Anyone here still doing niche sites and doing well? Just looking for some motivation I guess.

36 replies
Hello Warriors,

Greetings!

As the thread title suggests, is any Warrior still building niche websites and doing well with them?

I'm sitting free today (and for the remainder of this week), and have a couple of niche keywords in mind that I'd like to dig further. While I do so, I just thought of putting up this thread to, maybe, get some motivation and reassurance that micro niche sites are still doing well, if at all.

Thanks in advance

EDIT/UPDATE: I had to change the title of the thread (removed the word MICRO). The kind of site I'm working on has 5-6 closed related keywords, and I'm looking at putting up 30-35 articles in total on these keywords for the time being. I'll definitely add more articles or keywords+articles depending on how it goes.

Method of monetisation will be AdSense. I might take the CPL route directly with merchants/vendors/professionals in this niche, once I see some traffic & AdSense dollars coming in.
#guess #micro #motivation #niche #sites
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    I still have one micro niche site. It makes like $100 a month at the most because it markets only one single product. I haven't updated it in over a year. I think if I put more effort into it it'd make more but I'm fine with that profit.

    Your plan is worth it..Happy writing.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8872109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    It's not as easy as it once was but if you have the SEO skills you can pull it off.

    I recommend taking a look at Niche Pursuits | Find Business Ideas, Niche Websites, and Much More! and checking out the Niche Site Projects posts there's a full overview of exactly what you need to do to rank small niche sites based around single product types.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8872153].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
      Originally Posted by Stuart Walker View Post

      It's not as easy as it once was but if you have the SEO skills you can pull it off.

      I recommend taking a look at Niche Pursuits | Find Business Ideas, Niche Websites, and Much More! and checking out the Niche Site Projects posts there's a full overview of exactly what you need to do to rank small niche sites based around single product types.
      I'm considering AdSense as my monetisation option. Also, I'll focus on at least 8 keywords (as closely related as possible, but branching out is a definite option), and can put up about 5 articles each. Interlinking between the articles will be done. What do you think? Still a workable (read: viable) plan?

      I'll check out NichePursuits though. Thanks for that one.
      Signature
      If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
      My Sample Articles
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8872330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
    2 articles written, each around 600 words. Page 1 looks like a lot of authority sites. 2 of them are YouTube videos. PR of the top 10 pages averages at 2 or 3, with only one having a PR of 0.

    I'm worried here, so could really use more motivation... and advice, of course.
    Signature
    If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
    My Sample Articles
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8875568].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    Affiliate programs tend to pay more than adsense so look into that.

    It's still viable to rank small niche sites for sure if you do your keyword research properly upfront and have the SEO skills.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8875603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kate Smith
    Micro niches were the internet craze for a while, not so much anymore. There were a few expensive courses and coaching programs on this a few years ago.

    My personal opinion is that the money on this topic was almost exclusively made in selling the course to internet marketers.

    You can still make a little from these sites but not nearly as much as those selling the idea made.

    Kate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876222].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author larryboy03
      There is still so much money to be made from niche websites, it all comes down to keyword research, find keywords with no competition in a profitable market and you can easily make decent money.

      There are so many untapped niches and more being created every day. Its better now than it was before because there is less spam in the top results, play by the rules and you wont crash and burn.

      I know someone who created a niche site a few months ago and is already making £300 per month and increasing, if people tell you it doesn't work, there wrong, so wrong.

      My latest one is couple months old and made £160 last month and this month is already doing better.

      Regards
      Signature
      Do you have a website making money and want to sell it? Contact me, I'm looking to buy sites monetized by Amazon and Adsense!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876241].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bretski
      Originally Posted by Kate Smith View Post

      Micro niches were the internet craze for a while, not so much anymore. There were a few expensive courses and coaching programs on this a few years ago.

      My personal opinion is that the money on this topic was almost exclusively made in selling the course to internet marketers.

      You can still make a little from these sites but not nearly as much as those selling the idea made.

      Kate
      That's weird... there's a guy that I know who is making 8 - 10K a month with niche sites as an affiliate for CB products
      Signature
      ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
      Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8881842].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kate Smith
    There is a big difference though between niche site and micro niche sites. The OP is asking about micro niche sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876255].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author larryboy03
      Originally Posted by Kate Smith View Post

      There is a big difference though between niche site and micro niche sites. The OP is asking about micro niche sites.
      They still work fine, most peoples problem is building stupid amount of backlinks targeting the exact same phrase which clearly give you negative seo and get penalized.

      Just guest post, get links from very high authority sites, links from a site with domain authority of 40+ and PR3+ will do much more than article directories and daft links like that.

      You don't need a lot of links to hit page 1, all about quality over quantity.
      Signature
      Do you have a website making money and want to sell it? Contact me, I'm looking to buy sites monetized by Amazon and Adsense!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876288].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
      Originally Posted by Kate Smith View Post

      There is a big difference though between niche site and micro niche sites. The OP is asking about micro niche sites.
      The kind of website I'm working on has "as of now" 5-6 closely related keywords, and I'm going to put up 30-40 articles for these 5-6 keywords alone. I do plan on expanding on these numbers, if I see some traction.

      What, in your opinion, are these, if I may ask? Niche sites or micro niche sites?
      Signature
      If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
      My Sample Articles
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8879063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HN
    Banned
    In order to answer your question I would need to search my database with some advanced filters
    Find websites (domains) that match the following criteria:
    Indexed pages < 25
    Domain authority (OSE) < 25
    Registeration date > 2012
    Top 10 results > 10

    I believe there are thousands of websites that match this criteria. Would this information be useful to spy on micro niche competitors? What filters would you use?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kate Smith
    Larry are you referring to Sniper types sites or something else?

    I think we are actually talking about 2 different things.

    Websites that have good content and are built up the right way will also have a chance to do well.

    I do believe that Google Sniper sites have nearly the same chance for success.

    In fact my college thesis was on comparing the 2. Out of 40 Google Sniper sites we made almost no money for the entire 6 months.

    When we built up niche sites with valuable content and kept building it up we did well.

    Kate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HN
    Banned
    I did a quick search and noticed that there are tens of thousands 'thin' websites (less than 10 indexed pages) that rank for at least one keyword on the 1st page of Google SERPs.

    These are not exactly niche sites, but I can use filters to find domains that have certain keywords in domain.



    And some 10 page sites hosted at cctld's
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kate Smith
    I'm going to expand upon this further because I was involved in a business coop with the brightest students in my university on the topic of internet products that work.

    It was a coop between the journalist majors(me) and the business majors. Our goal was to make money online, as well as trying out current products on the market.

    We had over 50 people assigned to make this project work.

    The Google Sniper sites made almost nothing and that is based on hard work from everyone in the coop.

    Creating niche sites with good content did extremely well. One of our websites was making $8.000 per month within the 6 months time frame. About 20% of our niche websites made nothing at all. Our income was made through adsense and Clickbank products.

    When the course ended we sold our websites on Flippa and we all got to share in the revenue. It was a great experience.

    I hope that helps.

    Kate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876353].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author larryboy03
      Originally Posted by Kate Smith View Post

      I'm going to expand upon this further because I was involved in a business coop with the brightest students in my university on the topic of internet products that work.

      It was a coop between the journalist majors(me) and the business majors. Our goal was to make money online, as well as trying out current products on the market.

      We had over 50 people assigned to make this project work.

      The Google Sniper sites made almost nothing and that is based on hard work from everyone in the coop.

      Creating niche sites with good content did extremely well. One of our websites was making $8.000 per month within the 6 months time frame. About 20% of our niche websites made nothing at all. Our income was made through adsense and Clickbank products.

      When the course ended we sold our websites on Flippa and we all got to share in the revenue. It was a great experience.

      I hope that helps.

      Kate
      If most didn't work then maybe you should have done your keyword research properly then.
      Signature
      Do you have a website making money and want to sell it? Contact me, I'm looking to buy sites monetized by Amazon and Adsense!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876364].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author larryboy03
        Look, I made this for my nephew a while back for a school project and made money from it and sold it.

        It had 5 pages of content.

        Still ranks 1 for an EMD too. It also makes more money now than it did when I had it.

        https://flippa.com/2959554-autopilot...-making-173-mo
        Signature
        Do you have a website making money and want to sell it? Contact me, I'm looking to buy sites monetized by Amazon and Adsense!!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876370].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author HN
          Banned
          Originally Posted by larryboy03 View Post

          Look, I made this for my nephew a while back for a school project and made money from it and sold it.

          It had 5 pages of content.

          Still ranks 1 for an EMD too. It also makes more money now than it did when I had it.

          https://flippa.com/2959554-autopilot...-making-173-mo
          Not that many keywords. I guess there are a lot of keywords with less than 400 monthly search volume that site is ranking for.

          Tadpole - Keyword list
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876416].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Badhog83
            Of Course it still works. You have to make sure youre spending enough time for keyword research. This will be the main factor if your site is working or not. So make sure to take ya time before setting up your pages.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8878254].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author efil4renots
          Originally Posted by larryboy03 View Post

          Look, I made this for my nephew a while back for a school project and made money from it and sold it.

          It had 5 pages of content.

          Still ranks 1 for an EMD too. It also makes more money now than it did when I had it.

          https://flippa.com/2959554-autopilot...-making-173-mo
          You were really able to make money of that site "whatdotadpoleseat"? or was I looking at the wrong thing? Or is that what a niche site is? I normally thought niche sites sold something?

          Thank-You for ANY responses!
          (please bare in mind tho, I am pretty new to this! haha)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8879171].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author larryboy03
            Originally Posted by efil4renots View Post

            You were really able to make money of that site "whatdotadpoleseat"? or was I looking at the wrong thing? Or is that what a niche site is? I normally thought niche sites sold something?

            Thank-You for ANY responses!
            (please bare in mind tho, I am pretty new to this! haha)
            Yes, I monetized it with Adsense then sold the site. That site was generating 30,000 uniques visitors at one point and then went down to 20,000-23,000 uniques monthly.

            You can make money from any website but your better promoting a product like I am doing now. My new niche site is getting 2,500 monthly uniques and earning more than the tadpole site is because I'm promoting expensive products.
            Signature
            Do you have a website making money and want to sell it? Contact me, I'm looking to buy sites monetized by Amazon and Adsense!!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8880614].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author heavysm
              Originally Posted by larryboy03 View Post

              If most didn't work then maybe you should have done your keyword research properly then.
              Originally Posted by Kate Smith View Post

              Larry again we are talking about different things. You created a website and worked on getting backlinks and built it up. It may be a matter of semantics but in my mind that is a perfect example of a niche website.
              When it comes to building sits I far prefer niche sites than micro niche sites. I was on the "just make x number of sites to make $10,000+ a month" bandwagon years ago. Just to think now if i had invested that time into creating just one really good niche site I would have reached my income goals A LOT faster.

              Even when you do proper keyword research people come and go in even the smallest niches all the time and you're likely to be bumped if you're not careful. This means building more sites to compensate rather than building up a single site so that over time it ends up being stronger than those tiny sites.

              The best sniper/ micro sites will rank high with little to no backlinks at all. But niche sites can be carried along by the content alone, which is pretty darn amazing in my mind. I have a few niche sites I've built up over the past year or so and even without creating a single backlink I am able to crank out 100's of visitors everyday in a crowded niche (it's weight loss, hard to get more crowded than that) making a few sales a day on a clickbank product.

              If i could redo everything I would stick to building a handful of quality niche sites versus making a ton of micro niche sites further dealing with XXX number of domain fees. Renewal isn't so bad since you're essentially letting go of the dead leads while renewing only those domains/sites that are profiting, but those registration fees add up especially if you're not immediately profiting lol

              Looking back I almost feel like a fool for going for hundreds and hundreds of tiny sites when that energy could have been put into making high quality niche sites. But it was a huge learning experience and now i wouldn't have it any other way
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8880637].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
                Originally Posted by heavysm View Post

                When it comes to building sits I far prefer niche sites than micro niche sites. I was on the "just make x number of sites to make $10,000+ a month" bandwagon years ago. Just to think now if i had invested that time into creating just one really good niche site I would have reached my income goals A LOT faster.

                Even when you do proper keyword research people come and go in even the smallest niches all the time and you're likely to be bumped if you're not careful. This means building more sites to compensate rather than building up a single site so that over time it ends up being stronger than those tiny sites.

                The best sniper/ micro sites will rank high with little to no backlinks at all. But niche sites can be carried along by the content alone, which is pretty darn amazing in my mind. I have a few niche sites I've built up over the past year or so and even without creating a single backlink I am able to crank out 100's of visitors everyday in a crowded niche (it's weight loss, hard to get more crowded than that) making a few sales a day on a clickbank product.

                If i could redo everything I would stick to building a handful of quality niche sites versus making a ton of micro niche sites further dealing with XXX number of domain fees. Renewal isn't so bad since you're essentially letting go of the dead leads while renewing only those domains/sites that are profiting, but those registration fees add up especially if you're not immediately profiting lol

                Looking back I almost feel like a fool for going for hundreds and hundreds of tiny sites when that energy could have been put into making high quality niche sites. But it was a huge learning experience and now i wouldn't have it any other way
                WOW. That's nice to know you've jumped onto what works better for you and something that you find to be "smarter".

                How do you traffic to your weight loss website? Do you do all the work yourself or is any of it outsourced? If yes, what kind of activities do you outsource? How much time do you spend per site per day?
                Signature
                If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
                My Sample Articles
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8880641].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author heavysm
                  Originally Posted by theultimate1 View Post

                  WOW. That's nice to know you've jumped onto what works better for you and something that you find to be "smarter".

                  How do you traffic to your weight loss website? Do you do all the work yourself or is any of it outsourced? If yes, what kind of activities do you outsource? How much time do you spend per site per day?
                  I drip fed the articles at about 1 every 3 days for the first few months then upped it to 1 every other day. Seems to have worked well for ranking for long tail keywords as well as some nifty 3 word phrases which bring in a lot of traffic.

                  I now outsource the articles since paying $10 every few days for a site that brings me close to $100/day isn't too bad

                  Regarding Victoria's 400 sites...that's a Herculean feat lol At my peak for micro niche sites I had over 150 and maybe 30 - 35 actually gave decent profit.

                  I don't do SEO and niche sites enough anymore so my handful of successful sites is enough for me.

                  One of my sites is actually has no product promoted directly on it at all. It's entire aim is to collect leads for my email list in that niche (this one is MMO/IM). So the site was created just sell the visitor on free information and the articles act as little teaser to join my list. Worked pretty darn well for me, and that was only an experiment just to "see" what would happen lol
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8881794].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author AffiliatingAlan
                    I think the concept of niche sites is like continuously throwing shit against the wall until something sticks.

                    A lot like women really, its a numbers game and the better you get or the smarter you are the better chance you stand.

                    I have dabbled in micro niche sites, macro and am currently making a macro niche site monetizing with affiliate and adsense.

                    I think initially your better off spreading yourself thin, contrary to what most say it seems you'll learn more this way. Then later on you can build more authoritve sites once skills are honed.

                    The big dogs are making 40-100k a month from niche sites.

                    Spencer hawes in racking in 20-40k per month solely from niches. This business can be completely ridiculous if you succeed.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8881816].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hattrick
      Niche sites will always work. It comes down to how well you can find the niches. To make good money, it necessary to have many mini sites. So, for example, if your niche site makes $100 per month, you can have 100 sites which collectively will earn you $10,000.00 per month. THAT's how real $$$$ is made from niche sites. It's all in the numbers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876394].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kate Smith
    Larry we had some of the best minds in the nation putting these together. Our business school is among the tops in the nation.

    Kate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kate Smith
    Larry again we are talking about different things. You created a website and worked on getting backlinks and built it up. It may be a matter of semantics but in my mind that is a perfect example of a niche website.

    Kate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kate Smith
    I do need to add 1 thing in here to be fair when we did the Sniper sites we did not do any backlinking to those websites at all.

    We simply followed the instructions for creating the websites.

    Kate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8876397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PeckhamPirate
    In my humble opinion, to make money from websites the most important thing you can do is spend time 'living as the site'.

    What do I mean?
    Well I sell mostly physical products, so it's really important for traffic that my sites show up in the 'conversation' as it were.
    For me that means plenty of associated online properties, like FB pages, Google listings, PInterest and Twitter accounts etc.

    In my experience (and I've been selling online since 2007) diving into a site and building up all the social stuff, then viewing, commenting, pinning, tweeting, etc etc as the 'voice of your site' is a vital part of my marketing.

    It's not hard, but it does take time, and for me that means running fewer sites.

    Once was a time when I ran thin, niche afiliate sites, but let's be honest, unless you're promoting very high ticket items, it usually pays less than minimum wage.

    So I completely changed my strategy with these niche affiliate sites, pulling back from the classic review and single product angle, to just add video content about the product category in very general terms, with just a couple of ads. (Much softer. Not as productive, but much less effort)

    Granted these sites rarely make me the same kind of money that they once did, but now they require virtually no maintenance, which is great as I find it almost impossible to ever 'ditch a domain', even when it's not performing.

    I digress.
    What I wanted to say, is that to make a site really successful nowadays, you need to invest not just time and effort, but also a little bit of your soul.

    For me that no longer means a set and forget, rinse and repeat strategy.
    Instead it means find my best performing sites, and concentrate on making them perform even better.

    In my case that means 'living as the site' for at least a couple of hours 2 or 3 times a week.

    Chasing keywords is a time-consuming and maddening process, my advice would be to avoid it if you can.
    Focus, Focus, Focus
    Signature
    Stylish, affordable web design, translation and copywriting.
    I'm available for hire...

    EnglishEffect.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8878324].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HN
    Banned
    About your articles. What is your native tongue? I don't care much about articles in English, but I could use content written in Hindi. Do you happen to know Sanskrit by any chance? I could use some help with the Vedas as well as any help building my language teaching software.
    And finally, are you interested in producing content for my Indian (*.in) domains/websites?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8879151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tristatemedia
    i think you are going to get many opinions on this.
    but remember you have to go very-ultra low competition keywords.
    main keyword 1000 searhes /month
    and build posts around it with very low competition keywords
    and keeping adding content...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8879292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    Loving the what do tadpoles eat site. Micro niche indeed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8880557].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fred67
    I put up a load of micro niche` sites a couple of years ago and they were showing up well in Google and making a few bob here and there. Since Google did it's revamps they disappeared completely
    They still get visits on a daily basis, but I suspect that's just the Spam-bots doing their rounds.

    Hope you have better luck -
    Signature
    Free E-book Library/Business Promotion Resources
    http://fred67.com/library
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8880653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    I have close to 400.

    Some tips:

    - 1 Product per site;
    - EMD;
    - White BG;
    - Clean Layout;
    - Minimum 15 articles (15 pages) and drip feed thereafter;
    - If you do adsense, make ads stand out, 1 per page, and use my other tips to avoid bounce rate and increase CTR;
    - Use mixture of text, images, and video;
    - Make site engaging (lowers bounce rate);
    - Pay for or write high-quality articles;
    - Ensure design is clean but not too pro - personal sites convert best (think of someone upkeeping a site where they're a fanatic about the product);
    - Contact, TOS, privacy policy, xml site map, site map;
    - Update weekly;
    - Social media integration.

    As far as SEO goes, that's actually very easy if you choose the right keyword. Think natural. 5 years ago, I used to rank these puppies in 48 hours like there was no tomorrow. Nowadays, due to all the algo changes, it takes longer and you have to optimize in a realistic manner. My best advice here is social signals. Why? Because you can actually go mad here and it still looks natural due to the fact that sites often go viral.

    You'd also do well to privacy block your domains, use different registrars, different hosting and IPs.
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8880658].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
      Originally Posted by Victoria Stone View Post

      I have close to 400.

      Some tips:

      - 1 Product per site;
      - EMD;
      - White BG;
      - Clean Layout;
      - Minimum 15 articles (15 pages) and drip feed thereafter;
      - If you do adsense, make ads stand out, 1 per page, and use my other tips to avoid bounce rate and increase CTR;
      - Use mixture of text, images, and video;
      - Make site engaging (lowers bounce rate);
      - Pay for or write high-quality articles;
      - Ensure design is clean but not too pro - personal sites convert best (think of someone upkeeping a site where they're a fanatic about the product);
      - Contact, TOS, privacy policy, xml site map, site map;
      - Update weekly;
      - Social media integration.

      As far as SEO goes, that's actually very easy if you choose the right keyword. Think natural. 5 years ago, I used to rank these puppies in 48 hours like there was no tomorrow. Nowadays, due to all the algo changes, it takes longer and you have to optimize in a realistic manner. My best advice here is social signals. Why? Because you can actually go mad here and it still looks natural due to the fact that sites often go viral.

      You'd also do well to privacy block your domains, use different registrars, different hosting and IPs.
      WOW. That's awesome. Thanks a BIG ton, Victoria.

      And 400 niche sites? Even more awesome. How much, on average, does each site make you per month (if I may ask)? Also, what methods of monetisation do you use? Is geo/city-specific targeting a factor in your chosen keywords?
      Signature
      If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
      My Sample Articles
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8881564].message }}

Trending Topics