How to get best conversions from MY email list?

33 replies
Howdy,

As you may know, my niche is increasing your vertical jump as an athlete.

Basic plan: Get them to opt in on squeeze page. They receive their 7 day e-course. They're now on my list also...

The idea is to sell them a product (the e-course is the freebie).

THIS IS WHERE I NEED TO REFINE MY BUSINESS MODEL.

Do I...

a) Send them 5-20 further emails with quality content to provide them with quality information. Start building some credentials for myself? THEN send them the product?

b) Send them the product immediately after the 7 day e-course and hope they'll buy it having liked what they saw?

And also, should I use HTML templates in my emails (the attractive Aweber ones) or just plain text?

Cheers
#conversions #email #list
  • Profile picture of the author Elmar
    Go for the b option.
    You don't want to wait too much until you present the paid offer, otherwise you are just training them to consume free content.

    Do not use fancy HTML templates. Better learn to write engaging copy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5740957].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
      When someone first joins your list, you have their full
      attention. For the majority of subscribers, their attention
      decreases over time.

      Therefore, consider making an offer for people to
      buy your product right away and throughout your
      follow-up e-course.

      That way, you get to separate out the BUYERS from
      your prospect list and give people the opportunity to
      buy - when they are ready to buy.

      Some WILL want to buy right away if you make them
      a decent offer. Some will buy later in your autoresponder
      series and some won't buy ever.

      Dedicated to mutual success,

      Shaun
      Signature

      .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5741021].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Harvey M
      Originally Posted by Elmar View Post

      Go for the b option.
      You don't want to wait too much until you present the paid offer, otherwise you are just training them to consume free content.

      Do not use fancy HTML templates. Better learn to write engaging copy.
      Elmar, can you explain why not to use HTML templates?
      Signature
      There's no need for a Plan B because it distracts from Plan A.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5741026].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Elmar
    1. HTML templates hurt deliverability rates (not much)
    2. They distract a person from your message / copy
    3. Most Gmail users have images set to off, so when they see your email it has bunch of empty boxes around your text. This does not look good.
    4. When your emailing your market you want your emails to be as personal as possible. One way to do that is to make your list look like and sound like they came from a friend. Do your friends use HTML Templates when they email you ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5741094].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author big-marketing
      Originally Posted by Elmar View Post

      1. HTML templates hurt deliverability rates (not much)
      actually, using html doesn't hurt your deliverability
      2. They distract a person from your message / copy
      no they don't
      3. Most Gmail users have images set to off, so when they see your email it has bunch of empty boxes around your text. This does not look good.
      a) using html doesn't mean you have to use images b) that is a huge generalization. no reason why you can't make html emails (with images) look good with images turned off
      4. When your emailing your market you want your emails to be as personal as possible. One way to do that is to make your list look like and sound like they came from a friend. Do your friends use HTML Templates when they email you ?
      yes, my friends send me emails with html every day

      big jason
      Signature

      Big Jason Henderson of Breakthrough Email Marketing
      18+ years of email marketing... Certified Email Marketing Optimization, Landing Page Optimization, Value Proposition Development and Online Testing Specialist by MECLABS

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6114897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Harvey M
    Thanks mate, appreciate the information.
    Signature
    There's no need for a Plan B because it distracts from Plan A.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5741218].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Coxill
    Hey Harvey,

    Hit the guys that opt-in for your 7 day e-course right away with a one time offer. So once they have opted in, send them straight to a sales page with the one time offer on, and of course the option to pass on this offer. Ever heard the phrase, "strike while the irons hot". This is so true here. Then you can always email your list later on with the product again at a discounted price, and say take off a bonus they may have got if they bought your one time offer right away.

    Or you could email them later on with another product, it's your list.

    Jack.
    Signature
    Grab your "Free" Emergency Cash report here:


    I'm Now Selling Solo Ads See My Great Reviews Here:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5741334].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Harvey M
      Originally Posted by Jack Coxill View Post

      Hey Harvey,

      Hit the guys that opt-in for your 7 day e-course right away with a one time offer. So once they have opted in, send them straight to a sales page with the one time offer on, and of course the option to pass on this offer. Ever heard the phrase, "strike while the irons hot". This is so true here. Then you can always email your list later on with the product again at a discounted price, and say take off a bonus they may have got if they bought your one time offer right away.

      Or you could email them later on with another product, it's your list.

      Jack.
      I think that would make the 7 day e-course redundant though. That's supposed to get them really excited. Do you think the iron will be even hotter after this e-course?
      Signature
      There's no need for a Plan B because it distracts from Plan A.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5741387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ErikNilsson
    At the end of the 7 day e-course add your future product and it's price after a week come up with a nice sales letter.
    Signature
    USA Bank Account + ATM Card for Non-USA Residents Service PM me
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5741487].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sethczerepak
    I've found that timing isn't as important as frequency. I keep to what I call the 90/10 rule, 900 words of pure content, 100 words of hard promotion. Then, you write REALLY catch headlines (check out the headlines on the magazine racks at the grocery store) and make sure the offers I promote are solid.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5741834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MissLauraCatella
    I agree with Jack in "striking while the iron is hot" with a one time offer. Offer them your paid product at a discount price to thank them for signing up to your list.

    Make it a genuine discount, one you will not offer them again later.

    Then, make sure you create a separate list of those people who pull the trigger on your one-time-offer, they're the hot list.

    Go on with your 7 day e-course, you may want to include an affiliate offer in a couple of those freebie e-mails too (why not? you're already providing a great value and deserve to make some sales in the process).

    Then you can offer paid products and freebies regularly. Don't wait until your subscribers have "cooled off". The moment they opt-in is the moment they're hottest to grab something of value. Be there to sell it to them.

    Good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5742181].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Harvey M
      Originally Posted by MissLauraCatella View Post

      I agree with Jack in "striking while the iron is hot" with a one time offer. Offer them your paid product at a discount price to thank them for signing up to your list.

      Make it a genuine discount, one you will not offer them again later.

      Then, make sure you create a separate list of those people who pull the trigger on your one-time-offer, they're the hot list.

      Go on with your 7 day e-course, you may want to include an affiliate offer in a couple of those freebie e-mails too (why not? you're already providing a great value and deserve to make some sales in the process).

      Then you can offer paid products and freebies regularly. Don't wait until your subscribers have "cooled off". The moment they opt-in is the moment they're hottest to grab something of value. Be there to sell it to them.

      Good luck.
      If I send the product through too early, that will make the 7 day e-course redundant. I want them to get to the end and go, 'damn, that was a really good e-course and this guy knows what he's talking about'.

      My product is centred around professionalism and its quality selling itself, not flashy marketing offers, etc.

      What do you think?
      Signature
      There's no need for a Plan B because it distracts from Plan A.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5746674].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LOM
        It's nothing wrong with doing the 7-day e-course first, but you must remember that once they opt-in you have their undivided attention. If your e-course holds up for 7 days and their still interested in your content then they'll buy, but if that doesn't seem like it's the case I suggest a one-time offer after the squeeze page or hitting them right away with an offer dripping the e-course throughout the days as well. You should definitely go for the sale.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5746722].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Harvey M
          Originally Posted by LOM View Post

          It's nothing wrong with doing the 7-day e-course first, but you must remember that once they opt-in you have their undivided attention. If your e-course holds up for 7 days and their still interested in your content then they'll buy, but if that doesn't seem like it's the case I suggest a one-time offer after the squeeze page or hitting them right away with an offer dripping the e-course throughout the days as well. You should definitely go for the sale.
          Okay, so how about post-opt in offer and then a 3 day course? I don't really want to send the product to them again after the 3 days, but of course I'd have to.
          Signature
          There's no need for a Plan B because it distracts from Plan A.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5746739].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dann Vicker
    You'd want to have a good mix of both value and promotions. Intermix the 7-day course with promotions in between and you'll be good. If you want to make money from your list, then you must build a cordial relationship between you and your subscribers.


    Keep your promotional materials light, creative and original. Many people are stressed out as it is. Getting a stuffy business proposal rather than a light hearted e-mail may just agitate them more. A warm friendly smile or banter is always more welcome than a serious business meeting or proposal. While you do want your customers to take you and your products and services seriously, you also want to show them that you know how to have fun.
    Signature

    Looking for high quality solo ad traffic? 200-2000 clicks available/day. Testimonials here. PM me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5742480].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5746812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tunity
    HarveyM,

    Let me give you a good example of what I have done in one of my list:

    I created a 7 day course on "Internet marketing" - (thats not the name...just an example)

    I sent out quality content and then i discovered that most people don't buy after i send them my first promotional offer after the 7 days.

    I improved my email subject, I modified my content etc and it did not make any difference.

    So i changed my mind; I simply put the link to my product (its not a clickbank product), in the first follow up email and voila.....i started getting trickles of sales.


    Lesson Learnt: I was trying to condition my customers to think exactly how i think (as a marketer), however, they were acting as a proper consumer. They only buy when their emotional lights are on.

    If the ultimate aim of your system is to make money( by offering value), why force your customers/prospect to read your 7 day offer when they would prefer to buy your course before then.

    My advice: Don't force your customer to think like you...try putting the product in between the emails and see if it convert....

    Wish you best of luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5749591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Originally Posted by Harvey M View Post

    Howdy,

    As you may know, my niche is increasing your vertical jump as an athlete.

    Basic plan: Get them to opt in on squeeze page. They receive their 7 day e-course. They're now on my list also...

    The idea is to sell them a product (the e-course is the freebie).

    THIS IS WHERE I NEED TO REFINE MY BUSINESS MODEL.

    Do I...

    a) Send them 5-20 further emails with quality content to provide them with quality information. Start building some credentials for myself? THEN send them the product?

    b) Send them the product immediately after the 7 day e-course and hope they'll buy it having liked what they saw?

    And also, should I use HTML templates in my emails (the attractive Aweber ones) or just plain text?

    Cheers
    Isn't that niche way too small. You might want to do some research on that and see how many people have searched for this in the past 12 months.

    Here's a great too for that:

    https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeti...uestType=IDEAS

    Tal
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5749606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanmilligan
    Banned
    You tell us how you get the best conversions for your list. It's your list not ours.

    Split test and find out for yourself.

    This isn't directed at you OP, cause I have seen your posts before and you seem like you are really trying. But what is happening in this day and age when everybody expects others to give them answers and for other people to waste their own time telling them what to do. I owuldn't have a problem with it but it's the fact newbies etc aren't even willing to try things, they come in here and expect us to tell them everything we know and exactly what they need to do to make money.

    I love the WF because as a communuty it's so helpful but why is it people expect us to do their work for them. Jesus, it annoys me so much.

    Sorry to fill the thread with being negative but it's been getting on my back the whole day and I needed to let it go
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ahbittersweet8
    I second on split testing to find out what works best.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750763].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mbacak
    Originally Posted by Harvey M View Post


    a) Send them 5-20 further emails with quality content to provide them with quality information. Start building some credentials for myself? THEN send them the product?

    b) Send them the product immediately after the 7 day e-course and hope they'll buy it having liked what they saw?

    And also, should I use HTML templates in my emails (the attractive Aweber ones) or just plain text?
    There's also a c) make the offer on the TY page (if single optin) and after they click the conformation link (if double optin)

    Regarding text vrs html emails, well... answer is really what ever gives you the best delivery. However, with text emails you lose data... such as open rates and clicks inside your autorsponder. These both or important factors in email marketing... because if you don't get opens they can't click, meaning you either didn't get delivered or your subject line sucked. If they open but don't click, then that tells you that your problem is in your email it self... so you might have to craft a new email to get them to go to the page.

    More clicks - more money.... as long as the offer converts.
    Signature
    The Listbuilding Club (join by clicking below)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750808].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mosthost
      Originally Posted by mbacak View Post

      There's also a c) make the offer on the TY page (if single optin) and after they click the conformation link (if double optin)

      Regarding text vrs html emails, well... answer is really what ever gives you the best delivery. However, with text emails you lose data... such as open rates and clicks inside your autorsponder. These both or important factors in email marketing... because if you don't get opens they can't click, meaning you either didn't get delivered or your subject line sucked. If they open but don't click, then that tells you that your problem is in your email it self... so you might have to craft a new email to get them to go to the page.

      More clicks - more money.... as long as the offer converts.
      Matt, did you use a special program to create your squeeze page? The one on Promoting Tips.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5751718].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mbacak
        Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

        Matt, did you use a special program to create your squeeze page? The one on Promoting Tips.
        I've been creating my own optin pages since 2003. So, I've never used a program. However, I do check out other people's pages to get ideas of things to test on my pages to make it better as in increasing optins. I do have a few templates (my old control optin pages), I keep handy to get me started when I built out the first one. Then, split test something radically different to start off.... and then test smaller variations.
        Signature
        The Listbuilding Club (join by clicking below)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5756388].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author VaultBoss
          Using HTML vs. Text is a non-issue ...

          Best way is to use both HTML+TXT combo, as that helps you get better delivery rates (passes through anti-spam filters en-route much easier than txt only)

          In regards to how the HTML should look like that really depends.
          If you are trying to brand yourself as an expert on that market... think how an expert would be perceived better; using a text-looking like email only, or a well formatted HTML newsletter template?

          If you want to pose in just another guy just like themselves, rather than an expert authority, then definitely don't use fancy newsletter template.

          If you decide to favor and choose HTML, it is a tricky thing, as HTML for email is VERY different from regular HTML+CSS for websites... in any case, even with a template already done for you, you still need to learn some about it.

          No offense to all the people above here in this thread or elsewhere, BUT most IMers recommending the usage of TXT emails against a HTML template newsletter style, do not have first hand experience.

          They just stick to what is easier, faster, etc...

          To ultimately determine (not decide) what is best, you should at least split the list in halves and measure the results, to see what works better for your niche, your voice and style.
          Send HTML looking like text + TXT to one half, send HTML+TXT template to the other half.

          ^^^ Do not measure opens, or CTR, but SALES!
          Signature
          Sexy eMail Marketing Secrets «« Pimp YOUR eMails Into Sexiness ...
          Double Opens & CTR - Instantly!

          Steve Lorenzo's eMail Tips Daily «« Strange, Controversial, Crazy Stuff even, BUT - The Bleeding Edge 'Unfair' Advantage Over Your eMail Marketing Competition
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5756719].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Harvey M
            Originally Posted by VaultBoss View Post

            Using HTML vs. Text is a non-issue ...

            Best way is to use both HTML+TXT combo, as that helps you get better delivery rates (passes through anti-spam filters en-route much easier than txt only)

            In regards to how the HTML should look like that really depends.
            If you are trying to brand yourself as an expert on that market... think how an expert would be perceived better; using a text-looking like email only, or a well formatted HTML newsletter template?

            If you want to pose in just another guy just like themselves, rather than an expert authority, then definitely don't use fancy newsletter template.

            If you decide to favor and choose HTML, it is a tricky thing, as HTML for email is VERY different from regular HTML+CSS for websites... in any case, even with a template already done for you, you still need to learn some about it.

            No offense to all the people above here in this thread or elsewhere, BUT most IMers recommending the usage of TXT emails against a HTML template newsletter style, do not have first hand experience.

            They just stick to what is easier, faster, etc...

            To ultimately determine (not decide) what is best, you should at least split the list in halves and measure the results, to see what works better for your niche, your voice and style.
            Send HTML looking like text + TXT to one half, send HTML+TXT template to the other half.

            ^^^ Do not measure opens, or CTR, but SALES!
            I'll do some split testing, thanks. As an athlete/coach though, would your first instinct be HTML or text? What's the best way to implement both?
            Signature
            There's no need for a Plan B because it distracts from Plan A.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5756848].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author VaultBoss
              Originally Posted by Harvey M View Post

              I'll do some split testing, thanks. As an athlete/coach though, would your first instinct be HTML or text? What's the best way to implement both?
              I'm in no position to give you feedback and/or suggestions on that, as I am not so athletic myself, nor do I go too often to the Gym and such...

              However, no matter what niche you are targeting, there is never a definitive answer to that Q... No one, no matter how good they would be as professionals, could give you the answer that testing would provide.

              My recommendation would be to stop asking for such input and just focus your efforts on finding out what exactly YOUR list would favor, by split testing it.

              BEWARE though...
              Do not split test newsletter template vs. plain-text looking-like emails along the follow up sequence or as broadcast to all the list after subscription.
              You would only alienate your subscribers, many would not recognize you because of the change in the looks and may mark you as spammer.

              What to do:
              You need to split the list in halves right from the subscription.
              • One new subscriber goes to Version A (newsletter template)
              • Next new subscriber goes to Version B (plain text looking-like)
              Using the above technique, you keep the list pretty similarly balanced on both sides, because you will get people from similar batches of promotions and traffic sent in equal amounts to both versions.

              Once you have established a winning solution, go for it (or just keep testing new traffic on 20% of it on the split and check if the winner still keeps up)

              Hope this helps!

              You could easily DOUBLE your R.O.I. (open rates and consequently CTR) this way, without much effort.
              Signature
              Sexy eMail Marketing Secrets «« Pimp YOUR eMails Into Sexiness ...
              Double Opens & CTR - Instantly!

              Steve Lorenzo's eMail Tips Daily «« Strange, Controversial, Crazy Stuff even, BUT - The Bleeding Edge 'Unfair' Advantage Over Your eMail Marketing Competition
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6115105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Strong
    Re text vs. HTML emails: I like to have it both ways. I send the emails as HTML so I get all the tracking capabilities, but I format them as text only (except possibly some anchor text for the link) so there's no distractions, blank boxes, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750968].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Elmar
      Originally Posted by Ken Strong View Post

      Re text vs. HTML emails: I like to have it both ways. I send the emails as HTML so I get all the tracking capabilities, but I format them as text only (except possibly some anchor text for the link) so there's no distractions, blank boxes, etc.
      I second that. This is what I meant in my html vs plain text response. Use plain text in the HTML format, but no fancy graphics.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5751006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kayshaw
    Hi Harvey,
    I would also recommend going with Plan B as you are building credibility through the ecourse and 7 days is enough time for them to decide if they like you or not. Another option is to split test between both ideas and see which one does better.
    Personally, I hate it when a marketer is sending me stuff everyday instead of every couple of days or weeks. I wish you all the success!
    Frith,
    Kayla
    Signature

    Kayla Shaw
    The Ultimate Self-Help Niche Kickstart Package!
    PLR Provider/Copywriter/Ghostwriter



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5756759].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I would use plain text, and would add more emails to your autoresponder sequence. Leads that dont buy within your 7-part email course may buy from you 2 months from now... thereby increasing your conversion rates.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5757435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author big-marketing
    Originally Posted by Harvey M View Post

    Howdy,

    As you may know, my niche is increasing your vertical jump as an athlete.

    Basic plan: Get them to opt in on squeeze page. They receive their 7 day e-course. They're now on my list also...

    The idea is to sell them a product (the e-course is the freebie).

    THIS IS WHERE I NEED TO REFINE MY BUSINESS MODEL.

    Do I...

    a) Send them 5-20 further emails with quality content to provide them with quality information. Start building some credentials for myself? THEN send them the product?

    b) Send them the product immediately after the 7 day e-course and hope they'll buy it having liked what they saw?
    you might want to test having an oto (one time offer) after squeezing them.

    then if they don't buy strategically sell the product amongst your killer content
    And also, should I use HTML templates in my emails (the attractive Aweber ones) or just plain text?

    Cheers
    you should definitely test using html and a plain text version of your emails. you should also test using images as well. there is no reason why you have to use aweber's html templates. just use your own

    hth
    big jason
    Signature

    Big Jason Henderson of Breakthrough Email Marketing
    18+ years of email marketing... Certified Email Marketing Optimization, Landing Page Optimization, Value Proposition Development and Online Testing Specialist by MECLABS

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6114932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brightonimplant
    I think you should try the 2nd option. It will definitely help you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6115173].message }}

Trending Topics