12 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I think Hummingbird effected my site some. I was going to either rewrite my content or just add more.

What would be best? If I rewrite it will I loose any rankings for what was written before? or can I just write a whole new article and delete the existing one?

Thanks
#content #rewriting
  • Profile picture of the author SEOWizard417
    It depends on how bad the original content was. I would say its best to try and rewrite your content and make the page a bigger authority on your topic. Stretch it out to about 1500 words or so and use a ton of LSI while keeping keyword density to a minimum.

    Google really seems to be favoring these larger pages that provide a full resource for visitors.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEO Power
    Rewriting it is better than just adding more - and rewriting it won't divest your site of the rankings they already have. In fact, rewriting has the potential to improve your site's rankings since Google rewards fresh content with higher rankings.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428446].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by SEO Power View Post

      Rewriting it is better than just adding more - and rewriting it won't divest your site of the rankings they already have. In fact, rewriting has the potential to improve your site's rankings since Google rewards fresh content with higher rankings.
      That's not true. Rewriting the content CAN cause the rankings to drop. Anytime you change anything on a page you can see a change in rankings. Not sure why anyone would say otherwise.

      It also can improve rankings. There is no guarantee one way or the other.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author accessted
    OK will rewrite it and ad more. It is a service based business. Is 1000 on home page and about 500 words on other 5 pages sufficient? A lot of my completion is ranking with 200-300 words. I do see it is neccasary to be more engagining and ad LSI keywords.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Helena14
    completely re-write. Next time if you want to spine an article, make it 100% unique.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    In most cases, if your title is not touched and your content is properly optimized for your keyword you should be fine but then there is no guarantee.

    If you really think you need your content re-written then i don't think you should be concern with losing your ranking since it's necessary. What you just need to do is to ensure you do it right this time.
    Signature
    Grow your social media account, Spotify Streams, YT Views & IG Followers & More
    Software & Mobile APP Developer
    Buy Spotify, Facebook Bot & IG M/S Method
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428654].message }}
  • i think rewriting the article and then creating a new article to build upon the first is a good idea

    if the current articles are already ranking badly what do you have to lose.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author accessted
    Well its not that bad of an article. It is unique as I wrote it. It is only about 300 words . so then would it be better to add more content underneath it or will google see the old content and not consider the other? I am ranking like number 11. Really want to get on front page and I think this may be why.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    The safest way to go about that is to leave the page alone & build additional new internal pages targeting the same keyword, build a few external links pointing at each of those new internal pages, then on each new internal page point 1 internal link back to the original page that's currently ranking #11.

    If you really have to change the ranked page content another option is to do it in small chunks, wait & see what Google SERPs does, a week or two later change another paragraph (or whatever), wait & see how the SERPs act, repeat..

    The page <title>, <h> tags & internal/external links are the strongest things for SEO, so If you can get by without changing those things that would help.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9429096].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author accessted
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      The safest way to go about that is to leave the page alone & build additional new internal pages targeting the same keyword, build a few external links pointing at each of those new internal pages, then on each new internal page point 1 internal link back to the original page that's currently ranking #11.

      If you really have to change the ranked page content another option is to do it in small chunks, wait & see what Google SERPs does, a week or two later change another paragraph (or whatever), wait & see how the SERPs act, repeat..

      The page <title>, <h> tags & internal/external links are the strongest things for SEO, so If you can get by without changing those things that would help.
      Thanks Yukon.
      Seems like a good solution. I may end up leaving it on there and adding new content. Have a writer now working on some good unique content as we speak.
      Will add 1000 more words. If it will not low together I may use you other suggestion with building a new page and interlinking.
      Maybe try to get a few good backlinks to the new pages and link it to the old. May even redo the site into a silo structure if I can figure out how not to mess up what I have.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9429232].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulgl
    Originally Posted by accessted View Post

    I think Hummingbird effected my site some. I was going to either rewrite my content or just add more.

    What would be best? If I rewrite it will I loose any rankings for what was written before? or can I just write a whole new article and delete the existing one?

    Thanks
    Your statements contradict each other. Apparently you think you suffered some penalty,
    but are waiting to see what that penalty is.

    Leave the stuff, write more.

    Paul
    Signature

    If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9429155].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author accessted
      Paulgl

      Well, all I know is after the phantom I got hit pretty good for back links. (didnt know any better in the old days) and then got hit by hummingbird. So I assume the hummingbird deal was due to my content or lack of content.

      So I am still building high quality links now and figure I need to add more unique content. Not sure if I am missing something else, but we will see.

      I have no manual actions against me. Just the fact after Phantom I went from Number 1 on Google to like number 6. Then after humming bird I bumped to the second page..

      Thanks for the info on what to do
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9429237].message }}

Trending Topics