Register Advertise with usHelp Desk Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Unread 27th Feb 2011, 05:19 PM   #51
Advanced Warrior
War Room Member
 
SirThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,007
Thanks: 251
Thanked 228 Times in 179 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Quentin View Post


If I want to look at my wptouch site on my pc not my phone what is the url to do this?

Quentin
I thought that WPTouch was just a plugin that creates mobile nad tablet "versions" of your WP site?

In other words, if it's only a WP plugin, it shouldn't really matter what you'd use to access the site. It should detect what device access it and switch automatically to the proper version.

Perhaps, I am wrong? would like learn what it really is ;-)


Thomas
SirThomas is offline  
Unread 27th Feb 2011, 08:07 PM   #52
Active Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 74
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Hi Moxil

Please understand I really like WPTouch and think it is an excellent system but not in all circumstances.

I am basing it on experience nothing else.

For example here is a regular site of one of our customers.

Vale Display Solutions

If you try and use WP Touch for most of their pages it looks horrible because there are tables, bits of flash etc.

And I certainly don't want to change their site in order for it to look good on a mobile site.

As for traffic etc I think for a business a site you have full control over will always outperform any generator. Again just my experience.

So here is a question for you.

If I want to look at my wptouch site on my pc not my phone what is the url to do this?

Quentin
Quentin,

I understand, though it's not really about liking it or not. I have nothing to gain from this, but I just don't like seeing misinformation spread around about a product in order to promote another.

About the site you presented:

First, about the tables. If the tables have a set width then yes they probably won't resize and will not look right in WPtouch, but are you aware that it would be possible to create a mobile formatted table or any other way to show the content in that table and have it be viewable only through WPtouch or to those with a mobile device?

About flash - well that's not really a limitation of WPtouch, that would be a device limitation, not sure why you included that.

You wouldn't need to change the site to use WPtouch. Yes, there might be some adjustments needed to be made, but not at the expense of the content that's viewable to desktop users. Desktop users won't even know that WPtouch is being used on the site.

I agree that you should have full control over the site, and WPtouch does not stand in the way of that control whatsoever, not sure where you're getting that from.

If you want to look at a WPtouch site on your PC, there are several ways to do it and you would use the exact same URL you use to look at the desktop view, which is better than having the mobile site at subdomain/subdirectory, in my opinion.

My question for you is, why would you want to view the mobile version on your PC?
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post

I thought that WPTouch was just a plugin that creates mobile nad tablet "versions" of your WP site?

In other words, if it's only a WP plugin, it shouldn't really matter what you'd use to access the site. It should detect what device access it and switch automatically to the proper version.

Perhaps, I am wrong? would like learn what it really is ;-)


Thomas
You are correct.
Moxil is offline  
Unread 27th Feb 2011, 10:26 PM   #53
Advanced Warrior
War Room Member
 
Jay Rhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 751
Thanks: 204
Thanked 218 Times in 158 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by ADukes81 View Post

Great point Jay!

What is on your one page design?

I assume
-Header
-Biz name
-Biz phone number
-Biz address
-Link to main site?

I plan to pick up the phone tomorrow and start setting up some appointments. My goal is to sell 2 of these this week.
My template looks like this (in that order):

-Their logo or bizz name if they don't have one (and we can sell one of course)
-Their phone number big and bold (the key feature of mobile sites IMO is you can click on it and bang - you're talking to them. I demonstrate it in front of them)
-A box for the coupons, special offer, etc. The part where they can change once a week or a month.
-A link to their site if they have one
-Address just below
-Google Map (looks impressive to many and it's so easy to do)
-Slightly below it all MY logo and a link to MY site. It's all the way down but not that subtle. I advertise my website (and that you can find QR code readers there) on the QR Code I provide as well. My self-advertisement is the main reason "why my prices are so low" .

Hope that helps.
Jay Rhome is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jay Rhome For This Useful Post:
Unread 1st Mar 2011, 04:13 PM   #54
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Bennette's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 324
Thanks: 294
Thanked 108 Times in 51 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Scott thanks for sharing. I was looking for more ways to open the doors when I'm talking with businesses and networking.

I see your in the City...I'm from San Francisco as well
Bennette is offline  
Unread 1st Mar 2011, 04:37 PM   #55
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Bennette View Post

Scott thanks for sharing. I was looking for more ways to open the doors when I'm talking with businesses and networking.

I see your in the City...I'm from San Francisco as well
Hi,

Fantastic there is lots of opportunity here in the City and Bay Area. I have found that mobile web design gets me in to meet business owners...and they are not overwhelmed with everyone and their mother calling about selling SEO services ect...its refreshing to come in at this angle.

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
Unread 1st Mar 2011, 05:40 PM   #56
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Bennette's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 324
Thanks: 294
Thanked 108 Times in 51 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by scotth View Post

Hi,

Fantastic there is lots of opportunity here in the City and Bay Area. I have found that mobile web design gets me in to meet business owners...and they are not overwhelmed with everyone and their mother calling about selling SEO services ect...its refreshing to come in at this angle.
I don't live in the Bay Area now, that's where I'm originally from.

I find whatever way you can position yourself differently helps. It is something that I will look into for my networking.

Have you tracked you're calling ratio when telemarketing? Do you find it runs about the same as calling for any other service ie. 100 calls equal 2 appts..etc.
Bennette is offline  
Unread 1st Mar 2011, 05:49 PM   #57
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Bennette View Post

I don't live in the Bay Area now, that's where I'm originally from.

I find whatever way you can position yourself differently helps. It is something that I will look into for my networking.

Have you tracked you're calling ratio when telemarketing? Do you find it runs about the same as calling for any other service ie. 100 calls equal 2 appts..etc.
I have not done any statistics on my calling ratio...How am doing it right now with very positive results...call businesses that use the flash sites..like Groupon, Living Social, Bloomspot ect...my pitch basically is how a mobile ready site can enhance their current campaign on Groupon...I get out maybe 5-10 calls i get one meeting.

ScottH

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
Unread 1st Mar 2011, 05:57 PM   #58
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Bennette's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 324
Thanks: 294
Thanked 108 Times in 51 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

That's cool Scott and very impressive...thanks for sharing.
Bennette is offline  
Unread 1st Mar 2011, 09:17 PM   #59
HyperActive Warrior
 
Bobster0007's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 215
Thanks: 41
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Ok so, if i buy this WSO is it going to teach someone that knows nothing much about building websites ( just basic HTML ) and nothing about the mobile technology? Be able to answer basic questions that the business owner is going to ask? And who all actually needs it anyway? All websites using some flash? Do i load the business web sit on a smart phone to check if they need my help? Obviously these are basic questions and i dont know but would like to. Where can i find these types of answers?
Bobster0007 is offline  
Unread 1st Mar 2011, 10:05 PM   #60
Small Business Advocate
War Room Member
 
cma01's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2008
Location: Houston, Texas, USA.
Posts: 379
Thanks: 138
Thanked 113 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

I'm a little confused why you wouldn't just set up an alternate stylesheet for handheld devices.

Is it because the code of their existing site is crap? Unless they have a web site with an archaic table layout, a separate web site just doesn't make sense to me.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
~ Plato
cma01 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cma01 For This Useful Post:
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 12:32 AM   #61
Web Marketing For Profit
War Room Member
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1,162 Times in 528 Posts
Blog Entries: 10
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Yes it is a system where you add your graphics text etc and the scrit shrinks it to fit which ever screen size the phone has.

Bob

Yes we give you everything and if you need help I can answer any questions.

Quentin

Quentin is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 12:36 AM   #62
Web Marketing For Profit
War Room Member
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1,162 Times in 528 Posts
Blog Entries: 10
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post

I thought that WPTouch was just a plugin that creates mobile nad tablet "versions" of your WP site?

In other words, if it's only a WP plugin, it shouldn't really matter what you'd use to access the site. It should detect what device access it and switch automatically to the proper version.

Perhaps, I am wrong? would like learn what it really is ;-)


Thomas
WP touch is a great plugin however if you have a complicated wordpress site it will wont look that good.

Also you wont get much google juice for your mobile site through it.

Q

Quentin is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 12:46 AM   #63
Web Marketing For Profit
War Room Member
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1,162 Times in 528 Posts
Blog Entries: 10
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Hi Moxil

First let me say that WP touch is an excellent product I use quite a lot but if I have to go through and restructure a whole website so it fits in then I may as well just make a mobile site myself.

This is an example of one of our customers that has quite a comprehensive site and we had 5 like this.

Vale Display Solutions

We added WPtouch and all the customers rang me almost immediately as they looked absolutely horrible. Thats actually part of the reason why I had to develop this system.

I have tried nearly all the plugin available and none did a good job.

If you can give me a url to look at a wptouch example I would love that.

Why would you want to do this.

To show the customer who does not have a smart phone what it would look like.

Quentin

Quentin is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 06:44 AM   #64
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Michael Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2008
Location: , , USA.
Posts: 254
Thanks: 26
Thanked 150 Times in 41 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

ScottH,

You mention in one of your earlier posts that you optimize your mobile sites for mobile search. Can you explain more of what you do to optimize the site? Is it the same type of optimization as a non-mobile site? I am assuming you optimize the Title, Keywords, Meta Description and such. Is there a guideline I can get on what should be optimized?

Thanks,

Michael
Michael Travis is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 09:59 AM   #65
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Yes in Quentin's WSO he has a section for optimizing the mobile site. Its a bit different than a standard website SEO.

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 10:17 AM   #66
Web Marketing For Profit
War Room Member
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1,162 Times in 528 Posts
Blog Entries: 10
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Hey Michael

They are simple htm sites so we use all the on page SEO things like keyword rich headings, titles tags and descriptions.

We do use some different search engines to list mobile sites and use the analytics mobile page to see where and how we are attracting mobile visitors.

So still basic SEO

Quentin

Quentin is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 11:37 AM   #67
Active Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 74
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Hi Moxil

First let me say that WP touch is an excellent product I use quite a lot but if I have to go through and restructure a whole website so it fits in then I may as well just make a mobile site myself.

This is an example of one of our customers that has quite a comprehensive site and we had 5 like this.

Vale Display Solutions

We added WPtouch and all the customers rang me almost immediately as they looked absolutely horrible. Thats actually part of the reason why I had to develop this system.

I have tried nearly all the plugin available and none did a good job.

If you can give me a url to look at a wptouch example I would love that.

Why would you want to do this.

To show the customer who does not have a smart phone what it would look like.

Quentin
I guess we see it differently...I see it as 'why would I want to create a separate mobile site if I can just tweak the current one a bit...'

The example site you showed is, with all due respect, a very poorly formatted website. Just look at the contact page's table containing the names and phone #s... I personally would fix that whether I was using a mobile plugin or not. So I don't think it's right to blame wptouch or any other plugin for not being able to properly format an already poorly structured website.

There's actually a feature in wptouch pro that can be used specifically to show the customer what it will look like without using a smartphone...
Moxil is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 01:48 PM   #68
Mobile Expert
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2011
Posts: 287
Thanks: 18
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

can anyone help me with this question?

if people have already a website hosted by another company, but they want a mobile site also.. what about the domain? create a new .com for it? or how do you guys fix that problem

Proud owner of the most flexible mobile app builder. Check it out at http://bit.ly/hybrica!
Mobile Web Expert & Android Developer
Jonas B is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 02:07 PM   #69
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by zebix View Post

can anyone help me with this question?

if people have already a website hosted by another company, but they want a mobile site also.. what about the domain? create a new .com for it? or how do you guys fix that problem
What I do which I learned from Quentin...I add a sub-domain m.yourdomain to the business domain its not the only way but its how I am doing it.

ScottH

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 02:28 PM   #70
Mobile Expert
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2011
Posts: 287
Thanks: 18
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by scotth View Post

What I do which I learned from Quentin...I add a sub-domain m.yourdomain to the business domain its not the only way but its how I am doing it.

ScottH
yeah but if a another hosting company has bought that domain.. i don't think they will allow me to add a subdomain so i can earn money while they could don't you?

Proud owner of the most flexible mobile app builder. Check it out at http://bit.ly/hybrica!
Mobile Web Expert & Android Developer
Jonas B is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 02:36 PM   #71
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by zebix View Post

yeah but if a another hosting company has bought that domain.. i don't think they will allow me to add a subdomain so i can earn money while they could don't you?
not sure what your saying...I have a client his business domain is called tyleralberti.com I build him a mobile site than I upload those files to his domain and add it as a subdomain called m.tyleralberti.com put that one in your smart phone.

ScottH

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 02:51 PM   #72
Mobile Expert
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2011
Posts: 287
Thanks: 18
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by scotth View Post

not sure what your saying...I have a client his business domain is called tyleralberti.com I build him a mobile site than I upload those files to his domain and add it as a subdomain called m.tyleralberti.com put that one in your smart phone.

ScottH
uhm so basically i want to target people who already have a website.. but not a mobile site. But there website is not made by me and i don't host their site nor i created and handle the domain. So i don't think i can ask the competition (even if they don't do mobile websites) to add a subdomain?

Or what you think

Proud owner of the most flexible mobile app builder. Check it out at http://bit.ly/hybrica!
Mobile Web Expert & Android Developer
Jonas B is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 03:00 PM   #73
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by zebix View Post

uhm so basically i want to target people who already have a website.. but not a mobile site. But there website is not made by me and i don't host their site nor i created and handle the domain. So i don't think i can ask the competition (even if they don't do mobile websites) to add a subdomain?

Or what you think

Competition for what? I got the mobile design...i can care less of a web designer hosting their site and me giving him the files to upload...my foots in the door so now time for upsell to SEO services..that is my main goal to get in the door selling mobile web sites...no one at least in my city which is San Francisco where you think there would be competition there is none for mobile...so I am unique to the business owner who gets hundreds of calls for SEO ect..So what I am saying dont let that get in the way of taking action...all the money is in the marketing via the internet for the business owner...not mobile web design its just how I open the door!

Bottom line if you get your clients phone to ring and the door to swing via the internet..the business owner will never let you go ever and pay you handsomely!

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotth For This Useful Post:
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 03:32 PM   #74
Mobile Expert
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2011
Posts: 287
Thanks: 18
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by scotth View Post

Competition for what? I got the mobile design...i can care less of a web designer hosting their site and me giving him the files to upload...my foots in the door so now time for upsell to SEO services..that is my main goal to get in the door selling mobile web sites...no one at least in my city which is San Francisco where you think there would be competition there is none for mobile...so I am unique to the business owner who gets hundreds of calls for SEO ect..So what I am saying dont let that get in the way of taking action...all the money is in the marketing via the internet for the business owner...not mobile web design its just how I open the door!

Bottom line if you get your clients phone to ring and the door to swing via the internet..the business owner will never let you go ever and pay you handsomely!
ok thanks man.. me and 2 friends are trying to setup a (really) small business by webdesign.. but as we are just students it will be basic websites but i think it is a great opportunity to give them a bonus (and increase the price offcourse xD) and that would be a mobile website

Proud owner of the most flexible mobile app builder. Check it out at http://bit.ly/hybrica!
Mobile Web Expert & Android Developer
Jonas B is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 09:29 PM   #75
Web Marketing For Profit
War Room Member
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1,162 Times in 528 Posts
Blog Entries: 10
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Hey Moxil

That is what the customer wants. Whether you like it or not their page is getting great results and that in the end is what it is all about.

I am not saying do not use WP Touch as it is a great plugin. I use it a lot however it is all about the customer and in the end the site even if it is not what you like does not work on WPTouch.

It would take a lot to change it and the customer like his site and it performs.

Zebix

I like to add their mobile to a m.theirdomain.com. The idea is to use your mobile site to then get in the door to upgrade their standard site. If I dont get there hosting I offer the mobile site at a slightly higher fee.


Quentin

Quentin is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 09:53 PM   #76
Active Warrior
 
Join Date: 2011
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by zebix View Post

uhm so basically i want to target people who already have a website.. but not a mobile site. But there website is not made by me and i don't host their site nor i created and handle the domain. So i don't think i can ask the competition (even if they don't do mobile websites) to add a subdomain?

Or what you think
What he means is that the company already has a domain registered by their old web designers and he can't make a subdomain without asking the old web designers.
What you can do is ask the company for them to make a subdomain and point to your dns server, register a new domain or purchase it off them (not worth the hassle.)
jsnfou is offline  
Unread 2nd Mar 2011, 11:31 PM   #77
Advanced Warrior
War Room Member
 
SirThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,007
Thanks: 251
Thanked 228 Times in 179 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

I possibly missed this, but if you add ~m~ for subdomain, does it automatically open when people using mobile phones access the original domain name (without m) or they have to know that particular subdomain address?


Thomas
SirThomas is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 03:07 AM   #78
Active Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 74
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Hey Moxil

That is what the customer wants. Whether you like it or not their page is getting great results and that in the end is what it is all about.

I am not saying do not use WP Touch as it is a great plugin. I use it a lot however it is all about the customer and in the end the site even if it is not what you like does not work on WPTouch.

It would take a lot to change it and the customer like his site and it performs.

Quentin
I'm happy for you and the customer, and I hope he or she continues to see great results from the website.

I know you're not saying to not use wptouch or any other plugin, it's just that you keep misinforming people here about other products. I thought I would point out the misinformation to help others out, and maybe you too...

Enjoy your day
Moxil is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 03:12 AM   #79
Active Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 74
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post

I possibly missed this, but if you add ~m~ for subdomain, does it automatically open when people using mobile phones access the original domain name (without m) or they have to know that particular subdomain address?


Thomas
Well if a user access m.domain.com directly they'll see the mobile site if it's located there. It's a good idea to use a redirect, based on user agent or display size using a .htaccess/javascript/php redirect.


User on a desktop browser goes to domain.com -> leave user here
User on a mobile device goes to domain.com -> take user to m.domain.com
Moxil is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 03:14 AM   #80
Active Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 74
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by zebix View Post

uhm so basically i want to target people who already have a website.. but not a mobile site. But there website is not made by me and i don't host their site nor i created and handle the domain. So i don't think i can ask the competition (even if they don't do mobile websites) to add a subdomain?

Or what you think
If you're targeting businesses with existing websites, explain that the mobile site will not interfere or take the place of the normal/existing website. You won't be working against the person (the one you refer to as the competition) who handles the existing website, you'll be working along with them.
Moxil is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 03:24 AM   #81
Web Marketing For Profit
War Room Member
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1,162 Times in 528 Posts
Blog Entries: 10
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Hey Moxil

You said:

If you want to look at a WPtouch site on your PC, there are several ways to do it and you would use the exact same URL you use to look at the desktop view, which is better than having the mobile site at subdomain/subdirectory, in my opinion.


And I asked how and still waiting to see a demo of this.

Also I don't see what I am saying as misinformation but presenting different sides to the story. We try and provide our students with many different ways to present the same thing as their clients may require this.

I guess it is a matter of perception.

Quentin

Quentin is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 03:30 AM   #82
Active Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 74
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Hey Moxil

Well I guess it is a matter of perception.

I don't see it as misinformation but allowing people to see both sides of the story from my experience.

By the way you still have not given me the url for a wptouch site that i can view on my desktop.

But no link yet that I can see.

You said:

If you want to look at a WPtouch site on your PC, there are several ways to do it and you would use the exact same URL you use to look at the desktop view, which is better than having the mobile site at subdomain/subdirectory, in my opinion.

Quentin
Whether it is based on your experiences or not, it is still misinformation.

Are you asking for the link because you need proof it can be accomplished?
Moxil is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 08:12 AM   #83
Warrior Member
 
Join Date: 2011
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

my experience with a very untapped market.
hallpart is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 08:28 AM   #84
Web Marketing For Profit
War Room Member
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1,162 Times in 528 Posts
Blog Entries: 10
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Hi Moxil

I would like to see it just out of interest as I am sure others would. I like learning things. You said you could show it so I thought you would do what you say.

Plus I like to give my customers every edge and I think this would be good thing for them to know. I like to give them everything I can find.

Anyway I bypassed you and went direct to the guys at Wp Touch.

Here is what Dale said:

Oh. That's unsupported, but it would be as simple as adding desktop borwser agents to the custom user agents section, and it'll override whatever theme you had selected in the WOrdPress admin theme settings. So adding Safari, Firefox, IE Would show the WPtouch theme on those browsers now.

Now sure how users will respond, they may think it a mistake, especially since the mobile switch link in the footer suggests the opposite.


So easy however wont look very good unless you add some CSS

<style type="text/css">
div.content{
max-width:500px !important;
margin-left: auto !important;
margin-right: auto !important;
}
</style>

So you can view it and then change it back.

Quentin

Quentin is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 08:42 AM   #85
World No 1 Newbies Coach
War Room Member
 
David Cavanagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2003
Location: Pattaya, Thailand (Originally from Australia)
Posts: 482
Thanks: 101
Thanked 196 Times in 120 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Moxil,

Quentin has asked a simple question here and you seem to be "avoiding" the issue of returning a site for him to look at for you.

It's ironic that people like you seem to challenge Warriors like Quentin who's been all over the World teaching thousands of students, been on the Warrior Forum for 9 years (with 4,237 posts and thanked over 500 times), and yet you're a total newbie here with next to nothing of great insight to add (with a grand total of 38 posts and thanked 4 times).

Methinks you should "work in" with experienced Warriors if we're all here to help, assist, education and profit from our online association. Get my point?

Show me the site or sites you've done, what results you've got, how we can all learn from you, and I'll be the first one to take my hat off to you and say "thank you".

Thanks :-)

David Cavanagh

David Cavanagh is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to David Cavanagh For This Useful Post:
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 09:23 AM   #86
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post

Moxil,

Quentin has asked a simple question here and you seem to be "avoiding" the issue of returning a site for him to look at for you.

It's ironic that people like you seem to challenge Warriors like Quentin who's been all over the World teaching thousands of students, been on the Warrior Forum for 9 years (with 4,237 posts and thanked over 500 times), and yet you're a total newbie here with next to nothing of great insight to add (with a grand total of 38 posts and thanked 4 times).

Methinks you should "work in" with experienced Warriors if we're all here to help, assist, education and profit from our online association. Get my point?

Show me the site or sites you've done, what results you've got, how we can all learn from you, and I'll be the first one to take my hat off to you and say "thank you".

Thanks :-)

David Cavanagh
Nice post Dave...I can say Quentin is a stand up person...I personally dont know him..but he has graciously has answered all my questions concerning his WSO over and beyond...This whole thread is how I have found a niche in my local market that I wanted to share my success so others might find interest and another way to reach out business owners with the mobile design angel.

Were all here to help each other and share our experiences of success and failures..debate is good...its how we learn and grow as marketers.

ScottH

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 09:42 AM   #87
Advanced Warrior
War Room Member
 
Jay Rhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 751
Thanks: 204
Thanked 218 Times in 158 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

HI Scott.

I'm on my way out to prospect some businesses. It's weird I feel fine for many parts of it, except for a good introduction! Any "first line" tips would be appreciated.

Also, do you bring a contract with you that the takers sign on the spot? An invoice?

I thought of taking checks for the first time around (postdating it one week for the ones who do not feel comfortable), and when I come back a 2nd time to "deliver the QR Code", then bring the agreement to sign and the recurring payment info.
Jay Rhome is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 09:52 AM   #88
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Hi Jay,

I take a invoice with me made out to the business owner..If I dont get the sale first time around I leave them with the invoice which has all the info on what they are getting and I have business owners call me back from the invoice ready to move forward..its just filling that pipeline full of 10 min meetings...next thing you know you have plenty of business.

Once I get some of the small talk out of the way and have his or her full attention I explain the value of having a mobile ready site and why this will bring new business to to them..then I pull out iphone and first show them their site which does not look good on a smart phone then show my one page mock up of their site they are taken back.

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotth For This Useful Post:
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 09:58 AM   #89
Advanced Warrior
War Room Member
 
Jay Rhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 751
Thanks: 204
Thanked 218 Times in 158 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

I have made 6 web pages ready for 6 businesses, but I'll go totally cold for the others around them. I walk in cold for those 6 also, but I can show them their own stuff, own phone numbers and call them. I just don't have my "intro first lines" yet.

I have to figure out a way for recurring payments too.

BTW I don't know if that has happened to you, but now the damn Google Maps don't load in my Android unless I click on "enlarge map". Instead it's a white box with my gmail in it... It's not the coding as it was working yesterday... Talk about bad timing!
Jay Rhome is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 10:10 AM   #90
Active Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 74
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Hi Moxil

I would like to see it just out of interest as I am sure others would. I like learning things. You said you could show it so I thought you would do what you say.

Plus I like to give my customers every edge and I think this would be good thing for them to know. I like to give them everything I can find.

Anyway I bypassed you and went direct to the guys at Wp Touch.

Here is what Dale said:

Oh. That's unsupported, but it would be as simple as adding desktop borwser agents to the custom user agents section, and it'll override whatever theme you had selected in the WOrdPress admin theme settings. So adding Safari, Firefox, IE Would show the WPtouch theme on those browsers now.

Now sure how users will respond, they may think it a mistake, especially since the mobile switch link in the footer suggests the opposite.


So easy however wont look very good unless you add some CSS

<style type="text/css">
div.content{
max-width:500px !important;
margin-left: auto !important;
margin-right: auto !important;
}
</style>

So you can view it and then change it back.

Quentin
Glad you went out of your way to get your answer. Now you see it's possible .
Moxil is offline  
Unread 3rd Mar 2011, 01:16 PM   #91
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Moxil View Post

Whether it is based on your experiences or not, it is still misinformation.

Are you asking for the link because you need proof it can be accomplished?
Moxil love to see your work curious...Quentin showed his work I showed my work lets see yours!

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
Unread 4th Mar 2011, 10:14 AM   #92
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Jay Rhome View Post

I have made 6 web pages ready for 6 businesses, but I'll go totally cold for the others around them. I walk in cold for those 6 also, but I can show them their own stuff, own phone numbers and call them. I just don't have my "intro first lines" yet.

I have to figure out a way for recurring payments too.

BTW I don't know if that has happened to you, but now the damn Google Maps don't load in my Android unless I click on "enlarge map". Instead it's a white box with my gmail in it... It's not the coding as it was working yesterday... Talk about bad timing!
I am sure walking in cold with a mobile design to show them you did for their business..you will for sure close a couple of them...keep taking that type of action and you will be very busy!

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
Unread 5th Mar 2011, 10:03 PM   #93
HyperActive Warrior
 
Join Date: 2010
Posts: 155
Thanks: 205
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Great information thanks for sharing some many ideas. Some were old quite a few were new.
fgrimes is offline  
Unread 6th Mar 2011, 11:54 PM   #94
Active Warrior
 
ballanrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2011
Location: Still Deciding
Posts: 67
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Relatively new guy to forum as a member but have been absorbing everything like a sponge for some time now. I would like to thank everyone that takes the time to educate fellow members like myself in order for me to get a piece of the pie, so to speak.

I've found the thread about mobile sites very intriguing and have spent a lot of time reading every post I can find on the forum and thanks to scotth along with information from Quentin I think I am going to hit the ground running on mobile sites with QR codes sprinkled in there somewhere.

The question below is based on the assumption the potential client has a website(lets say a good to excellent one) so the regular site is not going to be updated at this time. I am initially going in with the intent to sell a mobile site which may lead to SEO, etc down the road. Lets say I am creating a sub domain m.domain.com for the mobile site.

I have looked in to many of the options available with wordpress and HTML sites in general.

My question:

I am interested in feedback concerning wordpress themes that are mobile friendly compared to HTML sites that are mobile friendly. Meaning, based on a customers needs, perhaps not across the board but what seems like a lot it may be advantageous to use a CMS in order to provide timely updates and or train your client if that is what works for them. For instance the default twenty ten theme on wordpress has a plugin (responsive twenty ten) that seems to work well after numerous tests on different platforms. Additionally, I have tested a few more existing mobile themes out there and are aware of update issues, etc that could occur but can't think of many negatives if you have the ability to write your own wordpress mobile theme and of course support it.

I do enjoy using Dreamweaver and thanks to Quentin I downloaded the mobile template provided by him on a past thread and fully intend to purchase his WSO after all the research I've done. But, what are some deciding factors I should take into account when deciding on a CMS mobile site or a HTML site?

I am no more than a novice website design person with ability to copy and paste but am well versed in many areas including ecommerce with a sales background in technology and software so any feedback from fellow members is appreciated.

Thanks

POP the Champagne cork I can PM now!

Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it......


-Henry David Thoreau
ballanrk is offline  
Unread 7th Mar 2011, 10:26 AM   #95
Advanced Warrior
War Room Member
 
Jay Rhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Posts: 751
Thanks: 204
Thanked 218 Times in 158 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by ballanrk View Post

I am no more than a novice website design person with ability to copy and paste but am well versed in many areas including ecommerce with a sales background in technology and software so any feedback from fellow members is appreciated.
Seems to me then you are totally qualified to select your method. I use html sites myself (I bought Quentin's tutorial) because I like to keep it all in house, no updates needed (as with WP, etc.).

Maybe I'd do things differently if I also did the desktop site - actually in this case I'd outsource it all as I suck at graphics. And BTW that's the good thing about mobile sites: there's very little graphic deisgn to do so it's much easier to create a good looking mobile site.
Jay Rhome is offline  
Unread 8th Mar 2011, 10:02 AM   #96
Active Warrior
 
Join Date: 2008
Location: , , United Kingdom.
Posts: 84
Thanks: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Hi scotth

OK heres where I am, I have bought into Quentin's script and think its fantastic, but just want to ask you a few questions.

1. When you mention Free hosting to your clients, are you increasing your price and purchasing hosting for them, or is it residing in your hosting account, or do you have a designated server?

2. Have you experienced difficulties securing login info from the clients existing web designer to code the redirection script?

3. Prior to buying Quentins script I had discussed mobile sites with a number of people, a number of which have become used to using some form of CMS for their updates, have you come across this?

The reason I ask is that I am now seeing companies who are marketing a number of options, files and upload only, wordpress and cms or html with cms......hence I would like to be armed with as many options as possible!

I have already emailed Quentin and he his looking into the whole idea of providing a CMS option.

When I view what you and others are doing maybe I'm over complicating things? However having CMS does allow a different charging structure......I've also noted that some people develop the site without any intent to carry out monthly maintenance, not too sure this is right for the client!

With regards to m.mycompany.com against lets say a .mobi extension I am of the opinion that .mobi will take precedence at sometime in the future for mobile search with all search engines, so I can see that creating a sub domain at present is great for redirection, but in the future I feel .mobi will have more weight added to it from a SEO perspective.

Hope you get the gist and many thanks for starting a very informative and important conversation.

Chris

Get your affiliate marketing business off to a good start, visit Secret Affiliate Cash and pick up your Free Affiliate Marketing Report.
Christopher Raine is offline  
Unread 8th Mar 2011, 10:00 PM   #97
Advanced Warrior
War Room Member
 
SirThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,007
Thanks: 251
Thanked 228 Times in 179 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Mr.Quentin,

Can we design our own sites and just use your script (or parts of your code) to shrink them to appropriate widths? (flexible to fit different phone types)

Just curious? :-)


Thomas
SirThomas is offline  
Unread 8th Mar 2011, 11:13 PM   #98
Warrior Member
 
Mobi Websites's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2011
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Nice post, we are also making a killing with mobile sites. We have QR Codes placed on our business cards and marketing materials. We provide on the spot demonstrations at networking events and our simple sites are selling like hot cakes.

Were delivering sites for $300 with $29 per month hosting to clients.

Join the mobile revolution! Create your mobi website today, discount for all warriors, goMobi! Free trial.
Mobi Websites is offline  
Unread 9th Mar 2011, 12:05 PM   #99
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 325
Thanks: 9
Thanked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

Originally Posted by Christopher Raine View Post

Hi scotth

OK heres where I am, I have bought into Quentin's script and think its fantastic, but just want to ask you a few questions.

1. When you mention Free hosting to your clients, are you increasing your price and purchasing hosting for them, or is it residing in your hosting account, or do you have a designated server?

2. Have you experienced difficulties securing login info from the clients existing web designer to code the redirection script?

3. Prior to buying Quentins script I had discussed mobile sites with a number of people, a number of which have become used to using some form of CMS for their updates, have you come across this?

The reason I ask is that I am now seeing companies who are marketing a number of options, files and upload only, wordpress and cms or html with cms......hence I would like to be armed with as many options as possible!

I have already emailed Quentin and he his looking into the whole idea of providing a CMS option.

When I view what you and others are doing maybe I'm over complicating things? However having CMS does allow a different charging structure......I've also noted that some people develop the site without any intent to carry out monthly maintenance, not too sure this is right for the client!

With regards to m.mycompany.com against lets say a .mobi extension I am of the opinion that .mobi will take precedence at sometime in the future for mobile search with all search engines, so I can see that creating a sub domain at present is great for redirection, but in the future I feel .mobi will have more weight added to it from a SEO perspective.

Hope you get the gist and many thanks for starting a very informative and important conversation.

Chris
Hi Chris,

1. I have just been selling mobile designs no hosting fee...I upload it to their current host..create a subdomain m.

2. No problems as of yet

3. No..I charge for updates...depends on how many times they want a update..I charge $47-$97 per month.

Not sure on the optimization m. vs .mobi.

Chris my main goal with mobile design is my foot in the door..I want to be their internet marketer for everything internet related. Thats where all the money is and recurring.

There are many different ways to get your foot in the door of your local business...also some thread I read here on the WF which now I am implementing...all the businesses that use Groupon ect...paying them 30-50% of the offer is crazy...so from what I learned here on the WF is offer them how they can capitalize on these flash-sale-sites is get their list of buyers onto their own list...once they have a good size list from these flash sites now they can blast them with their own sales offer and not pay any % to these groupons type sites. Just pay me to put a opt-in on their website and mangage their list..hell of lot cheaper! Huge Door Opener.

ScottH

Based in Costa Rica Living my life on my terms a expat lifestyle and traveling the world at will. Time Freedom is True Freedom!
scotth is offline  
Unread 9th Mar 2011, 12:38 PM   #100
Active Warrior
War Room Member
 
MKBridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2010
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 97
Thanks: 20
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Default
Re: Mobile Ready Websites big business in our local market!
Share on: 
fb share twitter share gplus share more share

I have an appointment with a friend who is a Realtor tomorrow. I have a mock up of a mobile site for him which I will present. I am hoping that if he really likes it, he will tell (and show) all his real estate agent buddies about it and where to get theirs!
I think this would be a real hit with Realtors, so if you know one, give him a gift of a free site and let him do the advertising! I will let you know how it goes.

OK, so I have a couple tech questions - I am using Quentin's product with Kompozer, but I am not sure how to link the phone number so it makes the call. Also, I tried to link the Realtor's listings from his main website, but I keep getting an error. If anyone can help with these tech questions, that would be fantastic.
Thanks Katherine
MKBridge is offline  
Closed Thread


Bookmarks

Tags
big, business, local, market, mobile, ready, sites, web, websites


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 AM.