What's the single most important skill a modern marketer needs?

50 replies
In an ever changing context in Internet Marketing what is the most important skill a modern marketer must have?

I guess it could be:
- Writing: the ability to write great actionable content and copy that sells
- SEO: generating organic traffic to your website gives the best ROI of all the traffic sources
- Digital Advertising: understanding PPC and the ability to lower CPA running successful campaigns after successful campaigns
- Technical: whether it's writing code or doing designing work to make sure you website looks/runs perfectly
- Networking: involving social media optimization and influencer outreach as a way of getting referenced as an industry expert
- Creativity: the ability to come up with the 'WOW!' factor in marketing campaigns that make people click every single time
- Data Analysis: understanding data of your website and what you can do to optimize it, whether it's Google Analytics of PPC optimization

And many many more can be added to the list.

I personally believe the one trait to be successful is curiosity. Curiosity will lead you to ask "why are people not subscribing more" and "if I change something will it increase conversions?".

That leads to testing, fixing things that don't work, and doubling down on things that do.

A very close second would be adaptability. The beauty of the Internet Marketing world is that two days are never the same and as problems change so do the potential solutions to tackle that. Thus the right mindset to always be adapting is essential.

What do you think is the most important skill?
#important #marketer #modern #single #skill
  • Profile picture of the author karlamoreniche
    I agree, adaptability is definitely an important skill in order to stay up-to-date in the ever-changing digital marketing world. I would also add "doer"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10747762].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Happy Steve
    I would say Self Motivation to be driven especially in the early days when things can get hard.
    Signature
    The #1 online Jungle Music resource!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10747782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Marketing is about communicating with people. Always has been, modern and ancient.

    The most important skill for any marketer to have is an understanding of human psychology - to know what drives and motivates people. Every successful marketer or salesperson is a student of this. I say student because you'll never fully master this skill.

    Nevertheless, it should be your lifelong study.
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10747888].message }}
  • I would say to learn the art of selling without selling

    To me i feel this is a quality which many people do not have and if some one can master it it will be good
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10747916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EPoltrack77
    Id have to say my mindset and how to think which is a skill as well. Seeing results and going out and being able to get the results all determines on how you are thinking.
    Signature
    Free Video Training Sharing The Steps To Succeed With Affiliate Marketing.
    Get Access At www.cbaffiliatecareer.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10747967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Burritt
    All good points Dan.

    The only thing I'll add is persistence. I find that staying committed and not giving up is a very important 'skill' to develop. It takes time, practice, failing, learning, growing and to keep going.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    Non-Search-Engine-Dependant traffic generation.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    the ability to seek out and find information.
    al
    Signature
    1984 and Animal Farm are supposed to be WARNINGS not instruction manuals
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748109].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
      I've often wondered what value I get from this forum.

      Here's a good example.

      This got me thinking (I do sometimes).

      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      the ability to seek out and find information.
      al
      Software idea for forums.

      Our suspect clicks "New Thread."

      They type in something simple like, "What is the meaning of life?"

      As soon as they move their cursor to the message area, the software does an instant Google search of the title. It pops up in a new window with options;

      This is no help, continue posting.

      Yes, this answered my question, discard new thread.


      You could set it to the number of words or post count or some other metric.

      If I were a forum owner more interested in quality than quantity, I would buy one.

      I wonder if this would actually keep people from posting easily Googled questions.
      Signature
      Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
      All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748532].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
        Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post


        I wonder if this would actually keep people from posting easily Googled questions.
        My guess is it absolutely would not.
        Signature

        If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748561].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author luvbuggal89
    I think creativity is the biggest asset. I know this from my own personal experience in marketing. Online business is ever changing and evolving in one way or another and if you don't keep you mind constantly engaged, you will be left behind there is no doubt about it.

    How does one boost their own creativity? That's a very good question, and one I am very interested in developing. One of the reasons your current employee is not your employer, is that they don't see the things that YOU see. Also the reason you are not your bosses boss, is because you might not be seeing the things that they see.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748168].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joan2009
    seo, keyword research and content writing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Problem solving.

    Being a business owner is about pushing through road blocks and obstacles.

    Whatever you are lacking or needing in your business, whatever stops you from moving forward, there is a solution to that problem.
    • How do you know what your market wants?
    • How do you get more traffic?
    • How do you set up a profitable selling system?
    • How do you convert prospects into buyers?
    • How do you find or create quality products?
    • How do you nurture and care for your customers?
    • How do you increase your income?
    Any question that arises presents a problem that needs solving.

    Learn how to get over, around, or through your own business challenges and you will become a very successful marketer.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748229].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PvPGuy
      I was going to say research in the vein of deeply knowing your audience, blah blah, but then Steve B perfectly encapsulated my thought process and virtually every other intelligent answer to the question in two words:


      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Problem solving.
      Succinct much?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    Concentration.

    In a world where everything is blinking, beeping, ringing, gesticulating for our attention, a good marketer needs to be able to put on the blinders, block out distractions, and get to work.


    You can outsource nearly everything else, but if you can't focus on your goals, develop your plan, and engage your brain without constantly being interrupted by email, text messages, TV, and Candy #@#$%&^%$ Crush, you aren't getting anywhere.
    Signature

    If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748334].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Two things:

    1. The ability to communicate effectively

    This means writing - but also posting on forums, talking to potential clients, hiring freelancers to write or work for you. It is also the ability to sort through and understand what others communicate to you - not as easy as you might think.

    I have great admiration for those who are able to work in a second language but have suggested to a few people over the years that they target buyers in their own native tongue. I did that because those people were obviously smart and focused and motivated - but struggling due to difficulties with English. Three have reported back to me that it worked great for them.

    Communication is more than finding the right word - it's the ability to concepts and ideas, planning and details - the subtleties that make communication WORK.

    2. The ability to cut through the static and judge what is - and is not - important.

    Dan covered that one above.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but for that one dog, the world will change forever.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748358].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Two things:

      1. The ability to communicate effectively

      This means writing - but also posting on forums, talking to potential clients, hiring freelancers to write or work for you. It is also the ability to sort through and understand what others communicate to you - not as easy as you might think.

      I have great admiration for those who are able to work in a second language but have suggested to a few people over the years that they target buyers in their own native tongue. I did that because those people were obviously smart and focused and motivated - but struggling due to difficulties with English. Three have reported back to me that it worked great for them.

      Communication is more than finding the right word - it's the ability to concepts and ideas, planning and details - the subtleties that make communication WORK.

      2. The ability to cut through the static and judge what is - and is not - important.

      Dan covered that one above.
      Communication is more than finding the right words - yes it is, actually communication is the ground base 0 of everything we do online or offline.

      online people sometimes isolate themselves and become digital nomads and are drifting around instead of solving their problems they sooner or later run into.

      instead of sourcing the phone number of these people that create the problem and get on the phone and negotiate a solution. That is not an option, you gotta do it or you will go nowhere in life.

      personal 1-on-1. Dont be shy, i was shy once, today i laugh about it,
      practice to talk to anyone anywhere, at any time of day & night and

      Doors will open !
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TrickyDick
    The one skill?

    It is VERY simple..... But, not easy for most...

    Learn how to sell boldly and effectively.....

    For the most part, everything else turns into "busy work" that distracts one from selling.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ashok Panda
    Originally Posted by dansilvestre View Post

    In an ever changing context in Internet Marketing what is the most important skill a modern marketer must have?

    I guess it could be:
    - Writing: the ability to write great actionable content and copy that sells
    - SEO: generating organic traffic to your website gives the best ROI of all the traffic sources
    - Digital Advertising: understanding PPC and the ability to lower CPA running successful campaigns after successful campaigns
    - Technical: whether it's writing code or doing designing work to make sure you website looks/runs perfectly
    - Networking: involving social media optimization and influencer outreach as a way of getting referenced as an industry expert
    - Creativity: the ability to come up with the 'WOW!' factor in marketing campaigns that make people click every single time
    - Data Analysis: understanding data of your website and what you can do to optimize it, whether it's Google Analytics of PPC optimization

    And many many more can be added to the list.

    I personally believe the one trait to be successful is curiosity. Curiosity will lead you to ask "why are people not subscribing more" and "if I change something will it increase conversions?".

    That leads to testing, fixing things that don't work, and doubling down on things that do.

    A very close second would be adaptability. The beauty of the Internet Marketing world is that two days are never the same and as problems change so do the potential solutions to tackle that. Thus the right mindset to always be adapting is essential.

    What do you think is the most important skill?

    When it comes to be successful as an internet marketer the first thing you need is to know what are the people hungry for ? Second step is do you have the ability to create solutions which can meet the needs. Be it anything , lead generation , sub marketing niche, coaching, support , SEO SEM SMM ...the list goes on .

    third thing is which channels you could use to bridge the gap and if you have the ability to provide value , post sales service and if need be to Scale up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748568].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronnierokk
    I look at it this way...being self sufficient is the best way to go if you can handle it.

    Learn as many marketing abilities as you can. Get certified in as many category topics as you can.

    This way you don't have to worry about someone else doing it right for you.

    Now there comes a time when you have to outsource, because you are so freaking busy doing other things and that's understandable.

    To have as much abilities as you can in marketing, will definitely put you in demand and make you a more sought after marketer in the industry.

    Which is something that every marketers strives for.

    Take myself. I have 3 certs right now such as: Email Marketing Specialist, Social & Community Manger, Value Optimization Specialist, and 4 more on the way.

    So my advice would be to learn as much as you can and never stop.

    The trends and how things work are changing everyday, so it's best to make
    sure you are current and up to date at all times

    And that's my 2 cents

    Ronnie Rokk Smith ~ The Faceless Guru
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

    The most important skill for any marketer to have is an understanding of human psychology - to know what drives and motivates people. Every successful marketer or salesperson is a student of this. I say student because you'll never fully master this skill.
    Couple this with empathy, and the sky is the limit.

    The rest is mechanics.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FinishMyGoals
    Perseverance.
    Signature

    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author leilani
    The single most important skill a modern marketer needs is plain and simple:

    Ability to build a targeted, qualified list of people that needs their solution (product/service). And protect and service that list with your life!!

    Leilani
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rory Singh
    This is not a skill but I know it's something that every 'upcoming' marketer needs in order to succeed...

    As FinishMyGoals said above...

    PERSEVERANCE!

    The ability to start and finish and succeed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrFume
    I would say 'Versatility' is the most important trait to possess. It all comes down to Skills, the more skills you can master the more leverage you have although Writing is always the most powerful skill, when you think about it all online skills flow on from good writing, targeted writing, relevant writing. Tech skills can all be outsourced but if you do not know what you are doing concerning the content of your online presence, you are pretty much screwed.
    Signature

    The whole basis of what we do as human beings is based on Communication, nothing would be possible otherwise. I work with communication, publishing on the Web, digital media.
    Digital Media for a Noisy World

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mb2590
    When all else fails, networking will always triumph because marketing is people-centered no matter what type of marketing it is. Network Marketing involves selling to PEOPLE through networking. Affiliate Marketing doesn't have much of a person touch while technology exists, but should technology suddenly go POOF networking could still keep things running. However I want to add that having patience is a skill to be exercised frequently in this industry because nothing happens overnight unless you've built up to that point. Even further, I don't thing any one skill is more important that the other because to survive as a marketer you need to either posses or attempt to develop several skills including the ones you've listed before. Networking and patience lay the foundation so everything else will fall in place so to speak.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kazimuhith
    Content Creation and Quality Traffic Generation..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dylan Barns
    Agree. The most important skill for a marketer is adaptability. Moreover the main keys to be successful marketer are to be patient, honest and knowledgeable about affiliate marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749578].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      And did your noggin hurt?

      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post


      This got me thinking (I do sometimes).
      Skill or trait?

      Originally Posted by Dylan Barns View Post

      Agree. The most important skill for a marketer is adaptability. Moreover the main keys to be successful marketer are to be patient, honest and knowledgeable about affiliate marketing.
      Anybody noticed that nobody really has 1 skill listed? That some people list traits as skills?

      Learn to be resilient/resourceful is my one and only skill for success.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by dansilvestre View Post

    What's the single most important skill a modern marketer needs?
    Originally Posted by dansilvestre View Post

    What do you think is the most important skill?


    The ability to separate fact from fiction.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749663].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LGCalab
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      The ability to separate fact from fiction.
      This is probably the most important skill. So many are tempted for the quick and easy route and it takes them years to learn there really isn't one. Once they have that much wasted time under their belts, most quit as opposed to starting from scratch, the right way.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KinneyJ2014
    a great digital marketer, you'll need to not only implement strong inbound and outbound digital strategies, but analyze them regularly, and use those insights to constantly improve.

    Without the ability to crunch the data received from social media, email campaigns, SEO, PPC and content, digital marketers have no way to prove their value to a company.

    If you want to land a high-paying digital marketing job and keep it, make ROI your middle name.


    Signature
    Set S.M.A.R.T. goals
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750363].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gallag97
    i would say a good work ethic, but that stems from the person depending how they grow up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Edwin Torres
    I would say that having HUSTLE, DRIVE, and PASSION are three qualities every marketer/business person/entrepeneur should have.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
    curiosity

    noun
    1.
    a strong desire to know or learn something.
    "filled with curiosity, she peered through the window"
    synonyms: inquisitiveness, interest, spirit of enquiry; informalnosiness
    "his evasiveness roused my curiosity"
    2.
    an unusual or interesting object or fact.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750856].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
    I like the idea of curiosity, I also thing adaptable could be the shining light here as we really do need to be chameleons in the work we do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Subod
    Modern Marketer should be a Good Strategist. If strategy is prepared then then he can find the way to promote business more easily.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750873].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    modern marketer??????????????

    I guess he or she needs to understand that marketers of the past would do just as well as "modern" marketers BECAUSE at the end of the day its all about building relationships with people.

    Thats it and thats all it will be.
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10751142].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by yukon View Post

    The ability to separate fact from fiction.
    Originally Posted by LGCalab View Post

    This is probably the most important skill. So many are tempted for the quick and easy route and it takes them years to learn there really isn't one. Once they have that much wasted time under their belts, most quit as opposed to starting from scratch, the right way.
    LGCalab, that blade slices both ways. A lot of people waste a lot of time and effort because they believed when someone told them perfectly sensible things were either dead, scams, BS or just plain didn't work. They didn't realize that the people making those claims were either woefully under informed or had agendas of their own.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10751663].message }}
  • Success in affiliate marketing is more dependent on your state of mind and attitude- determination, commitment, focus, patience, and all other positive traits are needed to be able to achieve success in affiliate marketing. Another important thing to always remember is not to focus more on how much you'll earn, especially if you are still starting. Money/Earnings will come easily if you stay focused on the important things at the moment. Take one step at a time and soon you'll realize that you've already come a long way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10755761].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      Ok. But what's the single most important skill a modern marketer should have?

      Originally Posted by affilorama-portal View Post

      Success in affiliate marketing is more dependent on your state of mind and attitude- determination, commitment, focus, patience, and all other positive traits are needed to be able to achieve success in affiliate marketing. Another important thing to always remember is not to focus more on how much you'll earn, especially if you are still starting. Money/Earnings will come easily if you stay focused on the important things at the moment. Take one step at a time and soon you'll realize that you've already come a long way.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10755775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bluerays
    Writing copy that sells is a skill that every marketers must have...if s/he doesn't have that skill; earn that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tyronne78
    The ability to write copy that:


    -Empathizes with people
    -Entertains people
    -Keeps them engaged
    -Gets them to take action now
    -Gets them to buy
    -Gets them to buy again and again!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Sperry
    Some great replies. I would say that all of the bullet points in the OP, as well as some of the additional skills mentioned by others, are equally important. (Unless, of course, you only do paid marketing or SEO exclusively. Then you would not need to be skilled in the other one.)

    I think for the modern marketer to go from hobby money to a serious full-time income he/she needs to be skilled in EVERY area. Or h/s needs to get skilled at outsourcing certain aspects. The current IM environment is nothing like it was even just a few years ago. It is no place for weak sissies that are not willing to 1) educate themselves 2) work hard 3) continually adapt.

    With that said I do think one of the least trained or talked about skills is TESTING. Getting very skilled at the testing and data analysis will help you to see where you need to improve or tweak in every other area. Skilled testing can often help you save time, get more targeted traffic, and earn more money! Testing helps you to quit following the marketing myths and cliches. It gives you the data you need for YOUR niche, product, traffic, etc. Not someone else's. Testing always tells the truth!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DaveOnline
    Patience is huge...

    If you have a "right now" mindset, you won't get very far.
    Signature
    [FREE] System Reveals How You Can Generate $5K In Commissions Per Month From Home
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757356].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vikash_kumar
    I agree with many other warriors...

    Its Patience and Perseverance

    Not an easy qualities to have, Almost all of us have experienced or may still be struggling with our marketing campaigns and at the sam time, we try to derive conclusions (almost always negatively) without putting enough effort on a single campaign..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757422].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martin1977
    I agree with the original post.

    For success you will need definitely:
    - Self-motivation
    - Never give up attiude
    - Take action
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757811].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      But which is the most important skill a modern marketer...

      Originally Posted by Martin1977 View Post

      I agree with the original post.

      For success you will need definitely:
      - Self-motivation
      - Never give up attiude
      - Take action
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757886].message }}

Trending Topics