I'm sure you guys have noticed that when you wake up with a lot of energy you will usually get more work done. Well that's because having a lot of energy is an integral part of staying productive and motivated throughout the day.
There's one problem however.
We naturally go through cycles of energy. We get a high and then we get a low. So how do we maintain higher levels of energy throughout the day?
1. Avoid sugars. As you may know, sugar gives you a strong, short burst of energy followed by an even stronger low. Avoiding sugars in your diet (which is basically junk food) will allow you to have more energy throughout the day and make you a bit healthier.
2. Eat more frequently. Try to have smaller meals at breakfast and lunch and snack in between them. Eating food gives us energy but a couple hours after the meal that energy wears off, eating more frequently allows us to maintain higher levels of energy throughout the day. As snacks I usually have some fruit (bananas and dates are my favourite), nuts etc.
3. Drink lots of water. This is just good for you in general and I find it makes me feel more awake.
4. Move around a lot. Every 45 minutes or so try to go for a quick walk around your house for 2 minutes, or do a stretch. It's not good for your body to sit in the same position for hours on end, it needs stimulation. So get up and get the blood pumping for a couple of minutes. This will get more oxygen into you and the simple act of moving gives you energy.
5. Take regular breaks. These breaks are different to the point above. They're actual breaks, time for you mind to stop thinking about work and start doing something else. I've got a whole other post on how taking breaks increases your productivity, you can check it out here.
6. Work in timed blocks. Giving yourself time blocks to work in really helps get started onto the work and gives you an end goal to work for. It also makes it a lot easier to organise your work so you can cover all the important items for the day. I generally find working in 45 - 60 minute blocks works best for me but others say 90 minutes is the magic number for them. It's different for everyone so just experiment a bit.
7. Exercise. I'm sure we've all heard that exercise gives you more energy, if you haven't here is an article about it. So try to get a bit of exercise in during the day, even if it is only 20 minutes you'll feel much better afterwards.
8. Change your workstations. Try not to work at the same desk all day. Moving from work station to work station gives you a change of environment which keeps you more alert and creative.
Well, there we have it. 8 ways to help maintain high levels of energy throughout the day.
If you learned something new here please give it a thanks, or if you have any questions just write a comment below!