Do you make decisions by using Your Brain or Your Gut?

33 replies
Do you share the same thought or feeling? We actually have two brains instead of one. The other one is the emotional one. My premise is quite simple. If there's a "traditional" IQ and a phenomenon we describe as the emotional intelligence, then our gut counts as a legitimate decision-making tool. Am I right about this one?

Sometimes, I just don't how I decided what I decided. I just know. Or, maybe it's better to say I feel what needs to be done. Maybe, we are destined to have the Congress situation in our body regarding the decisions we made. You have the Senate and the House of Representatives, your brain and your gut.

Now, do you have to have a vote when reaching an important decision? Does your "Congress" have to have the unanimous vote of both heart and mind for you to reach the right decision? What if there's a conflict? Very often my mind is telling me to do one thing, while I feel it in my guts, I should do the opposite.

What's your situation? Do you combine, or maybe give a strong advantage to your brain or gut as the main decision-making tool?

Thx in advance.
TT
#brain #decisions #gut #make
  • Profile picture of the author Woomeister
    True entrepreneurs do both. If you are too 'sensible' and measured you will never take a risk at all, no risk=no reward. Just make sure you manage the ratio!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917631].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      A little bit of both sounds like the best possible choice. Yet, sometimes I'm caught in the crossfire and I don't know what to do. There's this Blaise Pascal quote that sounds so lovely in French, lol.

      "The heart has its reasons which reason knows not."

      Also, I like to say, you have to have a heart big enough to feel something, but you also have to have a brain big enough to understand what you just felt, lol. Something like that.

      Thx
      TT
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
    bit of both but I have been in this game far too long so I know what to do to get the results I want
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luke Dennison
    As mentioned, most of the time you should use both.

    Sometimes though, I've had a gut feeling that something was going to be great even though my brain was telling me NO!

    So I occasionally take risks on things just to see if my gut can still be trusted
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917650].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by Luke Dennison View Post

      As mentioned, most of the time you should use both.

      Sometimes though, I've had a gut feeling that something was going to be great even though my brain was telling me NO!

      So I occasionally take risks on things just to see if my gut can still be trusted
      ...then I hear this voice in my head: I told you that you can't trust your gut, lol.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fastlanesamurai
    Your gut feeling is much deeper than you think. It's based on insights gained from past experiences and observations.

    It's been said that your unconscious mind is 100x powerful. I think that's one of the reasons why you can't explain gut feelings with logic.

    Our gut instincts are also a survival mechanism. It's something we have primarily relied on for our survival since the stone age.

    My advice to you is to gather all the data you can before you make a decision. Then, go with your gut instincts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by fastlanesamurai View Post

      Your gut feeling is much deeper than you think. It's based on insights gained from past experiences and observations.

      It's been said that your unconscious mind is 100x powerful. I think that's one of the reasons why you can't explain gut feelings with logic.

      Our gut instincts are also a survival mechanism. It's something we have primarily relied on for our survival since the stone age.

      My advice to you is to gather all the data you can before you make a decision. Then, go with your gut instincts.
      Great stuff. I totally support the point about our survival instincts. So, it's like a giant computer in fact. It's about data processing. You have to be careful about the info you're feeding your machine with, lol.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917716].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author fastlanesamurai
        Originally Posted by technotronic View Post

        You have to be careful about the info you're feeding your machine with, lol.
        Quite the contrary. Get as much experience as you can.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917825].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    To quote a famous talk show host. "Intelligence guided by experience"

    al
    Signature
    The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Junaid khawaja
    "All buying decisions should be made with GUT." said Robert Cialdiani in his famous book "influence."

    And I largely agree with him.

    In an era of manipulative marketing, where there is psychology principles behind every cold call we receive and every ad we see - our gut is our best honest friend.

    It must be listened to. And sometimes, that's the very secret of all the "quick-decision-makers." They listen to their Gut because they know it can't be fooled..


    Nice question btw.

    Junaid
    Signature

    I am conducting 5 FREE copy consultations till New Year...Jump onto my bandwagon while you still can..

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917733].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by Junaid khawaja View Post

      "All buying decisions should be made with GUT." said Robert Cialdiani in his famous book "influence."

      And I largely agree with him.

      In an era of manipulative marketing, where there is psychology principles behind every cold call we receive and every ad we see - our gut is our best honest friend.

      It must be listened to. And sometimes, that's the very secret of all the "quick-decision-makers." They listen to their Gut because they know it can't be fooled..


      Nice question btw.

      Junaid
      Seems that this book is definitely worth checking out. I also like the term you used the "manipulative marketing." Sometimes, you just need to close your eyes and open your heart when you are listening to someone offering or selling you something. In a sec you figure out what you have to do. Thx. TT
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917752].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    For me, that "gut" feeling is basically intuitive emotions that enables me to implement some sort of decision making backed by past experiences and being able to draw on that experience almost in a sub conscious manner


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10917939].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sage Lewis
    I run my businesses with my wife. I'm "gut". She's "Brain".

    I come up with an idea and then flush it out with her.
    Signature

    The SageRock Institute Online Marketing Institute Learning Library is now totally free.
    http://institute.sagerock.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918017].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by Sage Lewis View Post

      I run my businesses with my wife. I'm "gut". She's "Brain".

      I come up with an idea and then flush it out with her.
      This is a surprise, thought you'll be the one to defend and represent the rational side, lol.

      Either way, our wives are sometimes not always, lol, the best business advisors we could possibly wish for, lol.

      Thx,
      TT
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davejarvys
    Op you should read thinking fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918037].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AussieCoz
    Hi TT,

    To be honest my brain will usually win out in most cases however it is my gut that will influence it.

    It's something that if I don't listen to I will usually regret it.

    When I speak with new clients and chat about what they need done I will be able to tell within a few minutes if they are a good fit for me and this is from my gut feeling.

    I use it for business and personal decisions and I think it's part of your emotional instinct to know when there is danger and when something is ok.. call it an animal instinct the way that animals can sense fear
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918183].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by AussieCoz View Post

      When I speak with new clients and chat about what they need done I will be able to tell within a few minutes if they are a good fit for me and this is from my gut feeling.

      I use it for business and personal decisions and I think it's part of your emotional instinct to know when there is danger and when something is ok.. call it an animal instinct the way that animals can sense fear
      That's a priceless skill. I envy you, lol. Cheers!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918275].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VidasVegas
    Always listen your gut but don't forget take your brain with you
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PPG19
    "Your guts are a barometer of risk. Not an emotion, are an index of risk." by somebody famous (can't remember ). Having said that i do believe that using your brain and research is more important than your gut.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918304].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by PPG19 View Post

      "Your guts are a barometer of risk. Not an emotion, are an index of risk." by somebody famous (can't remember ). Having said that i do believe that using your brain and research is more important than your gut.
      Don't you just love it - "the barometer of risk," lol. Your advice. Brain + research = success. Thx.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918831].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AMarketingKing
    I used a bit of both, however when it comes to purchasing - I use my mind. When it comes to launching a new project/product - I use my gut.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918305].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by AMarketingKing View Post

      I used a bit of both, however when it comes to purchasing - I use my mind. When it comes to launching a new project/product - I use my gut.
      Ah, this is great. Your own "division of labor," lol. It makes a perfect sense, though. Appreciated. TT
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alldigitalbiz
    Hi TT
    I use my brain to make an important decision but my gut is important to have that important decision on track. I dont know if this makes sense, but both things are escencial to succeed. Brain and Guts work together to put it in some way. If your brain says no RUN AWAY, same with your guts.
    Regards
    Andres
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918506].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by alldigitalbiz View Post

      Hi TT
      I use my brain to make an important decision but my gut is important to have that important decision on track. I dont know if this makes sense, but both things are escencial to succeed. Brain and Guts work together to put it in some way. If your brain says no RUN AWAY, same with your guts.
      Regards
      Andres
      It actually makes a perfect sense to me. The tricky part is to make these two work as one not against each other. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve this mission impossible, lol. Thx.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918838].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    i make decisions based on site data and surveys


    i make an effort to ignore my 'gut' instincts for my IM business


    then again, i have to put forth effort into NOT listening to my gut


    -Ike Paz
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918530].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by aizaku View Post

      i make decisions based on site data and surveys


      i make an effort to ignore my 'gut' instincts for my IM business


      then again, i have to put forth effort into NOT listening to my gut


      -Ike Paz
      That was an honest answer. Appreciated.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918841].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by aizaku View Post

      i make decisions based on site data and surveys


      i make an effort to ignore my 'gut' instincts for my IM business


      then again, i have to put forth effort into NOT listening to my gut


      -Ike Paz

      Me too. Especially me when my wife buys me a brand new expensive pair of "tight" jeans
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918994].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unlimitedoptions
    Hi Technotronic:

    At the end of the day you have to decide what best fits your business style. I think you should primarily depend on numbers, meaning make a decision based on how well you think the outcome will be for your business. Try your best to "run the numbers" before making a decision and see which course of action is likely to produce the best results for you. Most business owners make decisions based on ROI= return on investment. If you pay $100 for an ad will it generate $100 or more in sales. If it generates over $100 in revenue then in theory you made money. If it's a digital product you made money if it's a physical product then you have to factor in how much you paid for the product, and shipping costs.
    Your gut can have a say in it, but try to use good judgement with your gut.

    Good Luck,

    Dan
    Signature
    Exactly What I am Doing to Easily Build Consistent Recurring Income.
    WATCH FREE VIDEO HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918557].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by unlimitedoptions View Post

      Hi Technotronic:

      At the end of the day you have to decide what best fits your business style. I think you should primarily depend on numbers, meaning make a decision based on how well you think the outcome will be for your business. Try your best to "run the numbers" before making a decision and see which course of action is likely to produce the best results for you. Most business owners make decisions based on ROI= return on investment. If you pay $100 for an ad will it generate $100 or more in sales. If it generates over $100 in revenue then in theory you made money. If it's a digital product you made money if it's a physical product then you have to factor in how much you paid for the product, and shipping costs.
      Your gut can have a say in it, but try to use good judgement with your gut.

      Good Luck,

      Dan
      Agree. I mean I have no other choice than to agree. It all comes to the Benjamins, doesn't it? My gut becomes pretty much sensitive when I get close to the lucrative opportunity, lol. That's a fact of our life. Great point. Appreciated.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10918846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author customerblast
    Definitely use both your brain and your insticts/intuition they need to work in unity as a team
    Signature
    Free Instagram PVA Accounts - PM me if you would like some free samples!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10920059].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author technotronic
      Originally Posted by customerblast View Post

      Definitely use both your brain and your insticts/intuition they need to work in unity as a team
      Just need to find a way to achieve that. Thx.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10922870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    I generally throw a dart at something...
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10923158].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Djwillster123
    I would have to say I use my gut in the internet marketing world
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10924734].message }}

Trending Topics