SEO Experts Help - Does This Count as Duplicate Content?

8 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi Warriors,

I run a Book Review website that gets a decent amount of traffic but of late I've been finding it harder and harder to rank for even the simplest keywords. I don't build links and whatever links I get are through my readers (social media, blogs etc).

While writing a book review (normally >500 words), what I also do is copy an excerpt of the book that is available online. So for example if I was reviewing this book here (no aff link)

The Hit by David BaldacciThe Hit by David Baldacci
Within the body of my review, I would copy paste the book description (within quotes) or excerpt as mentioned on Amazon:

"From David Baldacci--#1 bestselling author and one of the world's most popular, widely read storytellers--comes the most thrilling novel of the year.
THE HIT
Will Robie is a master of killing.
A highly skilled assassin, Robie is the man the U.S. government calls on to eliminate the worst of the worst-enemies of the state, monsters committed to harming untold numbers of innocent victims.
No one else can match Robie's talents as a hitman...no one, except Jessica Reel. A fellow assassin, equally professional and dangerous, Reel is every bit as lethal as Robie. And now, she's gone rogue, turning her gun sights on other members of their agency.
To stop one of their own, the government looks again to Will Robie. His mission: bring in Reel, dead or alive. Only a killer can catch another killer, they tell him.
But as Robie pursues Reel, he quickly finds that there is more to her betrayal than meets the eye. Her attacks on the agency conceal a larger threat, a threat that could send shockwaves through the U.S. government and around the world."


My question is: Does this count as Duplicate Content and is Google penalizing my site somehow because of this?
#content #count #duplicate #experts #seo
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    If that were duplicate content, then every website that posts sting lyrics would be screwed.
    Signature
    SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
    Get a FREE Quote.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7904351].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author murtagh
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      If that were duplicate content, then every website that posts sting lyrics would be screwed.
      Exactly my thoughts and that's why I thought of checking things with the experts here.

      I guess I might have to get a little aggressive with building quality backlinks. The site is now almost 2 years old with a PR2 and over 100 pages of good content
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7904393].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BlueFrogSEO
    Personally I dont think google is penalizing you. It might be your competitors are now ranking higher on particular keywords.

    You may have done the basics below already but just incase, and sorry i dont mean to show a granny to suck eggs...

    - Create a YouTube Video about your website and link it back to your website.
    - Post the same video on Daily Motion.
    - Create a Wordpress Blogg about your website.
    - Jump on google + create an interesting profile and link it to your site.
    - Generate some high quality backlinks.
    - Research how your competitors rank with your keywords and compare.

    The above are the basic things you can do to help increase your rank. Its hard to advice without seeing your website or knowing what your SEO planning is.

    Drop me a PM with your URL and I can look into things deeper for you?

    Cheers

    BF
    Signature
    Fantastically affordable and reliable SEO & SM Services all from Blue Frog:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7904481].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author murtagh
      Originally Posted by BlueFrogSEO View Post

      Personally I dont think google is penalizing you. It might be your competitors are now ranking higher on particular keywords.

      You may have done the basics below already but just incase, and sorry i dont mean to show a granny to suck eggs...

      - Create a YouTube Video about your website and link it back to your website.
      - Post the same video on Daily Motion.
      - Create a Wordpress Blogg about your website.
      - Jump on google + create an interesting profile and link it to your site.
      - Generate some high quality backlinks.
      - Research how your competitors rank with your keywords and compare.


      BF
      - I already have a YT channel with about 20 videos linking back to different reviews

      - Site is based on Wordpress; has a static front page with links to different categories; each category page links to full-fledged reviews

      - Have a Google+ profile as well with authorship profile

      So am assuming it's time to move onto high quality backlinks. Also have Pm'd you my site (thanks in advance)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7904528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
    If you want to rank you need to start building some links.

    How you do that is up to you, but there's A LOT of creative link building you could do with a book review site...

    Every year there are 6-12 HUGE book launches. Why write a 500-word review when you could create THE hub for each book launch?

    You could make a page on your site: bookreviews.com/four-hour-whatever

    And post news, articles an interviews with the author. Most authors are too lazy to do this, so your site could become the internet's #1 source for that book's launch information.

    Or better yet, why not reach out to the authors of some of the launches for a quick audio interview? Most people that get interviewed link back to the site they've interviewed with.

    Or even better, you could create a massive infographic about the most popular 100 books of all time...or do an industry study about how Amazon reviews correlate with a book's sales.

    If you're creative and publish stuff like this you'll get A LOT more links and traffic than writing 500-word reviews and pasting book descriptions.
    Signature
    Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7909265].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author murtagh
      Originally Posted by Backlinko View Post

      If you want to rank you need to start building some links.

      How you do that is up to you, but there's A LOT of creative link building you could do with a book review site...

      Every year there are 6-12 HUGE book launches. Why write a 500-word review when you could create THE hub for each book launch?

      You could make a page on your site: bookreviews.com/four-hour-whatever

      And post news, articles an interviews with the author. Most authors are too lazy to do this, so your site could become the internet's #1 source for that book's launch information.

      Or better yet, why not reach out to the authors of some of the launches for a quick audio interview? Most people that get interviewed link back to the site they've interviewed with.

      Or even better, you could create a massive infographic about the most popular 100 books of all time...or do an industry study about how Amazon reviews correlate with a book's sales.

      If you're creative and publish stuff like this you'll get A LOT more links and traffic than writing 500-word reviews and pasting book descriptions.
      Yeah, that what I'm planning to do in the long run. I'm already reaching out to authors for interview style posts and running book contests on the site.

      I'm also trying to list down potential release dates of the blockbuster books
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7911378].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kimseo
    No, It won't be duplicate content. Just to be safe and more ethical i suggest you to add source link as well (may be underneath the excerpt)
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7909495].message }}

Trending Topics