by thet
30 replies
Opening

Hi Tim, with [ my name ], am I calling you at a bad time?

Thank you. [ Company name ] is a company specialised in X. We do a lot of business with companies in your sector. And thats the reason I am calling you today. I am calling you to see if we can meet eachother and tell you about our company. How do you feel about that?


Then.. Well, no suprise here. I get an objection so I can explain more about the company I work for.

I am doing this for a living, and I need to be able to pay the bills so I need to get better at it
So far I book one meeting a day, but I think it's more about my hard work (making lots of calls) then my skill set as a salesman. I want to become great. But I don't really have anybody to get feedback from (i am the only one in my company who does what I do)

Can you critique my opening?
#phone #script
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Well I think with your opening you're going to be more of a churn and burn type of caller, unless you're really good after the opening. My critique is worthless though, I personally don't buy much hype into having an exact script for things unless you're just starting out, or if it's a regular sales person without much product or service knowledge.

    The thing that I can maybe help with though, is your direction. If you're calling them, you're already trying to sell them on a meeting, I think you should change directions and sell them on what you're offering. Forget a meeting. If they're going to buy from you, you're going to be able to dedicate more time over the phone instead of having to drive to meetings and still play the waiting game.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9662201].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thet
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      Well I think with your opening you're going to be more of a churn and burn type of caller, unless you're really good after the opening. My critique is worthless though, I personally don't buy much hype into having an exact script for things unless you're just starting out, or if it's a regular sales person without much product or service knowledge.

      The thing that I can maybe help with though, is your direction. If you're calling them, you're already trying to sell them on a meeting, I think you should change directions and sell them on what you're offering. Forget a meeting. If they're going to buy from you, you're going to be able to dedicate more time over the phone instead of having to drive to meetings and still play the waiting game.
      That's actually a very good point man, thank you.
      I am very much straight to the point. I don't really have any warm up stuff because it does not fit my personality well enough. I don't like chit chat, so why do it on a sales call?
      I don't want to be the churn and burn caller, but that's the best I came up with haha

      However, I might pitch for a meeting a bit too soon. I wonder what other people have to say about that.

      And to be fair, I don't think I am that brilliant after the opening. I have got much to learn so I am very thankful for your input
      Signature

      Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
      — Charlie Munger

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9662209].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by thet View Post

        That's actually a very good point man, thank you.
        I am very much straight to the point. I don't really have any warm up stuff because it does not fit my personality well enough. I don't like chit chat, so why do it on a sales call?
        I don't want to be the churn and burn caller, but that's the best I came up with haha

        However, I might pitch for a meeting a bit too soon. I wonder what other people have to say about that.

        And to be fair, I don't think I am that brilliant after the opening. I have got much to learn so I am very thankful for your input

        Have you considered asking for the sale when you have them interested instead of just asking for the meeting? That's the point I was getting at. I'm the same way actually, I don't like chit chat, and the whole being friends first type thing, LOL. If they're interested in what I have to offer, then I'm going for the sale.

        What are you offering anyway?

        My advice is based on website design, marketing, advertising sales.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9662240].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thet
          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          Have you considered asking for the sale when you have them interested instead of just asking for the meeting? That's the point I was getting at. I'm the same way actually, I don't like chit chat, and the whole being friends first type thing, LOL. If they're interested in what I have to offer, then I'm going for the sale.

          What are you offering anyway?

          My advice is based on website design, marketing, advertising sales.
          It's hardware. Major sales, as SPIN selling would call it.
          Signature

          Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
          — Charlie Munger

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9662274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    Originally Posted by thet View Post

    Opening

    Hi Tim, with [ my name ], am I calling you at a bad time?

    Thank you. [ Company name ] is a company specialised in X. We do a lot of business with companies in your sector. And thats the reason I am calling you today. I am calling you to see if we can meet eachother and tell you about our company. How do you feel about that?

    Can you critique my opening?
    Is this a bad time? Yeah, my car broke down and I'm late for a luncheon. haha, ok, enough playing around...

    Just get right to the point. Never ask if it's a good time, just assume it is.

    Here's a great script from Claude Whitacre's book Selling Local Advertising (I highly suggest getting this book from Amazon... even if you're not selling advertising. It's full of gold nuggets):

    "I saw your ad in the (media). It's a pretty good ad, and I work with local businesses to improve their advertising and reduce their costs. I think I can improve your ad results. I can show you what I mean in just a few minutes. Are you going to be in tomorrow at 3:00?"

    Obviously, just change it around a little to match whatever you're selling.

    No one cares about your company. They want to know, "What's In It For Me."

    Where's Claude or Jason??
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9662949].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thet
      Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleTA View Post

      Is this a bad time? Yeah, my car broke down and I'm late for a luncheon. haha, ok, enough playing around...

      Just get right to the point. Never ask if it's a good time, just assume it is.

      Here's a great script from Claude Whitacre's book Selling Local Advertising (I highly suggest getting this book from Amazon... even if you're not selling advertising. It's full of gold nuggets):

      "I saw your ad in the (media). It's a pretty good ad, and I work with local businesses to improve their advertising and reduce their costs. I think I can improve your ad results. I can show you what I mean in just a few minutes. Are you going to be in tomorrow at 3:00?"

      Obviously, just change it around a little to match whatever you're selling.

      No one cares about your company. They want to know, "What's In It For Me."

      Where's Claude or Jason??
      I actually stole the "is this a bad time" from jason
      Signature

      Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
      — Charlie Munger

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9663282].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    Ha.

    Not something I would ask.
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9665332].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
      Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleTA View Post

      Ha.

      Not something I would ask.
      It really needs to be delivered well, otherwise it comes off as how you might be perceiving it now. Claude Whitacre does a really good job on his youtube channel to highlight this type of thing (not specifically about "is this a bad time").

      You have to make it a natural part of the conversation (the start of it) and if you are not used to doing it then it might sound strange. Maybe just start using it with friends/family? See how they react.

      Edit: I do use this in my cold calling but a variant of it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9665364].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thet
        Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

        It really needs to be delivered well, otherwise it comes off as how you might be perceiving it now. Claude Whitacre does a really good job on his youtube channel to highlight this type of thing (not specifically about "is this a bad time").

        You have to make it a natural part of the conversation (the start of it) and if you are not used to doing it then it might sound strange. Maybe just start using it with friends/family? See how they react.

        Edit: I do use this in my cold calling but a variant of it.
        If you simply say "Hi john, this is X, Am I calling you at a bad time?" and it sounds natural to you, then it works.

        I think that is key. Being natural.

        For example. I am not a type of guy that cracks jokes all the time. I have funny moments, like everyone.
        A guy I know cracks jokes all the time.

        I can't crack jokes during a phone call to warm people up. Since it's not really my natural me. I can develop it over time, probably.

        I am also not chit-chat. So, you wouldn't hear me say to someone on a cold call: "Pfew! What a weather today. Where you able to get to work today? What a traffic jam!"
        Signature

        Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
        — Charlie Munger

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9665911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IneedProfit
    If you are really devoted to the "is this a bad time" line, use this: "Did I happen to catch you at a good time"

    It's kind of like reverse psychology. You're more likely to hear what you want, but still feel like you are asking if their time is important. Even if they answer wrongly on memory. I was taught this many moons ago at a car dealership BDC and I never had someone answer against me.

    Me - "Did I catch you at a good time?"

    Them - "Yes"

    Me - "Great!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9665947].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thet
      Originally Posted by IneedProfit View Post

      If you are really devoted to the "is this a bad time" line, use this: "Did I happen to catch you at a good time"

      It's kind of like reverse psychology. You're more likely to hear what you want, but still feel like you are asking if their time is important. I was taught this many moons ago at a car dealership BDC and I never had someone answer against me.
      Yes. We also have to deal with a language barrier on this forum. English is not my main language.

      I have the same issue with the books on scripts. I always wonder: If I translate this, will it have the same effect or not?
      Signature

      Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
      — Charlie Munger

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9665949].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IneedProfit
        Originally Posted by thet View Post

        Yes. We also have to deal with a language barrier on this forum. English is not my main language.

        I have the same issue with the books on scripts. I always wonder: If I translate this, will it have the same effect or not?
        I can't help you on the translation, but I wish you the best.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9665955].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thet
          Originally Posted by IneedProfit View Post

          I can't help you on the translation, but I wish you the best.
          I don't need the translation. My english is good.
          I just wonder if you translate it literally, if it will have the same results.
          You are dealing with different culture, language etc
          Signature

          Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
          — Charlie Munger

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9665977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    The various opinions here about whether 'is this a bad time?'
    may have missed the point of why it is used.

    Asking 'is this a BAD time' has a completely different meaning
    and psychology to asking 'is this a GOOD time'

    Asking 'is this a GOOD time' is inviting and easy negative
    response from the potential customer.

    Asking 'is this a BAD time' however elicits a much
    more meaningful (and helpful) response.

    Inside the customer's head......thinks...'is this a BAD
    time?' then thinks...I don't know because I don't know
    what the call is about.

    I've used this a lot since learning it and it works amazingly well.
    The commonest response is....a rather puzzled 'No'

    The second commonest response is 'it depends'...

    Both are great for moving on to the next part of the call.

    I personally would never have an opinion on what I would
    and wouldn't use in a call UNLESS I'D TRIED IT MYSELF.

    Hope that helps with that part anyway....the rest of the script?
    Not brilliant I'm afraid and needs a LOT of work.

    .
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9666164].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      The various opinions here about whether 'is this a bad time?'
      may have missed the point of why it is used.

      .
      The reason for the psychology behind it has been explained over and over. But I agree, the point is constantly missed. It's just a simple, yet subtle way to break thru and get the person out of whatever it is they are doing by making them think for a split second.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9666325].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DavePalermo
        If I may, here's how I start a cold call.....
        Good morning this is Dave with whatever company can you hear me ok?
        (My wife served me divorce papers and I accidentally ran over my dog this morning)
        Great!
        ...Now you can roll right into your pitch.

        Back in the early 90's I was an aspiring stock broker with a rather large investment house.
        One of the top selling brokers showed me said trick (if you want to call it a trick). Control the conversation, be polite, be persistent and you will be successful.
        And whatever you do NEVER seem timid.
        It's all about control.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9667797].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IneedProfit
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      The various opinions here about whether 'is this a bad time?'
      may have missed the point of why it is used.

      Asking 'is this a BAD time' has a completely different meaning
      and psychology to asking 'is this a GOOD time'

      Asking 'is this a GOOD time' is inviting and easy negative
      response from the potential customer.

      Asking 'is this a BAD time' however elicits a much
      more meaningful (and helpful) response.

      Inside the customer's head......thinks...'is this a BAD
      time?' then thinks...I don't know because I don't know
      what the call is about.

      I've used this a lot since learning it and it works amazingly well.
      The commonest response is....a rather puzzled 'No'

      The second commonest response is 'it depends'...

      Both are great for moving on to the next part of the call.

      I personally would never have an opinion on what I would
      and wouldn't use in a call UNLESS I'D TRIED IT MYSELF.

      Hope that helps with that part anyway....the rest of the script?
      Not brilliant I'm afraid and needs a LOT of work.

      .
      You've got it all wrong, buddy. There is no good reason to ever bring an easy objection into the equation. However, if you must ask, one is much better than the other. People are conditioned to hear, "Did I catch you at a bad time" and respond with "yes". If you must ask something stupid like this, flip the script.

      I was taught the flip many moons ago, but I would never use either one in my own business. However, if I had to use one, I know which one makes the customer think you're valuing their time, while still eliciting the best response for my goals.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9682814].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author helisell
        Originally Posted by IneedProfit View Post

        You've got it all wrong, buddy. There is no good reason to ever bring an easy objection into the equation. However, if you must ask, one is much better than the other. People are conditioned to hear, "Did I catch you at a bad time" and respond with "yes". If you must ask something stupid like this, flip the script.
        You might want to read my post again buddy.........

        They DON'T answer 'yes' (meaning yes it's a bad time)

        You're saying that they're conditioned to say 'yes' when in fact
        they don't say that at all.

        Where did you get the idea that they respond with a 'yes'?
        Have you ever actually tried asking?

        If you tried it you'd see immediately that they don't object
        for all the reasons that I mentioned in my post.
        Signature

        Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
        Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9687623].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thet
          Originally Posted by helisell View Post

          You might want to read my post again buddy.........

          They DON'T answer 'yes' (meaning yes it's a bad time)

          You're saying that they're conditioned to say 'yes' when in fact
          they don't say that at all.

          Where did you get the idea that they respond with a 'yes'?
          Have you ever actually tried asking?

          If you tried it you'd see immediately that they don't object
          for all the reasons that I mentioned in my post.
          The response I get the most is: "Well, that depends on why you are calling"

          Puts me in a bit of a weird spot goin forward.

          I just start my pitch.

          I find the whole beginning of the phone call still one of the most akward moments ever.

          "Hi John, this is thet, Am i calling you at a bad time?"

          No what is this about?

          "My company does X for... We are this and that. Greatness all over the place. Wanna meet? "

          I tried to start with asking questions. That was even more akward lol

          Just seems very off and akward But I will get used to it some day
          Signature

          Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
          — Charlie Munger

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9688981].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thet
    How can I improve it?
    Signature

    Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
    — Charlie Munger

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9666268].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Thet (OP).....take the advice given here.


    Check out Jason Kanigan's
    material and study it closely. It's ALL in there
    for you.
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9670728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LaneB
    I think you're going to get hung up on a lot at best, cussed out and hung up on at worst.

    These guys are SUPER busy, so you need to deliver a compelling personalized hook before even introducing yourselves because the sad fact is they really don't care who you are, what your company is or what you can do until you give them a reason to care.

    Try calling on guys who are on Page 2 of Google:

    "Hi "Tim", I noticed you are on Page 2 of Google and missing out on 71% of sales you could be getting and I'd like to help with that....for free"

    (what?,who are you?)

    I'm (your name) from (your company), the most trusted internet marketing agency in (your town)....but that's not important. What's important is 92% of all Google traffic doesn't go past the first page and 80% of your would be customers are trying to find you on Google. meaning 71% of business that could be yours is going to the other guy. What do you make of that?

    (I don't like that at all)

    Well, I'm not going to sell you anything yet. We can begin fixing this problem and I recommend you take advantage of our free competition analysis which will break down how your competition on Page 1 is doing, what they are doing and provide you the necessary information to make a smart move to fix your marketing problem. What is a good day next week to present your free competition analysis?

    (blah blah blah)

    Great Tim, what's your email so I can send you a confirmation?......


    If you focus your opening on a dire problem they have, explain the problem and offer a free solution (or at least the first step to a solution), your response will go through the roof.

    Cheers,

    Lane

    Originally Posted by thet View Post

    Opening

    Hi Tim, with [ my name ], am I calling you at a bad time?

    Thank you. [ Company name ] is a company specialised in X. We do a lot of business with companies in your sector. And thats the reason I am calling you today. I am calling you to see if we can meet eachother and tell you about our company. How do you feel about that?


    Then.. Well, no suprise here. I get an objection so I can explain more about the company I work for.

    I am doing this for a living, and I need to be able to pay the bills so I need to get better at it
    So far I book one meeting a day, but I think it's more about my hard work (making lots of calls) then my skill set as a salesman. I want to become great. But I don't really have anybody to get feedback from (i am the only one in my company who does what I do)

    Can you critique my opening?
    Signature
    on:
    Client Getting
    SEO
    Paid Traffic
    Growth hacking
    PR
    Re-marketing
    and all other forms of money getting otherwise rarely taught elsewhere
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9678413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mwind076
    Hi Tim, with [ my name ], am I calling you at a bad time?
    Stop. Don't ask that. Don't put it in their head. There are plenty of threads on the forum outlining why. I won't say more.

    Thank you. [ Company name ] is a company specialised in X. We do a lot of business with companies in your sector. And thats the reason I am calling you today. I am calling you to see if we can meet eachother and tell you about our company. How do you feel about that?
    No...try this.

    "Tim, this is Melissa with ABC Whatever...I'm going to be doing some information drop offs on Tuesday and Wednesday next week. Will you be in the office either of those days so I can shake your hand and put a face with the name?"

    At this point he's going to say one of two things:

    1) What information are you dropping off? (Tell him what you're doing and ask him a few questions so you can gather the "right" info packet just for him - actually you're engaging him and making him think you're interested and know what you're doing)

    2) Yes or No. If he says Yes, say great, which day and time will you be there? He'll say I'm here all morning Tuesday. You say "great, I'll be in between 9-11. Look forward to seeing you."

    If he says No, you say, "No problem" and go into a few random questions making him engage and think you're putting together a specific info packet for him, then ask "I could stop in next week too, is there a better day for you?" If he says no to that, then either don't go (take the hint) or go and drop of a packet.



    You've got to get out of the script deal and be you...but be a smart you. Conversation and being genuine work better than a good script.
    Signature

    Looking for answers on how to SUCCESSFULLY market your company?
    Cold Calling, Appointment Setting, Training, Consulting - we do it all!
    PM for more information

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9678967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thet
    So you disagree with Jason? I actually have some good responses with "Am I calling you at a bad time?"

    It rarely is. Mostly you almost feel them thinking and then I hear "Depends what this is about" or "Hmm, no..go ahead"

    Then I introduce myself and things flow from here.

    Not sure about your approach, to be honest. I am not there to drop of information so I am already lying.
    Signature

    Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
    — Charlie Munger

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9680259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mwind076
    You said you want to meet them and tell them about your company. That would be "dropping off information" - you want the chance to meet them, and give them info. I'm helping you, bring some information printed that is relevant to them.

    Yes, I disagree with Jason on this, always have. Many people do. Feel free to go back through just about any post with this question in it and I disagree with him, as do others.

    Been calling for many years, not once have I asked if it was a bad or good time (nor do we train anyone to do so). Never had anyone NOT tell me if it was a bad time.
    Signature

    Looking for answers on how to SUCCESSFULLY market your company?
    Cold Calling, Appointment Setting, Training, Consulting - we do it all!
    PM for more information

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9681611].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thet
      Originally Posted by Mwind076 View Post

      You said you want to meet them and tell them about your company. That would be "dropping off information" - you want the chance to meet them, and give them info. I'm helping you, bring some information printed that is relevant to them.

      Yes, I disagree with Jason on this, always have. Many people do. Feel free to go back through just about any post with this question in it and I disagree with him, as do others.

      Been calling for many years, not once have I asked if it was a bad or good time (nor do we train anyone to do so). Never had anyone NOT tell me if it was a bad time.
      thats true
      Signature

      Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
      — Charlie Munger

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9681746].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mwind076
        Originally Posted by thet View Post

        thats true

        I know...that's why I said it.
        Signature

        Looking for answers on how to SUCCESSFULLY market your company?
        Cold Calling, Appointment Setting, Training, Consulting - we do it all!
        PM for more information

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9682110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mwind076
    Here's another current thread on the issue:

    http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...wait-help.html
    Signature

    Looking for answers on how to SUCCESSFULLY market your company?
    Cold Calling, Appointment Setting, Training, Consulting - we do it all!
    PM for more information

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9681619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    I think something like: "Hi John, this is Thet with xyz. We provide engineered hardware solutions that... And I would like to see if we should meet. Am I calling you at a bad time?"
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9689071].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thet
      Originally Posted by bizgrower View Post

      I think something like: "Hi John, this is Thet with xyz. We provide engineered hardware solutions that... And I would like to see if we should meet. Am I calling you at a bad time?"
      that's also a quick way to qualify your prospects. Might work.

      I do think you get an objection rather quickly. It's like people have a standard response of NO hanging around in their head whenever you cold call.

      I have had it once, maybe twice, that people said yes after the first time I asked for a meeting lol
      Signature

      Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
      — Charlie Munger

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9689083].message }}

Trending Topics