I just recently started affiliate marketing. I did some researches on this field on the ways people generate money from affiliate marketing. One of the ways they mentioned is to use solo ads to drive traffic to your landing page (squeeze page), which is used to collect email from your leads. Then your leads are directed to a thank you page, and then there is a button where your leads can be taken to the sales page of the product you are promoting. They also said that the top 3 niches to promote are MMO, dating, and fitness/ weight loss.
After researching on keyword monthly searches and such, I have chosen MMO for my niche, since it has a high monthly search. I use Clickbank to choose the product I want to promote, since some marketers suggested this. I then started doing the steps laid out exactly as above by other marketers. The inspiration for landing page and thank you page are drawn from other's affiliate marketers ones, with some modifications. I then bought solo ads for 100 visitors to my landing page from udimi.com (as some marketers suggested this). This costs $50 me to get the visitors.
After I got all 120 visitors (with overdelivery), I can see that I have optin rate of 34% (40 visitors), while 29 visitors viewed the thank you page. However, I got no sales with all the visitors. I am not sure where is goes wrong, since I have done exactly as other affiliate marketers said.
If I assume that the visitors size is too small to generate sales, and assuming I need an email list of 1000 subscribers to make decent income, then if we assume $0.50 per visitors for the solo ads and 10% optin rate, I would need to spend $4800 to get my list to 1000, which is bit too much for me. On the other hand, free traffic (SEO, Youtube etc) would take a long time I guess.
For those who managed to generate income from affiliate marketing, my questions are:
1. How do you get visitors when you are starting out?
2. How do you make sales after visitors have optin their emails in your landing page? Do you have a thank you page and a sales page later?
3. What do you do with your email lists when you are starting out? Do you always send out emails that have your affiliate links? Or do you send out emails that provide free contents without any affiliate link? Or do your emails always act as a pre-sell that ultimately build up to a sales day later on?
4. Do you think email size matter? What's the least number of emails that you think is needed to make decent income?
4. How long do you take from starting out to making a decent income now?
Thanks so much for your attention.