Our company has been offering free mold inspections basically forever, and I'm begining to think its a terrible idea.
Although I'm honestly not sure which is why I'm asking here.
The fact is 99% of our competitors do free inspections.
But with mold specifically, let me list out a few problems we always see.
1) The primary reason, it attracts scum.
2) People will call just to get a free estimate written, so they can use that estimate against their landlord without any intentions of paying for the work themselves. These types of situations rarely result in us getting the job.
3) People will call for the free estimate, just to show insurance that they have a mold problem, hoping they change their minds, when insurance has already told them they won't cover the work. Again, these usually never come through.
4) This kinda goes along with 3. But sometimes insurance will say they will cover the work, the person doesn't actually care or even want the work in the first place. But they will still call us, then ask us to quote them a ridiculous price, so they can keep a portion of the money insurance gives them. The worst thing with these types of prospects, they will outright lie, fake like they really want the work done, then the second they realize we won't do it, they lose a lot of their urgency to do the work in the first place.
5) It will sometimes lead to bad reviews. Sometimes people will lie about them owning a home then the inspector gets there and finds out they haven't bought it yet. Then we will say something like "there is a fee for these types of inspections", which we say in our marketing *homeowners only*. But these rude f##ks will go online and leave bad reviews when we try to charge them.
The benefits of free inspections?
1) Its easier to get in a home and pitch our service.
What do we do?
One part of me feels like "sure, its easier to get in these homes... but is it even worth it?" It seems to just attract broke people.
If we charge for inspections, then we'll have to deal with people saying "well none of your competitors do that". But at this point, I'm not sure I care.
The fact is, I know for a fact, most the companies offering free inspections have to COMPENSATE for them in some way. And the way they typically do that is by exagerating problems in the home... OR significantly raising the price of the estimate.
So I can put in bold on our site "Warning: What You Need To Know About Companies Offering 'Free" Mold Inspections".
I'm also thinking, this might motivate me more to use PPC. I will put right in my headlines that we charge for inspections, and maybe that will stop all the broke assholes from clicking on our ads. This is a huge reason why I don't use PPC.
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
I'm thinking, maybe just charging a low fee, is better than no fee at all. We can put the fee right on our website and in our headlines.
I see so many of our competitors using the free inspections in their PPC ads. Or a stupid "$500 OFF" coupon. And I keep asking myself.... why the hell am I trying to position myself the same way (on our site)?
If I did PPC this way, I'd basically be paying $25 a click, so cheap assholes can call up, the inspector wastes 2 hours driving there and back/doing the estimate, so we can find out the person has no intention of doing the work, but just wanted to see if they had a problem.