15 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I see in a lot of posts that say fresh content is great for SEO. My problem is, I run a very small niche coupon site, and I don't currently have any new coupons to post ... which means I am not creating any new pages.

I can, however, update the content on the category pages (these are the pages I send all my backlinks to). Is this considered fresh content, even though I won't be adding new pages, or should I find a way to create new pages?

Also, is there anything special I should do to tell Google my updated pages are "fresh content"?
#content #fresh
  • Profile picture of the author scanningindex
    Yes it is really true that if you have fresh content than you can get benefits on your websites. Your content is fresh search engines and naturally attract links to your site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5268491].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mikenin
      I think having your site grow in size (as in adding more pages) is very good for SEO if it is done on a fairly regular basis, with good, unique, relevant content. As far as changing the content that you already have, it may or may not be a good idea. If what you have is properly optimized you may want to leave it, and wait to add more content when you can.
      Signature

      Hey!!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5268552].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author russkampmann
    If I understand this, you might want to add informational pages (product information, whats the latest in coupon clipping) as a supplement to the coupons themselves.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5268720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author C Rebecca
    Yes, that would be considered as fresh content. You can notify Google about your new content by pinging.
    Signature

    FREE 30 minutes of Ecommerce Marketing consultation. Consulted clients like Overstock.com, About.com, Lowe's and more...
    Book at: hello@techzui.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5270327].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ashleysmith12
    hi
    no need to do anything else , if u update the content, it automatically going to indexed by the google .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5270537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gerard Mohamed
    I would siggest a completely separate page only for new trends/comments/industry related news and titbits. If you then update that page on a regular basis, it will be noticed by the Google Robots.
    Signature

    Gerard.

    Press Release Booster - The Most Affordable Press Release Distribution Service
    https://pressreleasebooster.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5270550].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theplugindude
      Absolutely,

      That is a nice trick and you can do it that way so that Google considers it as

      FRESH CONTENT and then gives you the credit..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5270636].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author stephaneM20
      Originally Posted by Gerard Mohamed View Post

      I would siggest a completely separate page only for new trends/comments/industry related news and titbits. If you then update that page on a regular basis, it will be noticed by the Google Robots.
      I really appreciate your suggestion; I believe this will work effectively. Only need to post on a regular basis to make it updated, and of course the posts should not be valueless!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5271302].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DeskCoder
      Originally Posted by Gerard Mohamed View Post

      I would siggest a completely separate page only for new trends/comments/industry related news and titbits. If you then update that page on a regular basis, it will be noticed by the Google Robots.
      Yeah, I never thought of that. I have a page on another site that gets the Google news feed for my keyword. I might try that here. I guess I just need to be creative and come up with some ways to add relevant content thats not coupons.
      Signature

      Developer by day ... need any development work done (I specialize in .Net and Web Development), send me a PM.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5280833].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rasel786
    First of all it's important to make the distinction that search engines aren't just looking for fresh content; they are looking for fresh relevant content. Although Adding fresh content will tell the search engines that they need to crawl your website more often, which is a good thing.



    SEO Tips
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5270714].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aaronaddy
    well fresh content is a useful way to get ranked as Google is focusing on quality content these days.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5270715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nblake
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5270725].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AlvinBasil
      Adding fresh content will tell the search engines that they need to crawl your website more often and adding relevant content to your site should mean that your content will be full of important keywords that you would like to rank higher in with search engines.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5270741].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JammerJones
    If you're running a niche coupon site, the best fresh content you can have is new coupons. Are you sure you can't track down any new coupons? If you 'update' your category page content Google will certainly notice this, you don't need to tell them anything. What kind of updates are you making to the content? If you're just making little changes just for the sake of giving Google fresh content, there is no point. Not every single website needs fresh content, it depends on the niche you're in. In this case, the only fresh content that's going to be beneficial to you is adding new coupons periodically.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5271412].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DeskCoder
      Originally Posted by JammerJones View Post

      If you're running a niche coupon site, the best fresh content you can have is new coupons. Are you sure you can't track down any new coupons? If you 'update' your category page content Google will certainly notice this, you don't need to tell them anything. What kind of updates are you making to the content? If you're just making little changes just for the sake of giving Google fresh content, there is no point. Not every single website needs fresh content, it depends on the niche you're in. In this case, the only fresh content that's going to be beneficial to you is adding new coupons periodically.
      Right now, most of my category pages have no content, besides the coupons. I have added a section above the coupons for text, and below the coupons for text, but like I said most of them have no content there. I am working on getting all these pages filled with relevant info.
      Signature

      Developer by day ... need any development work done (I specialize in .Net and Web Development), send me a PM.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5280821].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JammerJones
        Originally Posted by DeskCoder View Post

        Right now, most of my category pages have no content, besides the coupons. I have added a section above the coupons for text, and below the coupons for text, but like I said most of them have no content there. I am working on getting all these pages filled with relevant info.
        Ahh ok, that's a good idea. You can't go wrong with filling up your cat pages with relevant content.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5285840].message }}

Trending Topics