Copying Internet Content Help Please

17 replies
I need help in regards to taking articles and videos off the internet.

I am wondering what are the rules in terms of taking information off of websites to post on your own website.

I currently have a woodworking website and want to post like how to videos and articles ... am I allowed to use information from another website and put it on my website? can i do it if I say where I got it from?

Your help is appreciated!!

Thanks
#content #copying #internet
  • Profile picture of the author TheArticlePros
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7101926].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author critterman
      Originally Posted by JaRyCu View Post

      Using other people's work is the same no matter the medium. If you're using text/articles/reports/ebooks, make sure and see if the site you're pulling the info from has any terms and conditions or if the author has created an author box. If not, go to a site like BibMe: Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian - Free and create a reference and post it at the bottom of your article.

      Videos are a little easier. You can grab a simple plugin for WordPress and display YouTube videos. They're automatically linked back to YouTube, where the author gets credit.

      -- j

      Thanks so much for this I really appreciate it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7101937].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KirkMcD
      Originally Posted by JaRyCu View Post

      If not, go to a site like BibMe: Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian - Free and create a reference and post it at the bottom of your article.
      You just can't copy something from a website and create a link back to it as a reference. It's still copyright infringement.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7103842].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Berkinb
        Of course, taking and using content from other people's websites without permission is illegal + unethical.

        But if the website is something like EzineArticles and such, you can publish the content on your site legally as long as you don't remove the links, author boxes, etc. After all, that's why those sites exist and anyone who sends content agrees to their conditions.

        Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post

        You just can't copy something from a website and create a link back to it as a reference. It's still copyright infringement.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7103877].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
      JaRyCu, here are some rules of thumb:

      1. The woodworking information is copyrighted. Period. Doesn't matter if there are terms and conditions, an author box, or anything else of the sort. It is copyrighted unless you see a written statement by the author saying it is not copyrighted or is subject to being licensed, such as a creative commons license (rare).

      2. You cannot legally copy information by giving a reference to where you stole it from.

      3. There can be a "fair use" defense to copyright infringement for certain uses or short quotes. Keep in mind news reporting is in a much different category from someone creating their own commercial woodworking site by ripping the content from competing woodworking experts.

      4. For YouTube videos, per the website terms and common sense, if the video creator posts the video on YouTube and allows embedding, there is a license to embed the video on your site.

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7105317].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goindeep
      Originally Posted by JaRyCu View Post

      Using other people's work is the same no matter the medium. If you're using text/articles/reports/ebooks, make sure and see if the site you're pulling the info from has any terms and conditions or if the author has created an author box. If not, go to a site like BibMe: Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian - Free and create a reference and post it at the bottom of your article.

      Videos are a little easier. You can grab a simple plugin for WordPress and display YouTube videos. They're automatically linked back to YouTube, where the author gets credit.

      -- j
      That's it.

      Information is information.

      You are allowed to share it so long as you link back to it and reference it properly. Most webmasters and bloggers will appreciate you using their content so long as you link back to them.

      Creative content can be a little different. Think music videos. If usin a third party site like youtube the videos will either be created under the creative commons license in which case you can search for these videos and use them however you want so long as you arn't claiming ownership otherwise and "copyrighted" content can be embedded only via youtube, so you shouldn't download and then re-upload without permission.

      You may want to look at content curation services.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7108292].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        The only person to listen to here on this topic is Kindsvater - he's the expert legal eagle.

        Don't be quick to take advice that tells you what you want to hear. The copied article on the woodworking site seems to be gone - not true with the other site but it may be PLR for all I know.

        If you know woodworking - write about what you know. People want to read real information - not just blurbs published everywhere. Write reviews of your favorite tools, give tips on how to do some basic woodworking tasks or how to do them better. That's what will make your site a destination site. Create a balance of providing informative copy and promoting products.
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world -
        but the world will be forever changed for that one dog.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112422].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author critterman
          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          The only person to listen to here on this topic is Kindsvater - he's the expert legal eagle.

          Don't be quick to take advice that tells you what you want to hear. The copied article on the woodworking site seems to be gone - not true with the other site but it may be PLR for all I know.

          If you know woodworking - write about what you know. People want to read real information - not just blurbs published everywhere. Write reviews of your favorite tools, give tips on how to do some basic woodworking tasks or how to do them better. That's what will make your site a destination site. Create a balance of providing informative copy and promoting products.

          Wow Kay King that is actually the most useful and helpful advice and information I have yet received in WF Thank you so much. BTW I have never copied articles what you have read on both my I Am Working From Home Website and Woodworking website were both PLR's.

          I really appreciate you taking time to help an newbie it means alot to me
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scsheldon33
    In terms of SEO, does Google actually look at the citation/reference you made to where you got the article from? I ask this because isn't it a known fact that posting copied articles on your website can get you slapped in the SERPS? Just wondering?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7104105].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheArticlePros
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7104138].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        I looked at his links - and he's already taken content from other sites and published it as his own. As he claims to know woodworking...he needs to write his own informative content about the topic.

        The OP needs to stop and read up on copyright, trademark, DMCA, etc. I am concerned at the number of people who think building websites means finding what they want online and using it without permission or concern.

        Read the TERMS of article directories and give proper credit - use YouTube videos that allow embedding. Don't steal content from other sites.

        A DMCA could take his site down - copyright infringement on a graphic found on another site could result in a big bill for $$$.
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world -
        but the world will be forever changed for that one dog.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7104551].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author scsheldon33
        Originally Posted by JaRyCu View Post

        I either need more coffee this morning, or everyone else reading this thread does. Let's go under the assumption that it's me, though, since that's less confrontational and probably closer to the truth.

        When I read the OP last night, I inferred that he wants to take select information, not entire pages, use them on his site, and then include the proper attribution back to the original writer/creator.

        Sheldon, posting someone else's work to your site after it's indexed will do you no favors at all unless you're trying to create your own article directory. It takes 10-15 minutes, on average, to write out a 500-1000 word blog entry, and it takes about that amount of time to find an article, copy it, paste it, format it, and publish it, so why would you waste the time on copying someone else's work?

        -- j
        The OP did not specify that he would just use select information or snippets of a certain articles. This is what he actually said.

        "want to post like how to videos and articles ... am I allowed to use information from another website and put it on my website? can i do it if I say where I got it from?"

        This means whole articles. So, your inference is not accurate I gather. And this is the reason why I asked the question. Basically, what he wants to do is to populate his blog with content, content that he found on the net. He plans to give credit to the author. So my question is that if he puts some kind of citation to the author, does Google actually honor this or will they penalize your site for dupe content? If he puts a link back to the original article/site, will Google see that in good faith and not penalize him? This will look like he has helped the author syndicate his work, right?

        Any thoughts?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7105279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author critterman
    Wow lots of great posts Thanks guys!!

    I looked at his links - and he's already taken content from other sites and published it as his own. As he claims to know woodworking...he needs to write his own informative content about the topic.

    The OP needs to stop and read up on copyright, trademark, DMCA, etc. I am concerned at the number of people who think building websites means finding what they want online and using it without permission or concern.

    Read the TERMS of article directories and give proper credit - use YouTube videos that allow embedding. Don't steal content from other sites.

    A DMCA could take his site down - copyright infringement on a graphic found on another site could result in a big bill for $$$.


    I have not copied any material as of yet (that I am aware of or did intentionally)I am new to this so I prefer to ask questions before doing something wrong or upsetting someone.

    JaRyCu - So I think you got what I was asking. I was not talking about taking whole articles from competing websites that I could have figured would not be a good idea or ethical. But by the sounds of everyone it just sounds like a bad idea to take anything from anywhere lol

    Sheldon, posting someone else's work to your site after it's indexed will do you no favors at all unless you're trying to create your own article directory. It takes 10-15 minutes, on average, to write out a 500-1000 word blog entry, and it takes about that amount of time to find an article, copy it, paste it, format it, and publish it, so why would you waste the time on copying someone else's work?


    And ya your absolutely right and I appreciate everyone's comments and advise like I said I am not trying to be dishonest or lazy or sneaky I just want to work smart and don't want to do anything bad or dishonest.

    Oh btw I don't know what you meant by you think I changed my sig cuz I haven't touched it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7108268].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Horny Devil
    Banned
    OP, this is what would happen if you used my content without permission . . .





    . . so . . .


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112795].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Good example, clearly, the axe in hand is a double honed variety and good for....

      See how easy it is to write about tools....
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world -
      but the world will be forever changed for that one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7113347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author glowworm
    Banned
    It's plagiarism whichever way you look at it unless you have express written permission, or a disclaimer at the source informs you it's ok to use.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7113445].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Andrei Rotariu View Post

      That's it.

      Information is information.

      You are allowed to share it so long as you link back to it and reference it properly. Most webmasters and bloggers will appreciate you using their content so long as you link back to them.

      Creative content can be a little different. Think music videos. If usin a third party site like youtube the videos will either be created under the creative commons license in which case you can search for these videos and use them however you want so long as you arn't claiming ownership otherwise and "copyrighted" content can be embedded only via youtube, so you shouldn't download and then re-upload without permission.

      You may want to look at content curation services.
      Andrei, have you ever read a Creative Commons license? There isn't one CC license which says you can use CC-licensed content however you want as long as you don't claim it.

      There are actually several different CC licenses, with different permissions under each license.

      About The Licenses - Creative Commons

      Make sure the license granted matches the intended use...

      Originally Posted by Horny Devil View Post

      OP, this is what would happen if you used my content without permission . . .





      . . so . . .


      HD, I assume you have the proper permission to post those graphics here? If not, the irony is ridiculous...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7113714].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MA Robinson
    It is always unethical to just get contents from another website without asking permission first. But if you are really inclined on using that content, ask for their permission first. If you want to use the video and you are planning to embed their link on your website, they just might allow you to use their content. Always remember proper attribution if the content is not yours. Just my two cents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114733].message }}
  • Depending on the site you want to get the content, you may have to read their term and their conditions. In the general case you have to get the permission of the owner.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7116387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Busal
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10689618].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author salegurus
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10689736].message }}

Trending Topics