A Backlink is simply a link from another website to your site. This is one of, if not the most important variable that Google uses to determine page rank and the position your web page takes in the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages). For Google Adsense and indeed any other method of making money from a website or blog, the higher you are in the SERPS, the more people will visit your blog. The more people who visit your blog, the more people are capable of clicking your Adsense ads and the more chances for making money with Adsense. Of note, a few years ago, a reciprocal link (I link to you, you link to me) was of great importance but as time goes by, it has lost its importance as 1 way links (backlinks) have become the standard link ranking variable.
On Twitter, the more people of importance that follow you, the more likely you are to be followed and more important people will also follow you. Google has a similar approach and views a backlink as a vote. It separates websites’ importance through a grading system known as Page Rank (PR). To increase your page rank, it is necessary to get backlinks (votes) from higher page rank sources. The higher PR backlink you get, the more favorable Google will look upon your site and reward you with a higher PR. This system goes from 8 to 10, the higher number being the highest ranked.
The importance of Page Rank has been disputed by some webmasters as in many cases, a lower PR site will outrank a high PR site, especially if the low PR site has the keyword in the domain name and title and is highly Search Engine Optimized.
What Page Rank does is to give your site prestige and leverage. If you have a high PR blog, people will easily link to it and you will have less problem getting a 1 way link or a reciprocal link. Eventually, people may actually pay you to place a link to their site on your blog/website and if you decide to sell your website someday, the higher PR will mean you can get more for the sale than from a low PR website/blog.
What is for sure is that the quantity and quality of Google backlinks help determine your position in the SERPs. If you want to beat the competition for a particular keyword, the first thing to look for is the quantity of backlinks. If it is over 300, then it might be difficult. The next thing to look at is the quality of the backlinks. Everyone who has a blog or website should install a free browser addon called SEO Quake. It is a nice little tool to spy on your competitors. It will show you the amounts and details of backlinks and internal links for any website whose page you have opened. If a site has too many high PR backlinks, it will be even more difficult as all things being equal, you would have to outdo them in terms of quality, which may take lots of time and hard work.
Because backlinks are so important to Google, the king of search engines, back linking has become an industry by itself and there are many websites and individuals offering link building and search engine optimization services. You can even outsource back linking as you would outsource article writing. Outsourcing back linking could eventually become necessary if you have several websites. Backlinking can be a boring, tedious task and could get in the way of your article writing as it competes for your time.
You have to be careful who does your back linking as Google does not like:
1. Automated back linking
2. Links added too fast
4. Link Clubs
5. Link Wheels
6. Links to unrelated sites
7. Links to sites that are outside those accepted by TOS such as sex, gambling, weapons and copyright violators
8. Links to spam sites
Many people cannot wait and build quickly, but Google prefers building links slowly and naturally. They do not want you linking too quickly as this would defeat the validity of their system. If you push up the importance of your ’crap’ site because you are able to spend more time back linking than the webmaster of a higher quality site, you could unfairly outdo him and your ‘crap’ would rise to the top above a better quality site. Google does not want that!
Before we go any further, we have to understand Anchor texts. These are the texts used in the link to your site, the text you will click on to activate the link. It is important, as the ideal situation is to get your keyword as anchor text. This will not be possible on all occasions, but as often as possible, use the anchor text in your backlink. Not to worry if you do not have many of your backlinks with anchor text. There is one school of thought that says in order for your link building to look natural as Google requires, it is better to only have some of your links with anchor text. Other links could have text related to your keywords such as simply “here” or “Click Here”, for example.
Here are some free one way backlink strategies you may use to build Google Backlinks. These strategies also show you how to get traffic to your blog:
1. RSS Directories – RSS stands for really simple syndication and what it does is use a feed to get your blog articles in real time almost as soon as you post them. There are RSS Directories that exist by listing your feed and visitors can read your articles if they find them interesting. You get a free backlink, plus traffic from readers, but what makes RSS Directories valuable is how quickly they are read by the search engines. When you have a new site, it may take days, sometimes weeks before it is crawled by the search engines if you don’t get help. These RSS directories are crawled regularly so you will quickly get your new site indexed by adding it to these directories.
2. Article Directories – adding your articles to quality directories with a link or 2 back to your site is one of the best ways to get a Google backlink. These article directories are usually high PR. You will get a link or two from the article’s referral box back to your site and if your articles are good, webmasters will take your article and place it on their website with a link back to your site. This has a multiplication effect on the number of incoming links as you keep getting backlinks added from each website that uses your article. You will also get extra traffic to your site from clicks back to your blog, as readers get curious to read other articles you have written. With this method, write quality 500 words, preferably more more original articles to stand out from the crowd.
3. Link directories – Adding your blog to a link directory in the relevant category allows you a related backlink. Some of these directories are free, some paid., but there are many free ones available at IMTalk
4. Forum Links – do a Google search for forums related to your keyword and add your signature to the forum. Whenever you comment, your signature link will add another backlink to your blog and another possible way to get traffic to your content.
5. Profile Links – several membership sites including forums, will allow you to add your blog/website link to your profile. You can get some high PR links in this way, but you may have to bookmark the sites, visit now and again and participate or your profile might be removed by the webmaster.
6. Blog Commenting – commenting on related do follow blogs is the old fashioned, proven way to get Google backlinks, including quality, high PR backlinks, to your website/blog.
WordPress blogs have a built in no follow feature which prevents search engines from following the link, therefore depriving you of the benefit. If you leave a comment on a no follow blog, the search engine will not follow the link and therefore will not count it as a backlink. That is why it is recommended to comment on a do follow blog where search engines will follow the link and give you full link benefits.
It is time consuming as to make an effective comment, you first have to read the article and think and write a response. If the response is unrelated or too ‘shallow,’ it will be discarded as spam and waste your time.
Many webmasters too, have become accustomed to getting spam comments from people with keywords in their usernames and will instantly erase your comment if it contains anchor text in your username. So as not to waste your time, it is best to look if any previous comment on their blog has a keyword for a username. If not, it may be best to use your first name. Giving a long, quality, related comment however, oftentimes will pass spam filters such as Akismet and convince the webmaster that your comment is genuine and ignore the keyword filled username. A good comment is also the best way to get visitors back to your blog.
7. Social Bookmarking – social bookmarking sites allow you to store your favorite web pages online. You may choose to publicly display your bookmarks in which case they will be visible to others. These bookmarking sites are highly rated by Google who sees them as good, valuable sources of information. They are usually high PR. The most rated are Digg, Delicious, Mixx, Reddit and Stumbleupon.
8. Social Networking – the world has gone social networking crazy. It has literally taken over the web and almost everyone is getting into it. Facebook, the number one is at over 500 million members and growing. Twitter is also very popular and you can add updates each time you post an article to your blog. It has now become a good place to get a backlink and also to promote your blog. There are many social networking plugins available that will enable you to instantly post your updates on the social networking sites and bring traffic to your site.
9. Blog Communities – Websites such as Blog Catalog, Blog Top List, My Blog Log (will be closing down in May 2011) allow blog owners to list their blog and interact in a blog community, making friends with other blog owners. In addition to offering a backlink for your URL, you may also get multiple backlinks if your posts are tagged for certain keywords. This is the case with MyBlog Log. I will miss that site!
10. Online Communities – there are online communities such as Buddy Press sites that allow members to have their own blog. If you qualify for one of these sites, you can start a blog, preferably related to your main blog and link back to your main blog.
These strategies show you how to build google backlinks to help you in making money with Adsense. These simple strategies will help you defeat competitiors and move up in the search engine results page.
I haven't really begun with affiliate marketing yet, but i will in the future and i did make a site that i am just testing right now. I will tell you some of my experiences with some of the stuff related to what he tells you in the article.
With the site i am testing what he tells you in number 2 is true, when you submit an article to an article directory that backlink itself won't be all that powerful, though sometimes people can get there article on the 1st page, but what is powerful is when someone takes your article and puts it on their site with your backlink, this way the link is in the text (contextual backlink) which is stronger than a link put in a resource box, i experienced this with my test site, it wasn't ranking that well but when i saw someone had took my article and put it on their site (it was page rank 1), my site went up a lot in googles SERP.
#3 link directories, In my experience this can help a little but not a lot, because the link directory itself on the home page might have a high PR, but the sub-page of where your link will be might not even have a page rank, though sometimes it does and age matters to, the site that took my article was over 7 years old.
#6 blog commenting, in my experience if you find a site with high PR on the page where you leave the comment, it does help and make sure not to spam, read the article, give it some thought and leave your comment and especially if it is high rank just leave your name in the anchor text instead of your keyword, that will make it less spammy. Still on #6 i paid a company to leave auto comments for me just to test it out, it was cheap, and my experience; don't do it, it didn't help me, if you want to outsource make sure it is someone trusted who does it manually or if they do it with software, the software does it in a more natural way.
#7 Social bookmarking, in my experience this helped me get indexed really fast, but not so much help with rankings though. The other things i left out i never tried. Here is the site i got the article from How To Build Google Backlinks To Help You In Making Money With Adsense Site « What Is Adsense?.
I am new at this so i don't know much, but i wanted to try and give someone some helpful advice with the article and my own experiences related to the article. Hope this is somewhat useful to other newbies out there.