example, some people have a more "buddy" type of writing where it seems like they talk to the readers, some are more authoritative and tries to teach others about their ideas etc. Make sure you develop your own.
      Proper grammar and spelling IMO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10570818].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author satyajit
        Hi, content writing is most important for search engine optimization project. A good relevant content gives you more visitor . To perform as a SEO specialist you can help from internet. Specially I suggest you to follow the Google SEO content writing or article writing rules. It's help you 95% to be a good content writer. If need any help message me, I always ready to you.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10570861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imperets
    I don't see a reason not to take a formal writing course on Coursera or Lynda.com. Once you did that, make a blog and start adding posts. With time you'll become faster and better. I am not sure that offering yourself as a freelance content writer is a sound idea since those services are rather low paid.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10570867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Well....

    1) You can practice on your own by researching topics and writing articles about them yourself

    2) You can read a good book about content writing (PM me and i'll send you a guide for free to download)

    3) Bring back the art of penmanship, and start a diary. Get into the habit of writing about stuff everyday
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10570985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ydsimple
    You must learn SEO if you want to get organic traffic. There are many courses here. Before buying one read reviews and comments.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10571836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
    You learn most about content writing
    writing daily, at minimum 2,000 words
    a day.

    That's how you get good.

    That's how you find your voice.

    Signature
    **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10571961].message }}

Trending Topics