Mailchimp & Affliate Links Question Finally Answered

11 replies
I have read so many threads asking which is the best autoresponder and many have questioned the viability of MailChimp, saying it does not allow affiliate links.

From the horses mouth - IT DOES allow affiliate links but will not allow them to blacklisted sites. Sounds pretty fair to me.

Does MailChimp Ban Affiliate Links? | MailChimp.com
#affliate #answered #finally #links #mailchimp #question
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by bizwebman View Post

    Sounds pretty fair to me.
    It was doubtless designed to sound pretty fair. That's why they've published it, isn't it? It's a shame it so clearly shouldn't be depended on, as so many people here have found out to their cost.

    Originally Posted by bizwebman View Post

    From the horses mouth
    Yes indeed. And that's the whole problem with that "information".

    That's the cause of the problem, not the solution to it!

    Unfortunately this doesn't even begin to answer the question.

    This isn't a question that can be answered by quoting something from Mailchimp's own site. It's a question which arises because what they actually do isn't consistent with the information they give on their own site. In other words, that "information" isn't true.

    That's why so many Warriors who have relied on that information and still got into trouble have commented about it, here.

    These posts/threads - and countless others - contain what appears to be very much more reliable information than what Mailchimp themselves say about the situation.

    Mailchimp not to be used for internet marketing?
    Mailchimp blocked my account
    Best free autoresponder
    If You're Wondering Whether to Use Mailchimp, This is For You
    Stay away from MailChimp - Read my story
    How do you feel about Free Auto Responders?
    MailChimp Improved? Versus Aweber, Imnica, Get Response
    FREE alternatives to aweber
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8580824].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fun to Write
    Take the information that Mailchimp gives at face value. I don't find their information deceptive in any way. They state outright that they are not a good choice for people that make affiliate marketing their main business model. If you do, then use another service.

    They are best for those that send out the occasional affiliate link. Seems simple to me.
    Signature

    Focus+Smart Work+Persistence=Success

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8580992].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SunilTanna
      Originally Posted by Fun to Write View Post

      Take the information that Mailchimp gives at face value. I don't find their information deceptive in any way. They state outright that they are not a good choice for people that make affiliate marketing their main business model. If you do, then use another service.

      They are best for those that send out the occasional affiliate link. Seems simple to me.
      Seems clear as mud to me

      They don't mind you doing it... probably... but don't do it too much - but where do they define what too much is.

      Seems like an attempt to have their cake and eat it.
      Signature
      ClickBank Vendor?
      - Protect Your Thank You Pages & Downloads
      - Give Your Affiliates Multiple Landing Pages (Video Demo)
      - Killer Graphics for Your Site
      SPECIAL WSO PRICES FOR WARRIORS + GET THE "CLICKBANK DISCOUNT" TOO!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8580999].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Fun to Write View Post

      Take the information that Mailchimp gives at face value.
      I'm very surprised indeed to see you recommending exactly the course of action which has led to so many Warriors having their accounts closed down by Mailchimp.

      I don't understand it at all. I can only imagine that either you're unaware of this, or perhaps you genuinely believe that all of them are making it up (for some mysterious reason best known to themselves)?!

      Originally Posted by Fun to Write View Post

      Take the information that Mailchimp gives at face value.
      Including this information? (Or just the parts that suit your perspective?) http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post3762385

      Maybe you see my point? They're giving conflicting information. Some on their website. Some with what their support staff say. Some with the way they close down people's accounts.

      The last two of those three match up perfectly, while the first one is totally different, isn't it?

      Do you still really think that "Take the information that Mailchimp gives at face value" is a helpful approach, here?!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8581022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fun to Write
    Hey...I'm not recommending anyone do anything except read what the company has posted. I would not use Mailchimp for any serious affiliate marketing. The company has decided against supporting that. I don't think my views of this conflict with yours on whether affiliate marketers should trust using Mailchimp.

    We diverge in opinion, apparently, on whether the company is being honest. I think they are. There is no conspiracy against affiliate marketers by Mailchimp. They don't support affiliate marketing the way most here do it. That's their right.

    So, Warriors that take on this risk get bad results.

    Solution: Use Aweber, Get Response or other affiliate friendly autoresponders.

    Use Mailchimp for other stuff.

    I'm glad the OP brought this up because after reading more on Mailchimp the company, I like them. Enough to use them for non-affiliate marketing promotion.

    Alexa, I'm guessing you'll never be clicking on their sign up button.

    It's cool.
    Signature

    Focus+Smart Work+Persistence=Success

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8581077].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesBorg
      Their acceptable use policy states otherwise:

      http://mailchimp.com/legal/acceptable_use/

      Nothing personal, but in order to maintain the highest delivery rates possible for all our customers, we can’t allow businesses that offer these types of services, products, or content:

      Escort and dating services
      Pharmaceutical products
      Work from home, make money on online, and lead generation opportunities
      Online trading, day trading tips, or stock market-related content
      Gambling services or products
      Multi-level marketing
      Affiliate marketing
      Credit repair and get out of debt opportunities
      Mortgages and loans
      Nutritional, herbal, and vitamin supplements
      Adult novelty items or references
      List brokers or list rental services
      Now, the knowledge-base article to which you've linked attempts to address this by drawing a much-too-fuzzy distinction between "affiliate marketing" and "affiliate marketers":

      Ah-hah! In your list of risky content, you say: "Affiliate Marketers." Busted!

      Heh. Well, we understand the confusion. If we could provide an extremely clear explanation we would. But the best we can do here is provide some example scenarios.

      [...]

      So what’s the problem with career affiliate marketers?
      Affiliate Market-ing vs. Affiliate Market-ers

      So we've hopefully established that affiliate links are not the problem, and that MailChimp has no philosophical issues with affiliate links. In a lot of cases, they're very helpful to authors who provide useful content to people who opted-in for that useful content. Now let's talk about when things "cross the line" over to a violation of our TOS (specifically, the “Affiliate Marketer” reference).

      [...]

      Let’s review

      Direct mail marketing is good. Direct Marketers are annoying.

      Affiliate marketing links can be good. Email is good. Affiliate marketers are annoying.

      In all cases, we have people who are just trying to make a living. No judgements. But when they overuse an -ing to become an -er, they also become annoying.
      That leaves some questions for anyone contemplating a MailChimp account:

      1. Do you really want to be with a provider who makes a fuzzy distinction between affiliate marketers and affiliate marketing and admits itself the distinction is fuzzy?

      2. Do you really want to be with a provider who apparently can't deal with the issues that other providers can deal with?

      3. On a minor note, do you really want to be with a provider whose left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing -- namely, do you really want to be with a provider who lists affiliate marketing as unacceptable in its policies, forgets it's done so and thinks it's listed affiliate marketers as unacceptable in its policies, and then launches into a defense of affiliate marketing?

      It's time marketers stop throwing their money at providers who are too interested in being anal policy wonks than virtual business partners.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8581458].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jrptr
    Affiliate marketing is perfectly acceptable with mailchimp as long as you do it through your newsletter and NOT directly. I hope that makes sense?
    Signature

    Get Instant Access To my Top 10 Blogging Tools & Resources dld.bz/fJH6e

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8581436].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by jrptr View Post

      Affiliate marketing is perfectly acceptable with mailchimp as long as you do it through your newsletter and NOT directly. I hope that makes sense?
      It doesn't make sense to me, and it clearly doesn't make sense to the large number of members of this forum whose Mailchimp accounts have been closed down without their being able to understand why, and it also doesn't make sense of what Mailchimp's own support staff openly tell people, either: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post3762385

      Apart from all that, of course, it makes complete sense.

      As ever, the whole subject is intrinsically circular/repetitive. This topic just bounced to life here (yet again) because someone mistakenly (albeit understandably, not knowing all the facts) imagined that the "information" on Mailchimp's site is new, or reliable, or "an answer", or something (rather than being part of the cause of the problem, as it has been for so long).

      These threads don't change the facts of the situation.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8581490].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jrptr
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        It doesn't make sense to me, and it clearly doesn't make sense to the large number of members of this forum whose Mailchimp accounts have been closed down without their being able to understand why, and it also doesn't make sense of what Mailchimp's own support staff openly tell people, either: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post3762385

        Apart from all that, of course, it makes complete sense.

        As ever, the whole subject is intrinsically circular/repetitive. This topic just bounced to life here (yet again) because someone mistakenly (albeit understandably, not knowing all the facts) imagined that the "information" on Mailchimp's site is new, or reliable, or "an answer", or something (rather than being part of the cause of the problem, as it has been for so long).

        These threads don't change the facts of the situation.
        After talking to their support a few months ago I was told that you are allowed to promote offers from within your newsletter (content within the newsletter) but not as a direct promotion and that is how I do it now.

        I even showed support my newsletter content for them to check out and they said it was fine to do it that way.

        I can only let you know what I have been told by their support!
        Signature

        Get Instant Access To my Top 10 Blogging Tools & Resources dld.bz/fJH6e

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8585616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brentb
    There are a million email services that allow affiliate marketing and will appreciate your business and NOT just close your account for no reason... why would you go to MailChimp? Oh yeah... free 2000 emails... got it! Seriously just pony up $10-20 and go someplace that wont close your account on you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8585804].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ineagu
      Originally Posted by brentb View Post

      There are a million email services that allow affiliate marketing and will appreciate your business and NOT just close your account for no reason... why would you go to MailChimp? Oh yeah... free 2000 emails... got it! Seriously just pony up $10-20 and go someplace that wont close your account on you.
      You are right Alex, for just $6.59 you can send 40.000 emails per month at https://www.mailinblue.com/ .
      Signature
      SendinBlue.com - Send 350,000 emails / month for $175
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8598567].message }}

Trending Topics