Let me just clarify this a bit please. Forgive me here – its rather a long definition and explanation as to what I intend to do, but its fully necessary just to make it as crystal clear as I can do so. For anyone remotely interested in SEO it should be interesting reading nevertheless.
One of the recent posts on the WF in this part of the forum was along the lines of “how to define a good to great keyword?”.
Excellent question! But one that can only be answered truly by the person who wishes to make the definition. Meaning one of the following:
* would you wish to attain a high ranking for a keyword phrase that is going to bring you buyers regardless there are perhaps only around 2 thousand searches per month in Google stats? (Very possibly a long-tail keyword).
* or are you looking to rank a keyword phrase that has 50,000 + searches a month and not too concerned about it being a buyer-related keyword? After all, with a large search volume, no matter your chosen keyword you should get at the very least a few sales, right (or wrong)?
* or perhaps the definition for you relates much more about how much competition there is in the likes of Google. If I stipulate something along the lines of 20 million competition for the same keyword phrase you wish to rank for, does that mean its a good or great keyword if you can indeed rank highly for it?
I know there are other ways to define a good or great keyword – some based more upon your own personal reasoning and requirements, perhaps. A good or great keyword is in the eye of the beholder – yes, similar to beauty...
For me then, a good or great keyword (or beautiful keyword, if you like) for this particular exercise would have to encompass a number of those points above, if not all 3 together. Namely:
1. must have potential buyers (not necessarily long tail however)
2. must have over 50 thousand searches a month as per Google stats in the Google External keyword tool – this is the EXACT MATCH and not BROAD
3. well okay, the competition as per the Google stats is not what I would focus on at all. I don't care if there are 5,000 comp or 50 million comp. There are other factors more important at play than this sort of competition. But for the sake of many, I shall indeed mention the competition of my chosen keyword
Okay, onwards. My intention is to detail the process of ranking my chosen keyword/keyword phrase – call it what you will, in Google, in the top 5 within a 40 day time frame from very start (once I have chosen my keyword and announced this on this thread) to very end. I shall only purchase the chosen keyword AFTER this challenge begins, and would expect it to be Google indexed some 5 days or so after I make the purchase.
40 days may be too short a time for a top 5 – this has yet to be seen. There can be no guarantee because ultimately its up to Google, and there are a number of other factors that I am obviously unable to control. I will however, do my best!
Why am I doing this? Why do I want to expose my deep SEO secrets to you, a stranger? And why would I wish to risk my reputation on the Warrior Forum (and beyond). Hmmmm.... good question really – its rather nerve racking!
There are a number of reasons, but one is to help to educate and offer support for many folks who are really struggling with choosing keywords and ranking webpages in the likes of Google. I do totally and absolutely know how incredibly frustrating and seemingly unattainable this whole process seems, particularly when new at the “game” of SEO. I spent a load of time and a load of money (most of which was a waste) on trying out new techniques in an effort to make money online.
Fairly early on however, I realized that perhaps the best way was to learn SEO. And thus I embarked upon learning the ropes and putting into practice various techniques until I had honed my skills enough as to be at least relatively successful.
And no, I shall not reel off my successes and boost my flagging ego – how much money I make, how many sites I have ranking in the top 5 or 10 of Google and how many at number 1... Its not relevant to the Challenge.
Let this Challenge speak for itself as to whether I know and understand the world of search engine optimization or not (SEO Google fashion, that is). If you gain something from it that you can add this to your own ability for ranking a decent keyword, then you can argue that the Challenge has indeed justified itself, at least for you.
After all, ranking sites/keywords/keyword phrases on a regular basis only comes with practice and with practice comes improvement. If you can learn from others who have made a ton of mistakes beforehand (that's me!) then you are a big step forward indeed! Less mistakes for you to make, which means success should come sooner rather than later.
Finally, I shall relay to you in my posts on this thread every aspect to my campaign for the chosen keyword. That's not at all to say that I do this for all my campaigns. It depends upon the competition, the target market and how motivated I am haha!
And for sure, I am not claiming I am some form of genius (ah, if only!). I merely wish to show one way – one set of techniques in reaching a potential goal as far as SEO is concerned.
There are many other ways to go about reaching the same goal – what I shall show to you here is just a single method that can be learned by anyone with half a notion. You are then free to utilize this method or to build on it for perhaps even more successes of your own.
The method I am going to outline here is far and away from being perfect, or indeed its not at all one of the best. Its just one way to achieve high rankings, and to achieve high rankings very regularly - if you have the motivation to do so.
If you've read this far, then many thanks for that – you may be one of few! Lol!
Oh, and further information can be found at my blog here
The Thrill of Good Quality SEO makes my Life a Better Place!
Its fairly new hence there is not a vast amount of content. Interesting reading nevertheless.
I shall make a diary of progress and my reasons why I do things on the blog too.
Now sit back and enjoy the ride!
To our success!
As a postscript, and a la Terry Kyle style, if you feel that this thread is of value then do please feel free to provide a vote of thanks by clicking the Thanks button which is just below and on the right side, thank you!