Thanks button = Bias (Rant)

111 replies
Don't ever base your opinions, on how many thanks a warrior has. It's obvious that the thank system is heavily favored with bias. There are warriors that make cynical remarks, or say a one line post to be cute and they seem to get a herd of thank youS.

There are other warriors, who contribute all the time and provide information that is helpful and dead accurate and never get thanks because... they may not be as popular as other warriors or liked.

I seen warriors use pics of hot females and get thanks just because of that as well, the thank system is heavily flawed!
#bias #button #rant
  • Profile picture of the author emigre
    Never noticed the thanks button...never used it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1985851].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      It's funny the things people complain about. "Thanks" is subjective. It can mean

      good information
      appreciate the answer
      glad you agreed with me
      very funny
      quick wit
      I agree with you
      thank you for answering my question

      or many other things.

      Some of what you think are cynical remarks may be members who know BS when they see it - and call people on it. And there are probably those who always thank their friends no matter what. Why does it matter?

      One thing you may notice is that those with a high number of "thanks" are often generous in thanking others, too.

      kay
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1985897].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
      He who dies with the most thanks wins!
      Signature
      Screw You, NameCheap!
      $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

      SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986124].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
        Originally Posted by GarrieWilson View Post

        He who dies with the most thanks wins!
        Damn, I hate it when it come down to that...

        Sorry Gary!

        Have a Great Day!
        Michael
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986128].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
        Originally Posted by GarrieWilson View Post

        He who dies with the most thanks wins!
        He who can live happiest with the least thanks is closest to Nirvana.

        Zzzzen, baby!
        Signature

        Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986195].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
        Originally Posted by GarrieWilson View Post

        He who dies with the most thanks wins!

        Oh yeah! I best go make some more sarcastic one-line comments.

        Seems the semi-nude pics of myself on a bearskin rug don't garner enough to put me in the winner's circle.

        Psssst. BTW, anyone Thanking this post will receive not only my gratitude, but a chance to be included in the winner's party I'm throwing when I die.
        Signature
        Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986808].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
          Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

          Psssst. BTW, anyone Thanking this post will receive not only my gratitude, but a chance to be included in the winner's party I'm throwing when I die.
          Do you offer a money-back guarantee? If so, can I get a refund before the party? It seems like it might be kind of hard to contact you after you die.
          Signature

          Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986848].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Martin Avis
            I think the thanks system is just fine the way it is and anyone who feels they don't get enough should just up their game. Same as in most things.

            On the other hand, I would like to see the introduction of an 'Idiot' button. I suspect I might use that a whole lot more often than I do the thanks one.

            Martin
            Signature
            Martin Avis publishes Kickstart Newsletter - Subscribe free at http://kickstartnewsletter.com
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Boy, isn't that the truth! Same thing goes for post counts.
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1985864].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author butters
      Heavily flawed it is (Yoda speak )... It will always play a role on all forums though because to new people it is a sign of how respected that person is at that forum.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1985871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Number of "thanks" also depends on which part of the forum you hang out
    as well. If you're mainly in the main forum mainly, then you'll
    mainly get more 'thanks' than if you're mainly in the minor
    forums--at least that's what I mainly notice.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1985913].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author butters
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      Number of "thanks" also depends on which part of the forum you hang out
      as well. If you're mainly in the main forum mainly, then you'll
      mainly get more 'thanks' than if you're mainly in the minor
      forums--at least that's what I mainly notice.

      -Ray Edwards
      Adding onto that... It also depends on who you are, if you have some sort of "rep" then you will get thanked for some stupid stuff which just bloats the thank's but they deserve .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1985931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CurtisN
    I would argue that post count and the # of thanks are important, but not the be all and end all of determining one's credibility.

    Would you trust someone with 1 post over someone with 10K+?
    Would you trust someone with 10K+ posts who has been thanked 0 times over someone with 10K+ posts who has been thanked 5K+ times?

    It doesn't matter how much you say it doesn't matter...it matters, at least to a certain extent.

    Curtis
    Signature
    Curtis Ng (blog) - Product Launch Manager
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1985987].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by CurtisN View Post

      Would you trust someone with 10K+ posts who has been thanked 0 times...
      Just as a historical side note -- we almost had that exact situation.

      Steve (seasoned) had a boatload of posts -- pushing 10,000 -- before the forum software changed over and we got the "thanks" button. Due to personal reasons, he disappeared from the forum for a while.

      When he came back, he had thousands of posts... and not one thanks. I'm sure he looked like the most unhelpful person on the planet, especially to those who didn't realize some long-time members racked up thousands of posts before a "thanks" button even existed.

      Cheers,
      Becky
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
    Kay, I had to do it(Your Welcome!)...lol
    Originally Posted by Daniel Brock View Post

    Who cares?

    At the end of the day, 500 thank you points = $0.
    Hi Daniel,
    That's not always true. In some instances just a few Thanks can lead to sales in the right situations/topics.

    Been there and received that before.

    Have a Great Day!
    Michael
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1985989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    The thanks button is an optional courtesy, nothing more. I wouldn't call it a system. It does help keep threads from being filled up with posts that say nothing more than.......thanks. I think most would agree the forum is better because of it, if for no other reason than its less scrolling because their aren't 15 posts that say nothing more than "thanks" in a thread.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986036].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MrYossu
      Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

      Don't ever base your opinions, on how many thanks a warrior has. It's obvious that the thank system is heavily favored with bias. There are warriors that make cynical remarks, or say a one line post to be cute and they seem to get a herd of thank youS.

      There are other warriors, who contribute all the time and provide information that is helpful and dead accurate and never get thanks because... they may not be as popular as other warriors or liked.

      I seen warriors use pics of hot females and get thanks just because of that as well, the thank system is heavily flawed!
      The "system" isn't biased, because no-one is subverting it. Maybe you feel it isn't being used as well as it might, but that's not the same thing as saying the system itself is biased.

      Anyway, what's wrong with it? Thanking someone for helping you is a very valuable and sadly lacking part of human interaction. What does it cost? Nothing. What does it benefit? Well, it makes the thanked person (thankee?) feel good, and it does actually show others what the person is helpful, even if the help was brightening their day with a hot pic.

      By the way, have you really seen anyone thanked for that? I haven't. I've only ever seen people thanked for, well, useful posts. Maybe I don't get out enough

      Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

      It does help keep threads from being filled up with posts that say nothing more than.......thanks. I think most would agree the forum is better because of it, if for no other reason than its less scrolling because their aren't 15 posts that say nothing more than "thanks" in a thread.
      I wish this were true. Sadly, the forum is still full of "thanks" posts, although thankfully, not as many as there used to be.

      I would like to encourage the use of the thanks button. I'm childish enough to be slightly chuffed when anyone thanks me, and polite enough to thank anyone who I feel has been helpful.

      Originally Posted by Daniel Brock View Post

      Who cares?

      At the end of the day, 500 thank you points = $0.
      No, 500 thank you points = 500 times feeling good that you've helped someone. Kind of gives encouragement to do it again. This forum is (supposedly) about helping each other out. Thanks is such a simple way to let people know they helped.

      Originally Posted by Diana Lane View Post

      The forum software could even be programmed to highlight those who have been 'trusted' in this fashion by scanning posts for phrases like 'I really lurve you all, you're my besht mates...' or 'Oi! Get yer coat off - we're sortin' this outside - NOW!', with extra points added for an obvious inability to type a sentence in a straight line.
      That's hysterical! I even clicked the thanks button to show my appreciation, thus boosting your thanks count even more, and making the system even more corrupt and disgracefully misleading than it already is

      Ta ra
      Alan
      Signature

      Turbocharge your backlinks with RSS Autopilot!
      Special Warrior Offer - Massive discount off the regular fee, and a 50% bigger site allocation!
      Try it now -> www.rssautopilot.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988192].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
        How about looking at the number of thanks in a different way?

        For example, 200 thanks in 150 posts means that person has contributed something to this forum on a regular basis that touched 200 people (or 1 person 200 times, if you want to be cynical ).

        Isn't that what forums are about?

        Martin
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988328].message }}
      • Originally Posted by MrYossu View Post

        The "system" isn't biased, because no-one is subverting it. Maybe you feel it isn't being used as well as it might, but that's not the same thing as saying the system itself is biased.

        Anyway, what's wrong with it? Thanking someone for helping you is a very valuable and sadly lacking part of human interaction. What does it cost? Nothing. What does it benefit? Well, it makes the thanked person (thankee?) feel good, and it does actually show others what the person is helpful, even if the help was brightening their day with a hot pic.

        By the way, have you really seen anyone thanked for that? I haven't. I've only ever seen people thanked for, well, useful posts. Maybe I don't get out enough


        I wish this were true. Sadly, the forum is still full of "thanks" posts, although thankfully, not as many as there used to be.

        I would like to encourage the use of the thanks button. I'm childish enough to be slightly chuffed when anyone thanks me, and polite enough to thank anyone who I feel has been helpful.


        No, 500 thank you points = 500 times feeling good that you've helped someone. Kind of gives encouragement to do it again. This forum is (supposedly) about helping each other out. Thanks is such a simple way to let people know they helped.


        That's hysterical! I even clicked the thanks button to show my appreciation, thus boosting your thanks count even more, and making the system even more corrupt and disgracefully misleading than it already is

        Ta ra
        Alan
        I have no idea what he said. It was just way too long to read. But I figured if he took the time to write that many words, it must be good. So, a Thanks was in order.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1992836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojojuju
    Magic Mel, I clicked the "Thanks" button under your post just for the hell of it.
    Signature

    :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986095].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986126].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
      Originally Posted by Ron Douglas View Post

      We need a 'No Thanks' button haha.
      So a set of Good post Bad Post buttons is what we need?
      Wouldn't work either. Still would be biased and manipulated by others.

      There is really no good way to do it other than charging people for their choices and even then only the strong would survive.

      Have a Great Day!
      Michael

      PS. Ron, We tried the Dollywood "Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookies" Tonight and the Grand Children + my Wife and I Loved them!
      Thanks! ~MM
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986151].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jaz
        I like ice cream. I'm glad to help out and I hope I don't get thanked for it.
        Signature

        Looking to make my first million by the time I retire.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986192].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
      Originally Posted by Ron Douglas View Post

      We need a 'No Thanks' button haha.
      I suggested a "Sarcastic Thanks" button a while back.
      Signature

      Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

      Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986203].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TonyDavis
      Originally Posted by Ron Douglas View Post

      We need a 'No Thanks' button haha.
      Options for a button to accompany the 'Thanks' button:

      Bah!
      Who Cares?
      You're Crazy!
      WTF?
      Insane!

      and my personal favorite....

      I'm telling Allen!


      There's plenty of room down there for a few buttons....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988520].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TonyDavis
        Oh... and my first Thanks is for sell.... to the highest bidder!

        Tony
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988524].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          To give you all an idea of how totally meaningless the thank you button
          is, all one has to do is look to the left of this reply.

          If that doesn't do it for you...NOTHING will.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988542].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by Ron Douglas View Post

      We need a 'No Thanks' button haha.
      We already have it. Its in our browsers as the back button. Comes in very handy in the WSO section. Has got me out of scam offers on many occassion.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Emily Meeks
    Just thanked three people in this thread because they made great points that I agree with.

    As others have said, it keeps threads from being filled up with cluttering "thanks" posts. Now, instead of some clique-cult you-thank-me-I-thank-you thing going, here's a revolutionary idea... it's a USEFUL post?

    Think of Steven Wagenheim for instance... I mention him because the guy has 14K posts (not counting his OT posts) which is pretty much more than anyone else on the forum, and they're not a bunch of two-three liners - more like two-three paragraphs of opinions/information people find useful. We've never gone out for drinks, but I've thanked him a bunch because I agree with him or he writes something that makes me think, "Hmmm, I haven't thought about it that way before - you have a GREAT point there..."

    Even if you're not so well-known, I'll still hit the Thanks button for you if your post was useful to me in some way (and do so quite often). I don't consider how long someone's been at the forum into account to determine whether or not they're worthy of "Thanks".
    Signature

    In all that you do, know your True INTENT...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Wright
    A man held the door on the subway for me today, I said thanks. The clerk at the store Thanked me and I thanked her for thanking me. The receipt from the store said thank you at the bottom. I bought my wife a bag of sunflower seeds and she said thanks. A man on the train today stepped on a ladies foot and she said very angryly, "THANKS A LOT." I lost count on the number of thank you/s I said or heard today. The world is having a thank you conspiracy I tell you.

    Thank you very much,

    George Wright
    Signature
    "The first chapter sells the book; the last chapter sells the next book." Mickey Spillane
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986239].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hanz
      Originally Posted by George Wright View Post

      A man held the door on the subway for me today, I said thanks. The clerk at the store Thanked me and I thanked her for thanking me. The receipt from the store said thank you at the bottom. I bought my wife a bag of sunflower seeds and she said thanks. A man on the train today stepped on a ladies foot and she said very angryly, "THANKS A LOT." I lost count on the number of thank you/s I said or heard today. The world is having a thank you conspiracy I tell you.

      Thank you very much,

      George Wright
      LOL! Thanks for that great post!
      Signature
      All The Hottest eBooks, Graphics, Software, Videos, Audios, SEO Reports & Articles You Want with PLR ~ New Products Added Daily in Super Hot Niches! ~ Sign Up to PLR Assassin Today
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986303].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
        I guess this isn't a good time to bring up having a possible "You're welcome" button.....

        RoD "Coffee-Made-Me-Do-It!" Cortez
        Signature
        "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
        - Jim Rohn
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986322].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
    Mel,
    There are other warriors, who contribute all the time and provide information that is helpful and dead accurate and never get thanks because... they may not be as popular as other warriors or liked.
    That's reality. It's just as true offline as on. What do you suggest we do about it?


    Paul
    Signature
    .
    Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986273].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
      Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

      Mel,That's reality. It's just as true offline as on. What do you suggest we do about it?
      Maybe you should do away with manual thanks and develop a thanks algorithm that will parse the content of a post and automatically award thanks based on an unpublished set of criteria.

      I'm sure no one will try to game that and you'll get absolutely no complaints about such a system. :rolleyes:
      Signature

      Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

      Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986288].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Loren Woirhaye
        Originally Posted by Dan C. Rinnert View Post

        Maybe you should do away with manual thanks and develop a thanks algorithm that will parse the content of a post and automatically award thanks based on an unpublished set of criteria.

        I'm sure no one will try to game that and you'll get absolutely no complaints about such a system. :rolleyes:
        This is truly the most logical solution. With today's technology it should
        be simple to eliminate human bias so we know once and for all who is
        trustworthy and who is not.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986298].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author halfpoint
          What difference does it make why people use the thanks button? You shouldn't be basing your opinion on a person based on the number of thanks they have, you should base it on the content of their posts.

          If I start a thread asking a question I'll generally "thank" everyone who contributed positively to the thread. However, most of the time I use the thanks button it's simply for when I agree with someone.

          It's just there to show your gratitude to the poster for any reason - nothing more.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986549].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Warrior Markets
        Originally Posted by Dan C. Rinnert View Post

        Maybe you should do away with manual thanks and develop a thanks algorithm that will parse the content of a post and automatically award thanks based on an unpublished set of criteria.

        I'm sure no one will try to game that and you'll get absolutely no complaints about such a system. :rolleyes:
        This is an Internet Marketing forum: people will start implementing SEO tactics on their posts; build a few backlinks; heck, some will even send PPC traffic to their posts.


        I do, however, agree with Mel's point overall. Too often, you see the same people thanking the same people. But that in itself is not the issue; it's the inconsistency: too many people base their responses based on who said it, as opposed to what was said.
        Signature

        I have nothing of value to add here. But we can't let a signature go to waste now, can we?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990692].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Robert Puddy
      Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post


      There are other warriors, who contribute all the time and provide information that is helpful and dead accurate and never get thanks because... they may not be as popular as other warriors or liked.
      Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

      Mel,That's reality. It's just as true offline as on. What do you suggest we do about it?


      Paul

      Ok hang on... Paul Myers is more popular than me... THAT CANT BE RIGHT

      Damn your right its a conspiracy bigger than watergate, I want the forum tapped and investigated. Call in NCIS and the ghostbusters

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Popstar
    Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

    Don't ever base your opinions, on how many thanks a warrior has. It's obvious that the thank system is heavily favored with bias.
    Very true. But I don't care.

    In one thread that got heated, I thanked people just for replying professionally and without making disparaging remarks (even if I didn't agree with what they were saying).

    There's also a bias in how respectfully or disrespectfully people respond to other warriors' posts. But again, I can't get too worked up about it. That's life.

    Just wondered why it bothers you so much...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

    It's obvious that the thank system is heavily favored with bias.
    Yeah. You can tell from all the thanks a loser like me has, while someone as great as you barely has any. :rolleyes:
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986755].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheMagicShow
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      Yeah. You can tell from all the thanks a loser like me has, while someone as great as you barely has any. :rolleyes:
      Thanks for the chuckle. people like you fit my rant perfectly, keep on getting banned buddy

      Fin.
      Signature

      " You can either give a man a fish and feed him for a day OR teach him how to catch a fish and it will feed him for a lifetime"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987257].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
        Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

        keep on getting banned buddy
        If you are not pissing anyone off, you cannot possibly be saying anything important.
        Signature
        "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988933].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TheMagicShow
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          If you are not pissing anyone off, you cannot possibly be saying anything important.
          It takes you, almost a day to make a statement/comeback. Please don't waste my time, you are just a troll that gets banned on-n-on...
          Signature

          " You can either give a man a fish and feed him for a day OR teach him how to catch a fish and it will feed him for a lifetime"

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1989233].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
            Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

            It takes you, almost a day to make a statement/comeback. Please don't waste my time, you are just a troll that gets banned on-n-on...
            Yeah, because if I wasn't such a troll, I'd have been here having a pissing contest with you at four in the morning. :rolleyes:
            Signature
            "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1989657].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
          Caliban,
          If you are not pissing anyone off, you cannot possibly be saying anything important.
          Maybe. Even if that's true, it's not relevant. The fact that you're pissing someone off doesn't necessarily mean what you're saying is important.

          Being pissed off isn't a reason to ban a member, either. Any aggravation that might be involved is the result of the underlying infraction.


          Paul
          Signature
          .
          Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990232].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
            Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

            The fact that you're pissing someone off doesn't necessarily mean what you're saying is important.
            That's true. It may also mean that the person you're pissing off gets pissed off about unimportant things.
            Signature
            "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990362].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
              Caliban,
              That's true. It may also mean that the person you're pissing off gets pissed off about unimportant things.
              In general, that's also true. Given the context, which was WF mods banning people, I find that unlikely. At least as a reason for banning.

              If we banned people for pissing us off, there'd be no more than a dozen regular posters left.


              Paul.
              Signature
              .
              Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990603].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
                Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

                Given the context, which was WF mods banning people, I find that unlikely.
                It certainly looked to me like all I did was piss someone off. Did I miss something?
                Signature
                "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990686].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
                  It certainly looked to me like all I did was piss someone off. Did I miss something?
                  Yeah.

                  You need to speak with the person (people?) involved to get the details, but... Yeah. You missed something.


                  Paul
                  Signature
                  .
                  Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990829].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
                    Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

                    You need to speak with the person (people?) involved to get the details
                    I should already have them. If I don't, the system has failed.
                    Signature
                    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990855].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
                      I should already have them. If I don't, the system has failed.
                      Or it's intended to work differently than you expect. Or you were told and choose to believe something different. Or you're playing word games. Or you weren't paying attention. Or something else I haven't thought of.


                      Paul
                      Signature
                      .
                      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1991780].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
                        So far, I've picked up 8 Thanks in this thread. Anyone else want to contribute to the "Kevin Riley Quest To Die With The Most Thanks" campaign?
                        Signature
                        Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1991959].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
                          Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

                          So far, I've picked up 8 Thanks in this thread. Anyone else want to contribute to the "Kevin Riley Quest To Die With The Most Thanks" campaign?
                          Anything to help a friend.

                          Tina
                          Signature
                          Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
                          Fast & Easy Content Creation
                          ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1992205].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
                          Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

                          So far, I've picked up 8 Thanks in this thread. Anyone else want to contribute to the "Kevin Riley Quest To Die With The Most Thanks" campaign?
                          You'll have to outlive Steven Wagenheim by about 2,000 years.

                          Martin
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1992234].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
                            Originally Posted by Martin Luxton View Post

                            You'll have to outlive Steven Wagenheim by about 2,000 years.

                            Martin
                            Martin, you left out a zero.......

                            RoD
                            Signature
                            "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
                            - Jim Rohn
                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993153].message }}
                            • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
                              Originally Posted by Rod Cortez View Post

                              Martin, you left out a zero.......

                              RoD
                              If only I could find a way to outlive myself by 2,000 years.

                              I wonder what IM will be like in 4010?

                              Probably all get done via telepathy.
                              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993185].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
                          Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

                          So far, I've picked up 8 Thanks in this thread. Anyone else want to contribute to the "Kevin Riley Quest To Die With The Most Thanks" campaign?
                          Yeah, I thanked you. But I don't feel really good about it. Instead, I feel manipulated. I feel like I'm now a part of the problem -- I'm just another person contributing to the corruption (and perhaps collapse) of the entire "thanks" system.

                          Oh, the humanity.
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1992250].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
                            Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

                            I'm just another person contributing to the corruption (and perhaps collapse) of the entire "thanks" system.
                            Bahahaha...
                            Signature
                            "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1992290].message }}
                            • Profile picture of the author AaronSpinelli
                              Call me crazy, but I don't see the thanks button anywhere. Where exactly is it?
                              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1992727].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author Kella Bella
                          Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

                          So far, I've picked up 8 Thanks in this thread. Anyone else want to contribute to the "Kevin Riley Quest To Die With The Most Thanks" campaign?

                          I contributed! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-lol
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mrs S
    I generally only hit the thanks button if someone says something useful, that teaches me something. I have to say though that I never even look to see how many times someone has been thanked.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986792].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kella Bella
    I agree people shouldn't use the number of thanks as a way to gauge how "honest" or "good" a person is for any reason be it a WSO, etc. That being said, I am a thank you addict and I swear I am looking for a 12 step program. Usually I will thank someone for a compliment, for saying what I would have said and saving me the typing, for giving advice that makes sense to me even if it is to someone else, and I usually make a habit of thanking people who contribute posts to threads that I start.

    This is the first forum I have belonged to that has an un thanks button. That kind of cracks me up. I dunno about a sarcastic button but sometimes I could use a smirking one :-)



    Edited to add: Okay since this thread is about the thank you button I looked over under my name and got all excited cause I saw 61 thanks in 93 posts and while I am not super competitive I was thinking dang good goin Kel. Then it dawned on me those were thank yous that I clicked. So I've been thanked 9 times in 93 posts that's about a 10% click through rate not bad in the world of internet marketing right? lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Louise Green
    You know I've always understood that 'No Politics' rule to mean more than just state/geo-politics
    Signature
    IMPORTANT MESSAGE: I'm currently on vacation & will answer all messages when I return - Happy Holidays!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Just when I thought we had run out of things to bitch about.

      :sigh:

      And please, NOBODY thank me for this reply because it was made out of
      pure disgust.

      Oh, and how does this thread have anything to do with making money?

      :confused::confused::confused:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987485].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Diana Lane
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Just when I thought we had run out of things to bitch about.

        :sigh:

        And please, NOBODY thank me for this reply because it was made out of
        pure disgust.

        Oh, and how does this thread have anything to do with making money?

        :confused::confused::confused:
        The obvious solution would be to reinstate the 'Buy me a beer' button. Money would change hands (making threads like this one at least slightly relevant) and reducing the bitchery due to the amount of people too happily inebriated to care.

        The forum software could even be programmed to highlight those who have been 'trusted' in this fashion by scanning posts for phrases like 'I really lurve you all, you're my besht mates...' or 'Oi! Get yer coat off - we're sortin' this outside - NOW!', with extra points added for an obvious inability to type a sentence in a straight line.

        Some people do seem more susceptible to the influence of 'Thanks' than others, but they should be taken in moderation. They're just records of what somebody once thought was a good idea and they don't show the aftermath, which could well have been a hole in the wallet area and a blinding headache brought on by pitching in at a dodgy party.
        Signature

        Plot short fiction, long fiction, even outline non-fiction * Edit the question prompts to suit your genre * Easily export text and image files for use with your word processor or Scrivener.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987698].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
          Originally Posted by Diana Lane View Post

          ...reducing the bitchery due to the amount of people too happily inebriated to care.

          The forum software could even be programmed to highlight those who have been 'trusted' in this fashion by scanning posts for phrases like 'I really lurve you all, you're my besht mates...' or 'Oi! Get yer coat off - we're sortin' this outside - NOW!', with extra points added for an obvious inability to type a sentence in a straight line.
          Holy crap. That's the first time I've laughed out loud this morning!

          ETA: Thinking about it, though, it's not such a good idea. Wouldn't bringing the beer button back put some people at risk of alcohol poisoning?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jon Tees
    I don't really see it as bias but rather as a way for people to have their names associated with a high traffic posts even if they didn't really contribute to the post. They thank the people who did, simply so that others will see their name under people who have thanked the author, click on their name and view their bios to find out more about them etc. It's sort of like a mild form of attraction marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    Frankly, I think it's a sad state of affairs when someone on a forum
    devoted to people who desire to own businesses earning great sums
    of money finds it necessary to warn these people not to base decisions
    on something as superficial as a thank you button.

    Does the OP really think other members have such low capacity for
    critical thinking? What does that say about them? Or him for that matter?

    Tsnyder
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987505].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Becky made a point I hadn't thought of - the "thanks" button was added abut August or so 2008 when we moved to this forum platform.

      Many long time members had been posting here for years before that.

      Remember "buy me a beer?"

      kay
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987674].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
      Folks, what we need is a "Doh!" button ala Homer Simpson. Even better if it actually makes the same sound effect he does.........

      RoD
      Signature
      "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
      - Jim Rohn
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oscar D
    This is a valid point, thank you
    Signature
    -> FindNewDomains - Domain Finding Service WSO - BONUS: Free Domain Name Included!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
    Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

    Don't ever base your opinions, on how many thanks a warrior has. It's obvious that the thank system is heavily favored with bias. There are warriors that make cynical remarks, or say a one line post to be cute and they seem to get a herd of thank youS.

    There are other warriors, who contribute all the time and provide information that is helpful and dead accurate and never get thanks because... they may not be as popular as other warriors or liked.

    I seen warriors use pics of hot females and get thanks just because of that as well, the thank system is heavily flawed!
    With all due respect, Mel...

    You need to get out more.

    And maybe credit some of us around here... you know, people running our own businesses....with at least enough intelligence to navigate this "thanks" system minefield :rolleyes:

    I give 'thanks' out for a whole variety of reasons, not just content packed posts, some of which Kay mentioned above... And that ain't gonna change as long as the button is there to be used.

    Jay
    Signature

    Bare Murkage.........

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987847].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Here's an idea...

      Let's steal an idea from comedian Bill Engvall. His gimmick is based on the idea that terminally stupid people should be made to wear a sign identifying themselves. When someone says something silly, his tag line is "here's your sign."

      I'm proposing a "here's your sign" button - the anti-thanks button...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987903].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author stevecl
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Here's an idea...

        Let's steal an idea from comedian Bill Engvall. His gimmick is based on the idea that terminally stupid people should be made to wear a sign identifying themselves. When someone says something silly, his tag line is "here's your sign."

        I'm proposing a "here's your sign" button - the anti-thanks button...

        YouTube - Bill Engvall - Here's Your Sign (Video)

        We already have one called an infraction
        Signature

        I started with nothing and still have most of it left!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stevecl
    Thanks Mel
    Signature

    I started with nothing and still have most of it left!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987869].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theemperor
      Okay I'm feeling generous I will thank everyone in this thread :p.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988030].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Merz
      As a long time board owner, admin, moderator, so on and so forth, you have to do what you can to keep folks interested, posting helpful quality content, and coming back for more ... one of the ways to accomplish this is through rewarding peer recognition.

      Is it always 100% reliable? Of course not ... what is?

      Fact of the matter is that the majority of times, members that receive the most 'thanks' are those that have provided solid, reliable content over time ... or they have achieved a level of positive self and or product branding, credibility, and reputation to warrant respect ... even if the one time post that really doesn't offer all that much is showered with 'thank yous', they have earned peer recognition.

      Not getting the same respect? ... keep posting quality content and you'll most likely get there in time.

      Cheers,

      Mike Merz
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2003062].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
    LOL I seriously doubt many of us judge members on how many "thanks" they get. I mean are we a bunch of monkeys or what.

    I use the thanks button to say "thanks" and not waste a reply just thanking the person - thats all, nothing more to it.

    I hope everyone else is the same
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987880].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    I'll be controversial - anyone who makes a decision about a warrior based on thank you numbers is an idiot. You could get a bunch of children all sign up and thank each other....

    It's only important to people who don't have lots and think they're missing out.
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1987883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Floyd Fisher
    Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

    Don't ever base your opinions, on how many thanks a warrior has. It's obvious that the thank system is heavily favored with bias. There are warriors that make cynical remarks, or say a one line post to be cute and they seem to get a herd of thank youS.

    There are other warriors, who contribute all the time and provide information that is helpful and dead accurate and never get thanks because... they may not be as popular as other warriors or liked.

    I seen warriors use pics of hot females and get thanks just because of that as well, the thank system is heavily flawed!
    Why sweat the small stuff like that?

    I personally don't care if I get a thanks, or a beer for that matter. For me, it's all about contributing in a positive manner, and let the chips fall where they may.

    Here's my take on that: Add in two dollars, and you can buy yourself a cup of coffee at the local Starbucks.

    Focus on providing value with each and every post, and get your thanks from 'your morning shaving partiner' instead. When you can look yourself in the eye, and know you did a good job, it's worth far more than the opinions of others.

    That is exactly where your focus should be, not on popularity.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988017].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnHuizinga
    Magic Mel
    Senior Warrior Member
    War Room Member


    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: , , .
    Posts: 3,528
    Blog Entries: 1
    Thanks: 23
    Thanked 72 Times in 51 Posts

    What compells you to give out thanks Mel?

    Personally I've never given someone thanks just because I like them. I only give them out because I like what they said. It might be because it was useful. It might just be because it made me laugh.
    Signature

    "you got to keep fighting, keep believing and never give up in order to succeed"
    Tim Gorman

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988389].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MrYossu
      Originally Posted by JohnHuizinga View Post

      Personally I've never given someone thanks just because I like them. I only give them out because I like what they said. It might be because it was useful. It might just be because it made me laugh.
      Couldn't agree more. I also don't care how many thanks a person has (or hasn't). If they've helped me, I'll thank them. I might be the first person to do so, but so what?
      Signature

      Turbocharge your backlinks with RSS Autopilot!
      Special Warrior Offer - Massive discount off the regular fee, and a 50% bigger site allocation!
      Try it now -> www.rssautopilot.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988429].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
      Originally Posted by JohnHuizinga View Post


      Personally I've never given someone thanks just because I like them. I only give them out because I like what they said. It might be because it was useful. It might just be because it made me laugh.

      I am with you. I give out thanks to those who have helped me. I give out thanks to those who have made a good point, etc... NEVER b/c I am trying to be hip with the "gurus."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pragun
    As Kay King said, thanks is just a way to express that you liked someone's post, or well, someone else liked yours !
    Don't put too much thought into it.

    I really doubt that the wise ones give too much weightage to the amount of "thanks" that a certain person has received..
    Signature

    Web development problem? No problem! Contact me and let's make it happen!
    Color Coding the world, one pixel at a time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

    I seen warriors use pics of hot females and get thanks just because of that as well, the thank system is heavily flawed!

    Male users with female name and avatar? NO way!!!! :p
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1988585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ron.the.bull
    Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

    Don't ever base your opinions, on how many thanks a warrior has. It's obvious that the thank system is heavily favored with bias. There are warriors that make cynical remarks, or say a one line post to be cute and they seem to get a herd of thank youS.

    There are other warriors, who contribute all the time and provide information that is helpful and dead accurate and never get thanks because... they may not be as popular as other warriors or liked.

    I seen warriors use pics of hot females and get thanks just because of that as well, the thank system is heavily flawed!
    Hmm, someone should be spending more time with action.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vis
    wow, this really clears up a lot of questions about the thanks button. I agree that there are many reasons for using that button... so in the spirit of our journey in internet marketing, could we add this "USEFUL" button??
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990281].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I think we just took a journey - around the bend....
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990334].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TonyDavis
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        I think we just took a journey - around the bend....
        .... to the twilight zone!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1991663].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kella Bella
    I just had a thought about all of this. And no offense to the OP btw. I just think if a person is sitting anywhere-on this forum or anywhere else on the net-and thinks the only reason they did not get a sale/or whatever they wanted was because they didn't have enough "thanks" to impress someone who doesn't even know them.....they need to start taking responsibility for their own success or lack of it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990873].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Emily Meeks
    Can we close this thread? I just don't see it going anywhere productive.
    Signature

    In all that you do, know your True INTENT...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993233].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Leatherman
    OMG a Waggie in 4010. Only if Paul Myers and Kevin Reiley with Beck Hagel has backup could we survive. Don't forget my thanks. and Oh yeah Rod cortez to drink with Riley. Once again don't forget my thanks. If I left you out thank me anyway.

    Hmmm! is this thank you spamming? Don't forget to thank me for opening this discussion into a sub topic of thank you spamming. yes thanks are needed.

    Ken
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993244].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Come on folks, please. Hasn't this gone far enough, or do you want blood?

    Isn't the purpose behind a forum to learn from each other and to help each other? Mel was feeling unappreciated. Haven't you ever felt that way? I know I have.

    I looked at some of Mel's posts. In the ones I read he was trying to help people. He may not be as eloquent as some, and that makes me wonder if perhaps some people really are under appreciated because they don't express themselves as well as others. That doesn't make their intentions less honorable or their ideas less valuable.

    I'm not saying his rant was the way to go, far from it, but it's not like he's a troll that just showed up. He's been a member for 3 years and has been very involved in the community. Is it necessary to keep having fun at his expense? I think he's received the message.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993323].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
    This much controversy over a single rant? I think I will become a troll!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993418].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom B
      Banned
      Originally Posted by skyfox7 View Post

      This much controversy over a single rant? I think I will become a troll!
      Too late, I am here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Merz
    You're likely to receive more positive peer recognition commensurate to your level of self and/or product branding, notoriety, reputation, and so on. Is it wrong to be thanked too often or too heavily in reciprocation for what your opinion has meant to your peers over time? Does value, perceived or otherwise, need to be confined to a single post to be credit worthy?

    Cheers,

    Mike Merz
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1993571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Pickstone
    Great Idea! I was trying to find a good picture to put as my DP! Whats a good site to find a "hot Chick thumbnail"

    Take Care,
    Matt Pickstone
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1994018].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
    Dennis,
    it's not like he's a troll that just showed up.
    Or any other kind.

    Notice that I didn't disagree with him. I asked what he'd suggest we do about what he sees as a problem. Given that it results from human nature, I'm personally inclined to accept that it will happen, and make proper allowances for the effect. If he has a "solution," I'd love to hear it.

    As long as it's not too radical a thing, mind you. I don't see this as a large problem that really needs solving. Others might disagree.


    Paul
    Signature
    .
    Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1994197].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
      Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

      Dennis,Or any other kind.

      Notice that I didn't disagree with him. I asked what he'd suggest we do about what he sees as a problem. Given that it results from human nature, I'm personally inclined to accept that it will happen, and make proper allowances for the effect. If he has a "solution," I'd love to hear it.

      As long as it's not too radical a thing, mind you. I don't see this as a large problem that really needs solving. Others might disagree.


      Paul
      I usually do take note of what you say, Paul. I open threads I wouldn't normally be interested in if I see your name. Of course, my comment wasn't directed at you or at anyone specifically. What you said was pretty innocuous, most people were reasonable, it's just the cumulative effect. Death by 1,000 cuts. I just don't see any point in continuing to beat him up over it. Apparently I've wasted my time.
      Signature

      Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1994246].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Dennis,
        I just don't see any point in continuing to beat him up over it.
        I don't think it's especially about beating him up. However, there's a larger point in these threads, with a couple of lessons. One is that dissent is allowed, and even encouraged, as long as it's relevant and not too outlandish. I think that's a useful thing for people to know. The last thing we need is a few thousand people who agree on everything. That would be a comic waste of everyone's time.

        The other is that you shouldn't start a fight unless you're sure it's one worth fighting. I only saw a few responses that were more raw than his original post, so it's not like this got out of hand. If you're going to rant at a group, you have to expect that some of them will rant back.

        These threads usually bring out other sides of the issues, too. There are a bunch of factors that influence why people use the thanks button, many of which were mentioned here. Others were hinted at. It's probable that a number of people gave useful consideration to how they do things as a result, which benefits the group as a whole in the long run.

        I don't think you wasted your time at all. I just think that the people who can close threads are looking at it from a different perspective.


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1994367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Paul,

    I know what you're saying, and I said myself the responses were mostly innocuous, taken one at a time that is. I wasn't calling for the thread to be deleted either. I've seen worse threads. However, in those threads it's two or more people going at it. In this instance, it's pretty much everyone against Mel, he hasn't done much fighting back. The cumulative effect of dozens of small blows often hurts worse than a few hard blows. Is there no room for clemency?
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1994511].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Dennis,

      Clemency for what? Magic didn't do anything that requires it. He's got a valid point, which should be considered by everyone on the forum. He expressed it in acceptable ways. He didn't do a thing wrong.

      If people aren't getting his point, it's because they're not thinking about it. That's not his fault.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1994533].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Paul,

    Clemency because he hasn't been defending himself for quite some time. Where I come from when two people get in a fight and one gives up, you stop beating him up.

    Anyway, things seem to have calmed down. I'm not going to belabor the point any longer.

    Dennis
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1994576].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheMagicShow
      Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

      Paul,

      Clemency because he hasn't been defending himself for quite some time. Where I come from when two people get in a fight and one gives up, you stop beating him up.

      Anyway, things seem to have calmed down. I'm not going to belabor the point any longer.

      Dennis
      Dennis,

      I never gave up. I made my point, if people liked it great..if not....that's their issue not mine.

      I am not gonna spend my day, coming up w/ rebuttals to posts made in this thread..
      Signature

      " You can either give a man a fish and feed him for a day OR teach him how to catch a fish and it will feed him for a lifetime"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1994610].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by Magic Mel View Post

        Dennis,

        I never gave up. I made my point, if people liked it great..if not....that's their issue not mine.

        I am not gonna spend my day, coming up w/ rebuttals to posts made in this thread..
        Nice restraint. Appreciated...

        One way to get otherwise useful discussions locked down or deleted is for people to get into wee-wee measuring contests over things that don't warrant them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1996176].message }}

Trending Topics