Question about Alibaba

by E B
21 replies
I was trying to use Alibaba to get parts for computer build. I already sent out some inquires. I sent out computer part # with model # and description to a few people who contacted me. I have received some responses with list prices. Is it safe to order. I've seen crazy sick prices on a lot of things. Is it safe? How do you know who is legit?

I know Alibaba is for bulk and people starting business, I've ordered a single SSD before and I received it perfectly with exactly same model# and everything. If its safe I plan on ordering more than I want so I can sell some on eBay & Amazon. If all goes well I want to continue ordering.
#alibaba #question
  • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
    Banned
    Originally Posted by E B View Post

    I was trying to use Alibaba to get parts for computer build. I already sent out some inquires. I sent out computer part # with model # and description to a few people who contacted me. I have received some responses with list prices. Is it safe to order. I've seen crazy sick prices on a lot of things. Is it safe? How do you know who is legit?

    I know Alibaba is for bulk and people starting business, I've ordered a single SSD before and I received it perfectly with exactly same model# and everything. If its safe I plan on ordering more than I want so I can sell some on eBay & Amazon. If all goes well I want to continue ordering.
    Questions no one can answer. If I tell you it's safe and you get ripped-off, then what? Do I owe you money?

    Someone else's experience in this regard is meaningless. It's pot luck.

    Frank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11002578].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E B
      Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

      Questions no one can answer. If I tell you it's safe and you get ripped-off, then what? Do I owe you money?

      Someone else's experience in this regard is meaningless. It's pot luck.

      Frank
      How do I know which people are good? Isn't there like a gold star or something? I see a bunch of tiny images on most people I just don't know what they stand for
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11002580].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DogScout
    I have used them and a few other similar services. There is an escrow option that holds your money until you receive the order and sign off on it. It has been my limited experience that I have never had any issue on some several hundred transactions, about half with Alibaba. I stopped using escrow after the 1st few transactions which saves a small amount in fees for them, and again, never any issue at all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11002585].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E B
      Originally Posted by DogScout View Post

      I have used them and a few other similar services. There is an escrow option that holds your money until you receive the order and sign off on it. It has been my limited experience that I have never had any issue on some several hundred transactions, about half with Alibaba. I stopped using escrow after the 1st few transactions which saves a small amount in fees for them, and again, never any issue at all.
      Was any of your transactions for name brand items?
      Thanks for the info!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11002592].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Importexport
        Originally Posted by E B View Post

        Was any of your transactions for name brand items?
        Thanks for the info!
        First - don't try to import big brand name products. It's illegal, and you risk having the goods confiscated. There will often be fines also, and if the brand owner becomes aware of it, you could be sued. There are other consequence too. Ask if you want more details.

        Your main question about risk of dealing with suppliers has been answered here: How Trustworthy is Alibaba.com? Basically, you need to know more about the Alibaba system before you spend your money.

        There's no "Escrow". It's called Buyer Protection, and the protection it offers is not all it appears.

        Gold Suppliers are no more trustworthy than any others. They just buy the Gold Supplier badge.

        If you have more questions check out: Ask Me Anything About Product Sourcing And Importing For Profit. ― Veteran Importer Here. If you don't find the answers there you can ask your question and I will answer. I have a lifetime of experience in shipping, exporting, and importing.

        Walter Hay
        Provenchinasourcing
        Signature
        Use emotions and perceptions to build a great brand. Ask me about my book LabelsThatExploit. For safe sourcing and easy importing from 41 countries globally, see https://provenglobalsourcing.com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11002754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    You can find several websites/articles that detail what those "tiny images" mean with a google search...One I found quickly was

    Alibaba SCAM Exposed! Tips & Tricks for 2017!

    Which shows lists of images and certificates you might find.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

    I wish offended people would react like fainting goats and quietly tip over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11002586].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DexterGallagher
    you can search for companies who offers samples, but you pay shipping. That is what I did and I buy daily now.
    Signature

    We offer mobile optimized websites at http://mobilewebsitecreationltd.co.uk/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11002591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fenice Leonhart
    I think they have a badge for showing the company established years. The longer the better of course.

    I used to order 10-50 in a bulk when I was in eBay dropshipping business for fun.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11002839].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Importexport
      Originally Posted by Fenice Leonhart View Post

      I think they have a badge for showing the company established years. The longer the better of course.

      I used to order 10-50 in a bulk when I was in eBay dropshipping business for fun.
      The Gold Supplier badge you are referring to doesn't show how long they have been established. It shows how long they have been willing to pay for a badge that is intended to give the impression that they are reliable and trustworthy.

      See post #8 above.

      Walter Hay
      Provenchinasourcing
      Signature
      Use emotions and perceptions to build a great brand. Ask me about my book LabelsThatExploit. For safe sourcing and easy importing from 41 countries globally, see https://provenglobalsourcing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11004416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hustler99
    I would suggest calling them up regularly to check if they answer their phones. Usually, Chinese scammers wouldn't be committed to answering 24/7(due to lack of knowledge and English). Whereas a salesman would know the product specs at 10pm. Use Rebtel, they've good rates to China.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11003048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    You might want to look for the same items on aliexpress. You can buy smaller quantities and most of the time they have free shipping

    al
    Signature
    The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11003113].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sterlingmoss
    Aliexpress. This site is like alibaba, same products. But instead of bulk it's ment for single purchases.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11003377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author haiuae
    Keep one thing in mind if you are buying from that platform that the suppllier should have gold membership with very good reviews.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11004012].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Importexport
      Originally Posted by haiuae View Post

      Keep one thing in mind if you are buying from that platform that the suppllier should have gold membership with very good reviews.
      A Gold Supplier badge is absolutely no guarantee of reliability or trustworthiness. It just shows that the supplier is willing to pay for a Gold badge that makes people think they are more trustworthy. Thousands of people have been scammed by gold suppliers.

      Alibaba now have banned non-Gold members from receiving any sales inquiries through their system. As a result you will find many categories where the first 100 or so pages of a search are all Gold Suppliers, so what is the difference between one supplier and another?

      To find that difference you need to do a very thorough search and it helps if you know what you are doing to start with. Lesson Number 1: Don't believe what the suppliers say. Check it all for yourself.

      Don't forget that forging of business licenses, compliance certificates, shipping documents, quality assurance certificates, inspection certificates etc is endemic in China.

      The review system is not what you would expect. Bad reviews are rarely published , and if no review is given by the buyer, Alibaba insert a positive review anyway.

      See Post Number 15 above.

      If you want to learn some more about sourcing from China or any other exporting country see: Ask Me Anything About Product Sourcing And Importing For Profit. ― Veteran Importer Here.

      You can ask questions there about safe sourcing and easy importing.
      Walter Hay
      Provenchinasourcing.com
      Signature
      Use emotions and perceptions to build a great brand. Ask me about my book LabelsThatExploit. For safe sourcing and easy importing from 41 countries globally, see https://provenglobalsourcing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11004546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dmp
    General rule: if its too cheap to be true it usually isn't...
    They do sell genuine stuff but they also sell UTTER shit.
    Alibaba and Aliexpress are legit companies as much as Ebay is... but the thing is that the sellers on there might be not.

    Personally I would not buy 99% of the stuff from there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11004029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pauloadaoag
    Administrator
    E B You may also want to ask your question at the eCommerce section here.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11004488].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author missmystery
    I've bought of Alibaba. I'm waiting on a new shipment. Look for the ones who have been around longer than a year.

    I use Aliexpress all the time and have only come into a problem once, and in that case the transaction was stopped before they could scam me.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11004593].message }}
  • Alibaba is safe but the company listed and the product you need and want to re-sell depends on what you really want.

    Buying from alibaba is like taking a pin from huge haystack.
    Signature
    Introducing Click to Call.
    https://www.virtualglobalphone.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11004630].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Importexport
      Originally Posted by virtualglobalphone View Post

      Alibaba is safe but the company listed and the product you need and want to re-sell depends on what you really want.

      Buying from alibaba is like taking a pin from huge haystack.
      Yes, Alibaba is safe, but nobody buys anything from Alibaba. They buy from suppliers listed on Alibaba. Buyers must carefully check to make sure they can see what's real through all the smoke and mirrors.

      Walter Hay
      Provenchinasourcing
      Signature
      Use emotions and perceptions to build a great brand. Ask me about my book LabelsThatExploit. For safe sourcing and easy importing from 41 countries globally, see https://provenglobalsourcing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11004635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rahman Colson
    From my experience, it was great. I had a vapor company years ago and had them manufacture my vapor pens, cartomizers, etc. Sometimes talking on the phone was difficult because of language barriers, but most of the companies are eager to business and have a "english" speaker available. If you feel unsure, just make a small order first and decide after that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11010376].message }}

Trending Topics