Seminars: Things about the presentation

by qu4rk
12 replies
I have read threads about seminars here. Many speak about the "should I" or "should I not" do one. My question is what do you guys think about the actual presentation? My questions are:

  • What is the best way to make your people feel like they are getting major value?
  • What are some good ways to keep people engaged?
  • What is a good format to use (meaning start, middle, finish)?
  • Any suggestions on slides?
  • What type of printed materials do you give?
  • Do you do a Q & A, or tell them to come see you after if they have questions, or something else?
  • Any suggestions on content (should you stick with information, sprinkle examples along the way, or something else)?

Thanks
#presentation #seminars #things
  • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
    Originally Posted by qu4rk View Post

    I have read threads about seminars here. Many speak about the "should I" or "should I not" do one. My question is what do you guys think about the actual presentation? My questions are:

    • What is the best way to make your people feel like they are getting major value?
    • What are some good ways to keep people engaged?
    • What is a good format to use (meaning start, middle, finish)?
    • Any suggestions on slides?
    • What type of printed materials do you give?
    • Do you do a Q & A, or tell them to come see you after if they have questions, or something else?
    • Any suggestions on content (should you stick with information, sprinkle examples along the way, or something else)?

    Thanks
    I run seminars both physical and webinars for clients and myself at least three times a month and I can say they are significant business generators for the people I work with.

    As for delivering value you need to make sure you are answering the attendee's needs, desires, questions and providing a solution that will help them achieve a certain result.

    We usually run continuous surveys and feedback systems to gauge what the seminar attendee expects to get from the presentation prior to the event and then we also gather "Post seminar" feedback to find out what we missed.

    The best way to keep people engaged is to NOT be BORING.

    Think about a well crafted sales letter, Novel or any movie that is a box office success.

    There is a structure...

    the key is to create the experience your audience expects.

    The format you are asking about is structure related right?

    We use a technique of future pacing and creating anticipation and open loops where we provide small insights into what we will reveal later on and what outcome the attendee can expect when they participate....this as a process you need to design and implement right from cold prospect right the way through the process until they either disqualify themselves or commit to you in some way

    On slides....

    I feel they are vital to success but we do a lot of live seminar work where we don't use any slides but for example we have a large event coming up in May where there will be 200 to 250 prospects....maybe 400 attendees because some will bring partners....

    ...now that requires large AV investment...not so much financial...but we must engage the large audience and deliver positive ROI for the clients....

    ...so even from the pre-warming the crowd...right through the presentation the slides are orchestrated to capture those attendees that prefer "Visual" communication as opposed to the "Auditory" types.

    We are experimenting with some "auditory" cues to create pattern interrupts like small "bell" like noises at strategically timed positions.

    You know the picture of someone with a lightbulb when they have an idea...well we use a range of auditory triggers like a "Ding" which helps people fix the idea into their subconscious...sorry getting techhy...

    As for printed material we use "Goodie bags"

    In the bags we have a few engagement devices and usually some glossy publications where we have strategically partnered with the publisher.

    We also have other printed material but that is related to booking or financing type material and that is only given out to people after the seminar during the closing phases. We usually run teams of a variety of experienced staff to handle the closing part- post seminar.

    We generally run intermittent Q & A throughout the presentation as we often have seven presenters and each is a specialist in their area of expertise so our audience wants to ask each person their particular question....we always have all presenters available post presentation for mingling Q&A during the order taking phase.

    We have experimented with "compiled testimonials" on video that we run prior to the event whilst people are taking their seats.

    There are always three live testimonials that are presented "unscripted" and we select the testimonial givers to match the audience and prospects we have booked.

    For example...we presented to a group of truck drivers and miners and so we had a mix of former drivers and miners that we pulled from our past client database and asked them for help.

    Another example is the same seminar but to a largely female audience we used two past female clients...one was 28 years old and the other was 49...we coupled that with a 57 year old male who "appealed to the 55 year old divorcee and the odd male prospect who was a partner of the 50 -60 year old females we had as primary targets...we covered all our bases.

    Those are the sort of strategies you need to think about if you can.

    On a smaller scale you basically present solutions that your audience has expressed to you that they need a solution for or that they need help with and you pre-write and rehearse what you are going to do...that's why slides are good because they keep you on track.

    Yes people need the "information" but more importantly for you is that you engage them emotionally and psychologically so you can both provide a good experience but also convert some of those people into consumers of your product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10017830].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author qu4rk
      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      We usually run continuous surveys and feedback systems to gauge what the seminar attendee expects to get from the presentation prior to the event and then we also gather "Post seminar" feedback to find out what we missed.
      So, do you do this pre-survey when they get their, like it's on the table? Or do you do it via email?

      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      We use a technique of future pacing and creating anticipation and open loops where we provide small insights into what we will reveal later on and what outcome the attendee can expect when they participate....this as a process you need to design and implement right from cold prospect right the way through the process until they either disqualify themselves or commit to you in some way
      Can you give me an example of future pacing?

      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      As for printed material we use "Goodie bags"

      In the bags we have a few engagement devices and usually some glossy publications where we have strategically partnered with the publisher.
      Are you saying the publisher designs & prints the publications for you in exchange for a sponsorship spot?

      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      We also have other printed material but that is related to booking or financing type material and that is only given out to people after the seminar during the closing phases. We usually run teams of a variety of experienced staff to handle the closing part- post seminar.
      By closing, do you mean there is an offer at the end of the seminar & you are trying to close deals?

      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      We generally run intermittent Q & A throughout the presentation as we often have seven presenters and each is a specialist in their area of expertise so our audience wants to ask each person their particular question....we always have all presenters available post presentation for mingling Q&A during the order taking phase.
      It will just be me, so do you suggest a Q&A at the end? Basically, do people feel like this adds value?

      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      We have experimented with "compiled testimonials" on video that we run prior to the event whilst people are taking their seats.

      There are always three live testimonials that are presented "unscripted" and we select the testimonial givers to match the audience and prospects we have booked.

      For example...we presented to a group of truck drivers and miners and so we had a mix of former drivers and miners that we pulled from our past client database and asked them for help.

      Another example is the same seminar but to a largely female audience we used two past female clients...one was 28 years old and the other was 49...we coupled that with a 57 year old male who "appealed to the 55 year old divorcee and the odd male prospect who was a partner of the 50 -60 year old females we had as primary targets...we covered all our bases.
      What is the purpose of the testimonials? They are already their, so I don't understand what the testimonials can provide. Is this for the offer at the end of the seminar or something?

      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      Those are the sort of strategies you need to think about if you can.

      On a smaller scale you basically present solutions that your audience has expressed to you that they need a solution for or that they need help with and you pre-write and rehearse what you are going to do...that's why slides are good because they keep you on track.
      How many rehearsals would you recommend?

      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      Yes people need the "information" but more importantly for you is that you engage them emotionally and psychologically so you can both provide a good experience but also convert some of those people into consumers of your product.
      Any more suggestions on the emotional/psychological engagement?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020769].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
        My answers in BOLD

        Originally Posted by qu4rk View Post

        So, do you do this pre-survey when they get their, like it's on the table? Or do you do it via email?

        We are always surveying prospects at different times prior to attending any seminar. We do it via email, on the phone and via tools like survey funnel where people provide data as part of their browsing experience.

        Can you give me an example of future pacing?

        Imagine...you will be XXXX in just a few weeks from now.

        You will become a hero to your wife and kids....

        You will be....

        Remember the word "IMAGINE" it opens the door to the mind.


        Are you saying the publisher designs & prints the publications for you in exchange for a sponsorship spot?

        Usually we advertise in some glossy publications and we have access to free copies of this publications for inclusion in goodie bags. Other host-beneficiary type arrangements include gift vouchers for things that have a high perceived value that may meet the desires of our audience.

        In many examples we get approached by other businesses to help cross promote their products by inclusion in any material we give out.

        For example we may be targeting International University Graduates to attract them to particular employment opportunities and we would get a travel agent or accommodation venue offering material....they are targeting the parents of the graduate who may visit for various ceremonies or come and visit 6-12 months later after their kid is working in a foreign country.



        By closing, do you mean there is an offer at the end of the seminar & you are trying to close deals?

        Always...otherwise why are you wasting your time. ABC - Always Be Closing

        We try to close the hottest prospects right there and then and leave a good enough impression with the undecideds that they leave doubting themselves as to why they didn't do what was suggested...that's where follow-up pays off...maybe not instantly but then you've got nurturing systems in place to just maintain low pressure contact.



        It will just be me, so do you suggest a Q&A at the end? Basically, do people feel like this adds value?

        We find Q & A is best done when the prospect "Has the Question".

        Let them know you will take questions at the end but if they have something to say to please let you know.

        We repeatedly ask for questions because you not only get great feedback you get an engaged audience.


        What is the purpose of the testimonials? They are already their, so I don't understand what the testimonials can provide. Is this for the offer at the end of the seminar or something?

        Testimonials provided by people who "Are just like your prospect" are about the most powerful tool you have in your arsenal.

        The number of times I heard prospects say "I'm just like XXXX.."

        Once you get your prospects believing they can see themselves getting the same or better results as the testimonial giver you have far better chance of an easy sale.


        How many rehearsals would you recommend?

        Just get on and start doing them and work it out as you go.

        Personally speaking I've been on TV and radio since I was 13. I was educated in a school where you had to stand up and articulate yourself. I took leadership roles in many sporting teams, Boy Scouts, Chamber of Commerce and other Associations.

        You never have the experience to fully deliver what it takes before you step up.

        Rehearsals are a part of everything you do...that's what the Scouts teach you "Be Prepared"

        Do write a script...do practice it....and then perform it.


        Any more suggestions on the emotional/psychological engagement?
        Be Yourself
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10021787].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by qu4rk View Post



        By closing, do you mean there is an offer at the end of the seminar & you are trying to close deals?
        You didn't ask me, but that's never stopped me before. Yes, have an offer. Personally, I'd sell the meeting for $100, and apply it to any further work you do. That way, appointments are more likely to be kept.

        Perhaps the biggest rookie mistake I see is not handing out the form, and telling the audience to hand them back...before they leave the room. I've seen entire audiences, that were ready to buy...walk out without buying, because the speaker didn't tell them to fill out the damn form, and take it to the back of the room, before they left. Believe me, if you do't spell it out, they won't do it.


        Originally Posted by qu4rk View Post

        It will just be me, so do you suggest a Q&A at the end? Basically, do people feel like this adds value?
        If the talk is going to be a few hours, there is a break in the middle and a Q&A then. If you allow questions at the end, they may not fill out the forms. A bad question, or...a question that turns into a speech, will kill your results.

        The time spent on a Q&A could be better spent selling. The questions can come to you, while you are at the back of the room, collecting forms, and money. Or the questions can be asked when you spend the hour with them, that they are paying for.


        If you think you'll speak for an hour, get them all latheed up, and then have then hand in forms.....on the premise that you are going to call them later for a free consultation....you'll be very disappointed.

        They are in heat, while you and they are still in the room. An hour later, they aren't even thinking about you.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10023637].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author qu4rk
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          You didn't ask me, but that's never stopped me before. Yes, have an offer. Personally, I'd sell the meeting for $100, and apply it to any further work you do. That way, appointments are more likely to be kept.

          Perhaps the biggest rookie mistake I see is not handing out the form, and telling the audience to hand them back...before they leave the room. I've seen entire audiences, that were ready to buy...walk out without buying, because the speaker didn't tell them to fill out the damn form, and take it to the back of the room, before they left. Believe me, if you do't spell it out, they won't do it.
          Ok great idea. I will do something like.

          "For all of the you, I am offering a 1-hour one-on-one that I usually charge $250 for. If you fill out this form & give it back to me to set your one-on-one, then it will be $100. Here is the benefit of the one-on-one with me. The $100 offer is only valid today."

          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          If the talk is going to be a few hours, there is a break in the middle and a Q&A then. If you allow questions at the end, they may not fill out the forms. A bad question, or...a question that turns into a speech, will kill your results.

          The time spent on a Q&A could be better spent selling. The questions can come to you, while you are at the back of the room, collecting forms, and money. Or the questions can be asked when you spend the hour with them, that they are paying for.


          If you think you'll speak for an hour, get them all latheed up, and then have then hand in forms.....on the premise that you are going to call them later for a free consultation....you'll be very disappointed.

          They are in heat, while you and they are still in the room. An hour later, they aren't even thinking about you.
          I'm thinking it will be 4 hours.

          1 hour 50 minutes session 1
          20 minute break
          1 hour 50 minutes session 2
          Then, my offer at the end. I will let the question askers come see me after & sell the one-on-one to the question askers.

          Question. Do I collect the $100 on the spot or is the request form good enough?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10024010].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by qu4rk View Post

            Ok great idea. I will do something like.

            "For all of the you, I am offering a 1-hour one-on-one that I usually charge $250 for. If you fill out this form & give it back to me to set your one-on-one, then it will be $100. Here is the benefit of the one-on-one with me. The $100 offer is only valid today."

            Question. Do I collect the $100 on the spot or is the request form good enough?
            Collect credit card numbers. Put a space for the numbers on the request form. Psychologically, if they pay you, then, to them, they bought. If they didn't give you money or a credit card number, to them, they haven't bought anything.

            Your form should also include a description of your "one on one". Give the people a sheet that lists the benefits, and how you want to schedule (you call them/they call you, suggested times, whet they should have ready)

            The last 30 minutes or so of your seminar needs to be building the value of your "one on one". Give examples of people who have benefited just from that hour session.

            When you start talking about your consultations, recommend to them ways to tell if a consultant is real, and how they should arrange their questions. Maybe give "3 ways people waste money on consultants",

            This last half hour is critical. Most of it is giving real information, that they need to know, but you need to use that information to support the idea of a private consultation; (All businesses are slightly different, areas are different, competition is different)

            You are selling the need for private consultations. Mention what you normally charge (it better be more than $100 an hour).

            Give a reason for the low price; (I spend a whole day, just going from one client to another, so it's cost effective. You're all in the same area, business, economy, ...something they have in common) and a reason you need to know right then ("I'll be scheduling these calls in the next week or so, so I need these forms before you leave")

            Watch a few webinars from Ryan Deiss or Frank Kern. See how they bring up payment. See how they bring up the idea that you need to buy something. Kern is so good at it, you don't realize it's a pitch, until you have the form in your hand.

            Watch Paul Hartunian's pitch. Watch Dan Kennedy, Watch Bill Glazer (a master).

            You really need to study these pitches. Nothing will help you more. You can find them all on Youtube.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10024117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by qu4rk View Post

    I have read threads about seminars here. Many speak about the "should I" or "should I not" do one. My question is what do you guys think about the actual presentation? My questions are:

    • What is the best way to make your people feel like they are getting major value?
    • What are some good ways to keep people engaged?
    • What is a good format to use (meaning start, middle, finish)?
    • Any suggestions on slides?
    • What type of printed materials do you give?
    • Do you do a Q & A, or tell them to come see you after if they have questions, or something else?
    • Any suggestions on content (should you stick with information, sprinkle examples along the way, or something else)?

    Thanks
    What do you want to happen at the end of the seminar? Are you selling something then? Are you just looking for leads? (Please don't tell me that), Why is anyone attending? What do they expect to get out of it?

    Can you sell? Speaking is selling.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10017918].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      What do you want to happen at the end of the seminar? Are you selling something then? Are you just looking for leads? (Please don't tell me that), Why is anyone attending? What do they expect to get out of it?

      Can you sell? Speaking is selling.
      Once upon a time I did seminars up and down the West Coast. I still do a few in my hometown. My answer mirrors Claude's answer hence I quoted him. However I will add a few words.

      You control your seminar so you should know what you want to happen. Here's an example. On May 5th I will be doing a seminar on commercial loans. I was granted only 15 to 20 minutes on a real estate investors club agenda. That's perfect for what I want to happen.

      I want ALL of them to do their loans through me. How will I accomplish that? I have a one page magic wand called a Request for Funding form which each attendee will receive before I speak. This little piece of wizardry opens up doors my on stage brilliance couldn't. You see, in this business investors don't get one page forms. They get a 20 page booklet to complete. Hence, my magic wand works like a charm.

      Maybe you need something similar. I don't know - just offering my thoughts. Oh yeah, make sure your delivery is top notch. Then you'll have people filling out your forms.
      Signature
      Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

      The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10017952].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author qu4rk
        Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post

        Once upon a time I did seminars up and down the West Coast. I still do a few in my hometown. My answer mirrors Claude's answer hence I quoted him. However I will add a few words.

        You control your seminar so you should know what you want to happen. Here's an example. On May 5th I will be doing a seminar on commercial loans. I was granted only 15 to 20 minutes on a real estate investors club agenda. That's perfect for what I want to happen.

        I want ALL of them to do their loans through me. How will I accomplish that? I have a one page magic wand called a Request for Funding form which each attendee will receive before I speak. This little piece of wizardry opens up doors my on stage brilliance couldn't. You see, in this business investors don't get one page forms. They get a 20 page booklet to complete. Hence, my magic wand works like a charm.

        Maybe you need something similar. I don't know - just offering my thoughts. Oh yeah, make sure your delivery is top notch. Then you'll have people filling out your forms.
        Thanks my friend, I'm going to use a Request for One-on-One form. I like the idea of the paper form because, it provides a different experience & it's right there in front of them the entire time.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020752].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author qu4rk
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      What do you want to happen at the end of the seminar? Are you selling something then? Are you just looking for leads? (Please don't tell me that), Why is anyone attending? What do they expect to get out of it?

      Can you sell? Speaking is selling.
      Great questions, because I didn't think about these upfront. Please critique my answers if you see room for improvement.

      p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }What do you want to happen at the end of the seminar?
      Stolen from sandalwood -> I want them all to enter into my sales funnel by filling out a "free one-on-one" request form.

      Are you selling something then?
      At the end no.

      Are you just looking for leads? (Please don't tell me that)
      I guess yes, since I have no offer at the end of the seminar.

      Why is anyone attending?
      Because they want the to be shown how to use the internet to increase their business.

      What do they expect to get out of it?
      They expect to get shown how to use the internet to increase their business.

      Can you sell?
      Yes, but I'm only 1% as good as you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020748].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by qu4rk View Post

        Great questions, because I didn't think about these upfront. Please critique my answers if you see room for improvement.

        p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }What do you want to happen at the end of the seminar?
        Stolen from sandalwood -> I want them all to enter into my sales funnel by filling out a "free one-on-one" request form.

        Are you selling something then?
        At the end no.

        Are you just looking for leads? (Please don't tell me that)
        I guess yes, since I have no offer at the end of the seminar.

        Why is anyone attending?
        Because they want the to be shown how to use the internet to increase their business.

        What do they expect to get out of it?
        They expect to get shown how to use the internet to increase their business.

        Can you sell?
        Yes, but I'm only 1% as good as you.
        OK, so the content of the seminar is to show how online marketing is essential, and that they shouldn't do it themselves, am I right?

        Please don't make te mistake of getting the forms later. Have them hand in the completed forms at the end of the seminar.

        You need to sell them on the results they will get, just from talking to you in your "one on one meeting".

        1% as good as me? Nonsense. A good Power Points presentation will do 90% of the selling for you. I use one to remind me where I am, and what the next point is. I have more than one presentation.

        For a few ideas, here is a video of me, giving a one hour talk, on local online marketing.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020772].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author qu4rk
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          OK, so the content of the seminar is to show how online marketing is essential, and that they shouldn't do it themselves, am I right?
          Yes, that is exactly what it is.

          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          Please don't make te mistake of getting the forms later. Have them hand in the completed forms at the end of the seminar.

          You need to sell them on the results they will get, just from talking to you in your "request form".
          Ok, at the end of the seminar, I will give them the benefit of the "one-on-one" & I will tell them the form is only valid if they give it to me "now".

          I will check the video out & get some more nuggets from you my friend.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020783].message }}

Trending Topics