Is this a good high converting offer?

34 replies
I can get a basic electrical outlet tester for around $5. I can get one that tests GFCI outlets for around $9.




I was thinking about a free offer to send a tester to potential customers. In my area the houses are very old, built in the early to mid 1900's. A high percentage of these houses have missing grounds, revered polarity, or no GFCI protection in the kitchen or bathroom- all things these testers could warn people of. Then they could call me to fix it Maybe I could get a small company sticker made and put it right on the tester.

Giving these testers away for free could become expensive, is there a way to qualify people first? Or is this just a bad idea altogether?
#converting #good #high #offer
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    If you know that a high percentage care and want to upgrade, no need to qualify.

    If you don't know that for a fact, you need to qualify (unless what you sell is so expensive that 1 sale more than covers hundreds of those devices).

    Wouldn't you be better off to send an offer (postcard, flyer) for a free tester. The odds that they're interested in upgrading is higher if they request one.

    Originally Posted by Electrical View Post

    I can get a basic electrical outlet tester for around $5. I can get one that tests GFCI outlets for around $9.




    I was thinking about a free offer to send a tester to potential customers. In my area the houses are very old, built in the early to mid 1900's. A high percentage of these houses have missing grounds, revered polarity, or no GFCI protection in the kitchen or bathroom- all things these testers could warn people of. Then they could call me to fix it Maybe I could get a small company sticker made and put it right on the tester.

    Giving these testers away for free could become expensive, is there a way to qualify people first? Or is this just a bad idea altogether?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9734829].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    I love the idea!!!!

    I do like what DABK said... send a flyer or postcard offering the free tester because people who request it will be more qualified (You could use the USPS's Every Door Direct Mail to send the offers).

    Heck, you could always test both ways. Pick an area you want to target and send them out.

    Or.... one thing I noticed when I was selling old houses (early 1900s), after the buyers had their inspection on the house they would ask the sellers to upgrade to GFCI where needed, fix reverse polarity, and fix unground plugs (either make ground or switch to two-prong). So, you could target home sellers when their house comes on the market.

    Oh, there's another idea... send the outlet testers to Realtors! You could get more than enough business coming from Realtors referring you to their clients.

    Just some thoughts!
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9735031].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      It has the potential to be a high converting offer...
      not just yet.

      Will have to come up with a strong case
      for why it's important and why they should care.

      Have to come up with an easy transition for the requester to
      get you to go fix the wiring.or whatever you do.

      Getting your message in front of the right people
      is the easiest part.

      Best,
      Doctor E. Vile
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9735104].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        Will have to come up with a strong case
        for why it's important and why they should care.
        Maybe put an image of a 1900's victorian style house engulfed in flames?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9735148].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author savidge4
          I don't know in YOUR specific market how the Home Inspection offer plays out. In some places you can get away with a $39 charge ( Fl ), and in others you have to offer it for free ( Wv ).

          The stat that I left on another message is VERY effective. 45,000+ home a year burn to the ground every year in the USA due to a Electrical caused fire. Protect your family and your home and get a Free / $39.00 inspection today, CALL NOW.

          Add the tester as a special bonus to the first 100 that reply. ( I have gotten Sperry GFCI testers for my local client from Amazon @ $7.40 each )

          Create a flyer that details all the things that a homeowner should be inspecting on a monthly / yearly basis. Hand the flyer out ( leave 2 by mistake <wink> ) to every home you go to. Attach your business card as well.

          I suggest having a standardized sheet for the inspection. Many that I worked with "Borrow" some ones online and I think they go to Staples or the like, and they recreate the image for them, adding logos etc ( Im apparently to expensive to do this! hahaha ). and then have them printed in 3 part NCR.
          Signature
          Success is an ACT not an idea
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9735361].message }}
        • Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

          Maybe put an image of a 1900's victorian style house engulfed in flames?
          I like the idea, because I like the idea of a gadget
          "high perceived value" to me.

          the fear of loose wires, sparking up at 2 am - very motivating

          I am afraid of fires!!!

          and like to sleep.

          biz card --> landing page to get gadget or chance to Win Gadget --->
          another offer? - fire wire audit, free check up, etc..,

          share landing page with others

          another member did flyers on neighbor's doors, for house cleaning,
          when they were in the neighborhood already to do a job

          she said it worked out well
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9736881].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MPeters39
    I would first mail out flyers with the incentive of requesting free testers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9735116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bob ross
    What's the most you would pay to have someone who received the tester call you and ask for you to come take a look/give a quote?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9735134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bob ross
    I think the tester is a great tool for lead generation. You're really going to need to figure out how much you're willing to spend to generate leads though for this.

    I'd suggest getting a business reply card permit (a couple hundred bucks) and sending out postcards with business reply cards attached, with an offer to receive the free tester ($25 value) to help determine if their current outlets are dangerous.

    You could even send this EDDM (to the right neighborhoods) out using a 4.25x11 piece that has a perforated business reply card to it so a 4.25x6 can be torn off and sent in.

    Interested prospects will respond via email, phone, or the convenient business reply card, at which point you can collect their info, qualify them, and send them the tester (or ideally... make an appointment to go test them for free yourself).

    Edit: I should mention that you're going to need some good copy on your literature... this is going to make or break your response.
    2. I'd also suggest giving out testers at home shows, giving them only to qualified people that you speak with at the show. Have them fill out cards for a free tester, and on the card have them write their name, address, homes age, email, home and cell phone numbers, and checkmarks of what kind of condition or age their electrical system likely is. Many will set appointments right there, and the rest you can contact, qualify, and set an appointment or send the tester as a last resort.

    ----------

    I'd say this is going to cost around $150-$200 per lead; if your closing rate, average sale, and profit margin return a good ROI then go for it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9736874].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Electrical
    Thank you everyone for the great info, I learned a lot here.

    Like AmericanMuscleTA spoke about, I currently get most of this type of work from new home buyers and realtors. Since they have an inspection done before buying the house, this is where these issues (reverse polarity, no grounding, no GFCI) come up. My idea of using the tester was to get people to do the inspection themselves.

    I was thinking of it incorrectly and most of you set my idea straight. I was thinking about just putting this promotion on my website and spreading it via social media, and of course offering it to existing customers, free methods. But everyone is saying to include it in flyers or EDDM, which carry a whole new cost in addition to the tester and the postage to send them out.

    With that extra cost, I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore. Many of these jobs are only for a few hundred bucks in order to send an apprentice to the house for a couple hours to change out devices and correct existing wiring.

    If we were talking about complete re-wires, that would be different and an acquisition cost of $150-200 would be ok.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737030].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
      Originally Posted by Electrical View Post

      I was thinking of it incorrectly and most of you set my idea straight. I was thinking about just putting this promotion on my website and spreading it via social media, and of course offering it to existing customers, free methods. But everyone is saying to include it in flyers or EDDM, which carry a whole new cost in addition to the tester and the postage to send them out.
      I'd put it on a squeeze / landing page with a good call to action like Kirby is suggesting rather than just some item on your homepage. Promote the squeeze page and let them qualify themselves so you are only spending $ on those who'd be interested in getting the tester (and would be decent leads).

      Still no guarantees they will ultimately purchase from you or maybe they will even actually use the tester to find no problems exist and not need you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    I don't see why social media and working with realtors, appraiser, inspectors...
    would not work and graduate to post cards as the budget allows - but the ROI should be good
    with post cards.

    We don't know your budget, or how many people work for you, how much
    work can you handle well right now - and then grow into.
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737171].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    In the words of Mr. Wonderful, you idea stinks!

    Here's why,

    Everything being equal what is the SINGLE most important factor in making a sale for contractors of any kind?

    Actually being invited to the home!

    Your asking people to perform some sort of electrical inspection that they aren't qualified to do, despite the free gizmo your willing to give away, so your instantly discrediting your own professional expertise!

    You said it yourself in your first post, "Maybe" they'll call you.

    Maybe they'll let you spend the money on the tool and it will just go in their junk drawer because there's most likely a learning curve to use the thing properly and they'll think to themselves... hmm, Isn't this something a professional electrician should do, why is this guy asking me to do it instead of just asking me if he can come and do it for me? Screw it, I'll call that electrician my friend Ricky just used, he can do it.

    Or...

    Even worse they let you spend the money on the tester, they do the test and call your competitor who gets the work. Nice you just paid for their lead at great cost to you!

    Did you stop to think of what liability you may incur just in case some one gets your free tester, screws it up and end up burning their frigg'n house down?

    Isn't this why your trade requires stringent licensing to practice? Your throwing away any leverage power that holds.

    Bob Ross has the idea except just get rid of the free tester idea!

    If your going to spend the time, effort, and money get people interested, then your goal is to have yourself or one of your technicians to get to the home and do it. Then you have a chance for an up sell!

    David is also spot on!

    Get the tester in the hands of Realtors who you can partner with!

    P.S. On second thought partnering with realtors may also not be a good idea due to liability issues. What "IF" a realtor does the testing and screws that up and says, hey everything checks out, the house sells and it's later determined that everything really didn't check out? We live in a very litigious society so when the law suit comes you'll be named for sure.

    P.S.S. And... one more thing. Home owners insurance coverage excludes any damage to a home when worked performed by a home owner is work that is required to be performed by a licensed contractor. So even if it's just testing a CFGI outlet and something were to go wrong, claim denied and you get sued, or... for some crazy reason the claim gets paid and during the course of the investigation by the insurance company the home owner reveals that you sent them the free gizmo the insurance company is going to subrogate and sue you and "IF" your insurance company allows you to file a claim which they probably won't because your test deal isn't covered you'll have zero chance against legal team of the home owners insurance company.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737386].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Electrical
      Rus, if I worried that much about lawsuits, I would never do any work. Everything we do has liability, the smallest mistake can lead to electrocution or fire. That's why we carry $5 mil in liability insurance and $3 mil in error and omission insurance.

      Giving the plugin tester to realtors is unnecessary. Anyone buying a house is going to have an inspection done and these issues will come up in the report. I already get calls via the perspective buyer or the realtors that I have in my pocket. The plugin tester idea was something to expand to everyone else.

      As for using a plug in test, it's the same thing as plugging in a lamp. If they can't understand the lights on it, then they call to ask. There is no license required to use a plugin tester, nor should there be.

      These testers are sold everywhere from Home Depot to drug stores. I've never heard of a lawsuit involving one. I have heard of plenty of lawsuits involving pools and hot tubs, yet we install or repair them often. Liability is part of the game, I'm just not seeing much with the tester.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737428].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
        McDonald's didn't see much liability with hot coffee either.

        Yes your right, everything you do has liability attached to it but why do something that could possibly expose you without any coverage!

        I'm willing to bet if you contacted your insurance company and told them about your campaign and if something went wrong with the test and because you "GIFTED" the tester are you covered? I'll bet they'll say NO WAY.

        Your insurance covers you for the practice of your trade, not for sending people a free testing tool, even if it's sold openly in the retail market.

        You said it yourself, "the smallest mistake can lead to electrocution or fire" so yeah send out those free testers buddy.

        I can see it now on the nightly news.

        House burns to ground, occupants barely escape with their lives after doing a electrical test with a free tool that Mr. So and So's Electrical company sent them.

        Yeah my response is blunt and brash because I don't really think your thinking clearly about it at all and your discrediting yourself completely as a professional electrician.



        Originally Posted by Electrical View Post

        Rus, if I worried that much about lawsuits, I would never do any work. Everything we do has liability, the smallest mistake can lead to electrocution or fire. That's why we carry $5 mil in liability insurance and $3 mil in error and omission insurance.

        Giving the tester to realtors in unnecessary. Anyone buying a house is going to have an inspection done and these issues will come up in the report. I already get calls via the perspective buyer or the realtors that I have in my pocket. The plugin tester idea was something to expand to everyone else.

        As for using a plug in test, it's the same thing as plugging in a lamp. If they can't understand the lights on it, then they call to ask. There is no license required to use a plugin tester, nor should there be.

        These testers are sold everywhere from Home Depot to drug stores. I've never heard of a lawsuit involving one. I have heard of plenty of lawsuits involving pools and hot tubs, yet we install or repair them often. Liability is part of the game, I'm just not seeing much with the tester.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737468].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Electrical
          Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

          McDonald's didn't see much liability with hot coffee either.
          Yet they still sell millions of cups of it, don't they? lol...

          Yes your right, everything you do has liability attached to it but why do something that could possibly expose you without any coverage!
          Tell me why you assume I wouldn't be covered?

          Am I not covered on the 40kW generator we sold and installed this week? What if someone gets diesel fuel in their eye or catches their finger in the fan?!?!?!

          Am I not covered for the 5-7 electrical panels that we sell a week? What if one of those malfunctions? Wait, they do all the time...

          Please tell me what else you think I am not covered for?

          I'm willing to bet if you contacted your insurance company and told them about your campaign and if something went wrong with the test and because you "GIFTED" the tester are you covered? I'll bet they'll say NO WAY.
          How much are you willing to bet?

          Tell me where my policy covers me for sold items but not items given away? How about discounted items, am I covered for those?

          Your insurance covers you for the practice of your trade, not for sending people a free testing tool, even if it's sold openly in the retail market.
          The truth is that you don't have a clue what my insurance covers me for.

          You said it yourself, "the smallest mistake can lead to electrocution or fire" so yeah send out those free testers buddy.
          No, now you are changing my words around.

          The normal everyday things we do can lead to electrocution or fire, but we still do those things, that's what I said. A person using a plugin tester is not at risk for either.

          Please stop misquoting me.

          I can see it now on the nightly news.

          House burns to ground, occupants barely escape with their lives after doing a electrical test with a free tool that Mr. So and So's Electrical company sent them.
          Tell us how a house burns to the ground by using a plugin tester??? lol.

          Yeah my response is blunt and brash because I don't really think your thinking clearly about it at all and your discrediting yourself completely as a professional electrician.
          I think with all the misinformation you have posted along with this last sentence that is attacking me personally, I am going to put you on ignore.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737509].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Electrical
      Your edit:
      Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

      P.S.S. And... one more thing. Home owners insurance coverage excludes any damage to a home when worked performed by a home owner is work that is required to be performed by a licensed contractor.
      That is not true. It's a common misconception. Homeowners insurance will cover it, even if the homeowner made a stupid mistake, as long as it's not deemed malicious. I deal with this exact situation often, paid by the insurance company. Many electrician do, which is why we laugh when people say how homeowners insurance won't cover damage if the person didn't have a license or pull a permit. It's just urban legend.

      So even if it's just testing a CFGI outlet and something were to go wrong, claim denied and you get sued,
      Again, not true. Nothing is going to go wrong using a plugin tester anyway.

      "IF" your insurance company allows you to file a claim which they probably won't because your test deal isn't covered
      Why wouldn't I be covered? Come on man, you claims are getting more and more crazy as you go.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737431].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
        Well perhaps my statements about coverage don't apply to New Jersey or the Tri state area but there are states where insurance will not pay in situations like this so if they pay in your area that that's good I guess.

        Just like my blanket statement about insurance your statement is pretty blanket about a plugin tester. LOL

        I repeat, you said it yourself, "even the smallest mistake can lead to electrocution or fire". Except using a plugin tester of course. lol

        I would still double check about your own coverage and don't assume what a covered event is.

        I worked exclusively in the insurance restoration industry for 20+ years and I've seen hundreds and hundreds of cases where things you'd honestly think were covered were not and a claim was denied.

        So yeah we can agree to disagree but I won't tickle your ears in the slightest.

        I still think you aren't thinking it through.

        Get yourself in the home but not by giving away a free tester.


        Originally Posted by Electrical View Post

        Your edit:
        That is not true. It's a common misconception. Homeowners insurance will cover it, even if the homeowner made a stupid mistake, as long as it's not deemed malicious. I deal with this exact situation often, paid by the insurance company. Many electrician do, which is why we laugh when people say how homeowners insurance won't cover damage if the person didn't have a license or pull a permit. It's just urban legend.

        Again, not true. Nothing is going to go wrong using a plugin tester anyway.



        Why wouldn't I be covered? Come on man, you claims are getting more and more crazy as you go.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737516].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Create flyers, and a home page that offer the same thing. Make a convincing case for wanting the tester. And deliver it to their home. You don't want leads, you want appointments.

          When they call to get the tester, ask questions that qualify them as likely buyers. When you get there, if there is no hope of a sale, just show them the tester, and leave it.


          Deliver the tester first..show them how to use it...then talk to them about your services.

          Make it clear in your offer, that you deliver the tester for free. And when they call, make darn sure they understand that you are delivering it in person, not mailing it to them....or sending a delivery person.

          Maybe half the people who contact you, will actually make the appointment, and half of those...will be qualified when you get there.

          You may end up giving away ten testers for one completed sale. But it will only be a couple of testers for each qualified appointment where they are both there....and a sale is possible.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nostahl
    I stopped reading after half the thread so not sure if anyone mentioned this but if you are an electrician you should know you will be putting your name on this cheap tester not causing a fire itself...

    notify your business liability to MAKE SURE you are covered for this marketing campaign. that image of a victorian engulfed in flames could be one that you helped cause
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737628].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      This has got to be one of the most convoluted disturbing threads I have read in a while... well the last few days anyways.

      I too have rather extensive insurance. One of my business' we sell / install Satellite based Internet service. Not quite the liability of an electrician, but pretty darn close. I called the liability department of my insurance today and asked about giving say a "Electrical Tester" as a promotion. he said and I quote... "It would be like a bank handing out a toaster" "The liability falls on the maker of the tool, and not at all on the path to which a end user obtains such a tool"

      You can buy the dang things at Home Depot, Rite Aid, etc... IF I were to go to home depot and buy a tester.. then go home and plug it in and somehow create a short and a fire, and through some monsterous tragedy burn my house down.. where would liability fall then?

      Then in all of this the comment suggestion of handing such a device to a prospect seems self defeating. The theory I am guessing is the prospect would be able to go through their house and test all their plugs.. who needs an electrician at that point?

      ARE YOU KIDDING?

      IF THERE EVER WAS A CASE OF PRE QUALIFYING, its right there. All the plugs In the house test good, no need for a Electrician to visit. Ground fault or reverse neg or bad GFCI, well the prospect is more then likely to call an electrician to fix the issue.

      THIS POST has caused such a epiphany in a super fantastic method to getting my electrician clients new business. I called each and ever one of them today, as well as cold called some new ones. As of right now I have commitments from more than a few electricians through out the United States committed to running a lumpy mail campaign.

      I am currently working on obviously bringing the price down o the testers and have, I hope tracked down a supplier in China that will provide me just that.

      INSANITY is all I can say.

      Oh and please stop giving pens to your clients they might stab themselves and you would be liable... HAHAHAHAHA
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737855].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
        The question isn't about the actual legal responsibilities because people do stupid shit and will sue for anything
        that's what I'm getting at.

        I burnt my house down because this electrician gave me
        this free tester. Hey it could happen, will it happen probably
        not.

        Yes I was brash and blunt and I won't apologize for that and
        hey if it works let me know I'll be the first to admit that my
        perspective is on the promotional idea was/is wrong.

        = )

        Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

        This has got to be one of the most convoluted disturbing threads I have read in a while... well the last few days anyways.

        I too have rather extensive insurance. One of my business' we sell / install Satellite based Internet service. Not quite the liability of an electrician, but pretty darn close. I called the liability department of my insurance today and asked about giving say a "Electrical Tester" as a promotion. he said and I quote... "It would be like a bank handing out a toaster" "The liability falls on the maker of the tool, and not at all on the path to which a end user obtains such a tool"

        You can buy the dang things at Home Depot, Rite Aid, etc... IF I were to go to home depot and buy a tester.. then go home and plug it in and somehow create a short and a fire, and through some monsterous tragedy burn my house down.. where would liability fall then?

        Then in all of this the comment suggestion of handing such a device to a prospect seems self defeating. The theory I am guessing is the prospect would be able to go through their house and test all their plugs.. who needs an electrician at that point?

        ARE YOU KIDDING?

        IF THERE EVER WAS A CASE OF PRE QUALIFYING, its right there. All the plugs In the house test good, no need for a Electrician to visit. Ground fault or reverse neg or bad GFCI, well the prospect is more then likely to call an electrician to fix the issue.

        THIS POST has caused such a epiphany in a super fantastic method to getting my electrician clients new business. I called each and ever one of them today, as well as cold called some new ones. As of right now I have commitments from more than a few electricians through out the United States committed to running a lumpy mail campaign.

        I am currently working on obviously bringing the price down o the testers and have, I hope tracked down a supplier in China that will provide me just that.

        INSANITY is all I can say.

        Oh and please stop giving pens to your clients they might stab themselves and you would be liable... HAHAHAHAHA
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9738132].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author savidge4
          So, yesterday as I was picking myself up off the floor due to the sudden attack of laughter, as I stated I got on the phone to inquire about the liability of such an offer. The answer from that put in motion the collection of non vertical services I provide.

          I just so happen to have a "community" at my disposal that is exactly 120 homes, the median income is $60,000 a year and it is mostly blue collar. These 120 homes are a eddm code unto themselves. Its basically your heaven sent mailer test facility for someone like me that likes to test offers.

          I set in motion the creation of 40 post card mailers from my large format department. your basic 100 lb matte stock, full color 2 sided with an offer that has been tested and I know better than roughly what the return is.

          We created a quick more formal offering with a spec sheet, a offer sheet and had my vinyl department crank out 40 fridge magnets, all of this was stuffed in your basic white #10 envelope and hand addressed.

          The last 40 took a bit of leg work... I needed 40 GFCI testers, and 5 stores later that was complete. Worked up the needed instructions and data pack for each of the testers including pictures. ( nice looking document I might add ) Went a head and ran the envelopes through a printer to give them a vertical and horizontal red band to make it appear like it was wrapped for Christmas, and again hand addressed these as well.

          Part of the message with this packet was the idea that during Christmas most homes tend to put added load on their electrical systems, and we are providing the tester as a gift to ensure the holidays go without incident, and your then your basic contact us if you find any issues.

          In less than 4 hours those 120 mailers were in the mail. ( I love my team! ) NOW less than 24 hours later to my surprise the formal mailer has received 2 return calls. The post card mailer is right in at its 6% ( +/- ) 4 calls, and the lumpy mail...

          20 friggin return calls. 10 to say thank you, and 10 that booked an appointment to look at issues. of the 10 booked appointments 2 have already been completed today that brought in $300 Gross, there is 1 that is going to do a box swap, and as we speak they are onsite for the remain 2 appointments for today.

          BUT... it gets better... there has already been 3 ADDITIONAL REFERALS from the lumpy mail offering.

          I currently have ordered 1000 GFCI testers that I should have in less than 2 weeks, and plan a larger scale test before knocking it out of the park with pitching this Nationally! hahaha

          Seriously.... I love this Forum!
          Signature
          Success is an ACT not an idea
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9739876].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Electrical
            Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

            So, yesterday as I was picking myself up off the floor due to the sudden attack of laughter, as I stated I got on the phone to inquire about the liability of such an offer. The answer from that put in motion the collection of non vertical services I provide.

            I just so happen to have a "community" at my disposal that is exactly 120 homes, the median income is $60,000 a year and it is mostly blue collar. These 120 homes are a eddm code unto themselves. Its basically your heaven sent mailer test facility for someone like me that likes to test offers.

            I set in motion the creation of 40 post card mailers from my large format department. your basic 100 lb matte stock, full color 2 sided with an offer that has been tested and I know better than roughly what the return is.

            We created a quick more formal offering with a spec sheet, a offer sheet and had my vinyl department crank out 40 fridge magnets, all of this was stuffed in your basic white #10 envelope and hand addressed.

            The last 40 took a bit of leg work... I needed 40 GFCI testers, and 5 stores later that was complete. Worked up the needed instructions and data pack for each of the testers including pictures. ( nice looking document I might add ) Went a head and ran the envelopes through a printer to give them a vertical and horizontal red band to make it appear like it was wrapped for Christmas, and again hand addressed these as well.

            Part of the message with this packet was the idea that during Christmas most homes tend to put added load on their electrical systems, and we are providing the tester as a gift to ensure the holidays go without incident, and your then your basic contact us if you find any issues.

            In less than 4 hours those 120 mailers were in the mail. ( I love my team! ) NOW less than 24 hours later to my surprise the formal mailer has received 2 return calls. The post card mailer is right in at its 6% ( +/- ) 4 calls, and the lumpy mail...

            20 friggin return calls. 10 to say thank you, and 10 that booked an appointment to look at issues. of the 10 booked appointments 2 have already been completed today that brought in $300 Gross, there is 1 that is going to do a box swap, and as we speak they are onsite for the remain 2 appointments for today.

            BUT... it gets better... there has already been 3 ADDITIONAL REFERALS from the lumpy mail offering.

            I currently have ordered 1000 GFCI testers that I should have in less than 2 weeks, and plan a larger scale test before knocking it out of the park with pitching this Nationally! hahaha

            Seriously.... I love this Forum!
            "I currently have ordered 1000 GFCI testers that I should have in less than 2 weeks"

            But... That's like a thousand lawsuits dude, aren't you scared?!?!


            Who are you doing this promotion for? One EC or multiple?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9739894].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author savidge4
              Originally Posted by Electrical View Post

              "I currently have ordered 1000 GFCI testers that I should have in less than 2 weeks"

              But... That's like a thousand lawsuits dude, aren't you scared?!?!


              Who are you doing this promotion for? One EC or multiple?
              I handed out over 5000 business cards last year without a single litigation for a paper cut.. Im good! hahahaha

              The 1000 is still going to be a larger scale test, for a single firm.
              Signature
              Success is an ACT not an idea
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9739915].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Tim Bazley
                Hi Electrical...

                I'm a qualified electrician here in the UK so I'm enjoying this thread. Personally I wouldn't be happy getting homeowners to start testing dodgy electrics themselves, but...

                I was toying with the idea of offering a basic electrical inspection for a cheap price, say £25 - £35. If any faults were found, I was then going to give them a quote to repair any faults with a discount for the £25, effectively making the inspection free for them if they got me to do the repair work.

                But then I got busy so never got round to it!

                You could also offer a free inspection to any customer you're already doing work for to sweeten the deal. I'm sure houses in the US are the same as the ones here...there's almost always something wrong with the electrics or something that could do with being upgraded to comply to the latest regs.

                I always think electrical contracting work is one of the easiest things to up-sell...you go to fit a new light and end up doing a rewire because the house wiring is totally shot!

                I always keep my eyes open on a job, looking for possible problems and I point them out to the homeowner. More often than not, I end up going back to fix the other problems for them!

                Maybe you could offer the free inspections to everybody in your local area. After all you're wiling to spend $9 plus shipping on the testers. Fit a couple in each day on the way home and that's 10 inspections a week. Convert say 3-4 of those to repair jobs and that's 12-16 extra jobs a month.

                If you do it, let me know how you get on...if it works well, I'll do it here if I go quiet again.

                Tim
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744254].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Tim Bazley
                  Following on from my last post, make sure your insurance covers you for inspections. Here in the UK you need professional indemnity (as well as public liability) insurance which covers you if they get a shock or whatever having missed a fault after giving them the all clear!

                  Best to be covered even though Im sure you're a decent electrician who doesn't miss dangerous faults
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744282].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Electrical
                    Error and omission insurance covers me for the inspections. Plus, my lawyer made up some special wording for the inspection contracts, saying things like "free from apparent defect but not guaranteed" and stuff like that. Nothing is bullet proof, everything we do has risk, we just try to limit it as much as we can.

                    As for giving free inspections, I don't have time for that, I already have too much unbillable time. I make good money from electrical inspections, I don't want to give it away for free. The "free tester offer" is just for letting customers see if there is a clear and apparent defect with an outlet. It's not an inspection or anything close to it.

                    For existing customers we will check things while we are there and alert the customers if we see any problems. We will also talk to them and see what they like or what their worries are and see if there is anything we can do to help with that, from extra lighting to surge suppression to generator installations.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744376].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author sconer
            Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

            THIS POST has caused such a epiphany in a super fantastic method to getting my electrician clients new business. I called each and ever one of them today, as well as cold called some new ones. As of right now I have commitments from more than a few electricians through out the United States committed to running a lumpy mail campaign.
            Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

            I currently have ordered 1000 GFCI testers that I should have in less than 2 weeks, and plan a larger scale test before knocking it out of the park with pitching this Nationally! hahaha
            How did this campaign work out for you? Are you still doing it a year later?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484151].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author savidge4
              Originally Posted by sconer View Post

              How did this campaign work out for you? Are you still doing it a year later?

              8000 pieces went out in total last month, so yes I am STILL doing this, and it does work rather well.
              Signature
              Success is an ACT not an idea
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484405].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author sconer
                Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

                8000 pieces went out in total last month, so yes I am STILL doing this, and it does work rather well.
                That's a lot. You are doing this for EC's around the country?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484409].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author savidge4
                  Originally Posted by sconer View Post

                  That's a lot. You are doing this for EC's around the country?
                  Yes I am working with 20+ electricians nationally. Once a month or every other month or so they target different communities around them.
                  Signature
                  Success is an ACT not an idea
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484456].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author sconer
                    Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

                    Yes I am working with 20+ electricians nationally. Once a month or every other month or so they target different communities around them.
                    Interesting. Do you have a company page about what you do/offer?
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484467].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
                      Originally Posted by sconer View Post

                      Interesting. Do you have a company page about what you do/offer?

                      For that specifically? nope not at all... its all cold calling, and direct postal mail.
                      Signature
                      Success is an ACT not an idea
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484774].message }}

Trending Topics