So scared of cold calling

by scajo
50 replies
Hello... I have a fear. A fear of cold calling. Everytime i hold in my phone and push the digits my heart start beating and and my body fills up with big worries.

That in mind i want to be good at cold calling but don't know how to get rid of my fear and start to call the prospects.

I think a part of my fear is because i'm missing a good script (schedule a meeting for clients to sell web design services).
Furthermore, I believe that i don't have answers for rejections and so on. So pleace, can anyone give som tip's on how to do to get rid of my heart-beating and how to develope a good script for my calls and other tip's that can be useful.
#calling #cold #scared
  • Profile picture of the author CharlotteBarnes
    I sympathise as I'm not great speaking on the phone. I get very nervous, even when speaking to people I know.

    However, I used to be even worse and wouldn't even pick up the phone if it was ringing. The best advice I can give is practice, practice and practice some more. Ring people you know and feel comfortable with to rehearse what you're going to say before you say it.
    Signature

    ~"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx~

    Currently writing and working for Spiral Media and thoroughly enjoying myself while I'm at it.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10241179].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scajo
      Originally Posted by CharlotteBarnes View Post

      I sympathise as I'm not great speaking on the phone. I get very nervous, even when speaking to people I know.

      However, I used to be even worse and wouldn't even pick up the phone if it was ringing. The best advice I can give is practice, practice and practice some more. Ring people you know and feel comfortable with to rehearse what you're going to say before you say it.
      Thanks for your advice and I know exactly what you mean. Maybe my problem is not as big as your but i've been there before. How long time of practice did you need to to be (a little bit more) confortable of cold calling?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10241215].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CharlotteBarnes
        Originally Posted by scajo View Post

        How long time of practice did you need to to be (a little bit more) confortable of cold calling?
        It took about a month of working on my phone manner before I felt comfortable. Takes a bit of perseverance but it is worth it
        Signature

        ~"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx~

        Currently writing and working for Spiral Media and thoroughly enjoying myself while I'm at it.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10242510].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author scajo
          Originally Posted by CharlotteBarnes View Post

          It took about a month of working on my phone manner before I felt comfortable. Takes a bit of perseverance but it is worth it
          Ah- okey, that sounds great!!

          How do/did you build/t up your script?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10265055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
    Your problem is a lack of information.

    Get skilled-up, formulate some realistic expectations and above all just use the search function here to find information. Jason Kanigan's SOF program is excellent, as well as all of the free material he has posted here and on his YouTube channel.

    Build a basic script to:

    1. Find out who you need to be speaking with.
    2. Deliver a highly condensed summary of the issues they have & your related solution.
    3. Attach a dollar value to those problems you solve then contrast with your solution's cost.
    4. Ask for the sale or appointment.
    5. Follow up.

    Repeat step #5 a few times until you get a definitive NO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10241416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author King Manu
    You focus to much on the problem, the fact that you are nervous, and that makes you even more nervous. Focus on the solutions instead, and work your craft, improve yourself, get in that mental state of strength and start making calls ! If you get a rejection or if you screw up what? You will get better with practice. Just do it ! Do some push-ups or any other kind of exercises before to get in that state of calm.

    You are nervous because you are afraid of rejection or screwing it up. But if you get rejected and if you screw it up so what ? You can learn and improve from that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10242524].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
      Originally Posted by King Manu View Post

      You are nervous because you are afraid of rejection or screwing it up. But if you get rejected and if you screw it up so what ? You can learn and improve from that.
      More likely the cause of the fear is from multiple sources:

      -Lack of confidence in product/services that they offer
      -Not expert in understanding those products/services
      -Poor script or nothing even written down about what to say (ie, "wingin it")
      -Expectations are WAY out of whack
      -Zero effort made in learning some skills in sales

      But my all time favorite source of fear (and how to overcome it) is related to a limited pipeline of prospects. So, simply fill that sucker up and make some call-back entries into the calendar, which these could totally be brush-offs from the calls. Doesn't matter. Point is by filling up that calendar with appointments and call-backs then you have simply been making the dials. The byproduct of this is that the rejection and fear is significantly reduced because you then go into each dial/call with the mindset of: "so what, I've got all of these demos and call-backs to handle!".
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10242619].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
        James,

        I like your list.

        If I could add just one thing it'd be - Take Responsibility.

        If you are an Adult, it's time to stop whining about how hard
        something is and get to work.

        Whatever You are whining about, someone else, who doesn't have the skills
        and abilities that you have, is hard at work, getting things done.

        I met a young women recently who is mentally challenged.

        She's had a few surgeries over the years, mostly to relieve fluid that
        develops around her brain. She's on some heavy meds, with serious side
        effects. But, she gets herself up every day, gets herself dressed and on
        the bus that takes her to her job.

        No whining. No complaining about how hard it is. Instead, a great big smile
        and a sense of pride about her.

        A sense of responsibility.

        Stop Whining.

        Take responsibility for yourself.

        That's what adults do.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10242827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    There's a big misconception that you have to be cold calling in order to have success.

    You don't.

    If you're scared and have real anxiety why even put yourself through it?

    I think having a good script is an excuse a lot of people come up with to put off cold calling. If you think cold calling is a good strategy for you, then do it. You don't need a killer script. You need to have conversations. Conversations are key.

    If you really want to do it... Look at Jason Kanigan's posts... he goes into it far deeper than anyone else, but I think if you simplify what he discusses... it's still about 1 basic thing... having conversations.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10243794].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scajo
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      There's a big misconception that you have to be cold calling in order to have success.

      You don't.

      If you're scared and have real anxiety why even put yourself through it?

      I think having a good script is an excuse a lot of people come up with to put off cold calling. If you think cold calling is a good strategy for you, then do it. You don't need a killer script. You need to have conversations. Conversations are key.

      If you really want to do it... Look at Jason Kanigan's posts... he goes into it far deeper than anyone else, but I think if you simplify what he discusses... it's still about 1 basic thing... having conversations.
      The reason i want a script is that soooo many people say's i need to have one. But i'm with you when you talk about conversations and i agree!. Why im trying to get me thru is to get rid of my fear and be good at it because it is a very cheap method to get clients (excepts time), and when the fear is away i have millions opportunites to run business and so on I hope u understand
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10265073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jherewini
    Im guessing the reason your cold calling in the first place is because your trying to generate leads or sales for your business. I personally dont mind cold calling and that includes walking in off the street,

    But I have a much better response from my cold market when I make my solution relevant to their business offering. Now days I am using a lead genearation coach to help me generate leads for my business and I tell you what its the best investment I have ever made business wise

    At the moment he has promotion going where you will get access to him, his sales team who will do the follow up and closing for you as well as one on one coaching for the right way to set up your advertising campaigns.

    Dont get me wrong his offer is not a hands off offer its actually a hands on offer because its your business and hes all about empowering you and you will need to follow his step by step training for $49 why not take up the offer. I dont know if this is a limited time offer but if your interested feel free to reach out to me....
    Signature

    Discover How I Went From Strugling Entrepreneur To Retirement In less than 12 weeks. Heres How I Did It! Check It Out For Yourself Here!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10243830].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
      Originally Posted by jherewini View Post

      Im guessing the reason your cold calling in the first place is because your trying to generate leads or sales for your business. I personally dont mind cold calling and that includes walking in off the street,

      But I have a much better response from my cold market when I make my solution relevant to their business offering. Now days I am using a lead genearation coach to help me generate leads for my business and I tell you what its the best investment I have ever made business wise

      At the moment he has promotion going where you will get access to him, his sales team who will do the follow up and closing for you as well as one on one coaching for the right way to set up your advertising campaigns.

      Dont get me wrong his offer is not a hands off offer its actually a hands on offer because its your business and hes all about empowering you and you will need to follow his step by step training for $49 why not take up the offer. I dont know if this is a limited time offer but if your interested feel free to reach out to me....
      I fail to see how this addresses the OP's request.

      Are you suggesting for the op to just not cold call and pay your guy the $49 to deal with the problem?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10243898].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
    The reason you're scared, just like myself when I first started is because you're not competent enough.

    Here are three things you need to control to get better

    1. Have a good mindset
    2. Have good techniques
    3. Repetition

    To explain briefly on the above
    Point 1. View each rejection as a getting closer to a yes. Have that stored in your mind. Only the strongest, and thick skinned will win at cold calling

    Point 2. You need to learn your scripts (Get so good at you script that it sound natural). Learn how to question the gatekeeper. Learn how to pitch the DM and ask the open ended question.

    Point 3. Practice and keep practicing. It's like building muscle. Brian Tracy says get through your first 100 numbers fast, doesn't matter if you fail, just do it. If you're mentally strong enough and you haven't broke down in tears, well done, you potentially have the stamina for cold calling. Rinse and repeat

    Another thing, you need to STUDY cold calling. Live and breathe it if you want this to be your source of leads. I've been studying this for 2 years on and off but didn't really take it seriously till the start of this year.

    I've read tons of articles, I've purchased video training products, I read books on it, I study the sales gurus about cold calling, I watch film clips about cold calling, I study WF post from, Jason K, Claude, Matthew North (sorry if I didn't mention but if you replied to my threads, I thank you too), I have a sales mentor. Live and breathe what you want to learn, literally, that's the only way for you to become great.

    I'm still learning till this day, I haven't closed tons of deals from pure cold calling phone sales BUT I have added good prospects into my pipeline which will turn to sales.

    Here's something I've also learnt this year. You're looking for someone who is interested. That's why you need to call quick and gain interest quickly and then move on. When there is interest, you then qualify and sell.

    To get interest, you might say:

    "Hi Jim, Michael from xyz company"

    At this point you can do a pattern interrupt like "Is this a bad time", "Do you know of my company". Or you can go straight into the initial pitch. I tried this pitch on Monday and then had a qualifying call today based on this:


    Hi, this is Michael. (Pause for 2 seconds)
    I'm calling from xyz company. (Pause for 2 seconds)
    My skill helps e-commerce companies increase online orders by 10-30%. Is this a bad time for a quick chat?
    He said it was a bad time and then I went for the appointment close. Had the call today and now he's an opportunity.

    People sometimes say your elevator pitch needs to be 30 or 60 seconds. Depends doesn't it. If you can shorten it and still get the value across, try that. Scott Channel who is another cold calling expert says that, if someone has a need for your product or services, your pitch needs to be on point. With my example above, I've found that my 10 second pitch works just as well as a 30 second pitch.

    Michael
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10244792].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scajo
      Originally Posted by Michael Nguyen View Post

      The reason you're scared, just like myself when I first started is because you're not competent enough.

      Here are three things you need to control to get better

      1. Have a good mindset
      2. Have good techniques
      3. Repetition

      To explain briefly on the above
      Point 1. View each rejection as a getting closer to a yes. Have that stored in your mind. Only the strongest, and thick skinned will win at cold calling

      Point 2. You need to learn your scripts (Get so good at you script that it sound natural). Learn how to question the gatekeeper. Learn how to pitch the DM and ask the open ended question.

      Point 3. Practice and keep practicing. It's like building muscle. Brian Tracy says get through your first 100 numbers fast, doesn't matter if you fail, just do it. If you're mentally strong enough and you haven't broke down in tears, well done, you potentially have the stamina for cold calling. Rinse and repeat

      Another thing, you need to STUDY cold calling. Live and breathe it if you want this to be your source of leads. I've been studying this for 2 years on and off but didn't really take it seriously till the start of this year.

      I've read tons of articles, I've purchased video training products, I read books on it, I study the sales gurus about cold calling, I watch film clips about cold calling, I study WF post from, Jason K, Claude, Matthew North (sorry if I didn't mention but if you replied to my threads, I thank you too), I have a sales mentor. Live and breathe what you want to learn, literally, that's the only way for you to become great.

      I'm still learning till this day, I haven't closed tons of deals from pure cold calling phone sales BUT I have added good prospects into my pipeline which will turn to sales.

      Here's something I've also learnt this year. You're looking for someone who is interested. That's why you need to call quick and gain interest quickly and then move on. When there is interest, you then qualify and sell.

      To get interest, you might say:

      "Hi Jim, Michael from xyz company"

      At this point you can do a pattern interrupt like "Is this a bad time", "Do you know of my company". Or you can go straight into the initial pitch. I tried this pitch on Monday and then had a qualifying call today based on this:




      He said it was a bad time and then I went for the appointment close. Had the call today and now he's an opportunity.

      People sometimes say your elevator pitch needs to be 30 or 60 seconds. Depends doesn't it. If you can shorten it and still get the value across, try that. Scott Channel who is another cold calling expert says that, if someone has a need for your product or services, your pitch needs to be on point. With my example above, I've found that my 10 second pitch works just as well as a 30 second pitch.

      Michael
      Thanks for your answer. This will help me as well as any other newbie to the market. I will take your tip's into my mind and work on it. I really appriciate your time!

      Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10265066].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scajo
    Everyone else that i dont have answered - Thanks a lot for your answer. I appreciate your time and inputs. Sorry for every quote-post but my internet-connection is really bad. So i hope you guys dont minde
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10265076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
    You need a script, you need a rebuttle book. You need at least 10 closes. and yes you ABSOLUTLY need to get on the phone wether your afraid or not. Why? Because if your not your competitor is. Also it's by far the fastest way to get new business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10266075].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scajo
      Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

      You need a script, you need a rebuttle book. You need at least 10 closes. and yes you ABSOLUTLY need to get on the phone wether your afraid or not. Why? Because if your not your competitor is. Also it's by far the fastest way to get new business.
      Yeah i agree on that point and its getting better and better. Yesterday one meeting scheduled and 37 calls made me think i'm a warrior 💪💪💪☺☺☺ now im heading against 50 calls tomorrow!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10268145].message }}
  • As silly as it sounds do some practice runs to a friend or family member just to get you in the flow. Have a bit of a script to prompt you. Take a deep breath and believe in yourself. Youll be fine.

    Ive done a fair bit of cold calling in the past. Feel free to drop me a PM and Ill help in any way I can.

    All the best.

    J
    Signature
    Enlighten Marketing
    Lighting the way for your marketing objectives
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10272364].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StevenDelong
    As silly as this sounds, what worked for me is working at a telemarketing job first and you see others around you doing the same things and it helps hearing and watching them. Plus the they train you with objections. Now I go through hundreds of calls per day like it's normal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10313386].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ivanela33
      Desensitize your self from this fear of rejection. Check this experiment from this guy, it might help you:


      http://fearbuster.com/100-days-of-rejection-therapy/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10316555].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scajo
    Thank you, a lot guys! I'm really thankful for all your tip's! Pls, keep posting all your thoughts about the fear in cold calling! I will read them all!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10373654].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
      Originally Posted by scajo View Post

      Thank you, a lot guys! I'm really thankful for all your tip's! Pls, keep posting all your thoughts about the fear in cold calling! I will read them all!
      Have you progressed since the start of the thread? Go for failure because its what gets you closer to yeses.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10373829].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author scajo
        Originally Posted by Michael Nguyen View Post

        Have you progressed since the start of the thread? Go for failure because its what gets you closer to yeses.
        Yes I have and I had closed some quite nice deals in the past but I'm not that good at cold calling and I see a future with teaching this scenario over and over again
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10374308].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jake Sacks
    Look at it differently. Ask them to answer just ten questions for your online publication. Then slowly offer your services based off of the way they answer.


    Do you get what I am saying? You are not directly selling, but offering them a spot in your publication while suggesting what needs done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10373880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
      Originally Posted by Jake Sacks View Post

      Look at it differently. Ask them to answer just ten questions for your online publication. Then slowly offer your services based off of the way they answer.


      Do you get what I am saying? You are not directly selling, but offering them a spot in your publication while suggesting what needs done.
      It seems like you're jumping about a mile ahead of where the op needs to be and is likely just going to exacerbate his fear issues.

      He needs to first learn an effective and repeatable intro that can be delivered to those that answer the calls. Since you have no idea who is picking up the call that intro needs to handle quite a bit in a very succinct delivery.

      I'd start there and just begin delivering that intro over and over, most of which will likely result in getting sent to VM or nail down a name of the decision maker and a specific day/time to call back. Just fill that calendar up with those call back entries. You'll find a level of comfort at some point, as well as building a list of times to make follow up calls!

      It'd also be a good idea to script a VM message to verify that it will go to the decision maker (not just a generic office VM) and base it on:

      1. Prospect id
      2. Specification of situation
      3. Hint at your big idea/solution
      4. Call to action
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10373953].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jake Sacks
        Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

        It seems like you're jumping about a mile ahead of where the op needs to be and is likely just going to exacerbate his fear issues.

        He needs to first learn an effective and repeatable intro that can be delivered to those that answer the calls. Since you have no idea who is picking up the call that intro needs to handle quite a bit in a very succinct delivery.

        I'd start there and just begin delivering that intro over and over, most of which will likely result in getting sent to VM or nail down a name of the decision maker and a specific day/time to call back. Just fill that calendar up with those call back entries. You'll find a level of comfort at some point, as well as building a list of times to make follow up calls!

        It'd also be a good idea to script a VM message to verify that it will go to the decision maker (not just a generic office VM) and base it on:

        1. Prospect id
        2. Specification of situation
        3. Hint at your big idea/solution
        4. Call to action
        Yea..


        I guess the point I was trying to make is - don't view it as cold calling. View it as something different. View it as asking a question, not immediately selling.


        That will take away the fear.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10375309].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author scajo
          Hey fellows! You are really helping me out! I appreciate all your tip's and yeah... what should I say? I Love you all?? Maybe not but the tip's you give me... Them I Love! A LOT!

          Every little word is so worthful and i could'nt read that in any kind of "HOW TO SELL" - book. Not in Sweden where i Live.

          And I'm sorry if my grammar is horrible... pleace be parient ☺
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10375368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Don't overthink it.

    You are just calling to let someone know you have a service to offer. Dont think of it like you have to "sell" , just deliver the message. It's the natural thing to do when you have a service that is available "Let people know". Thats all.

    No trickery, no slick talk....just a polite introduction and offer. If not, then at least now they know its available for them, for future reference, if nothing else. Politely wish them a nice day.

    Pushing people into stuff they dont want means you get to have a pain in the ass for weeks to come.... much like they were a pain in the ass to sell to in the first place.

    Just deliver the message and see who "wants" it.

    Someone will.

    I have sold the hardcore way, and the easy going way.... The easy going way is better. Just be natural.

    What is "natural"?

    Doing what you called to do; "Let them know you have a service available for them and find out if they are interested..." Thats all. No pressure.

    Just keep saying hi to people til you come across the one who wants to talk to you. They are always there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10374224].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author themoney222
      I would recommend getting an hourly, entry level job in telemarketing if there is a job opening in your area. I have been working for the same company for 2 and a half months here in Montreal, and I can honestly tell you that the fear I had of cold calling literally reduced by 95%. Why not 100%? Because when I try telemarketing for my own product (entrepreneurship), I still have an attachment to the value of my product and fear of people telling me otherwise; however this is inevitable.

      Success in telemarketing if you keep it simple, and dial the numbers in volume.

      Write a simple intro script geared to reaching the DM, then another script that you say once you confirmed that you have reached the DM. I end my script with, "Would you prefer me to send the free report by email or fax?", and it works wonders for me. I literally have a 30% conversion rate of DM's who either provide me with a fax or email. For example, if I speak to 10 DM's then I get 10 emails/fax numbers to send the report to.

      Remember that in the beginning, fear will always be there. The only way to eliminate the fear is to take action, make the calls because that is when you learn that there was no reason to fear. You are calling other people who have their own lives, and if they are interested that's great, and if they aren't then so be it, it's impossible for everyone to be interested anyways. As long as what you are offering has perceived value to the DM, it is likely that they will accept more information which in turn means another lead and possible a sale.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10374288].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author steve2036
    I certainly understand the struggle! A lot of people dread cold calling but with it still being an effective way to generate business, it is something that must be utilized. Myself and my firm cold call A LOT and if I can give any advice, it would be to "assume the sale" before you get a business owner or potential client on the phone, you need to believe that what you are offering is the solution to all of their problems All business owners want the same thing, more business! So if you get on the phone and speak with conviction, presenting true value to whoever you are speaking with, you will do MUCH better. Ask them questions you already know the answer to, that will lead them to working with you. Like, would you agree that having more customers would make your business more successful? Of course they will agree, now tell them that's what you do- make businesses more successful. (He will ask you how do you do that) BOOM your gate is open

    Do this consistently on the phone for 3 hours a day and you will have more business than you can handle my friend.
    Signature
    You Need Leads- I can get them for you!

    www.mscsolution.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10374361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FreedomBlogger
    There is one very simple solution to your problem here - and this is the most powerful solution there is!!

    PRACTICE

    You will learn best by gaining experience. The fear is normal, and you need to accept it. Do not judge yourself because you are having fear - because it is completely normal.The sooner you accept your fear, the faster you will be able to overcome it.
    Whenever you practice and suck - do not punish yourself - instead, love yourself more

    Because the more you suck, the more you fail, the more you will learn, the more you will grow.

    This is true for everything in life.

    You can also practice with your friends and family. Act out a Cold Calling Scenario with someone - or even something!! haha

    Acting by yourself - can also help you be more confident. Talk to your pillow - imagine the pillow is the person on the other side of the phone.

    Practice on your own, with your friends, and also just go for the Cold Calls - if you do this VERY Consistently - you will get good at it.

    As far as for a Script - the right Script will come up naturally. As you gain experience you will be able to learn what works and what does not. It is smart to take note from every single one of your Cold Calls!

    Of course, you can do some research on tips for scripts and how to talk to people - it will help.

    Here is a very valuable video by Brian Tracy:

    Remember; Practice + Consistency - is the best solution you have to become good at Cold Calling!

    Keep up the great work!

    I hope this helps!
    Signature
    At the beginning, I thought making money online with a blog was super super hard. Not anymore. Learn the art of making money online blogging - step by step - HERE.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10374501].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jimmcdonald909
    Quick.

    Here's my offer....would you like more info. on it?

    Yes/No

    Move on.
    Signature

    Huge profits in lower priced, micro cap, momentum stocks
    www.investmentswithadifference.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10385303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joshnano
    It does get a lot easier the more you do it. Just practice at it like with anything else and it will get easier.

    Just make sure you kind of know what you want to say or talk about, and the key is to [U]let the potential customer lead the conversation[/U] and then you just tailor it from there.
    Signature
    Learn How To Make Money Online & Learn SEO, Web 2.0, Marketing Strategies, Social Media, Content Creation & Much Much More! Offering SEO Services very soon! Visit us below:
    http://www.markethydra.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10385641].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
      Originally Posted by Joshnano View Post

      Just make sure you kind of know what you want to say or talk about, and the key is to let the potential customer lead the conversation and then you just tailor it from there.
      You will NEVER close the way you want to if you let the customer lead. Sales pros lead, not follow.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10386919].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Michael Nguyen View Post

        You will NEVER close the way you want to if you let the customer lead. Sales pros lead, not follow.

        He is talking about a form of leading the conversation with "You tailor it from there..." That is really advanced, natural selling. Paying attention and leading the horse to water... as it takes a few steps forward here and there, you subtly guide it toward the water... Not so much dragging or pushing.

        By the way; Nice to see you around Michael.

        Im a big fan of selling in an easy going manner. No need to feel like you got hit by a semi truck at the end of the day from struggling or thinking too hard about it.... Just an easy going cruise down a list of numbers till you hit some interest. When interest is already there... It's easy to listen and tailor and gently lead.

        Good prospecting is like creating a targeted lead list, only you do it by phone.

        Most people on the lead list are "suspects". With any lead list you want to target it and only speak to people with true interest, ie; "Prospects". My approach has always been to just scan a list saying Hello to a bunch of people until I come across that person. I dont really talk to anyone else or give them energy. I dont want to try and create interest where it isnt. I want to find where the interest already is, and work with it.

        Basically that comes down to having a roughly targeted list in front of me, and scanning through it by dialing the numbers.... Stopping only when I come across the real "prospects" that exist within the roughly targeted list.

        I say roughly because you can target a list that would "seem" like it needs your service, but it isnt truly targeted until you get down to the people who DEFINITELY want it... then you can sell.

        The other option is to have people coming to you, through some form of advertising and only talk to those people.

        Have done it both ways, and the reason Im not an advocate of "Hard Selling" is simply because it isnt necessary. You can achieve the same result much more easily, without all the anguish and selling til you are blue in the face.

        It comes down to really believing that a prospect is out there for you. Somewhere on that list he exists. All you have to do is dial til you come across him.

        Enough dials have proven to me that he is ALWAYS on that list. So I dont sweat it anymore, trying to sell everyone I come across. I just scan til I hit him. Bingo. There's a sale.

        The faster you dial, the quicker you get to him. No struggle. He's there.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10386942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kimanierick
    If you are in that field, then I assume you are qualified unless you are in the wrong place. If you are qualified, then you have the necessary information that you are supposed to pass to the customers. And if you have all these, then you lack something important. you luck self esteem and confidence in yourself. fear of unknown. to overcome this you just need to avoid those negative thoughts, fear of failure. adopt positive thoughts.And instead of just sitting there and thinking, take the phone dial the numbers without thinking then you shall see, you shall not luck words. at first you will fear but as soon as you start conversing you will forget about your fears. Just try. All the best
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10388249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author visimedia
    people r so good at cold calling, where can i find similar service to this?
    Signature

    digital startup looking for partners in China, Taiwan, HK, Korea & Japan. PM me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10388259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vladan1989
    just be sure in yourself, dont let the customer take a lead. that is the point. take care and believe in yourself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10388660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scajo
    This thread has been awesome just because all your answers!
    This is my update from last time I wrote in this thread:

    I'm still struggling but it goes so much better. I also got clients to my web-design-firm and yeah. I work with my cellphone with a flatrate contract wich means that every call is almost free for me. Which is nice.

    What I feel is a problem is my interest phrase and feel that many prospect's don't want to talk to me because I'm working with web, web design etc. and thats boring to many business owners.
    Do you have an idea how I can create some interest about web and web desing?

    Some tip for you to build relations with your customer:
    Instead of sending a mass e-mail via your newsletter services you can send a SMS. It's more personal and I also get some responses because the persons want to be polite.
    On my Samsung phone i can send to groups of contacts which is named as Clients, and then you can send the SMS to 20 contacts each time. It's personal, it's fun read, it's fun to get the answer and you know which clients who respect you and your attempts to be the best supplier in your clients mind.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484004].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Nielsen
      cold calling is a bit like a band aid....it really hurts at first but then you feel better for it in the long run.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484493].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author scajo
        Yep, I know! - and I'm doin it every day. But sometimes I feel that I dont know what to say. Maybe it's because the prospect's response or her or his attitude maybe it's something else that I'm not aware of. Maybe it's me at the end☺
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484608].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremiah Walsh
    Cold calling apprehension is completely normal and is par the course.

    Like anything in life, it take time and practice to get good at it. once you see the success coming through you will fee better about it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10484754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author georgec77
    Banned
    I have the same issues with cold calling, but it primarily stems from my stammering, which I've had since I was a child. Due to this I avoid even calling friends unless necessary, let alone strangers. Thank God for the internet as a means to make a living- I can't imagine working in an office and having to communicate verbally with people all the time.
    Signature
    CMS RoundUp: Comprehensive directory of the best CMSes for your next web project!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10486342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kate Luella
    i honestly recommend that you hire someone (on commission) to do your outbound calls. It's so draining, and time consuming - hire someone who loves to make calls - there are people out there like that. They want simple quick work. You can then spend your time running your web agency.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10490288].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
      Originally Posted by Kate Luella View Post

      i honestly recommend that you hire someone (on commission) to do your outbound calls. It's so draining, and time consuming - hire someone who loves to make calls - there are people out there like that. They want simple quick work. You can then spend your time running your web agency.
      Funny, I don't know where these people are. I guess they're all in Australia somewhere.

      I suppose this is fine if you have an operation that is ticking along and already making you money.

      But what about the person who doesn't have orders?

      Who doesn't have any opportunities in the pipeline, and doesn't have the cash to hire a magical someone to make dials for them?

      What then?

      Is "spend[ing] your time running your web agency" the right choice then?

      Doing busy work?

      Maybe messing a little with that web copy nobody sees?

      Cleaning the lunchroom?

      No.

      A business owner without customers needs sales.

      And the way to get sales is by having great conversations with qualified prospects.

      Guess what?

      The fastest way to get great conversations with qualified prospects is to make targeted prospecting calls.

      Is it the ONLY prospecting method people should be using?

      Nope.

      Is it a prospecting method people, especially those who don't have anything in the pipeline and lack the cash to do something about it, should be using?

      Yes.

      Too much of this forum is about sitting around at the center of some imaginary web, hoping that something flicks a strand so you can scuttle over there and grab that customer.

      That can be a long, long wait if you do it that way.

      And the wait can kill ya.

      What annoys me about "just sub it out" posts is it teaches impressionable newbies nothing of value. In fact, it hurts them because they get the false idea that responsibility for their sales can be offloaded to somebody else.

      It can't.

      No one will ever care as much about your business as you.

      Let's say you DO find someone who will do the work.

      As a know-nothing about prospecting by phone, how will you judge their work?

      When they come back and tell you they've burned through your money and your list, and have nothing to show for it, how will you know whether it's the numbers...or their lack of skill?

      What have you learned?

      Nuthin'.

      Yes, business owners should delegate.

      Yes, business owners should know something about what they're delegating.

      And my biggest issue with the "Can't someone ELSE do it??" </Simpsons> attitude is this:

      Your most important job as the business owner is NOT to manage projects.

      It is to SELL.

      And if you're filling your time with busy work managing projects, you aren't selling.

      Sooner or later that is going to bite you.

      Sooner or later you are going to have to talk to somebody, whether the conversation is inbound or outbound, and sell them. If you have no experience selling, you're going to fail.

      So this is for the impressionable newbies out there.

      Finding reliable subcontractors is tough.

      You as the owner must know enough about what you're talking about so you can manage it.

      No one will ever care as much about your business as you do.

      Don't completely delegate the responsibility of the #1 success or failure factor of your business: Sales. It's the biggest part of your job.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10490314].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
        Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

        Your most important job as the business owner is NOT to manage projects.

        It is to SELL.
        Amen, Brother Jason!

        Amen!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10491241].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10490316].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TCFKen
        I agree with Jason. At some point you have to recognize as the business owner your goal is to drive revenue, initially anyways until you can afford to hire sales people.

        In the beginning it's not supposed to be smooth. You're going to have to do stuff you don't want to.

        BTW, if I'm being really honest.. this stuff really never ends. Right now you might be scared to make calls but in 6 months it will be something else, and a year after that it will again be something else you fear doing.

        It does get easier and you get better at disciplining yourself because there's a ton of rewards from it but you're always going to have to overcome these fears.
        Signature
        Want to Bring On High Ticket, 5 Figure Clients Worth $20,000 & More?

        Watch How We Brought in 7 High Ticket Clients in 19 Days Using a Simple 2-Step Marketing Strategy...


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10490465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cjsparacino123
    I would set up phone appointments for myself and never call because I was too nervous... My heart would start beating fast and I would get all nervous and shook... I manifested my way out of it, I would just keep repeating "I made the calls, I called them" and slowly but surely the fear turned to excitement and I would hit the green call button... good luck!
    Signature

    Grab a Free copy of my investing/marketing eBook!
    http://bit.ly/2h8XV41

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10490674].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
      Originally Posted by cjsparacino123 View Post

      I would set up phone appointments for myself and never call because I was too nervous... My heart would start beating fast and I would get all nervous and shook... I manifested my way out of it, I would just keep repeating "I made the calls, I called them" and slowly but surely the fear turned to excitement and I would hit the green call button... good luck!
      You know that's actually a great approach.

      Change Your Perspective and the situation changes.

      Very good advice.

      Ron
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10491230].message }}

Trending Topics