26 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Let's say my content was copied by someone else, how could I handle it? Should I try filing a DMCA to take the site copying my content down?

Thanks for the help!
#content #duplicate
  • Profile picture of the author Karan Rawat
    Originally Posted by tantykimi View Post

    Let's say my content was copied by someone else, how could I handle it? Should I try filing a DMCA to take the site copying my content down?

    Thanks for the help!


    Do you have copy right for your own Content?:confused:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9176041].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webdevpro
    For filing a DMCA complaint you will need to officially prove that the contents are yours.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9176054].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author patco
    Just to say that this could be difficult, but one important thing is that your website was indexed with this content FIRST and BEFORE the other copied one!
    Signature

    A blog that will show you How to Lose Weight with a cool Quick Weight Loss guide...
    Also enjoy some of my favorite Funny pictures and photos that will make you smile :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9176485].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by patco View Post

      but one important thing is that your website was indexed with this content FIRST and BEFORE the other copied one!
      Good grief, for the 2 millionth time the first site/page to post content doesn't mean squat when it comes to SEO & ranking pages.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9176500].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LastWarrior
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        Good grief, for the 2 millionth time the first site/page to post content doesn't mean squat when it comes to SEO & ranking pages.
        Ok, Younguns, I have about a dozen people on here who hold my respect and you, god help me, happens to be one of them. So with that said, I'm very familiar with people passing around bull-hockey pucks, etc, but what you've said caught my attention.

        I thought as one of the 200+ G. Algo's that one of them had to do with dup.con. and that the first evidence of content doesn't have to worry about DP issues or penalties. Now you come along and say words that dispel this. Not to say I'm "calling you out", but by what criteria do you have or experience that shows you otherwise?

        LastWarrior
        Signature



        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177184].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Electrical
          Originally Posted by LastWarrior View Post

          Ok, Younguns, I have about a dozen people on here who hold my respect and you, god help me, happens to be one of them. So with that said, I'm very familiar with people passing around bull-hockey pucks, etc, but what you've said caught my attention.

          I thought as one of the 200+ G. Algo's that one of them had to do with dup.con. and that the first evidence of content doesn't have to worry about DP issues or penalties. Now you come along and say words that dispel this. Not to say I'm "calling you out", but by what criteria do you have or experience that shows you otherwise?

          LastWarrior
          I've read countless examples from people about how they had a website up for a long period of time and someone came along and copied it and the fact that their own was up first did not help in any way.

          I also gave my own personal experience in the last thread on this topic:

          About a year ago my website was indexed by Google for about 3 months. A friend just had a website made for him and he told the guy making it to make it very similar to mine as far as layout and the way the content was going to be. The guy ended up copying and pasting my content word for word.

          By the time I found out, Google already indexed his website. The problem was when I searched for my content (for example, a sentence inside of quotes) his website came up first! You didn't even see my website unless you clicked the link that said "click here to see similar results".

          So just having your content up first is NOT good enough.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177414].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          Originally Posted by LastWarrior View Post

          Ok, Younguns, I have about a dozen people on here who hold my respect and you, god help me, happens to be one of them. So with that said, I'm very familiar with people passing around bull-hockey pucks, etc, but what you've said caught my attention.

          I thought as one of the 200+ G. Algo's that one of them had to do with dup.con. and that the first evidence of content doesn't have to worry about DP issues or penalties. Now you come along and say words that dispel this. Not to say I'm "calling you out", but by what criteria do you have or experience that shows you otherwise?

          LastWarrior
          I know from experience but I'll go ahead & do the search for you. Here's a few that will get you started:

          The whole idea of first person that publishes content is just silly.

          Google has no idea who posted the content first. Crawl date & cache dates don't prove which domain first published content because a scraper site might get crawled daily while the original source of the content might get crawled weekly/monthly.

          It's basic SEO, whoever has the better on-page/off-page SEO wins.
          Signature
          Hi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178214].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daones
    First step, contact the owner of the site and ask nicely to remove it and show them your content where it is located... If they dont reply back contact their hosting company and let them know about the stolen content.... Generally they will ask you to fill out a form though depending on the host. You can find that info on the domain whois.

    If that dont work you can try DMCA.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9176599].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bigeasy504
    someone copied my shit on my blog hxxp://woodtv.com/2014/05/07/new-home-construction-booming-in-w-mi
    What are my options... I paid A Lot for that article
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9176900].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pryidevsblog
      Originally Posted by Bigeasy504 View Post

      someone copied my shit on my blog hxxp://woodtv.com/2014/05/07/new-home-construction-booming-in-w-mi
      What are my options... I paid A Lot for that article
      Don't worry about that.. If you published that content first than it won't hurt your site.
      Signature

      Are you looking for Magento Custom Development and Android Apps Developer than your search ends here.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danny Shaw
    I future try and always tag your content and state in your privacy page the reason for doing so. I use #mmonewz this way if someone do copy your work you have a way to prove the content is yours. You could hide this in html or have it in plain site but will help with DMC in the future.
    Signature
    **5 DAY FREE TRIAL** - The ultimate social media bot (FB, Instagram, Pinterest & G+).........
    Grab it >> HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesScruggs1
    If you are thinking about DMCA then it is tough to prove that, anyone copied your content then just write new content to your site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KristinaRoy
    tantykimi, if someone already copied your content then you should contact to webmaster regarding removing your content. In the case of DMCA, you should have evidence that copied content is yours. So, you should protect website to copy content again in near future.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177203].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author murphyy
    If your content is original than it is already indexed by search engines.So you don't have to be worry about because who copied your content will not be able to show that to the world because he is not gonna get search engine rank with copy paste content.So don't worry....

    You may also like to know :
    >> How to protect your wordpress blog from being hacked?
    >> Protect your wordpress site from spam comment

    Even I have seen some people add DMCA banner to their website but I don't understand if someone wish to steel my content than how will I be able to stop him??
    So according to me,You should let the search engine handle this matter.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177310].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kyrptl
      Originally Posted by murphyy View Post

      If your content is original than it is already indexed by search engines.So you don't have to be worry about because who copied your content will not be able to show that to the world because he is not gonna get search engine rank with copy paste content.So don't worry....

      You may also like to know :
      >> How to protect your wordpress blog from being hacked?
      >> Protect your wordpress site from spam comment

      Even I have seen some people add DMCA banner to their website but I don't understand if someone wish to steel my content than how will I be able to stop him??
      So according to me,You should let the search engine handle this matter.
      Murphy what happen if somebody stole your content as soon as possible after publish on competitor blog?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kyrptl
    Bro. You must configure copyscape and don't do like this. Because you should have your copyrights on your web/blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kulwantnagi
    Filing DMCA against him would be a better idea because Google takes quick action for such cases..

    But before proceeding further you should send him a friendly mail telling him that you are trying to copy my content which is illegal. If you are continue to do so then I am going to take quick action against you which can delete your blog from Google search engine and you can loss your hard-earned money (if he is making any).

    If he is still not replying then you can go for DMCA.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vishwa
    Simple log in to your gmail account and file a complain to Google at https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...rt?hl=en&pli=1 By the way always use Google Authorship for your content. It will help you to protect your content.
    Signature

    Blogging Tips & Tricks @ https://blogwithvk.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9177794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BWHadam
    write down to hosting, see whois of the IP address and send an email to abuse department, you ll content will be removed or website will be suspended.
    Signature

    Your Slow Website is Killing Your Business!
    Run Your Website like a Ferrari with our FAST VPS in $9/mo

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178081].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Electrical
      Originally Posted by BWHadam View Post

      write down to hosting, see whois of the IP address and send an email to abuse department, you ll content will be removed or website will be suspended.
      So you mean that anyone with an e-mail address has the ability to take down any website they want? It's that simple, huh?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178086].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BWHadam
        Originally Posted by Electrical View Post

        So you mean that anyone with an e-mail address has the ability to take down any website they want? It's that simple, huh?
        not an email, he needs to prove the claim and show the evidences.
        Signature

        Your Slow Website is Killing Your Business!
        Run Your Website like a Ferrari with our FAST VPS in $9/mo

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178096].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Electrical
          Originally Posted by BWHadam View Post

          not an email, he needs to prove the claim and show the evidences.
          What proof does he send? Anything that can be attached to an e-mail can be easily doctored.

          All I am saying is that it's not nearly as easy as you make it out to be.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sunganani
    I don't know about the DCMA process but you might want to use a plugin (if you use wordpress) called Digiprove. It annoys thieves from copying your content. It's free in the plugin repository.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178283].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonesMurray
    Yes, you need to get help to DMCA who can help with stolen blog content, videos, pictures, websites, games and more. Any country, any content, anywhere.


    Also you need to install copyscape or get premium membership from it. Any time any one try to copy your CONTENT, you will get the email so you can take the immediate action on it.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9179260].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      DMCA does not work in 99% of the world.
      The internet world runs and thrives on stolen stuff,
      from pics to videos, and movies to content.
      US law has zip authority outside the US.

      Oh sure, there are meaningless treaties...but who gives
      a rip about US law? Even youtube is under so-called
      "safe harbor" exemptions.

      Don't you think the US would love to take down wikileaks,
      snowden's nonsense, etc?

      It's a losing battle.

      Nothing I lose sleep over.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9179591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nail Yener
    Originally Posted by tantykimi View Post

    Let's say my content was copied by someone else, how could I handle it? Should I try filing a DMCA to take the site copying my content down?

    Thanks for the help!
    First, contact the site owner. It is unlikely you will get a response in most cases. I got once. If you can't reach the site owner or if the owner doesn't take your content down, contact the hosting company that site is hosted with. You can find that info from who.is type of sites. Any established hosting company will take your complaint seriously. Here is a sample DMCA notice.

    Meanwhile, you can also contact Google (and other search engines if you like) and ask them to remove that page from their search results. You can do that on this page.

    If none works, unless you want to go further down the legal way, you can't do anything about it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9179609].message }}

Trending Topics