Content, Content and More Content!

24 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hey guys!

I have taken some great strides since I first logged into this forum. I'm beginning to comprehend how important keywords and SEO techniques are. I'm so close to making my first $$ that I can taste it!

My question is this...

If I were making a review site promoting one product that will be an affiliate link. How much content would you say is sufficient for it to start ranking well with Google?

I am not talking about how many words etc. are needed. I am talking what is a good number of articles/blog posts for the site to have for it to rank well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
#content
  • Profile picture of the author pushmon
    Originally Posted by CtrlAltRage View Post

    Hey guys!

    I have taken some great strides since I first logged into this forum. I'm beginning to comprehend how important keywords and SEO techniques are. I'm so close to making my first $$ that I can taste it!

    My question is this...

    If I were making a review site promoting one product that will be an affiliate link. How much content would you say is sufficient for it to start ranking well with Google?

    I am not talking about how many words etc. are needed. I am talking what is a good number of articles/blog posts for the site to have for it to rank well.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    If you want to get a good ranking in Google, you should need some quality high pr backlinks. In the past the Google's algorithm is only checked the number of backlinks to your content/sites, but now it is changed and it checks only the quality of the backlinks. So if you want to get a good ranking you should need to build some quality backlinks +1 and above pageranks. Then you will get a good ranking in Google. You can build quality backlinks by submitting your site to high pr directories, web2.0 sites, socialbookmarks etc.
    You can post any number of posts/articles. And always posts frequently to get more readers and popularity for your sites/contents.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6651544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GreenSeoService
    It depends on the competition for the keyword which you are targeting.. Google likes websites which are updated.. More the content the better, which does not mean that you post link 10 articles in one day.. Post something like one article every 3 days along with some quality backlinks..
    Signature
    HAS THE RECENT PENGUIN UPDATE SCARED YOU OFF!!!
    Looking for Safe & Powerful links ???
    CLICK HERE
    Looking for SAFE Bookmarking Service CLICK HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6651592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prcys
    Banned
    Originally Posted by CtrlAltRage View Post

    Hey guys!

    My question is this...

    If I were making a review site promoting one product that will be an affiliate link. How much content would you say is sufficient for it to start ranking well with Google?

    I am not talking about how many words etc. are needed. I am talking what is a good number of articles/blog posts for the site to have for it to rank well.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    There is no any particular character limit to develop content to promote your site. But the thing is that build such content that can be meaningful and useful for visitors and not be just for the site or product promotion.
    And there is no specific limit to how many articles or blogs, but again the thing is whatever you provide, offer the best only. Suppose if you have 10articles but nothing meaningful, there is no any value of those articles to get results. But if you have one article and that is effective then it will sure give results to you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6651869].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
      Thanks a lot for this advice!

      That's incredibly helpful. I was at an impasse on how many I should make. I'll definitely punch out a few articles and set up an auto post every couple days.
      Signature

      If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6653980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MariamN
    There is not enough content, only quality content. An article of 100 words can be better than one of 500 words, if it's better SEO optimized.
    Since you are going to write reviews, you should also be honest, so that people who read your reviews will not be disappointed for trusting you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6655125].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SocialDemon
    Backlinks are more important than contents. Yes definately you need a minimum amount of content to rank high. But backlinks play vital role in this game show.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6655177].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      There is no minimum amount. Big myth. It's
      about relevance, authority, trustworthiness, and
      the intangible-but-not-well-defined google love.

      Like the WF. A perfect storm. How would you rate
      the content here? And yet these threads are crawled
      and ranked within minutes.

      Oh yeah. One could argue that here content keeps
      getting added and added...

      You can rank with what people here would call zero content.
      Many sites do.

      It all depends on what people are searching for and when.
      People forget that aspect.

      Ever type a question in to google and get a one line answer
      from yahoo answers? Exactly.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6655333].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        There is no minimum amount. Big myth. It's
        about relevance, authority, trustworthiness, and
        the intangible-but-not-well-defined google love.

        Like the WF. A perfect storm. How would you rate
        the content here? And yet these threads are crawled
        and ranked within minutes.

        Oh yeah. One could argue that here content keeps
        getting added and added...

        You can rank with what people here would call zero content.
        Many sites do.

        It all depends on what people are searching for and when.
        People forget that aspect.

        Ever type a question in to google and get a one line answer
        from yahoo answers? Exactly.

        Paul
        That makes a lot of sense, I appreciate that feed back. I hope I wasn't giving the wrong impression, I most definitely plan to write quality over quantity. I just need to find a niche that I can be passionate about.
        Signature

        If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6655570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    It's all about the juice and content does not create juice, backlinks do. What I noticed is that 100% copied content ranks just as well, it only has a bit of a slower start. In fact a 100% copied sales letter on one of my site ranks better then all the other articles that I wrote myself.

    Perhaps cause that sales letter is of higher quality then what I write myself, I'm not a native English and I didn't bother about LSI, so you can easily say that quality content ranks better, whether it's original or not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6655722].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
      Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

      It's all about the juice and content does not create juice, backlinks do. What I noticed is that 100% copied content ranks just as well, it only has a bit of a slower start. In fact a 100% copied sales letter on one of my site ranks better then all the other articles that I wrote myself.

      Perhaps cause that sales letter is of higher quality then what I write myself, I'm not a native English and I didn't bother about LSI, so you can easily say that quality content ranks better, whether it's original or not.
      How many articles would you say would be viable to start using backlinks? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot before I start walking. lol
      Signature

      If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6657761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    If you only promote 1 product I would say you need only 1 page. You can build 2 supporting pages though and link back from them to the main post and then target all 3 pages with the same keywords, that way you can get multiple listings and thus more visitors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6657789].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
      Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

      If you only promote 1 product I would say you need only 1 page. You can build 2 supporting pages though and link back from them to the main post and then target all 3 pages with the same keywords, that way you can get multiple listings and thus more visitors.
      That's good stuff, I really appreciate that. So far it will be one product, but eventually I am looking to create a quality site with a lot of interesting (not to mention quality) content that can help a lot of people looking to learn. But I know I'm not where I need to be yet. I just need to keep on keeping on.
      Signature

      If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6658040].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nik0
        Banned
        Originally Posted by CtrlAltRage View Post

        That's good stuff, I really appreciate that. So far it will be one product, but eventually I am looking to create a quality site with a lot of interesting (not to mention quality) content that can help a lot of people looking to learn. But I know I'm not where I need to be yet. I just need to keep on keeping on.
        Thank Yukon for that.

        Okay someone else also mentioned it before with a slight different variations that when you point 100 links at 1 page, or you spread out those 100 links on 3 different pages (in both cases targetting the same keyword and same amount of links) that all 3 of those pages will rank better then just the single page, no kidding.

        So let's say you point 100 links at 1 page with the keyword "content for sale" then that page would rank at position #25

        Now you spread those 100 links at 3 pages that are optimized for "content for sale" then those 3 pages rank at:

        page1: #16
        page2: #23
        page3: #19

        How sick is that, same amount of links but cause you divide it and make the link pattern more natural you gain a huge advantage with 3 higher listings then when you would make only 1 single page target that keyword.

        I haven't tested it yet, but the guy who explained it in this way (in a private chat session) works for one of the largest SEO companies around.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6658447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nasuryono
    Here are some rule of thumbs:

    1. How many post/articles to write will depend on your niche and competition

    2. Generally, the more articles/post you write (assuming they're of high quality and something that your users will value), the more likely you get picked up in rankings
    Signature
    ----------------------------------------


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6658164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HD Node
    Unfortunately there isn't a set amount of content required - ranking well involves numerous factors. If you bought a relevant, backlinked, aged domain in a niche with little competition, you could be ranking on the first page within an hour of posting your article.

    Google isn't a particularly big fan of thin micro niche sites. That's not to say they're impossible to rank, but there are much easier ways to go about making your first dollar online.

    Whilst I normally recommend people keep a tight control over their content, in this particular case it may be worth considering posting your review at somewhere like Squidoo, as the project will be very much a learning exercise anyway.

    You will learn far more by getting started and making a few mistakes than you will by planning every last detail. There's no reason why you can't upload some content to Squidoo or Weebly today/tomorrow and set about promoting your review.

    If all goes well, then great, you will be making a bit of money and well placed to start your own site. If things don't turn out as expected, then there will be valuable lessons to learn which will ensure that your next project is more likely to be successful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6658602].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
      Originally Posted by HD Node View Post

      Google isn't a particularly big fan of thin micro niche sites. That's not to say they're impossible to rank, but there are much easier ways to go about making your first dollar online.
      Other than you mentioning Squidoo etc. What other ("easier") ways do you suggest or recommend me looking to start?
      Signature

      If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6659248].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HD Node
        Originally Posted by CtrlAltRage View Post

        Other than you mentioning Squidoo etc. What other ("easier") ways do you suggest or recommend me looking to start?
        The difficulty with wafer thin micro niche sites is that Google isn't a big fan, so you are already swimming against the tide. It's certainly not impossible to rank them, but it is more difficult compared to more substantial sites.

        For a first project, I'd recommend starting with a mini-authority site: 10-15 reviews and a blog that's updated 2-3 times per week.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6659349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    Oh comeon HD node, it's much easier to rank a 100% EMD cause Google still gives a huge benefit to that, so that would be a MUCH better 1st project to get to learn the ropes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6659361].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
      Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

      Oh comeon HD node, it's much easier to rank a 100% EMD cause Google still gives a huge benefit to that, so that would be a MUCH better 1st project to get to learn the ropes.
      Forgive my newbness here... but what does EMD stand for?
      Signature

      If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6661471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carlamax
    Its depend what kind of work you are doing. If your are selling your product then you have to write more and more content about your product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6661435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    Exact Match Domain

    So when you target the keyword: "payday loans" and you have the domain paydayloans.com then it's an EMD, which gives you a benefit when ranking.

    Some people claim that partial EMD's also give a ranking benefit but I don't really believe in that, the only reason you get a benefit with a 100% EMD is so that company names rank easier for their "company name". So you can take advantage of that by putting your exact kw in the domainname (when it's available, all the best ones are taken obvious).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6661590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DylanC
    Write high quality articles that are a little longer. Also, using images and putting the correct tags will also give SEO benefits.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6661640].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CtrlAltRage
      Yeah I just found out last week that I can put tags ON my images. This would have helped me out soooo much a couple of years ago when I was doing other things. haha
      Signature

      If you want to make money on Teespring, Shoot me a PM.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6670435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bermuda
    There is no limit whatsoever because everything depends on your writing skills and also your interests in the subject. For example, you can find shopping portals with just one single article written as a review on a specific product while another portal could contain a whole library of comments and reviews on the same package. The general rule of the thumb is that the more fresh, highly relevant and informative contents on your site, covering the main issues, the better outcomes will be gained.

    You are the only person who knows what ranges of information are to be covered through written pieces and think of what materials will be the most useful for your web readers, temporarily forget about what search engines like because if net audience loves the contents on your site, Bingo. You have come to the accurate conclusion that nothing beats having valuable contents on sites because once they get combined with packs of links, increase in traffic and improvements in ranks will occur.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6671368].message }}

Trending Topics