Silo structure in Wordpress

19 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I've heard that to have a silo structure in Wordpress, you need to link posts within a category to each other.

When you make a post in Wordpress, at top and bottom of the post it has a link to the next post and the previous post. Is this sufficient enough for the linking you need to do for each post to each other?

One problem is that it has a link to the next and previous post, but links are supposed to be only to posts in the same category. Is there a way to prevent Wordpress from showing links to posts which aren't in the same category?
#silo #structure #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author tinknocker
    Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

    I've heard that to have a silo structure in Wordpress, you need to link posts within a category to each other.

    When you make a post in Wordpress, at top and bottom of the post it has a link to the next post and the previous post. Is this sufficient enough for the linking you need to do for each post to each other?

    One problem is that it has a link to the next and previous post, but links are supposed to be only to posts in the same category. Is there a way to prevent Wordpress from showing links to posts which aren't in the same category?

    Your right you have to get rid of that in order to keep your category silo's tight. I just got started with siloing so I'm still learning. Yukon is the go to guy in this type of architecture. Search his posting's because he's got a ton of info on this.

    So to answer your question yes there is a simple way, I just did this the other day. WordPress › Support » how to remove the links to next post and previous post ?

    Follow Wex's directions but be careful because if you have the latest wordpress then it looks a little different because that thread is 2 years old but still works..... you should be able to do it.

    You have to go into your wordpress dashboard>appearance>edit> (single post) single.php file.

    I copied the whole file into notebook in case it didn't work so I could just add the file back as it was before it was edited. You have to edit the file by deleting a few lines.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7275919].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cooler1
      Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post

      Yes there is a simple way, I just did this the other day. WordPress › Support » how to remove the links to next post and previous post ?

      Follow Wex's directions but be careful because if you have the latest wordpress then it looks a little different because that thread is 2 years old but still works..... you should be able to do it.

      You have to go into your wordpress dashboard>appearance>edit> (single post) single.php file.

      I copied the whole file into notebook in case it didn't work so I could just add the file back as it was before it was edited. You have to edit the file by deleting a few lines.
      To have a silo structure in Wordpress, is it important to remove the links to the next and previous post or can they be left there?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7275923].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tinknocker
        Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

        To have a silo structure in Wordpress, is it important to remove the links to the next and previous post or can they be left there?
        Yes you need to get rid of the previous/next posts links so it doesn't leak your silo. As far as linking the articles together, I did link my articles all within the same silo category but do not link outside the silo unless you absolutely have to and make the link "no follow" so it doesn't bleed pagerank. You don't have to link the articles all together according to what I've read but you do have to link (contexual link) your articles to the category landing page that they are in.

        If you check that link I gave about siloing wordpress it answers a lot.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7275984].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tinknocker
      Here is good article that helped me a lot How to Theme and Silo Your WordPress Blog
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7275955].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mark07
      Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post

      Your right you have to get rid of that in order to keep your category silo's tight. I just got started with siloing so I'm still learning. Yukon is the go to guy in this type of architecture. Search his posting's because he's got a ton of info on this.

      So to answer your question yes there is a simple way, I just did this the other day. WordPress › Support » how to remove the links to next post and previous post ?

      Follow Wex's directions but be careful because if you have the latest wordpress then it looks a little different because that thread is 2 years old but still works..... you should be able to do it.

      You have to go into your wordpress dashboard>appearance>edit> (single post) single.php file.

      I copied the whole file into notebook in case it didn't work so I could just add the file back as it was before it was edited. You have to edit the file by deleting a few lines.
      Nice informative. Its really helpful for me. I really trying hard to solve this problem before. Now i can do this.
      Signature

      New look for future Auto paradise. | Do you want education help : please visit

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7291325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cooler1
    Thanks for the link. Is it important to use /%category%/%postname%/ as the permalink structure? I read a thread recently which says that its OK to just use /%postname%/

    Is that correct or not?

    Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post

    You don't have to link the articles all together according to what I've read but you do have to link (contexual link) your articles to the category landing page that they are in.
    When you link your articles to the category landing page, should the anchor text be the keyword you want the category landing page for rank for or would that be deemed as over optimization?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7276114].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imarkedy
    My question would be - why wouldn't you want them linked together. Remember, whether hyperlinked or Silo structure, inter-linking content skyrockets your 'onsite' time and actually helps bounce rates.
    Signature

    B.D. Dale
    SBDC TV
    Online Marketing Instructor

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7276399].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cooler1
      As i've already set the permalink structure as /%postname%/ would it be too late to change it now to /%category%/%postname%/

      For example, would it cause the search engines to not know the correct url.

      Originally Posted by imarkedy View Post

      My question would be - why wouldn't you want them linked together. Remember, whether hyperlinked or Silo structure, inter-linking content skyrockets your 'onsite' time and actually helps bounce rates.
      From what tinknocker said, if they are linked to together by default as posts are in wordpress then it leaks your silo.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7278744].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tinknocker
        Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

        As i've already set the permalink structure as /%postname%/ would it be too late to change it now to /%category%/%postname%/

        For example, would it cause the search engines to not know the correct url.



        From what tinknocker said, if they are linked to together by default as posts are in wordpress then it leaks your silo.



        I use SEO Ultimate plugin which does this for you even though you have the permalinks set the way you do, it doesn't interfere at all. Go into the plugin settings and check the box to enable it. Search wordpress plugins repository to get the plugin. Works great and it does a lot of other stuff too.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7289433].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author cooler1
          Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post

          I use SEO Ultimate plugin which does this for you even though you have the permalinks set the way you do, it doesn't interfere at all. Go into the plugin settings and check the box to enable it. Search wordpress plugins repository to get the plugin. Works great and it does a lot of other stuff too.
          Do you use the SEO Ultimate plugin in addition to All In One SEO or do you only need one of these two plugins?
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7294260].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author tinknocker
            Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

            Do you use the SEO Ultimate plugin in addition to All In One SEO or do you only need one of these two plugins?




            Yes you can use All IN ONE SEO....SEO Ultimate gives you the option to import your AIO settings.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7312777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ProSence
    Thanks I was not aware of this before.
    Signature

    three great FREE tools - www.sitebeak.com, www.GAtective.com and www.impersonal.me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7291604].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
    My bad Cooler1 I didn't get back to you. For my particular strat (wolfmmiii), no silo structure. The only thing if anything, I'll add some kind of contextual link to another part of my page within the content.

    For ex:

    adslkajkldsfkldsfzklsdfzlkdsf lkfjlkdszfjzkldsfjkldszfjkldszfjkldszfj zklsdfj zklsfj kldszfj lkf the (link) is blah blah bla halbhah zldfzslfkjdszf .


    And that will lead to another page whether it be another affiliate /review or just random information.
    Signature

    RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7294755].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cooler1
      Originally Posted by GGpaul View Post

      My bad Cooler1 I didn't get back to you. For my particular strat (wolfmmiii), no silo structure. The only thing if anything, I'll add some kind of contextual link to another part of my page within the content.

      For ex:

      adslkajkldsfkldsfzklsdfzlkdsf lkfjlkdszfjzkldsfjkldszfjkldszfjkldszfj zklsdfj zklsfj kldszfj lkf the (link) is blah blah bla halbhah zldfzslfkjdszf .


      And that will lead to another page whether it be another affiliate /review or just random information.
      How broad is your site?

      My site is covering niches which are unrelated i.e. toasters and watches. Would I need to use a silo structure for a site this broad?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7295094].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

        How broad is your site?

        My site is covering niches which are unrelated i.e. toasters and watches. Would I need to use a silo structure for a site this broad?

        I defiantly wouldn't be mixing watches & toasters, for traffic or SEO.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7295142].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author cooler1
          Originally Posted by yukon View Post

          I defiantly wouldn't be mixing watches & toasters, for traffic or SEO.
          A few weeks ago on this forum I asked what would be the best thing to do after my Amazon sites were affected by penguin. People suggested to move the content to one domain instead of having lots of seperate domains.

          So would Google not rank the content well if the niches are totally different? If so, how do sites such as top ten reviews rank ok?

          Originally Posted by Berkinb View Post

          Yes, Google prefers related content mate; but you can create the same level of relevance even if you have multiple niches in your site. You just need to carefully design the site architecture. You can look up "silo structure" in Google or here in the forum to see how such structure is created.


          But of course if you want to go with a "one site/one niche" route, you don't need much of a structure; you can just categorize the products according to type or brand and go on from there. It's easier to create a tightly related site when you're going with a single niche. But what I said for concentrated efforts still stands imo.
          http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...ain-names.html
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7298963].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Banned
            Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

            A few weeks ago on this forum I asked what would be the best thing to do after my Amazon sites were affected by penguin. People suggested to move the content to one domain instead of having lots of seperate domains.

            So would Google not rank the content well if the niches are totally different? If so, how do sites such as top ten reviews rank ok?



            http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...ain-names.html
            That's just a bad idea for both traffic & SEO. If all your selling is watches & toasters on a single domain, your traffic is going to be thinking "WTH is going on here?" (I know I would).

            Keep it focused on a single niche.

            Google SERPs is based on relevancy, toasters & watches don't mix.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7312971].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
        Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

        How broad is your site?

        My site is covering niches which are unrelated i.e. toasters and watches. Would I need to use a silo structure for a site this broad?
        My site isn't THAT broad.

        But if I were to cover let's say an automobile site.

        I would talk about all sorts of car parts.

        From suspension, exhaust /engine/ecu, exterior.

        If I were to do watches, I'd probably add special material to clean the watches.

        Toasters? I'd stick that in the kitchen niche or some sort.
        Signature

        RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7295289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SeoKnightsInc
    Originally Posted by cooler1 View Post

    I've heard that to have a silo structure in Wordpress, you need to link posts within a category to each other.

    When you make a post in Wordpress, at top and bottom of the post it has a link to the next post and the previous post. Is this sufficient enough for the linking you need to do for each post to each other?

    One problem is that it has a link to the next and previous post, but links are supposed to be only to posts in the same category. Is there a way to prevent Wordpress from showing links to posts which aren't in the same category?
    Yes almost every theme allows you to hide next post previous posts links, also its not mandatory to link to same category posts, you can link to any category post within your site, its your internal linking structure that is important for both users and spiders
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7294902].message }}

Trending Topics