Is Your Launch Really a Launch or is it the Death of your Product?

35 replies
There are problems with the mentality of many Internet marketers in these parts.

Let's start with the "Launch".

The very meaning of the word indicates the start of something, but in many IM circles, it actually means the end of something. For example, you spend months on the creation of a product, hire a JV manager to recruit affiliates, put together your sales funnel, and then... launch. The sales roll in for a few days. You make several thousand dollars and then you either close the offer or let it sit and collect dust. Your affiliates then move onto the next big thing and the marketer usually starts thinking about his next "launch".

Another scenario is the "Move to ClickBank". I had a chat with a JV Manager today about a very successful product being sold in one of the marketplaces. He said he and his client were very happy with the results and are excited that the "launch" still had five days left. Huh? What do you mean, I asked him. He said the product will become a "ClickBank product" after five days.

A ClickBank Product? What the heck is that?

ClickBank is an affiliate marketplace and payment processor. They are not what defines your product. Your product should be defined by the branding you put out there and the feedback of its users. It should not be defined by the store you sell it in.

The same thing goes for a WSO. You are not selling a WSO. You are using the Warrior Special Offer forum to offer your product.

If you sold fishing poles in WalMart, would you tell people on the street that you have a "WalMart product" or would you say "I sell XYZ Fishing Poles, the greatest fishing poles on earth"? I think the later would do you more good.

What if Target asked to sell your line of poles at their store? Would you say, "No, they are a WalMart product." Of course you wouldn't! You would want your fishing poles sold in as many marketplaces as possible, with the most amount of exposure to different customers as you can get. It's common sense!

Unfortunately, that common sense has not made it to our world. Too many marketers place their product in one marketplace and let it die a fast death after their "launch". A smart marketer would place that product in as many marketplaces as they could, giving it maximum exposure to more potential customers and affiliates.

Successful marketing is not about releasing product after product, hoping to hit homeruns in between all the foul balls. It is about aiming for a homerun with every product you put out there.

It all comes down to goals. If you think small, you will always be small. If you think big, for yourself and the products you launch, you will be big. Stop thinking of your launches as the end of a long journey and start thinking of them as the beginning of a successful windfall that will support you for years to come.
#death #launch #product
  • Profile picture of the author M1chael
    The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Some of which I knew, and some I have come to understand through my own experiences. Well said.
    Signature

    Discover total local search optimization and mobile search domination in a step by step course!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380020].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winebuddy
    I couldn't have said it better (umm well - maybe I could have)... :-)

    The limited thinking in these IM MMO marketplaces is amazing. Some of the grteatest selling courses and products of all times are STILL SELLING. Not because they were "launched" and then relaunched with a different payment mechanism - but because they were branded from the beginning as the "best" or the "most" or the most "excellent" whatever there has ever been.

    The branding worked and had nothing to do with whether the purchaser was paying cash, check, CC, m.o. or whether the customer bought it at JC Penny or Walmart.

    It was the product itself that made the brand.

    There are a few EXCELLENT products that use Clickbank as their payment processor and affiliate program combined - and those products have been selling and been best sellers for YEARS - not just for 7 days.

    By the same token - there are people that have put products up here and they have continued selling week after week and month after month.

    just rambling - could say a lot more - but I just wanted to say it better :-)
    Signature
    birminghamshootingrange.comfor sale |"Knowledge is NOT power... ACTION on Knowledge is power"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380027].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by winebuddy View Post

      Some of the grteatest selling courses and products of all times are STILL SELLING. Not because they were "launched" and then relaunched with a different payment mechanism - but because they were branded from the beginning as the "best" or the "most" or the most "excellent" whatever there has ever been.
      Case in point: Doyle Brunson's book "Super System" is as old as dirt, but it was branded as THE poker bible and still sells like hotcakes. Imagine if he "launched" it and moved on to the next greatest thing!
      Signature
      My New Video Series is Free (for now)
      Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
      Get EBR 365 Now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380072].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Spencer
    Dude totally smart move here and I've said something similar for a long time now.

    Idk why people spend so much time and then never sell the product after the launch.

    Thats silly==> and that means you're in this for the "lotto ticket" mentality as opposed to a company.

    After our last 2 launches, I realized how absurd it was to make that surge of revenue that "put that product in the vault." I'm working on making that change with adding widespread affiliates all over the net.

    Thanks for bringing this up b/c it's totally true...

    Cheers,

    Brad
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theimdude
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    The same thing goes for a WSO. You are not selling a WSO. You are using the Warrior Special Offer forum to offer your product.
    .
    Disagree with you on the above as a WSO should always be a "Warrior Special Offer" aimed at warriors as a special only and not a item sold on the Warrior Special Offer forum. As if not the the WSO section will just be another walmart, amazon, ebay etc.

    Let us keep it as it was intended to be
    Signature
    Do you want 30 back-links in my PRIVATE BLOG network for ONLY $20 ???
    [LIMITED ACCESS + FREE ARTICLE INCLUDED OR YOUR OWN]

    CLICK HERE NOW
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380057].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by theimdude View Post

      Disagree with you on the above as a WSO should always be a "Warrior Special Offer" aimed at warriors as a special only and not a item sold on the Warrior Special Offer forum. As if not the the WSO section will just be another walmart, amazon, ebay etc.

      Let us keep it as it was intended to be
      WSO stands for Warrior Special Offer. It doesn't stand for the only place you can buy this. The rules are that the offer must be a better deal than what is available to the general public. I respect that and agree with it. I don't agree that it needs to be the exclusive place to get the product.
      Signature
      My New Video Series is Free (for now)
      Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
      Get EBR 365 Now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380085].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SteveFinch
      Originally Posted by theimdude View Post

      Disagree with you on the above as a WSO should always be a "Warrior Special Offer" aimed at warriors as a special only and not a item sold on the Warrior Special Offer forum. As if not the the WSO section will just be another walmart, amazon, ebay etc.

      Let us keep it as it was intended to be
      I understand that a WSO is an already existing product being sold, that is also offered to warriors at a special price.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380385].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
        Originally Posted by SteveFinch View Post

        I understand that a WSO is an already existing product being sold, that is also offered to warriors at a special price.
        That is correct.

        Originally Posted by Admin in WSO Advertising Rules

        3. A Warrior Special Offer Means The Price You Give Must Be Better Than The Price The Public At Large Can Get. (This is not a "buy my product" forum, it is a "Special Offer" forum)


        It doesn't say a WSO must be a product that is only offered here. It says it must have a better price than what is advertised to the public at large. The WSO forum is nothing more than another marketplace to list your product, just at a better price.
        Signature
        My New Video Series is Free (for now)
        Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
        Get EBR 365 Now!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moneymaker2012
    Really Awesome tip. I fully agree with you E. Brian. Because relaunching product costs alot and if one product can be sold many times on many marketplaces then why not
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380115].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Seth Bias
    EBR hits another home run. Everything you said is 100% true. Why always be in relaunch mode when you can just constantly sell. Great post as always!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author defaultuser
    You are my hero Brian. I remember asking a question about other platforms similar to a WSO here, and they deleted my thread.

    If you work hard and make a good product, why limit yourself? Serve your customers, make your product better, and keep going!

    Now I'm all excited.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380263].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dr Dan
      Originally Posted by defaultuser View Post

      You are my hero Brian. I remember asking a question about other platforms similar to a WSO here, and they deleted my thread.

      If you work hard and make a good product, why limit yourself? Serve your customers, make your product better, and keep going!

      Now I'm all excited.
      I just reported your post and it will be deleted too! lol

      But seriously....

      I couldnt agree more...

      Sell it everywhere!

      We are going to be putting our products in the dollar stores and thrift stores next

      Gonna make a killing!



      Now... if we could only get JV Zoo to work with the dollar store we would be golden. That way we could have affiliates promoting our launches there
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380322].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brian Tayler
    Good points. I defiantly agree.

    Dr Dan... start a digital dollar store and win big!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikecowles
    Hey EBR,

    Great points about the IM world. I think it's great that a ton of people are learning "how" to market, things like finding your audience, creating products, having scarcity, increasing value for more profits, etc. but you're absolutely right that the IM world is focused way too much on 'short term' profits vs building a long term empire.

    The good news is with the internet you can have both. Start your product with a sale/launch/wso etc., get feedback on making it better or conveying it's value better, then bring new customers in front of your offer with paid traffic and new affiliates. Now your sales take less time and effort and you can scale your profits to reach your goals.

    Talk to you soon.

    Mike. <><
    Signature
    FREE Countdown Software for warriors here. (No Opt-in Needed)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380597].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by mikecowles View Post

      The good news is with the internet you can have both. Start your product with a sale/launch/wso etc., get feedback on making it better or conveying it's value better, then bring new customers in front of your offer with paid traffic and new affiliates.
      Ah, paid traffic. That is the subject of my next brain puke
      Signature
      My New Video Series is Free (for now)
      Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
      Get EBR 365 Now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulKlein
    Good and proper points, EBR!

    What many fail to see is that all of these platforms are exactly what they are - platforms for getting your product visible and understood.

    I agree, too many "marketers" have blinders on that they focus solely in how they can cram a bunch of so-called "affiliates" and "partners" to blast for them when they "launch" a WSO, and think, "Wow! I made $5K my first day! I've made the big time!". Get a clue.

    Either you are a business owner growing your business, and IF you have decent products to offer, you promote utilizing a variety of venues - BUT only said venues that would match your target audience. I would not be selling Waterford Crystal or the Hope Diamond at Dollar Tree.

    A bigger vision would be that I am growing businesses daily with the goal of selling said businesses. THAT would net you some better deals...
    Signature

    Paul Klein
    Transcription Services
    InternetTranscribers

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6380616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cali16
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    The same thing goes for a WSO. You are not selling a WSO. You are using the Warrior Special Offer forum to offer your product.
    Excellent points, EBR. Now, if only more WSO sellers would truly grasp the above statement, what a difference that would make!
    Signature
    If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6381132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brandon Tanner
    Great points overall, Brian. But depending on the merchant's goals, the following info may not always be the best advice...

    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    A smart marketer would place that product in as many marketplaces as they could, giving it maximum exposure to more potential customers and affiliates.
    If a merchant has multiple different payment options for a single product (each of which correlate to a different affiliate platform), that is going to scare away some of the better affiliates that would otherwise want to promote the product (because affiliates know that if a customer goes through their affiliate link, yet they wind up purchasing via a different platform, the referring affiliate won't get credit for the sale). That's a major "leak".

    Of course if the merchant wants to be sneaky about it and use multiple different websites and/or product names (all for the same product), then that may help somewhat. But that won't fool any affiliate who's spent more than 5 minutes researching the product.

    I'm not saying that either option is better or worse. Just giving some food for thought for anyone considering using multiple payment processors / affiliate platforms for a single product.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6381183].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by Brandon Tanner View Post

      Great points overall, Brian. But depending on the merchant's goals, the following info may not always be the best advice...

      If a merchant has multiple different payment options for a single product (each of which correlate to a different affiliate platform), that is going to scare away some of the better affiliates that would otherwise want to promote the product (because affiliates know that if a customer goes through their affiliate link, yet they wind up purchasing via a different platform, the referring affiliate won't get credit for the sale). That's a major "leak".
      Oh man, that's not what I meant at all! I would never suggest having multiple buy buttons from different platforms on the same sales page. Those leaks would certainly piss off affiliates, and rightfully so!

      If you are listing a product with two or more different networks, you absolutely need separate sales pages for each buy button!
      Signature
      My New Video Series is Free (for now)
      Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
      Get EBR 365 Now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6382694].message }}
  • The thing is that the IM (MMO) niche is too focused on the "make a quick buck out of an averagish product" mentality, thus the Product Launch formula fits that mentality.

    Most IM'ers (regardless of their size) seem to prefer a quick burst of income rather than slow-but-sustainable revenue. You know: put together (even outsource) a quick so-so'ish product, roll out a hypey product launch, cash out, let your list/affiliates rest for a lil'while, create your next so-so'ish quick product, rinse and repeat.

    I guess it's an easier model for most IM'ers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6381337].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rob-jones
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    There are problems with the mentality of many Internet marketers in these parts.

    Let's start with the "Launch".

    The very meaning of the word indicates the start of something, but in many IM circles, it actually means the end of something. For example, you spend months on the creation of a product, hire a JV manager to recruit affiliates, put together your sales funnel, and then... launch. The sales roll in for a few days. You make several thousand dollars and then you either close the offer or let it sit and collect dust. Your affiliates then move onto the next big thing and the marketer usually starts thinking about his next "launch".
    Love it...couldn't agree with you more. Launching WSO after WSO is a bit like a crack addiction. You'll always be looking for that next fix.

    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    Another scenario is the "Move to ClickBank". I had a chat with a JV Manager today about a very successful product being sold in one of the marketplaces. He said he and his client were very happy with the results and are excited that the "launch" still had five days left. Huh? What do you mean, I asked him. He said the product will become a "ClickBank product" after five days.

    A ClickBank Product? What the heck is that?

    ClickBank is an affiliate marketplace and payment processor. They are not what defines your product. Your product should be defined by the branding you put out there and the feedback of its users. It should not be defined by the store you sell it in.
    Sorry man, but I gotta disagree with you on this one. Like it or not, your product is defined by where you sell it.

    If you move to the Clickbank marketplace, you open up tons of doors. Affiliates that would never even consider promoting a WSO will now promote your product, and they have much bigger lists and much more clout. I'm talking guys that can single-handedly send 100s of thousands of clicks and create thousands of sales. You just don't get that in the Warrior Forum.

    There's a reason you don't hear about 7-figure WSO launches. It's just not plausible.

    If you're sending that volume of traffic, you need full control over your sales environment. You need to be hosting your sales page on your own servers, and optimizing every aspect of your funnel and conversion rates...oh, and not handing every one of your new leads over to your payment processor to promote their products. That may work in the smaller world of WSOs but not for a real business.

    In my opinion, WSOs are best for testing out the market for your product before considering scaling it up to a broader market.

    Otherwise, you're just offering your product at a discounted price, and that means it's on the decline...in other words, it is about ready to die.

    I say treat your WSOs as beta launches, rather than thinking of the WSO forum like Walmart.
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    The same thing goes for a WSO. You are not selling a WSO. You are using the Warrior Special Offer forum to offer your product.

    If you sold fishing poles in WalMart, would you tell people on the street that you have a "WalMart product" or would you say "I sell XYZ Fishing Poles, the greatest fishing poles on earth"? I think the later would do you more good.
    Let's face it...if you have the greatest fishing pole on earth, WalMart is the last place you'd sell it.

    There's a reason you don't see Rolex selling their stuff in WalMart...it's because they don't have a "Walmart product."

    Where you sell DOES define your product.

    Realistically, most products DO go to Walmart to die, because once you're there, you're never going to be able to sell your product for what you used to sell it, and you'll have trouble getting distribution anywhere else after that. That's just the facts of life.

    For example, I used to have a "job" getting products listed on big websites, and many stores won't even carry your product on their website if it's listed on Amazon, because they know they can never compete. It's not worth the administrative costs for them to list your product knowing they'll always be outsold on price.

    Once your product hits Walmart, you DO have a "Walmart product" in the eyes of every other retailer out there, and you've hit the bottom of the barrel in terms of distribution. Nobody will be able to compete anymore, and as soon as it stops selling at Walmart, they'll drop you, and good luck with sales after that.

    Not to say it's not worth getting your product into Walmart, because you'll still make a boatload of cash due to their distribution, but you're never going to be able to get the higher prices for your products after that.
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    What if Target asked to sell your line of poles at their store? Would you say, "No, they are a WalMart product." Of course you wouldn't! You would want your fishing poles sold in as many marketplaces as possible, with the most amount of exposure to different customers as you can get. It's common sense!
    Target doesn't just ask to sell your line of poles at their store. That's not how the world works.

    You approach Target and ask them to sell your poles in their store. Then, for most products that don't already have a massive, well-known brand, if they see that you are already selling your product at Walmart, there's a good chance they wouldn't bother selling your product, because they don't want to fill up their valuable shelf space with a product that's selling for less elsewhere.

    As an information marketer, I don't think the goal is getting your product into as many marketplaces as possible.

    That's what you do with commodities like milk or toothpaste, not information. The second your product is viewed as a commodity, you're screwed, because all that matters is price.

    Works fine for toothpaste...not information products.
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    Unfortunately, that common sense has not made it to our world. Too many marketers place their product in one marketplace and let it die a fast death after their "launch". A smart marketer would place that product in as many marketplaces as they could, giving it maximum exposure to more potential customers and affiliates.
    I agree and disagree. If you have a legitimate product, you definitely shouldn't let it die a fast death after your launch. Move onto the next phase and scale it up.

    However, listing it in multiple marketplaces at different prices is really not plausible in this day and age of the internet. People will get pissed off when they find out they just paid more for your product than they had to, and it will end up harming your brand.

    If you're going to offer your product at a discount on the Warrior Forum, in my opinion, it needs to be a limited time offer, not a perpetual thing, because you're shooting yourself in the foot if you have it for sale in multiple marketplaces at different prices.
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    Successful marketing is not about releasing product after product, hoping to hit homeruns in between all the foul balls. It is about aiming for a homerun with every product you put out there.

    It all comes down to goals. If you think small, you will always be small. If you think big, for yourself and the products you launch, you will be big. Stop thinking of your launches as the end of a long journey and start thinking of them as the beginning of a successful windfall that will support you for years to come.
    Absolutely agree! Running your business on the premise of launching WSO after WSO is thinking very small...instead they should be the launch point of something big!

    Good topic!
    Signature

    Traffic is easy...CONVERSION IS THE REAL ART

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6381524].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Harry B
      Brian,

      I thought this was excellent - it actually opened my eyes. You're totally right, most people focus on creating products and not WSOs.

      I'm going to actually brainstorm now on ways that I can promote my offers off of the forum. I guess I've been a bit short sighted to focus on one method of monetization.

      Good job opening my eyes mate,

      Harith
      Signature

      Follow Along: My Social Media Funnel
      Your feedback is appreciated!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6381550].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by rob-jones View Post

      Love it...couldn't agree with you more. Launching WSO after WSO is a bit like a crack addiction. You'll always be looking for that next fix.
      Great debate, Rob, but of course I have to come back at ya

      Like it or not, your product is defined by where you sell it.
      Not in a digital world. You will certainly have better opportunities to partner with affiliates in some places, but that should not limit you to just that one marketplace.

      If you're sending that volume of traffic, you need full control over your sales environment. You need to be hosting your sales page on your own servers, and optimizing every aspect of your funnel and conversion rates.
      Absolutely agree with this. Not sure where you got that I thought otherwise.

      Otherwise, you're just offering your product at a discounted price, and that means it's on the decline...in other words, it is about ready to die.
      I disagree with that. We spent a whole semester doing case studies on sales and special offers. I can assure you that almost all companies offer discounts on their products at some point, whether it be seasonal or just to get a bump in their quarterlies... and that goes for both, the manufacturer level and consumer level.

      Let's face it...if you have the greatest fishing pole on earth, WalMart is the last place you'd sell it.
      You're just arguing semantics here. It was just an example.

      There's a reason you don't see Rolex selling their stuff in WalMart...it's because they don't have a "Walmart product."
      If the typical WalMart customer could afford and would buy a Rolex, the Rolex would sell there. I will bet donuts to dollars that if WalMart put an order for a thousand Rolex watches, the fine folks in Switzerland would not turn them down.

      Where you sell DOES define your product.
      No it doesn't. Most manufacturers will sell their product to any legitimate store. It's the stores that know their clientele and whether or not their customers are interested or have the funds to purchase said products.

      Realistically, most products DO go to Walmart to die
      There are many a product that are born on the WalMart shelves and live long, profitable lives, both at WalMart and at other stores. Also, I hardly think Sony, Apple, LG, Gateway, and other big name manufacturers are in jeopardy of dying, just because their products are sold at WalMart.

      For example, I used to have a "job" getting products listed on big websites, and many stores won't even carry your product on their website if it's listed on Amazon, because they know they can never compete. It's not worth the administrative costs for them to list your product knowing they'll always be outsold on price.
      You flip-flopped from brick and mortar to online. My analogy was about product being sold in a brick and mortar. This story is about online shops, which is a much different beast. You can't do a real time search for a cheaper product while you are walking down the aisles of a store. That is why many of the products you see on the shelves, won't be found on the websites.

      The WalMart analogy has really set you off. In hindsight, it wasn't really a good analogy at all, since I was talking about marketplaces that charge you to sell on their platform, rather than actual stores, like WalMart. Can we stop with the WalMart now?

      Target doesn't just ask to sell your line of poles at their store. That's not how the world works. You approach Target and ask them to sell your poles in their store.
      Ok, one last answer to the big box stores analogy. While most of the time you have to pitch your product, most retailer chains do have shoppers. The shoppers approach manufacturers about adding their product to their inventory. In fact, I was approached by a big box store about having them stock my brand of hearing aids. Unfortunately, the lawyers were afraid it would go against FDA regulations and it ended up a no go, but the point is, they approached me.

      As an information marketer, I don't think the goal is getting your product into as many marketplaces as possible. That's what you do with commodities like milk or toothpaste, not information. The second your product is viewed as a commodity, you're screwed, because all that matters is price.
      What you are forgetting is that the marketplaces I am talking about are services you pay to be listed in. You also control the price of your products. If you wanted to keep your products at a certain price, no matter where it is sold, you can do so.

      (side note: You can also do this with brick and online and b&m retailers. Apple products are the same price, no matter where you buy them, whether it's WalMart or the Apple store.)

      If you have a legitimate product, you definitely shouldn't let it die a fast death after your launch. Move onto the next phase and scale it up.
      This sums up the point I was trying to make with the original post. Sheesh, it took you a long time to get there!

      However, listing it in multiple marketplaces at different prices is really not plausible in this day and age of the internet. People will get pissed off when they find out they just paid more for your product than they had to, and it will end up harming your brand.
      Once again, in the marketplaces I am talking about, you control the pricing, rendering this argument moot.

      If you're going to offer your product at a discount on the Warrior Forum, in my opinion, it needs to be a limited time offer, not a perpetual thing, because you're shooting yourself in the foot if you have it for sale in multiple marketplaces at different prices.
      I agree with this, although, technically you can charge a penny less and not run into that situation. It goes against the spirit of the WSO forum, but certainly is within the rules.

      Good topic!
      And good debate, Rob. You're a smart guy... you just need a hair cut.

      Signature
      My New Video Series is Free (for now)
      Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
      Get EBR 365 Now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6382651].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rob-jones
        Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

        Great debate, Rob, but of course I have to come back at ya
        I wouldn't expect anything less...

        Alright, I'll drop my Walmart obsession...there's an analogy that went horribly wrong

        I think your main point is absolutely dead on. In fact, I couldn't have said it any better than the way you cleverly worded your title...well put!

        Most of the side discussion is not all that important in my opinion.

        However, the side point of yours that surprised me most was your take on the "move to Clickbank." I think it's completely valid for your WSO to become a "Clickbank product" at some point.

        I do think "Clickbank products" are in a totally different ballpark than WSOs.

        First of all, the target audience is way different, so your marketing message has to be much different. In WSO threads, you're essentially marketing to marketers. In the Clickbank marketplace however, you're marketing more to a mass appeal audience...which makes a huge difference.

        If you crafted your Clickbank sales page like your WSO sales thread, it would bomb in the Clickbank marketplace...just ask all the successful WSO creators who have tried to use their WSO sales tactics and failed with their Clickbank launches.

        Second of all, the affiliate pool over at Clickbank is much larger, so your reach is broader, and the guys with the massive general biz-op lists will promote your product (if it converts). This means the guys who can single-handedly drive $5000 in sales DAILY might possibly promote your product. I think that's worth a mention, because that doesn't happen in the world of WSOs.

        So when someone says they have a WSO or they have a Clickbank product, I think there's a big difference.

        And if you were moving onto a Clickbank launch, you'd be a fool to continue to offer your product as a WSO while running your launch.

        Here's my ideal product progression:

        Internal Launch > WSO Beta Launch > Large Scale Clickbank Affiliate Launch (or other similar platform) > Continued Affiliate Support & Paid Traffic Funnels
        Signature

        Traffic is easy...CONVERSION IS THE REAL ART

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6382979].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
          Originally Posted by rob-jones View Post

          I think your main point is absolutely dead on. In fact, I couldn't have said it any better than the way you cleverly worded your title...well put!
          The beautiful thing about chat forums is that I can quote only the parts I like and pretend the rest isn't there.
          Signature
          My New Video Series is Free (for now)
          Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
          Get EBR 365 Now!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6385898].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author rob-jones
            Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

            The beautiful thing about chat forums is that I can quote only the parts I like and pretend the rest isn't there.
            Marketing at its best
            Signature

            Traffic is easy...CONVERSION IS THE REAL ART

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6386048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Challendge
    Very entertaining and insightful debate, Brian and Rob!
    Brian, does your signature implies that you are affiliated in some way to JVZoo or that you find it helpful and are promoting it?
    I do believe that there is much, much more out there other than just running a WSO and it's definitely a massive waste of time to keep letting products collect dust while creating the next one.
    Convenience is a big factor here. Some people only know the Warrior Forum! For them to expand their horizons is too much work in their minds so they just keep going with the rinse and repeat formula while never reaching out to find other income streams outside of the WSO section.

    Another thing to consider is that, and I just realized this recently, not everyone wants to think big! They'd rather think medium and they're happy with that. In the meantime, you and I and others are trying to take over the world with really big goals and dreams! It's a part of life
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6386099].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by Challendge View Post

      Very entertaining and insightful debate, Brian and Rob!
      Brian, does your signature implies that you are affiliated in some way to JVZoo or that you find it helpful and are promoting it?
      Both! I am the co-founder and I promote it because I find it helpful. I'm not just the hair club president, I'm also a client. (maybe some of you are too young to remember that one)

      Another thing to consider is that, and I just realized this recently, not everyone wants to think big!
      That is very true. Some people just want the simple business life. Others just want a 9 to 5 job that has no responsibility and no chance of growth. As much as I couldn't imagine thinking that way, I don't see anything wrong with that. If there weren't ditch diggers, no ditches would get dug. You can find honor in anything.
      Signature
      My New Video Series is Free (for now)
      Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
      Get EBR 365 Now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6386246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stefan S
    Thanks man,

    some great reading

    ---
    Stefan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6386621].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim_Carter
    Yeah that is great insight. Hadn't thought of it much as I look at all my stuff long term.

    But yeah - some have it bass ackwards.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6387611].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6387671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndyBlackSEO
    I think that a "launch" should be used to put your product on the map. Say if you launch a product and sell 1,000 copies within a few days. Great... a nice return on your invested time and/or money and 'hopefully' a large number of happy customers who some of which will spread the word on your product... or even maybe promote it.

    Launches are a vital part of a products life. It's the 'leg up' that products need. But it's how we then use that exposure and initial kick-start to move the product forward like businesses would with 'tangible' products.

    good example of this is the famouse 'Abs' ebook. That guy has sold millions of copies and has become extremely wealthy as a result of this. After a number of years he is still focusing on that product and still selling huge numbers of that ebook each month.

    If you have a good product... work with it.
    Signature
    The Worlds Most Effective Video Creation and Marketing Software... CLICK HERE ...
    ... Create and rank professional marketing videos fast and efficiently.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6388008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stockcertified
    Feeling good to just launch a product (Black Book Trading) this week on JVZoo with Brian Rose being so respected here. But Dr Dan has got a good point that after all affiliates make there 75% cut on this $47.00 product. Its time to bring it to the dollar store.
    Signature

    Get Stock Certified Now! Social Media Tools to Trade Stocks With 87.54% Accuracy! Earn 75% to 100% commission on $97 membership. JV Invite Page for ad swaps, webinars & content requests.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6388668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sanjx01
    You'd think that this would be common sense.

    But as the anecdote goes - common sense isn't so common!

    Thanks for an awesome post EBR!

    ~S
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6402035].message }}

Trending Topics