What the heck am I doing wrong!

28 replies
Hey all,

I've started affiliate marketing about 5 months ago. I have a site up in the outdoors niche similar to REI, EMS, etc. I post rich content, have a YouTube channel where I actually make infield video review for the products that I sell from Amazon and actually own and use. I have a Facebook Page, Instagram, and Twitter account which is updated regularly, especially my Instagram account. I get likes, followers but no sales.

I'm not exactly sure what I am doing wrong. I just switched over to a VPS SSD server to speed my site up for my users experience. It's really fast. I don't expect to see returns overnight but I would at least want to see some sales or clicks to Amazon for what I am doing.

In terms of Advertising these are the mediums that I use... Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram for the Image of the product that I actually own and my YouTube channel as well. I would love to get some tips or feedback on how I can gain more views, clicks and turn that into actual sales. Users can also buy from my website and when added to the cart becomes an Amazon checkout. I set it up very fluid and clean and the site is awesome I think.

Should I be doing paid advertising for the products I am trying to sell off Amazon even though I'm not getting paid? Should I be running (Facebook ad's, Adwords, etc?) All help will be greatly appreciated.
#advertising #affiliate marketing #facebook ad #heck #marketing #sales #wrong
  • Profile picture of the author davidoriolguide
    Try paid advertising just take $50 dollars to bing then you will know where you stand. Those free traffic may not be as good as you may think they are....
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10819314].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rollingsolo
      Originally Posted by davidoriolguide View Post

      Try paid advertising just take $50 dollars to bing then you will know where you stand. Those free traffic may not be as good as you may think they are....
      Thank you! Would you run ad's based off the blog post and products your selling? Facebook ad's seem to be pretty good. Adwords seems very expensive but also very good with targeting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10819318].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
        obviously he has no traffic so far,

        without traffic he cannot know what his visitors will do

        hey,

        you definitely need some form of advertising, we basically cannot know
        or predict what does work in your case. This you have to test out by yourself.

        yes i know, multiple options testing is kind of expensive, but we all did it,
        and finally find something that is cost effective and gives a positive return on investment.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10819368].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
      Originally Posted by davidoriolguide View Post

      Try paid advertising just take $50 dollars to bing then you will know where you stand. Those free traffic may not be as good as you may think they are....
      Don't buy ANY advertising. The first thing you need to do is understand what your visitors are looking for. Buying advertising is a waste of money at this point.

      Are people even clicking your affiliate links? If not, your content or website branding sucks. You aren't convincing people to buy from you. If they ARE clicking links, that's all you can do.

      What, exactly, is happening on your site?
      Signature
      Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
      CLICK HERE FOR INFO
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10819366].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author EelKat
        Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

        Are people even clicking your affiliate links? If not, your content or website branding sucks. You aren't convincing people to buy from you. If they ARE clicking links, that's all you can do.
        This is something to consider.

        If they ARE clicking the links... WHAT product do they buy after clicking?

        I had a page that for a short while had a spike in traffic, as well as a correlated spike in affiliate income. Oddly however, the item on the page (which they clicked on) was not the item they ended up buying. Four different people clicked the item link on my page to buy the exact same DIFFERENT item. 7 others bought other items, again, similar to the 4 identical ones.

        Now at first this may seem normal. Click one item, buy a different similar item right?

        Well, that's not what was happened.

        They were clicking on wigs, fake claws, and other similar costume supply items. What they were actually BUYING was embroidery books, crossstich books, needlepoint books.... uhm... different topic entirely!

        What did this tell me?

        This told me that some how the primary keyword bringing traffic to my page, was a keyword being searched for by needlecrafters. They were finding my costume page, then clicking through to Amazon to buy books about embroidery.

        This told me that I had hit on a popular keyword and that keyword was sending me traffic, but unfortunatly, the traffic that was arriving, was looking for the keyword as it was used for a different hobby then the hobby my page was about.

        This taught me that, while my page was reaching AN audience, it was not reaching my TARGET audience.


        Originally Posted by rollingsolo View Post

        Hi JohnMcCabe and everyone! I started this thread a while back and have since put the site down to begin an internet business with a long time friend who's a marketing guru. I don't talk to him much about my side projects like my amazon affiliate site.

        But I wanted to share that I was able to get 1 sale with 6 link clicks. I haven't been doing much to the site besides sharing it on my social media networks like (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook) page that I setup for it. If you would like to check out the site you can do so here... Homepage - Camp Bike Hike.

        I have no plans on selling this site at all. In fact after making my first sale I'd like to upscale it. I've only had it for a little less than a year now so I think it has potential. I'm an outdoorsman so I wrote all the content myself and created all the images and videos as well.

        I would really like to make more sales off it because I believe that I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also... I updated the site for this spring season today and also put out a $5.00 a day Facebook advert for testing that will run for 5 days.

        Cheers!

        After looking at your site, I see some conflict between what you say and what I see on your site.

        You said:I wrote all the content myself

        Well, after clicking 20+ pages open, I gave up on looking for any content you wrote. There is absolutely 100% ZERO text on your site anywhere. I'm not sure what content you wrote, but I simply can not find it. Perhaps the articles and product reviews are not linked to your navabar and that is why I did not find any of them? This could be why you are not getting sales. If I'm not finding a single, solitary word of content anywhere, perhaps no one else is finding it either. You might want to check your dashboard and make sure your articles and reviews are not set to private/draft, because I just can not find them anywhere at all.

        I did however see the blog posts. Is that the content you mentioned? The blog seems to be an "after thought" stuck in at the end of your navabar, with nothing really directing the visitor to click into it, no incentive to look and find the reviews in your posts.

        Your site seems to focus on pretending to be a store, but clicking on the item only takes the person to Amazon to buy from Amazon and not YOU directly, as the site is implying.I think this could perhaps be part of your problem, why you are not getting much sales.

        See, my first impression was that I had entered a REAL online store. So clicking the item, I expect to buy it from YOU. I don't expect to BOOM be taken to Amazon. I think, that comes off feeling too "bait and switch" (deceptive) for most people and thus would have them click away from your site LONG before they explore it far enough to find the blog where your content is.

        Yes, I do agree your site has potential. I can see you've put quite a bit of work and effort into it, but I think your focus it reversed on how it should be.

        I think, if it was my site, what I would do is completely reverse the focus:

        You are currently focusing on: "BUY! BUY! BUY! GIMMIE MONEY!" right up front and center. The first thing a viewer sees is big product images. They assume they are in a store. Nothing tells them to read your articles. The only clue they have that there is any content at all, is that one link titled "blog" and really, think about it - when was the last time YOU clicked on a store's blog? Do you read Amazon's blog? Did you even know they had one? They do you know. Just like on your site, it's one little link titled "blog". No one reads it. Why would they? They are there to shop not read.

        The end result is you are putting a lot of effort into a blog that no one is ever going to look at.

        What you want to do it fix this. You WANT people seeing your BLOG POSTS first.

        Now, you came here to Warrior's implying that you had a content site that had affiliate links. But that is NOT what your site is. Not even close. And that's why you are getting no traffic.

        I am a content writer. This is my full time job. Writing content for a site and getting paid via traffic clicks is my full time income. Go to my site (eelkat.com) and what do you see?

        Product links? No!

        Store front? No!

        What do you see? Links to articles. Links to pages of information.

        Look at my navabar... do you see ANY product links in the naavabar? No! ALL links to articles. If you spent to time to do so, you can get to 879 different article pages directly from the navabar itself. But not one single link to ANY products.

        Look at your navabar. ALL product links. NOTHING but product links. NOT even ONE single, solitary link to ANY of your articles or reviews. Not one. Every single link in your navabar goes directly to a product sales page.

        Now, if you are a STORE, then yeah, putting product links in the navabar makes since. But you are NOT a store, you are a product reviewer with a content site, intending to drive traffic to affiliate income links, via writing content articles. However, because you are promoting products over content, no one who visits your site is even aware you have content to look for, and you've not clued them in to the fact that they should look for it, so they simply click away from your site, not realizing you wrote all that content.

        Now that I have actually seen your site, the cure to your problem is quite simple: get your articles front and center. Your blog posts are good. The pictures from your camping trips are phenomenal. Seeing the products in actual use is great incentive to get people to buy.

        The gallery method you have used to display products on your front page.... regulate those product pages to the dark side of your site, where you currently have your blog. Then, take that gallery format, and instead of a product in each spot, put a blog post there. Take an image from your blog post, put it where the product image is. That link going to the product sales page? Switch it out, make it lead to your blog post review page instead.

        You have 8 products prominently displayed on your home page - replace those with links to 8 blog posts instead. You link to the products on your blog posts, so you have absolutely 100% no need for the product pages at all. You can completely remove those from your site.

        In your navabar, it says:HOME
        CAMP/HIKE
        BIKE
        APPAREL
        GADGETS
        FOOTWEAR
        GEAR

        When I click on Camp/Hike I EXPECT to be taken to a page that lists all of your reviews, articles, and blog posts about camp/hike stuff. Is that what I got? Nope. I just got a page full of random products. Not one review by you. Not one article by you. Not one blog post by you. Again, toss the product links. Get them out of the navabar. Put links to your articles, reviews, and posts in their place.

        You want to drive people to your CONTENT. Your content wets their appetite, fills them with the desire to buy. Just slapping products at random in their face, makes them leave your site. You want people to get to your articles, FIRST, then, and ONLY after they have read your review, only then, do you post the link to the product. After they have seen your photos of your camping trip, after they have read your adventures, then, they will be thinking: "I want to experience this too. I should buy that. I wonder where I can buy it?" That's the point when they start looking for the product, and lucking them, the final part of your blog post will be a link conveniently provided at exactly the point when they started to look for it (and not before.)

        Yes, I agree with you, your site looks great and certainly has potential. If you focus on the blog, getting your article center focus, and use your reviews to get people fired up to buy, displaying your articles on the home page and linking to your articles not the products themselves, from your navabar, you should start to see a better return on your efforts.

        Overall, a great site, just put more focus on helping people learn what they can do with the products and less emphasis on the buy, buy, buy. Remember: people want to learn WHY they should buy a product, not just have the product posted in their face. Give them a reason to want to buy. That should always come first.

        Also, you are actually writing a niche I know. Full-time RVer here, that's my RV in my avatar (you'll see lots of pictures of her on my site as well). I tend to visit a lot of camping sites as a result of my lifestyle and I can say, you certainly have one of the better looking sites out there in the camping niche. Your taking your own photos of your actual camping trip is a real plus. You might want to focus on that too. Perhaps add a section on camera equipment and maybe even ad some articles on how to take photos of camping trips. Photography is a big part of camping. Birdwatchers, fishermen, etc, do a lot of photography on their trips. My boyfriend is a photographer, has $2,000 cameras with $5,000 lenses. You start targeting campers who are obsessed with nature photography, you could make some serious income. Those cameras they use are not cheap and those affiliate percentages start adding up fast. You seem to have a talent for camp photography, but have not touched on that aspect of camping - could be just the break you are looking for.

        Hope this helps you out. Good luck with it.
        Signature

        My review of Flamboyant Nipples: The Site That Supports KKK Anti-Gay Terrorist Crimes
        Info on my Novels is HERE. History of Stephen King's Thinner Gypsies is HERE.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11050159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by rollingsolo View Post

    Should I be running (Facebook ad's, Adwords, etc?) All help will be greatly appreciated.


    Worst idea ever considering you will never control the sale price of any Amazon affiliate product. Plus the Amazon cookie sucks.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10819573].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vikash_kumar
    Someone rightly said, You need to know about the visitor behaviour when they are coming to your website.

    Have you installed any tracking system to track what they are doing on your site?

    If yes! Analyse them and tweak the setup accordingly.
    If not! Track them first.

    If the visitor count is very low then initial advertising in a controlled way is best to use to get an idea about the visitor behaviour on your website.

    Hope it helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10819578].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RefuseToLose
    Your problem started when you went down the path of selling products via amazon.

    Don't get me wrong. Amazon is great... If you have a lot of free traffic. Which is why a lot of people have specialized niche websites they try and rank certain products or niches in google.

    The problem with amazon is the affiliate fees suck. They aren't high enough to make things like paid advertising worth it in most cases.

    So most traditional paid advertising is out of the question. Which leaves you with what you are doing now...

    Trying to start from the bottom and build up a brand / rich content to get ranked so you can get the free traffic needed to succeed. The problem with this approach?

    Time.

    The fact that you are even getting views, followers, likes, is a good indicator that you are heading in the right direction, but being only 4 months in, it's still a bit early if you are playing the long game with SEO with a small budget.

    Now the pros of doing it the way you are currently doing it is you are building a good solid foundation for your business. It may take a long time to see any meaningful returns, but once you get a foothold in the search engines and google starts noticing you... you basically have free traffic for life. Which is something everyone wants, but nobody wants to work towards.

    The cons of doing it the way you are currently doing it? All that free traffic will still be cold traffic in terms of people ready to buy. At most you will probably only convert 1-5% of that traffic depending on how good your website is. and out of that 1-5% you're only going to get around 4-8% (on average) commission. Let's just do a little number experiment...

    Let's say you get 10,000 niche targeted people to your website every month (that's about 333 people per day visiting your site. That's pretty high for a regular amazon affiliate site in a normal sized niche).

    lets say from those 10,000 people your website is converting at an above average conversion rate of 5% for a regular niche product. so 5% out of 10,000 is 500 people buying something per month.

    Let's say your average product price is $50 (it will most likely be lower, but it depends on what your niche is). With a base commission rate of around 6% on average. You're looking at $3.00 per sale.

    with 500 people per month buying at $3.00 is $1500.

    Not bad right? Well take away taxes and cost of running that site. You're looking at around $1250 per month. Still not bad...

    But those numbers above were above average stats.

    More than likely you won't ever come close to hitting 10,000 unique views per month on your niche website without some extensive SEO work.

    You probably won't come close to converting 5% of that traffic even if you did get it because you need a good website / landing page for that traffic to convert and who knows if you will even rank for good 'buying' keywords and not just junk keywords that do nothing for you.

    For most people the reality is that most of the above average hard workers only ever get around 100 unique's a day to their amazon affiliate sites and average 3% or lower conversion rates on that traffic.

    making only a couple hundred bucks per month (pre tax and cost). Which is why a lot of people end up building as many of these little sites as possible to make up for such low earnings. But you have to ask yourself if all of this is worth it in the end?

    Basically there are so many factors that go into creating a successful amazon affiliate site that in the end the payoff is hardly worth it the time and effort for most people.

    You could focus all your time building up these little amazon niche websites and have a nice little portfolio of sites making you a nice residual income, but that could take years to do (especially if you don't want to invest in any SEO work). And that's just how long it would take for the SEO, not actually working on anything else like writing content, split testing your landing pages for higher conversions, etc, etc.

    It's hard work.

    That's why I always say sites like these should be side projects, not main projects. These things take time to grow, like planting a tree. If you want to make real money and see your effort pay off more quickly you need to focus on something like regular affiliate marketing using paid advertising. Sell products that pay you 50-75% of their cost and do it using paid advertising where there is no limit to how much traffic you can buy.

    You could start working on an regular affiliate website selling something like skincare products for $40 a sale. Within a week its possible to be profitable making 100-200%+ ROI on every dollar you spend on advertising. If you work your ass off and do it right from the start it's possible to go from making nothing to doing over $100 to $1000+ a day in profit in less than a month. Those aren't typical results for your average affiliate, but there is only a handful of legit ways I've seen anyone in this industry go from nothing to making millions and doing affiliate marketing / promoting your own product using paid traffic is one of the most consistent ways of doing it.

    So you have to ask yourself if the time you are putting into your amazon site is worth it to you? Are you ok spending months, maybe even years working on something that may only provide a couple hundred to maybe a couple thousand (if you are lucky) a month? Or would you rather keep that amazon site as a side project, let it grow, and work on something with bigger potential?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10819913].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rollingsolo
      Originally Posted by RefuseToLose View Post

      Your problem started when you went down the path of selling products via amazon.

      Don't get me wrong. Amazon is great... If you have a lot of free traffic. Which is why a lot of people have specialized niche websites they try and rank certain products or niches in google.

      The problem with amazon is the affiliate fees suck. They aren't high enough to make things like paid advertising worth it in most cases.

      So most traditional paid advertising is out of the question. Which leaves you with what you are doing now...

      Trying to start from the bottom and build up a brand / rich content to get ranked so you can get the free traffic needed to succeed. The problem with this approach?

      Time.

      The fact that you are even getting views, followers, likes, is a good indicator that you are heading in the right direction, but being only 4 months in, it's still a bit early if you are playing the long game with SEO with a small budget.

      Now the pros of doing it the way you are currently doing it is you are building a good solid foundation for your business. It may take a long time to see any meaningful returns, but once you get a foothold in the search engines and google starts noticing you... you basically have free traffic for life. Which is something everyone wants, but nobody wants to work towards.

      The cons of doing it the way you are currently doing it? All that free traffic will still be cold traffic in terms of people ready to buy. At most you will probably only convert 1-5% of that traffic depending on how good your website is. and out of that 1-5% you're only going to get around 4-8% (on average) commission. Let's just do a little number experiment...

      Let's say you get 10,000 niche targeted people to your website every month (that's about 333 people per day visiting your site. That's pretty high for a regular amazon affiliate site in a normal sized niche).

      lets say from those 10,000 people your website is converting at an above average conversion rate of 5% for a regular niche product. so 5% out of 10,000 is 500 people buying something per month.

      Let's say your average product price is $50 (it will most likely be lower, but it depends on what your niche is). With a base commission rate of around 6% on average. You're looking at $3.00 per sale.

      with 500 people per month buying at $3.00 is $1500.

      Not bad right? Well take away taxes and cost of running that site. You're looking at around $1250 per month. Still not bad...

      But those numbers above were above average stats.

      More than likely you won't ever come close to hitting 10,000 unique views per month on your niche website without some extensive SEO work.

      You probably won't come close to converting 5% of that traffic even if you did get it because you need a good website / landing page for that traffic to convert and who knows if you will even rank for good 'buying' keywords and not just junk keywords that do nothing for you.

      For most people the reality is that most of the above average hard workers only ever get around 100 unique's a day to their amazon affiliate sites and average 3% or lower conversion rates on that traffic.

      making only a couple hundred bucks per month (pre tax and cost). Which is why a lot of people end up building as many of these little sites as possible to make up for such low earnings. But you have to ask yourself if all of this is worth it in the end?

      Basically there are so many factors that go into creating a successful amazon affiliate site that in the end the payoff is hardly worth it the time and effort for most people.

      You could focus all your time building up these little amazon niche websites and have a nice little portfolio of sites making you a nice residual income, but that could take years to do (especially if you don't want to invest in any SEO work). And that's just how long it would take for the SEO, not actually working on anything else like writing content, split testing your landing pages for higher conversions, etc, etc.

      It's hard work.

      That's why I always say sites like these should be side projects, not main projects. These things take time to grow, like planting a tree. If you want to make real money and see your effort pay off more quickly you need to focus on something like regular affiliate marketing using paid advertising. Sell products that pay you 50-75% of their cost and do it using paid advertising where there is no limit to how much traffic you can buy.

      You could start working on an regular affiliate website selling something like skincare products for $40 a sale. Within a week its possible to be profitable making 100-200%+ ROI on every dollar you spend on advertising. If you work your ass off and do it right from the start it's possible to go from making nothing to doing over $100 to $1000+ a day in profit in less than a month. Those aren't typical results for your average affiliate, but there is only a handful of legit ways I've seen anyone in this industry go from nothing to making millions and doing affiliate marketing / promoting your own product using paid traffic is one of the most consistent ways of doing it.

      So you have to ask yourself if the time you are putting into your amazon site is worth it to you? Are you ok spending months, maybe even years working on something that may only provide a couple hundred to maybe a couple thousand (if you are lucky) a month? Or would you rather keep that amazon site as a side project, let it grow, and work on something with bigger potential?

      Thanks for this!

      This is a side project for me! I got into this via "Project Life Mastery" on Youtube. I have product and rich written content by me using the products that I sell on the site. I setup an add on Facebook to post tomorrow through Friday which will be $5.00 a day. I need to test things out and see what works. Yesterday after I made my blog post for a product review I recently finished My analytics said that page alone had 554 visits. My Amazon Affiliate account had 2 clicks to their site from that with no sales.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10820137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ernest Spencer
    How many traffic are you getting on daily basis?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10820198].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rollingsolo
      Originally Posted by Ernest Spencer View Post

      How many traffic are you getting on daily basis?
      Varies... I can't exactly tell you at the moment. When I first started the site I was on a shared host any my site was running slow and getting suspended due to malware so I lost lots of traffic. I've changed my server to a VPS SSD and it's very fast which should rank the site better in Google's search engine over time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10820245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    You have this traffic buzzing around your content, congrats on that bro!

    but Are you collecting emails?

    Amazon and other outdoor affiliate are great side income streams for this niche.

    I'd collect emails and survey them to see what they want then create a product around it.

    You can use a google form as your thank you page and start collecting data:
    https://www.google.com/forms/about/

    Here is a great podcast on the subject:
    SPI 178: The Ask Formula?How to Discover Exactly What Your Audience Will Buy (Even If You Don?t Have a Following) with Ryan Levesque

    Best of luck,
    Ike Paz
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10820210].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author roeegol
      Hi there.
      I do affiliate marketing myself and find it to be a game of experimentation to start with. Although I bought a program that guides me step by step, results in the form of money does not come to me straight away.

      I've PMd you about this, but my suggestion is perseverance, patience and tweaking. Just measure everything you do to see if you get results and if you don't then stop doing that and try something else
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10820235].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rollingsolo
        Originally Posted by roeegol View Post

        Hi there.
        I do affiliate marketing myself and find it to be a game of experimentation to start with. Although I bought a program that guides me step by step, results in the form of money does not come to me straight away.

        I've PMd you about this, but my suggestion is perseverance, patience and tweaking. Just measure everything you do to see if you get results and if you don't then stop doing that and try something else
        Thanks for chiming in. I received your PM. This is a game of experimentation that's for sure. I don't think there's a wrong way to do it in terms of advertising. I'm using as many mediums as I can. I'm pretty good with social media and I'm essentially building a brand with my project. Social media is a huge aspect of it and people want to see that. In terms of my advertising it's all trial and error. You have to spend money to make it. I'll be testing things out using free and paid and see what works best.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10820250].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rollingsolo
      Originally Posted by aizaku View Post

      You have this traffic buzzing around your content, congrats on that bro!

      but Are you collecting emails?

      Amazon and other outdoor affiliate are great side income streams for this niche.

      I'd collect emails and survey them to see what they want then create a product around it.

      You can use a google form as your thank you page and start collecting data:
      https://www.google.com/forms/about/

      Here is a great podcast on the subject:
      SPI 178: The Ask Formula?How to Discover Exactly What Your Audience Will Buy (Even If You Don?t Have a Following) with Ryan Levesque

      Best of luck,
      Ike Paz
      Well that's the thing... I'm looking to collect emails and only captured one. This was from a PPC solo ad that I did. I do have a popup to collect emails once a user visits the site it will pop up after a few seconds of search. I also have sign up forms on my sidebar. Thanks for this information, I didn't know Google had these forms.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10820248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    My analytics said that page alone had 554 visits. My Amazon Affiliate account had 2 clicks to their site from that with no sales.
    Either you are not targeting the right people or your page setup sucks.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10870155].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simon Farmer
      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

      Either you are not targeting the right people or your page setup sucks.
      Completely agree with Brent. That amount of clicks to your site and then only two through to the Amazon product... Something is not right there. I would have to try extremely hard to have that bad a click through rate from site to product.

      Are you preselling the product correctly on your site?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10871369].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ian Jackson
    Right now, in one sentence, what relationship do you have with your subscribers?







    Originally Posted by rollingsolo View Post

    Hey all,

    I've started affiliate marketing about 5 months ago. I have a site up in the outdoors niche similar to REI, EMS, etc. I post rich content, have a YouTube channel where I actually make infield video review for the products that I sell from Amazon and actually own and use. I have a Facebook Page, Instagram, and Twitter account which is updated regularly, especially my Instagram account. I get likes, followers but no sales.

    I'm not exactly sure what I am doing wrong. I just switched over to a VPS SSD server to speed my site up for my users experience. It's really fast. I don't expect to see returns overnight but I would at least want to see some sales or clicks to Amazon for what I am doing.

    In terms of Advertising these are the mediums that I use... Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram for the Image of the product that I actually own and my YouTube channel as well. I would love to get some tips or feedback on how I can gain more views, clicks and turn that into actual sales. Users can also buy from my website and when added to the cart becomes an Amazon checkout. I set it up very fluid and clean and the site is awesome I think.

    Should I be doing paid advertising for the products I am trying to sell off Amazon even though I'm not getting paid? Should I be running (Facebook ad's, Adwords, etc?) All help will be greatly appreciated.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10871431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

    Either you are not targeting the right people or your page setup sucks.
    Originally Posted by Simon Farmer View Post

    Completely agree with Brent. That amount of clicks to your site and then only two through to the Amazon product... Something is not right there. I would have to try extremely hard to have that bad a click through rate from site to product.

    Are you preselling the product correctly on your site?
    No offense, but if he was pre-selling properly, he would have to make the post he did.

    Brent called it. There's a disconnect in there somewhere. People are engaging with your content, but to get 554 visits and only 2 clicks and 1 subscriber means you're either doing something wrong, or you're on one heck of a losing streak (which is a statistical possibility, but not very probable).

    Without actually seeing your content, all I can do is guess at it, so take what follows with a grain or more of salt.

    The first thing to look at is your calls to action. Are you asking/telling people to take the next step (click to the vendor page)? Or are you relying on passive links or banners?

    If you're relying on pure reviews, are you targeting people looking to buy? Or people much earlier in the buying cycle?

    As far as subscribers are concerned, the biggest issue I see with people starting out is a faulty value proposition. What value are you offering people in return for their email address? What benefit do they get, what problem do you solve or what benefit do you deliver? In short, how will subscribing make their lives better?

    The days when people would subscribe just to get updates or a newsletter are dead and gone. The thrill of hearing "you've got mail!" is gone. You offer email updates or a newsletter, and people who don't yet know you see "more email".

    Whether it's funneling clicks to a vendor or collecting subscribers, look at the whole process. It sounds like you went to a lot of effort to lock down the technical side of your site. Now apply the same effort to your content to make taking the next step as easy and natural as possible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10871593].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post



      The days when people would subscribe just to get updates or a newsletter are dead and gone. The thrill of hearing "you've got mail!" is gone. You offer email updates or a newsletter, and people who don't yet know you see "more email".

      .
      Yes John I agree. But fwiw sometimes when I offer my E-courses as a "Magnet" I will refer to it on occasions as a Newsletter. And it still has Value with it. But on top of it I will offer a E-book to up the Value Proposition.

      I think Paul is probably one of the few Marketers who still gets incredible response for his newsletter ( Talkbiz). Of course it's been around for over 20 years and has been publicly known for it's track record of Value for such a long time ...he doesn't need to offer anything else.

      An exception.


      - Robert Andrew
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10872216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rollingsolo
      Hi JohnMcCabe and everyone! I started this thread a while back and have since put the site down to begin an internet business with a long time friend who's a marketing guru. I don't talk to him much about my side projects like my amazon affiliate site.

      But I wanted to share that I was able to get 1 sale with 6 link clicks. I haven't been doing much to the site besides sharing it on my social media networks like (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook) page that I setup for it. If you would like to check out the site you can do so here... www.campbikehike.com.

      I have no plans on selling this site at all. In fact after making my first sale I'd like to upscale it. I've only had it for a little less than a year now so I think it has potential. I'm an outdoorsman so I wrote all the content myself and created all the images and videos as well.

      I would really like to make more sales off it because I believe that I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also... I updated the site for this spring season today and also put out a $5.00 a day Facebook advert for testing that will run for 5 days.

      Cheers!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11050020].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author enginethemes
    In my view, don't buy advertising and you need to focus on researching your visitors, what the audience are looking for, developing a strong content and SEO, and considering whether or not your current marketing strategy is effective.
    Signature
    EngineThemes - Premium WordPress Themes and Plugin for Business Owners and Developers.
    Earn 35% Commission Per Sale. Join Our Affiliate Program Now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10872022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cesar Sampaio
    If you never had a Bing/Google adwords account before you can start one with an ad credits coupon to start your advertising. But if you are just starting I can't recommend that.

    If you can't get traffic for free you won't know how to do it the paid way as well

    Use this very forum to study SEO and keyword research. Learn what motivates your target demographic, what they really want.

    Is your niche really good? People do actually want to buy what you are selling in numbers that will be profitable to you?

    After these steps, produce more targeted content, try guest blogging, use free properties like Blogger to spread quality content related to your niche.

    When you learn what people want and how and why they are visiting your site you will have enough knowledge and experience to start meddling with PPC.
    Signature
    A Step-By-Step Guide! Do Just This One Thing And Finally Make Money As An Amazon Affiliate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10872241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SamNuku
    Bud, build your email list. Offer inside information for what you're doing for subscribers only.

    You're giving everything out there by the sounds of it. Chances are they're buying the products but not from you.

    I mean why else would they be watching review videos right?

    Then, email them on a daily basis. Building your relationship with them. Then sell them perhaps once a week on whatever product you're recommending.

    End of the day people buy from those they know like & trust. thats why email marketing is all 6 7 & 8 figure earners earn 80% of their money from.

    The rest of us need to adhere to that success
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10872267].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by discrat View Post

    Yes John I agree. But fwiw sometimes when I offer my E-courses as a "Magnet" I will refer to it on occasions as a Newsletter. And it still has Value with it. But on top of it I will offer a E-book to up the Value Proposition.
    And I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that you go well beyond the basic, upper-right-corner "sign up for our free newsletter" box.

    Real newsletters can still be effective, but you have to tempt people into wanting to try it. One of the next tests I plan is a free trial for a free newsletter. Instead of asking people to sign up for a never-ending stream of email, I'm going to ask them to try it for a month - four issues. When they sign up for that, they'll know that if they don't find enough value to "renew their subscription", I won't keep hammering them. A form of risk-reversal, if you will.

    Originally Posted by discrat View Post

    I think Paul is probably one of the few Marketers who still gets incredible response for his newsletter ( Talkbiz). Of course it's been around for over 20 years and has been publicly known for it's track record of Value for such a long time ...he doesn't need to offer anything else.

    An exception.


    - Robert Andrew
    Paul is an exception to the rule on a lot of things. One thing he does is use his opt-in process to sort people out. The opt-in page is several thousand words, and the 'freebie' is a 105 page ebook (which every newbie should read). If they don't like the long form 'sales' page for Talkbiz News, they ain't a gonna like the newsletter, either.

    I've been a subscriber of Paul's for most of those 20+ years.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10872274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ellen Chedid
    I had the same problem when i first got into affiliate marketing. I found it really hard, i though i was doing everything right but nothing was working. Paid Facebook advertising will definitely help you make more money. Just a little bit of money can go a long way. with paid Facebook advertising, you have many more options and you can really target your audience and reach an audience outside your circle of friends. feel free to read my blog if you like for more details about how to advertise on Facebook.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10876505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tomako
    For amazon websites, the best traffic is from search engines. Think about a person about to make a decision, with his credit card on desk, but has some last questions about the product. If you answer that question on your website(usually very easy to rank for because it is a long tail phrase ) you will get your commission.

    By the way, I don't know why people are not happy with amazon's fee. I get as much as $400 from a single item. Also, you get a commission for all the items in the cart, i.e you refer a camping knife but if the person also buys a barbecue, a tent, and an iphone7, you get a commission for all of them.


    So I think, try to catch organic traffic with long tail keywords, spend your money on content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10876572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amuro
    Originally Posted by rollingsolo View Post

    Hey all,

    I've started affiliate marketing about 5 months ago. I have a site up in the outdoors niche similar to REI, EMS, etc. I post rich content, have a YouTube channel where I actually make infield video review for the products that I sell from Amazon and actually own and use. I have a Facebook Page, Instagram, and Twitter account which is updated regularly, especially my Instagram account. I get likes, followers but no sales.

    I'm not exactly sure what I am doing wrong. I just switched over to a VPS SSD server to speed my site up for my users experience. It's really fast. I don't expect to see returns overnight but I would at least want to see some sales or clicks to Amazon for what I am doing.

    In terms of Advertising these are the mediums that I use... Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram for the Image of the product that I actually own and my YouTube channel as well. I would love to get some tips or feedback on how I can gain more views, clicks and turn that into actual sales. Users can also buy from my website and when added to the cart becomes an Amazon checkout. I set it up very fluid and clean and the site is awesome I think.

    Should I be doing paid advertising for the products I am trying to sell off Amazon even though I'm not getting paid? Should I be running (Facebook ad's, Adwords, etc?) All help will be greatly appreciated.


    Hi RollingSolo,

    Can I just ask you 3 questions?

    1. Who is your target audience?

    2. Have you connected with them?

    3. If so do you know their needs and wants?

    The reason why I am asking those questions is because sales and marketing is NOT just about selling things to make money.

    Or putting a site and content based on what you think and assume is best?

    It is about connecting with people, understand their needs and wants before coming up with a product that best caters to them.

    It is that simple.

    Then people will be more interested to look at your offer and paid you so that you made $.

    You might not ask the way I am asking.

    But someone once asked me at offline event those 3 questions when I told him I want to try Facebook advertising since I could not achieve consistent results from free methods.

    MOST - I am not talking about all - Marketers Only Want To Make $ For Themselves And Their Families.

    Without taking into consideration as to what people need and want.

    Or even connecting with them.

    That is why people get sick and tired of seeing those ads and email offers in their Inbox before deleting them.

    Unless they come from marketers they LIKED and TRUSTED.

    The question you should be asking as the 4th -

    Is what does it take for me to be that person in order to get them to buy my stuff and even better, recommend their families and friends to do the same?

    So that I can make money now and more consistently.

    That is what marketing is all about.

    It is about helping people with their needs and wants by offering your products and services as solutions .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11050075].message }}

Trending Topics