The 8 Simple Rules of Sales

11 replies
I do apologize for posting this again. I had posted it yesterday, and it seems that the thread had disappeared. I'm not sure why, because I am extremely confident that this information doesn't violate any WF rules. Anyway, I decided to repost it just in case the information can be of help to others since I have heard very favorable reviews about the content.


In this video I share with you my 8 Simple Rules of Selling which I teach to not only my own sales reps but also to sales professionals of other companies. What I have found is that by and large the biggest obstacle sales people face limiting their success is a lack of confidence. Sadly, this lack of confidence usually comes from feeling kinda "icky" about our profession. Far too many sales people seem to be either a bit ashamed or embarrassed about being in sales. This is sad because in truth, sales is one of the most distinguished careers anyone can have if you're offering products and services that hold real value and you're marketing them in honest and ethical ways.

I firmly believe that any sales person who is willing to lie to his/her clients to close a deal doesn't deserve the sale to begin with. And any sales coach who teaches that you have to bend the truth a little to succeed is not only wrong but is also responsible for destroying our profession and helping to facilitate the lack of confidence that many sales people have. That mentality serves only to foster the internal sleezeball feelings that many an honest sales guy or gal has about himself. So my advice, always speak the truth and only promote/sell products and services that you believe in and that can benefit or give value to your clients. If you can do those two things while keeping my 8 simple rules in mind, you will find it near impossible to keep from holding your head high with confidence and integrity. And best of all, if you find it easy to hold your head high with confidence and integrity, you're also going to find that each of the steps of the sales process become that much easier to master.
#rules #sales #simple
  • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
    "Believe in what you're selling!" "You're not a con artist!" "Profit is good!"

    Gee, thanks for the tips.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6614830].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PeacefulCalamity
      Originally Posted by beeswarn View Post

      "Believe in what you're selling!" "You're not a con artist!" "Profit is good!"

      Gee, thanks for the tips.
      Sarcasm isn't so easily detected on forums. Unless you're not actually being sarcastic.
      Signature

      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6615339].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6614906].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    Nice. I'm glad you posted this. I like the format and style of your video!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6615052].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 1HomeBizer
    When trying to drive traffic to your MLM website what is the best cost effective approach if you are starting on a shoe string budget?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6618298].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hometutor
      People with sales experience, as I noted above, look at this information as a everyone knows that kind of thing, but I've been in sales over thirty years. I help people get their businesses started. The little amount people know about sales and business when thy firs start is staggering.

      90% (I think it is) of all businesses fail the first year
      Start up business owners believe the product will "sell itself"
      Start up business owners blame the client for not understanding the nature of the product and that is whey the client didn't buy


      So, although I may look at this at first and think "duh" it is information many start up business owners do not have.

      Part time, full time, off line, online people are the same. Sales-psychology remains the same.

      Rick
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6618393].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JaceBarnett
        Originally Posted by hometutor View Post

        People with sales experience, as I noted above, look at this information as a everyone knows that kind of thing, but I've been in sales over thirty years. I help people get their businesses started. The little amount people know about sales and business when thy firs start is staggering.

        90% (I think it is) of all businesses fail the first year
        Start up business owners believe the product will "sell itself"
        Start up business owners blame the client for not understanding the nature of the product and that is whey the client didn't buy


        So, although I may look at this at first and think "duh" it is information many start up business owners do not have.

        Part time, full time, off line, online people are the same. Sales-psychology remains the same.

        Rick
        There's a reason I call it my 8 SIMPLE Rules. The fact is too many people try to learn and master all sorts of advanced techniques and principles. And while I do think that we should always work on harnessing and improving our craft, sales really isn't all that tough. But if you don't get the basics down and your attitude stinks you're going to drive an awful lot of prospects away with "commission breath."
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6618526].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author hometutor
          Not tough, and I'm not being argumentative just adding to the discussion, but increasing sales can call for precise language.

          Your free sample instead of a free sample

          Call on a card instead of Phone

          Feel felt found

          Holding out your hand to shake on the deal as a strong close

          These can all increase your sales and should eventually be discovered by a business-person.

          Rick
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6618595].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JaceBarnett
            Originally Posted by hometutor View Post

            Not tough, and I'm not being argumentative just adding to the discussion, but increasing sales can call for precise language.

            Your free sample instead of a free sample

            Call on a card instead of Phone

            Feel felt found

            Holding out your hand to shake on the deal as a strong close

            These can all increase your sales and should eventually be discovered by a business-person.

            Rick
            Nor did I think you were being argumentative Rick. Nor did I say that the my 8 simple rules was all a sales-person needed to succeed.

            What I said was that mastering these 8 steps allows one to feel good about him/herself and wear a confident smile. That confidence makes mastering the others steps in the sales process a lot easier. It is for that reason that I think a positive mind needs to be fostered long before I ever teach game-winning rebuttals like those found in my signature.

            I don't think that being positive and liking who you are ensures you leave a presentation with a check in hand, but I do think that being negative and not liking what you see looking back at you in the mirror can ensure that you won't.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6618664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fawxkitteh
    thanks for the sales tip. i have experienced that for sales, SEO is much much effective and a good way to increase.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6619130].message }}

Trending Topics