Infographic: How Does Article Syndication Work?

by Joshua Rigley Banned
33 replies
Hey everyone. I'd thought I'd make a semi-useful post for a change. Here's an infographic I made that gives a brief overview of how article syndication works. It took me 2 hours to make. Let me know what you think of it.



#article #infographic #syndication #work
  • Profile picture of the author TheArticlePros
    Something tells me Alexa's gonna love this and refer to it in every post she makes. LOL!

    This is awesome, by the way.

    -- j
    Signature

    Posting About Life & Video Games:
    http://www.jarycu.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6287335].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      "Refer" to it?! I might steal it ...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6287416].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joshua Rigley
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        "Refer" to it?! I might steal it ...
        Feel free. Though I would recommend linking directly to the source whenever possible. The software I used (easel.ly) automatically updates the source file whenever I save any changes I make to the infographic, so linking directly to the source will ensure you always have the most up to date version.

        Here's the embed code:

        Code:
        <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/easel.ly/all_easels/5407/Article_Syndication/image.jpg"/><img src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/easel.ly/all_easels/5407/Article_Syndication/image.jpg" alt="Article_Syndication title="easel.ly" /></a><br /><a href="http://easel.ly" style="text-align:left;" align="left">easel.ly</a>
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6287453].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Thank you, Joshua - and for posting it (I was only joking about stealing it!).
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6287744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alamest
    That's what called Article syndication, thanks for sharing this wonderful information cause I didn't know that what I know that thing you are telling me....

    Did you made this image yourself..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6287769].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roadywreck
    This is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing this!
    Signature

    Rod Tolentino is a link development specialist by day and a musician by night. He works for Affilorama, one of the world's largest affiliate marketing portal, which offers online training materials through its blog, free lessons, forums and affiliate marketing tools.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6288763].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FNHPWR11
    Good post! Wall hanging material
    Signature

    [Amazon] You are leaving money on the table. Learn To Review Products Like A Pro

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6288920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    Well it's about *****in time somebody did this!

    Kudos on the Cracked reference, it's the basis for my own writing style actually .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6288938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danr62
    Oi, now I have an excuse to go and spend hours on Cracked.com doing "research" for my writing business.

    I love the infographic, it's definitely professional quality. Although you might want to add a step instructing the viewer to send the article to the different outlets. Right now it's an assumed step in the process, and the viewer may or may not make the connection.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6289041].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EN WEB DEV
    This is really a good idea....
    Thanks for sharing us..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6289044].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sophia M
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6289084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seanicasia
      Ha, this infographic thing, when done right, really speaks volume.

      Great work on the syndication explanation. Love it!
      Signature
      Make a sale in 30 days or I'll Paypal you $500 >> Details here <<
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6289129].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Sophia M View Post

      Is it true that Ezine links do not provide SEO benefits?
      Well ... it's very nearly true; yes.

      Ezines are sent to their subscribers by email, so search engines don't see them.

      Technically, it's true that some ezines do also have a copy archived online, as well as being sent out to their subscribers, so in theory it's possible to get one backlink out of it.

      It could be argued, therefore, that the "net backlinking effect" is certainly positive rather than negative. But this has nothing to do with the purpose of having one's articles syndicated in ezines.

      Article marketing isn't "part of SEO": it's a targeted traffic generation method in its own right.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6289931].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Alexa,
        Well ... it's very nearly true; yes.
        I think he read "Ezine" as meaning EzineArticles.com, not ezines as in emailed newsletters.

        Personally, I think a mild electric shock should be delivered through the keyboard every time someone uses the word "ezine" to refer to EZA. But I'm old school...


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6289989].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

          Alexa,I think he read "Ezine" as meaning EzineArticles.com, not ezines as in emailed newsletters.
          Apologies if I misunderstood your question, Sophia.

          Yes, it's also true that backlinks in Ezine Articles are close to worthless.

          Even before all the Panda updates of 2011 devalued article directories so much, those were only non-context-relevant, PR-0 backlinks anyway (regardless of the page rank of EZA's own home page, which isn't where our articles are published, of course), and the authors of the standard SEO textbooks were explaining why one would typically need something between 50,000 and 100,000 of those backlinks to confer the same linkjuice as that from one backlink on a relevant authority site.

          Since then, Google's further updates seem to have magnified that effect, if anything: it's now more true than ever that relevance and quality are the primary determining factors in the value of a backlink.

          So ... yes ... EZA backlinks are pretty worthless, really. But that's no criticism of EZA itself, at all - because "providing good backlinks" has never been part of the intention, purpose, function or job-description of an article directory anyway: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post5068872

          Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

          Personally, I think a mild electric shock should be delivered through the keyboard every time someone uses the word "ezine" to refer to EZA. But I'm old school...
          Just call me a young-school skepchick: we don't always believe in the deterrent effect of punitive action. Yet somehow I still agree with you. :p
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6290077].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
            Alexa,
            Just call me a young-school skepchick: we don't always believe in the deterrent effect of punitive action. Yet somehow I still agree with you.
            I went to Catholic schools. A mild rap on the knuckles was viewed more as a reminder than a punishment.


            Paul
            Signature
            .
            Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6290127].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Sid Hale


              Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

              Alexa,I went to Catholic schools. A mild rap on the knuckles was viewed more as a reminder than a punishment.
              I didn't go to Catholic schools, but I'm sure that every time my teacher pulled her paddle out of the desk drawer and escorted Sid to the hall... it served as a strong "reminder" to the whole class! (and maybe a few more classes down the hall).

              I was pretty stoic, and usually managed little more than a whimper - but the sound of her paddle across my backside was familiar to all. Her rhythm (and the forcefulness of each blow) was distinctive, and when betting ensued in other classes as to who was the recipient "this" time... I was the odds on favorite.
              Signature

              Sid Hale
              Coming Soon... Rapid Action Profits (Pro)

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6291454].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Brad Langston
                Originally Posted by Sid Hale View Post





                I didn't go to Catholic schools, but I'm sure that every time my teacher pulled her paddle out of the desk drawer and escorted Sid to the hall... it served as a strong "reminder" to the whole class! (and maybe a few more classes down the hall).

                I was pretty stoic, and usually managed little more than a whimper - but the sound of her paddle across my backside was familiar to all. Her rhythm (and the forcefulness of each blow) was distinctive, and when betting ensued in other classes as to who was the recipient "this" time... I was the odds on favorite.
                Ahhh, the good old paddle!

                My teacher drilled holes in his paddle to obtain maximum velocity and left if hanging on a nail right next to the blackboard.

                Punishment was delivered front and center in the classroom after being dragged there by one ear and ordered to "grab your ankles"!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6430058].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author AZMD
              Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

              Alexa,I went to Catholic schools. A mild rap on the knuckles was viewed more as a reminder than a punishment.


              Paul
              And if you kept up with less than desirable behavior it was probably followed up with a less than mild whack to the rear-end. That's what I remember from the mid-western school that I attended.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6292386].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WikiWarrior
        This is awesome Joshua, thanks for sharing this. I've been looking for a way to make cool Infographics for ages. Such a great way to add value to just about anything. Love it!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6290009].message }}
  • Thanks a lot for this! May I repost this on my blog? I'll be sure to give you credit.

    Also, can someone explain to me better about 'Syndication Outlets' and go into more detail on how to find them?
    Signature

    Blogging With Attitude - Michaelangelo Flores Official Blog

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6290262].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Barrs
    Joshua,

    Nice share. May also share it with my blog if that's OK... but would want a site of yours to link back to.

    Also, did you draw up an outline by hand first or just create straight from the head?

    Paul
    Signature
    **********
    It's Simple... I don't "sell" IM anymore, but still do lots of YouTube Videos
    **********
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6290270].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joshua Rigley
      Banned
      Thank you for your kind words everyone, it means a lot to me. Now to answer some questions...

      Originally Posted by danr62 View Post

      Oi, now I have an excuse to go and spend hours on Cracked.com doing "research" for my writing business.

      I love the infographic, it's definitely professional quality. Although you might want to add a step instructing the viewer to send the article to the different outlets. Right now it's an assumed step in the process, and the viewer may or may not make the connection.
      That was in the original design, but I ran out of space (the tool I used doesn't allow me to resize the canvas, and I'm looking for a different tool to use as a result). I'm hoping the line between the site and outlet with the email icon will give enough of a clue for people to get it.

      Originally Posted by WikiWarrior View Post

      This is awesome Joshua, thanks for sharing this. I've been looking for a way to make cool Infographics for ages. Such a great way to add value to just about anything. Love it!
      There are lots of tools that do just this, though they do have some limitations (see above). You can check this out for a list of tools that can help you make an infographic: Piktochart: simple infographic creator online for the busy professional - AGBeat

      Personally I'm starting to think the best way to go would be to use photoshop (If I had the money to buy it, lol), and infographic kits (don't know of any of the top of my head, I'll have to search for some).

      Bear in mind that even with these tools, it will still take some time to make infographics, if you plan to do any serious customization like I did.

      Originally Posted by Michaelangelo Flores View Post

      Thanks a lot for this! May I repost this on my blog? I'll be sure to give you credit.

      Also, can someone explain to me better about 'Syndication Outlets' and go into more detail on how to find them?
      Syndication outlets are places that agree to repost the articles you write if they feel your articles will offer value to their audience. I listed a few sites in the infographic that you can use to find syndication outlets (see the yellow "Pro Tips" circle).

      And yes, feel free to repost this on your blog. Here is the embed code:

      HTML Code:
      <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/easel.ly/all_easels/5407/Article_Syndication/image.jpg"/><img src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/easel.ly/all_easels/5407/Article_Syndication/image.jpg" alt="Article_Syndication title="easel.ly" /></a><br /><a href="http://easel.ly" style="text-align:left;" align="left">easel.ly</a>
      Originally Posted by Paul Barrs View Post

      Joshua,

      Nice share. May also share it with my blog if that's OK... but would want a site of yours to link back to.

      Also, did you draw up an outline by hand first or just create straight from the head?

      Paul
      Hey Paul. Feel free to share this on your blog. Unfortunately, I don't have a website to link to right now.

      I did draw an outline by hand the night before, but I don't think I referenced to it even once when I made the actual infographic. So a bit of both I guess.

      I'm actually thinking of either creating infographics for you guys as a freelancer, or to keep making IM-related infographics and posting them on a blog or some other. What say you?

      Thanks again for your feedback everyone.

      Joshua
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6292213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AZMD
    Great infographic Josh. Very helpful. As they say... A picture is worth a 1,000 words. Thanks for sharing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6292416].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joshua Rigley
      Banned
      Originally Posted by AZMD View Post

      Great infographic Josh. Very helpful. As they say... A picture is worth a 1,000 words. Thanks for sharing.
      You're welcome. I'm glad you liked it.

      Since you guys liked this one so much, I suppose I'll stop procrastinating and make a few more of these visual treats. Any suggestions for topics?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6294346].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author monkseo
        Does the article really need to be 1000-1500 words? Will any 400-500 articles ever be syndicated via ezinearticles? If so I will keep writing 400-500 word articles, but if they will really be syndicated with double the words, then it may be time to change my style. I just don't want to do twice as much work with no syndication. I write shorter articles because my sig box is higher than and not so far down.

        Thanks again, really appreciate your insight.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6318270].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author myob
          @Joshua: Bravo!

          "Brevity is a great charm of eloquence."
          - Marcus Cicero

          For a more detailed explanation (with much less eloquence) regarding article syndication as summarized within this single illustration, begin reading here, here and here, including all of the referenced links and sub-links.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6318785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author leetpete
    Very nice. Visual format makes it very easy to read and understand!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6318819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nicola Lane
    Of course some 400-500 word articles get syndicated. But for more of the 1000-1500 word articles get syndicated.

    It is all about the quality of the articles. But think about this from the point of view of the person looking for articles to publish - most of the "article vomit" (Borrowed from Paul Myers) is in the range of <550 words. So a great filter to find real quality is to simply search for articles that are 500+ words long, and often 1000+ will usually get a great article that covers an idea properly and in an interesting way rather than an article by a writer that is just trying to make the required word count.

    As for needing your sig box to be higher - If you article is interesting (and the sort of quality that publishers are looking for) then people will read all the way to the end - then click your sig box because they want to read more articles by you. If a reader is getting bored by 400 words, then you haven't written a very good article.

    Hope that helps.
    Signature

    I like to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6319095].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Smart Wordsmith
    Brilliant post Joshua! I was desperately reading thread after thread here, to understand what Article Syndication really is, but its your infographic that finally helped. Concept explained in the best possible way! Thanks a lot!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6322847].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joshua Rigley
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Nicola Lane View Post

      Of course some 400-500 word articles get syndicated. But for more of the 1000-1500 word articles get syndicated.

      It is all about the quality of the articles. But think about this from the point of view of the person looking for articles to publish - most of the "article vomit" (Borrowed from Paul Myers) is in the range of <550 words. So a great filter to find real quality is to simply search for articles that are 500+ words long, and often 1000+ will usually get a great article that covers an idea properly and in an interesting way rather than an article by a writer that is just trying to make the required word count.

      As for needing your sig box to be higher - If you article is interesting (and the sort of quality that publishers are looking for) then people will read all the way to the end - then click your sig box because they want to read more articles by you. If a reader is getting bored by 400 words, then you haven't written a very good article.

      Hope that helps.
      Exactly so. A great writer can easily keep an audience captivated for 1,000+ words. Even so, even the best written article can greatly benefit from adding visual breaks such as images or spreading the article across multiple pages.


      Originally Posted by Smart Wordsmith View Post

      Brilliant post Joshua! I was desperately reading thread after thread here, to understand what Article Syndication really is, but its your infographic that finally helped. Concept explained in the best possible way! Thanks a lot!
      I'm glad it helped you understand. That's great to hear.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6341186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brendan Carl
    Love this. Article syndication is really so simple, but many people overthink it.

    This infographic is incredibly clear, concise, complete, and professionally made. Well done. Everyone should print this and hang it on their wall
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6341279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Irwin Dominguez
    What an awesome infographic!!! When these are done right - they are extremely helpful and much easier to follow compared to a forum post/ blog article w/o pictures.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6430272].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author matt78
      Yeah..agree with the Cracked.com pro tip example. I've been addicted to reading their articles ever since the first day I found their website. Awesome content and funny like hell.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6434466].message }}

Trending Topics