Need Advice for Facebook Ads Campaign

24 replies
Hi Warriors!

I want to dip my fingers in Facebook, as a sort of learning experience.

To begin with I want to invest a small amount like $5-$50 in an ad campaign for promoting affiliate products.

I need you to help me out with choosing the product(s). I know it has to be in the low-price to mid-price range, but what sort of products sell most on FB?

Thanks to all,
Samir.
#ads #advice #campaign #facebook
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Test a few different ones and you shall see. No one is going to give you products that they are currently selling on facebook and are working - it's too competitive.

    If you want to know what is working, as with any ppc advertising platform, keep your eyes on the ads for a few weeks and see the ones that keep re-appearing. Obviously someone is not going to keep throwing money at it unless they are making money.

    The ads you keep seeing over and over will more than likely be profitable. However it all depends on a lot more than just picking the right product. You need to have a great ad, a great landing page, and on and on it goes.

    If you are after some quick money by doing this, you may get lucky, but I very much doubt it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2955708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SamirSM
      Thanks a lot for the advice!
      Though I've been noticing certain ads over weeks now, I'm not sure whether it is the same person advertising the product or different affiliates.
      So I guess I'll just have to take the dip the first time
      And I've read at many places that CPC works best for conversion-based products.
      What do you say?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2955727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketing123
    Yah! I agree test some products. If you have ebay as your affiliate site, why don't you start researching first for hottest products today? It's getting christmas so try to promote giftpacks? or gift products? I think it's a good idea for beginners.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2955738].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SamirSM
      Exactly my thoughts!
      To begin with I thought of the Facebook Ads thing just to take advantage of the December-gifting rush!
      Would you suggest a low-priced ($1-$10) affiliate product or a mid-priced ($10-$50) one?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2955754].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by marketing123 View Post

        If you have ebay as your affiliate site, why don't you start researching first for hottest products today? It's getting christmas so try to promote giftpacks? or gift products?
        With the tiny commissions ebay offers, you would need to be selling some fairly high priced items and lots of them to make it even remotely profitable on Facebook. Digital products work best if you are promoting as an affiliate. Because there is no production cost the vendors can offer you higher commissions.

        Originally Posted by indihow View Post

        Thanks a lot for the advice!
        Though I've been noticing certain ads over weeks now, I'm not sure whether it is the same person advertising the product or different affiliates.
        So I guess I'll just have to take the dip the first time
        And I've read at many places that CPC works best for conversion-based products.
        What do you say?
        Once again, you need to test CPC versus CPM. It all depends how good your ad copy is and what your click-through rate is.

        If you have been noticing a lot of the same ads over and over, make sure you write them down or take a screenshot of them. Make sure you write down the ad copy they are using, the type of image, and the url they are going to. If you take note of the urls then you will be able to see if it is the same person promoting that product or several different ones.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2955783].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    If you send me a pm, I will give you an audio that will help you a lot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2955897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ShawnPeter
    Hi indihow,

    Affiliate products do not really work well on FB, unless you are selling an FB related product.

    Why not create a FB Fanpage? This would help with your FB ad.

    On products: CPA is good. Lookout for X'Mas CPAs now. The festive season will
    help people notice, although that will be a small influence.

    Testing and looking out for ads that have been around long, will hint to you what they are doing right.

    1st thing to remember - Users on FB are not in buying mode. U need to enagage them and then convert them into buying mode.

    From your FB ad - 2 things to REALLY take note. Image = pics of person really helps a lot. Also arrows & signs. Text= Your 'Call To Action'. Short,Sharp & Sweet.

    U might wanna visit these sites:

    AllFacebook.com & InsideFacebook.com

    Facebakers.com : Gives Fb statistics. Even up-to-date information on average CPC and CPM for each country.

    Cheers!



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2956040].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SamirSM
      Thanks Shawn!

      I'll try those sites right away.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2956290].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sardent
      My advice -

      • I prefer CPC vs. CPM.
      • I've tried the CPM mode, you end up blowing thru your budget quickly with barely any clicks and no conversions.
      • The suggested bid is not realistic and seems to always drive you towards an ever increasing price. I routinely pay $0.05 per click with a CTR of .358
      • If there is any way to use a picture of a pretty girl for the ad, do it.
      • Target, target, target. Narrow those keywords and locations as far down as you can go. You will have a much better CTR and conversion rate.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2956366].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SamirSM
        Originally Posted by Sardent View Post

        My advice -

        • I prefer CPC vs. CPM.
        • I've tried the CPM mode, you end up blowing thru your budget quickly with barely any clicks and no conversions.
        • The suggested bid is not realistic and seems to always drive you towards an ever increasing price. I routinely pay $0.05 per click with a CTR of .358
        • If there is any way to use a picture of a pretty girl for the ad, do it.
        • Target, target, target. Narrow those keywords and locations as far down as you can go. You will have a much better CTR and conversion rate.
        Thanks a lot for the detailed analysis!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2956495].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by Sardent View Post

        If there is any way to use a picture of a pretty girl for the ad, do it.
        I disagree. YES, this may get you a higher click-thru rate however if those people are only clicking on it because it's a picture of a hot lady, how targeted are they going to be to your offer - not at all.

        The man with the highest CTR does NOT win. The man with the most targeted visitors wins.

        I'd much rather have a CTR of .15 and be paying $0.30 per click than have a CTR of .358 and be paying $0.05 per click - if my CTR had only been inflated by using images that do not represent my offer.

        At least with the 0.15 CTR where I am using an actual image that truly represents my offer, I will only be paying for targeted people hitting my page.

        Originally Posted by ShawnPeter View Post

        Affiliate products do not really work well on FB, unless you are selling an FB related product.
        I disagree. Just because YOU can't make affiliate products work on Facebook does NOT mean they don't work for other people. Besides, an affiliate product is a product just like any other - except they allow affiliates to also sell it. I'm not sure how you are making such a generalization?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2956511].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sardent
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          I disagree. YES, this may get you a higher click-thru rate however if those people are only clicking on it because it's a picture of a hot lady, how targeted are they going to be to your offer - not at all.

          The man with the highest CTR does NOT win. The man with the most targeted visitors wins.

          I'd much rather have a CTR of .15 and be paying $0.30 per click than have a CTR of .358 and be paying $0.05 per click - if my CTR had only been inflated by using images that do not represent my offer.

          At least with the 0.15 CTR where I am using an actual image that truly represents my offer, I will only be paying for targeted people hitting my page.



          I disagree. Just because YOU can't make affiliate products work on Facebook does NOT mean they don't work for other people. Besides, an affiliate product is a product just like any other - except they allow affiliates to also sell it. I'm not sure how you are making such a generalization?

          You should be targeting with your keywords and the small amount of copy facebook allows. The pretty girl is just an added inducement.

          The people who click thru for me already know what the subject of the website they're going to is. I've just made it a little bit more pleasant for them to do so.

          But you go ahead and keep paying the higher rate of six times what I'm paying for less than half the results. Facebook thanks you.

          I'll keep doing what gets me an 8.3% conversion rate.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2956632].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WillR
            Originally Posted by Sardent View Post

            But you go ahead and keep paying the higher rate of six times what I'm paying for less than half the results. Facebook thanks you.
            Then you don't understand CTR's very well. You are not getting twice the results I am. Double my CTR does NOT mean you are getting double my results. All it means is out of every hundred people who see your ad, you are getting a higher percentage of them clicking through to your website.

            Great. And to reward you for this, Facebook will charge you less per click because you are getting more of their users to click ads.

            But if all those people are going to a website that is not something they are interested in, then it does not matter what your CTR is. I can easily have a CTR of 1.5% (paying 30 cents per click) and make a lot more money than someone with a CTR of 3.58% (paying 5 cents per click).

            I'm not sure what you're conversion rates are, nor do I really care. I was just using us as an example. The only reason people go on about CTR is because the higher your CTR, the lower you pay per click. That's fine if your advertisement is highly targeted to what the user will see on your website.

            But if you are just using photos of women to inflate your CTR because you believe that cheap clicks mean you are a good advertiser (not true) then you don't really understand the whole point of CTR.
            The women probably has nothing to do with your site. You are saying to use the image to get more clicks.

            Anyway, I agree to disagree. This is a boring topic.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2956895].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Sardent
              Originally Posted by WillR View Post

              Then you don't understand CTR's very well. You are not getting twice the results I am. Double my CTR does NOT mean you are getting double my results. All it means is out of every hundred people who see your ad, you are getting a higher percentage of them clicking through to your website.

              Great. And to reward you for this, Facebook will charge you less per click because you are getting more of their users to click ads.

              But if all those people are going to a website that is not something they are interested in, then it does not matter what your CTR is. I can easily have a CTR of 1.5% (paying 30 cents per click) and make a lot more money than someone with a CTR of 3.58% (paying 5 cents per click).

              I'm not sure what you're conversion rates are, nor do I really care. I was just using us as an example. The only reason people go on about CTR is because the higher your CTR, the lower you pay per click. That's fine if your advertisement is highly targeted to what the user will see on your website.

              But if you are just using photos of women to inflate your CTR because you believe that cheap clicks mean you are a good advertiser (not true) then you don't really understand the whole point of CTR.
              The women probably has nothing to do with your site. You are saying to use the image to get more clicks.

              Anyway, I agree to disagree. This is a boring topic.
              Whatever dude.

              Math is math. Results are results.

              Me and car shows will continue to make our customers experience a little more pleasant.
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2959134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rohnsmith
    I do not hink it is good idea to promote your affiliate link with facebook. You should have real website and real products which really gives you good profit...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2956522].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author minijus704
    I do not hink it is good idea to promote your affiliate link with facebook
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2957101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kayaman
    i have totally loss money for campaign promoting CB product, need your advice
    how to find the most Hot niche for FB ads and how to find which country or region which matching for our product

    thanks
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3009388].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KEY
      not really a good idea to try and promote an affiliate
      product...unless you are sending traffic to a well set
      up review site, reviewing 3-4 products and then giving
      people the option of a choice.

      you should also have an optin for a list of some kind. if
      you review energy products (solar panels are hot right now)
      then it would be a 'green' newsletter. this way you may
      be able to open up a related opportunity. example: with
      the solar panels? an interested person would likely be
      interested in cleaner water, non-toxic bug spray, etc

      this way you have a better return (over time) for the
      costs of driving/generating the traffic.

      KEY (eric)

      btw- pictures with good looking, not trampy! men/women
      work well. just create 2 ads.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3009524].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author KEY
        @tee-emm

        google is just traffic from source 'x' (search, content network), you
        only have control of country.

        facebook has the ability to only show ads to people based on: age,
        sex, interests (major!), pages they liked, and quite a bit more.

        KEY (eric)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3009543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tee_emm
    Are facebook ads much different from google ads?
    Signature
    Melanotan 2 - Giving You The Ultimate Tan!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3009402].message }}

Trending Topics