ValPak Sales Presentation?

24 replies
Does anyone know where I can locate ValPak's sales presentation?

I am amazed, at least in my area, that ValPak's sales people are closing area merchants on 6 and 12 month contracts.

I would love to review their sales presentation or an audio or video of one and learn from it.

:-)
#closing #presentation #sales #valpak
  • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
    So would I. Maybe you should just call them and ask to get involved.

    I don't have the stomach for that, myself. But I'm astonished at how many people still use that service and or how much money they throw at it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5873991].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetEmpire
      Originally Posted by beeswarn View Post

      So would I. Maybe you should just call them and ask to get involved.

      I don't have the stomach for that, myself. But I'm astonished at how many people still use that service and or how much money they throw at it
      One of my clients is going to have them out next week, but I thought maybe there was someplace online with their sales training materials or an online presentation.

      I have been told their reps do not take no for an answer and are tenacious.

      There are two strip centers where they have signed every single merchant.

      I AM IMPRESSED!

      One of the merchants is a Chinese Buffet and the owner speaks no English.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5874016].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mobile Tactics
        Originally Posted by NetEmpire View Post

        One of my clients is going to have them out next week
        Could you be there when they come out and report back?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5874617].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author agonce
          Originally Posted by Mobile Tactics View Post

          Could you be there when they come out and report back?
          Yeah, it'd be great if you could actually record the presentation, if not possibly video, then just the audio. But I am sure not all the representatives are the same, but they probably use the same pitch and presentation material. It would really help all of us trying to sell Bob's style postcard
          Thanks!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5874915].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HypeText
      They do all their Training thru ValPak University and its all kept all nice and hush hush...
      Signature
      (916) 520-HYPE (4973)
      Local & Mobile Marketing Solutions
      $0 Setup & $99/mnth Private Label Reseller Accts
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5874093].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author redlegrich
    Do you have a friend that owns a biz that would use ValPak? If so invite ValPak in to the biz and sit in. Record it as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5874082].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
    I dont know what they say but it really cant be that hard of a sale. You show what other advertising costs and how valpak gets you into the homes at a tiny fraction of that price. You hit them up with stats about direct mail, show them some testimonials , cut them a deal to sign long term and there you have it.

    The quality of offers has fallen in our market over the last few years and there are lots of negatives that us in the know might be familiar with BUT it is hard to argue when broken down to a per household rate.
    Signature
    Promise Big.
    Deliver Bigger.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5874331].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dropbear
    just call them as a potential client..simple..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5874365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Doran Peck
    You should look at Bob Ross's thread (make 5000 a month and be a hero) it is a superior option for your clients.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5874587].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    6 to 12month contracts amazing you? Serious if Valpak brings in the business for them why would they ever stop using them?

    Think about that? Does what you offer give month after month of value? If so the business will always pay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875437].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetEmpire
      Originally Posted by Aaron Doud View Post

      6 to 12month contracts amazing you? Serious if Valpak brings in the business for them why would they ever stop using them?

      Think about that? Does what you offer give month after month of value? If so the business will always pay.
      I have only spoken to 5 of the merchants in my current ValPak and they are not happy campers.

      Very angry in fact.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941174].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mister Natural
        Originally Posted by NetEmpire View Post

        I have only spoken to 5 of the merchants in my current ValPak and they are not happy campers.

        Very angry in fact.
        Exactly.
        Google search terms like "valpak+lawsuits", "valpak + sucks" " vs. ValPak,
        you will see what a dirty company they are along with the propaganda they spread in an attempt to portray that company as the greatest thing since sex.
        I don't doubt their testimonials are faked.
        There are dozens of forums online with discussions raging about what a ripoff valpak is. Val pak has all their franchises searching google alerts for any negative statements, after which a "new" member will join the conversation praising valpak with a 1000 word rebuttal.

        Now,,,,
        let's see how long it takes before one of those ValPak puppets join this thread.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941781].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rambo9600
          Originally Posted by Mister Natural View Post

          Exactly.
          Google search terms like "valpak+lawsuits", "valpak + sucks" " vs. ValPak,
          you will see what a dirty company they are along with the propaganda they spread in an attempt to portray that company as the greatest thing since sex.
          I don't doubt their testimonials are faked.
          There are dozens of forums online with discussions raging about what a ripoff valpak is. Val pak has all their franchises searching google alerts for any negative statements, after which a "new" member will join the conversation praising valpak with a 1000 word rebuttal.

          Now,,,,
          let's see how long it takes before one of those ValPak puppets join this thread.
          Always test yourself to get feedback. People say the Yellow Pages still suck, I can tell you that is not true. There are now LESS advertisers, rates are lower, and in the older/mature niche YP advertising is still #1. If I were in Naples, Florida I would focus a lot of my advertising to the YP and direct mail.

          Real marketers don't follow the crowd, they test and seek out answers. 99% of WF members will tell you the Yellow Pages is DEAD, that simply is not true.

          Want to know the BEST way to tell if ValPak works? Simply call businesses who are featured in ValPak month after month and ask what they think. The smaller businesses will give you a more honest answer because they have small budgets, like a dog groomer.

          Valpak, like any media has different results for different niches and larger cities.

          I've told almost every single business owner I work with to stay with Valpak, they are getting great results. Dog grooming, pizza joints, take out food, etc... do very well in decent size cities.

          Like anything else, you need a great offer and a tight deadline to make it work. I'm sure there are many businesses that get crap results, I'm just not sure what type of niches they're in.

          In my city the cost is $350 per 10,000 inserts (3.5 cents per home). It shouldn't be that hard to get a decent ROI on that. ValPak has also been around a long time, business owners know and trust the name already. I have no idea how these reps sell Valpak services but it doesn't seem like such a hard sell to me. I'm sure every rep in any given area has a ton of businesses who are doing great with them so testimonials should be fairly easy to get.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5943145].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author NetEmpire
            Originally Posted by rambo9600 View Post

            Always test yourself to get feedback. People say the Yellow Pages still suck, I can tell you that is not true. There are now LESS advertisers, rates are lower, and in the older/mature niche YP advertising is still #1. If I were in Naples, Florida I would focus a lot of my advertising to the YP and direct mail.

            Real marketers don't follow the crowd, they test and seek out answers. 99% of WF members will tell you the Yellow Pages is DEAD, that simply is not true.

            Want to know the BEST way to tell if ValPak works? Simply call businesses who are featured in ValPak month after month and ask what they think. The smaller businesses will give you a more honest answer because they have small budgets, like a dog groomer.

            Valpak, like any media has different results for different niches and larger cities.

            I've told almost every single business owner I work with to stay with Valpak, they are getting great results. Dog grooming, pizza joints, take out food, etc... do very well in decent size cities.

            Like anything else, you need a great offer and a tight deadline to make it work. I'm sure there are many businesses that get crap results, I'm just not sure what type of niches they're in.

            In my city the cost is $350 per 10,000 inserts (3.5 cents per home). It shouldn't be that hard to get a decent ROI on that. ValPak has also been around a long time, business owners know and trust the name already. I have no idea how these reps sell Valpak services but it doesn't seem like such a hard sell to me. I'm sure every rep in any given area has a ton of businesses who are doing great with them so testimonials should be fairly easy to get.
            If the would teach their sales reps to actually write decent ads, and forget the locked in contract. If an ad is working, the merchant will continue.

            It is like the "Dan Kennedy" style ads in the Yellow Pages, for the correct industry, those are like a lead generation machine.

            Even Guthy-Renker is using direct response Yellow Page advertising now for ProActive.

            However, if the profit margins were not so good, and ProActive wasn't based on continuity, the cost would be prohibitive to run Yellow Page ads across the country.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5960691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
    What are they complaining about. Lack of sales- how long has it been out?
    Or are there other issues.
    Signature
    Promise Big.
    Deliver Bigger.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941183].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Pierre!
      It's the old 'In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One Eyed Man Is King!"

      I have heard *great* Groupon stories - they pay you on the first, middle, and end of campaign... lots of traffic came in too!

      ValPack also rules down here in the Zona... along with Savvy Shopper.

      Lots of good reports...

      And horror stories. It's about 2 to one - Two horror stories to 1 good campaign.

      I just tell them that there is no contract, but I will give you the first right of refusal for the next campaign, and do you have a non-competing business you like that would alternate with you?

      After all, your clients will not get lost or distracted looking for deals in YOUR market place or niche while digging through competitive coupons or flipping through pages to find YOU...

      Then I start talking about US business owners...

      I explain that I am in a Master Mind group that is putting this together all over the USA. 'If we don't stick together, we aren't going to make it... but by sharing what works we can all rise together out of this slump!"

      It's a well received message, and one they aren't use to hearing. I can't quantify results just yet, but I am selling the Co-Op advertising Group, not just the card... and I get alot of head nodding which I take to be a good sign!

      When / If you pick up the Bob Ross WSO on the 9 x 12 inch postcard, just don't overlook all the resources in there... I *just* found the part about pitching and how to get this down... It's in the RapidResponse-BobRoss folder under December WSO-Bonus. That's the way it unzips.... I dunno why...

      Things are starting to look up...

      Now I just have to survive getting through the Graphics part! (LOL)

      Lots of *excellent* tips in the Bob Ross WSO... if it's still available.

      HTH

      Patrick
      Signature
      Internet Safety Tips - The Essentials
      Internet Safety Tips – “The Essentials” – Examples Of Attacks
      Check out this chapter, then sign up to download YOUR copy!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    Well I guess I am one of those ValPak puppets.

    I sold my web development company to the owner of the single largest ValPak franchise group (30 of the largest cities in the US) back in 1999 and became the web division for that company.

    We worked with Cox to help develop the original valpak.com website.

    I guess that makes me a ValPak puppet, right?

    Valpak is a franchise operation... so when you say things like "a dirty company", you're talking about many different companies with different owners. Cox is the owner of the brand, but how things get managed and sold are akin to your local Dairy Queen franchise. I've been in some really $hitty DQ franchises and some really good ones.

    The owner of my former partner company, Reach Publishing, is one of the most honest, forthright, inspiring guys that I know. He's extremely successful, and doesn't screw anyone. You're always going to have customer problems, and business owners aren't exempt from the "crazy" that consumers also exhibit from time to time. There's a myriad of reasons for why things happen, but knowing how Valpak works on an intimate basis - from how the sales are managed to how the envelopes get printed and shipped... I can assertively state the few grumbling anecdotes on the web of some pissed off customers are pale in comparison to the over 100,000 satisfied business owner customers just in my former partner's franchise group.

    But then again, I'm a Valpak puppet, so take my words with a grain of salt.

    ROFL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5943448].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
    My sister in law owns a company, and all she uses to advertise is Val Pak.
    That little coupon in the blue envelope brings all her business.

    She also has an in with the franchise manager...

    But she still spends around $2,500/month for around 10 areas or so
    Signature
    Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
    - Neale Donald Wilson -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5961520].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
      Originally Posted by vndnbrgj View Post

      My sister in law owns a company, and all she uses to advertise is Val Pak.
      That little coupon in the blue envelope brings all her business.

      She also has an in with the franchise manager...

      But she still spends around $2,500/month for around 10 areas or so
      What kind of biz?
      Signature
      Promise Big.
      Deliver Bigger.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5961585].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetEmpire
      Originally Posted by vndnbrgj View Post

      My sister in law owns a company, and all she uses to advertise is Val Pak.
      That little coupon in the blue envelope brings all her business.

      She also has an in with the franchise manager...

      But she still spends around $2,500/month for around 10 areas or so
      If you save like a years worth of ValPak offers, and look at the merchants still advertising, it becomes obvious as to why.

      It's all in the offer and call to action.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5963551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author atrbiz
    I personally trash the ValPaks everytime I get them... even though I haven't done direct mail before, from a marketing stand point it would make sense to mail out individual post cards with great call to actions vs 100 coupons in one envelope IMO.

    It might even be a good idea to call on ValPak advertisers and sell them on solo direct mails, SEO,etc?

    - Ahmad
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965166].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
      Originally Posted by atrbiz View Post

      I personally trash the ValPaks everytime I get them... even though I haven't done direct mail before, from a marketing stand point it would make sense to mail out individual post cards with great call to actions vs 100 coupons in one envelope IMO.

      It might even be a good idea to call on ValPak advertisers and sell them on solo direct mails, SEO,etc?

      - Ahmad
      Sound good and Valpak does offer solo mails BUT there is a big difference in cost that makes it unappealing to the vast majority of those who advertise in Valpak.
      Signature
      Promise Big.
      Deliver Bigger.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965360].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adwizard
    I have competed and killed valpak in about 1 million homes on the north coast of Ohio since 1993... I've published a beautiful coupon magazine that had a much longer rentention rate in the homes and much higher redemption rate of the coupons. But that still doesn't mean that valpak doesn't work. If it provides the business owner a positive return then it was good. I had many clients that I told continue to do both pieces unless you start breaking out in a rash from all the money. I have sit down with several of my clients and watched their sales presentations, and it definitely does differ from one salesperson to another.

    What they do teach those sales reps are to work smarter than harder. You sign businesses up for multiple issues for a couple reasons but the very main reason is: Any vehicle you put your advertisment into is going to work better over time. Did you guys get that, I hope so because everyone should be signing businesses for multiple issues!!! For their own benefit even... I explain it like this: Mr. Advertiser, I would be doing a disservice to you if I don't explain why you need to be in my magazine at least three times to guage the real benefit... There is what's called the three "A's" of advertising... the first time a new customer see's your ad it makes them Aware, the second time it makes them pay Attention, and the third time it makes them Act... You would never run just one ad on TV would you? Or just one commercial on the Radio or even in the newspaper... you simply don't do that and it would be unfair if you judged your response to my magazine or valpak or anything else having only tried it one time. That is why we offer a discount for running in multiple issues. Now I offer exclusivity for everything except food and it's easy for me to ask someone whom wants to only run one time which of their competitors would they like to see me give that catagory to.

    Hope that helps,
    Ed

    Need anymore direct mail tips I'm full of them
    Signature
    Building Businesses Beyond their Four Walls by
    Thinking Outside the Box... since 1993.
    Is anyone capable of designing a mobile site for
    this e-commerce site for a fee:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966399].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adwizard
    ValPak does offer solo mail and also I just heard it through the grapevine... be on the lookout because they are going to start offering SMS
    Signature
    Building Businesses Beyond their Four Walls by
    Thinking Outside the Box... since 1993.
    Is anyone capable of designing a mobile site for
    this e-commerce site for a fee:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966414].message }}

Trending Topics